• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Incoherent Falsified and Illogical Star Wars Galaxies Thoughts

Gattsu25

Banned
Just to get this out of the way, these impressions are from an extremely biased source.

flag_bastok.jpg

on to the impressions then.

Version of SWG I played is the free 18 or so far trial that's on Fileplanet (ugh)

Started off by making a Trandoshan Brawler...LIZARDMEN RAWK or so I thought until I started combat. Maybe I was spoiled by the “vastly inferior” FFXI but one thing that immediately jumped out at me was…not even half of the battle animations show. The fights also took far longer than I was used to for these types of games. I know this is a complaint that is usually thrown against MMORPGs, but I was honestly able to initiate a fight, run downstairs and fix up a sandwich and combe back to the PC in time to finish off the fight. So yeah, the battle system is not flashy in looks and the actual fights took too long IMHFO, the mechanics themselves aren't that exciting either though there is room for a lot of growth. Not sticking with that though. Lower level enemies outside of the city dropped no items or credits...so I remained poor until i was screwing around the city and noticed some enemies roaming the streets-bandits. Killed around 10 of those bitches and made some nice money off of them...did some missions and made some more money....but was already noticing a lack of interest in the class. Leveled up my unarmed and two-handed weapon skills before i gave up on melee. then i made my Twi'lek Entertainer. Screwed around with this for a while then remade my character as a female Twi'lek with torso on the highest value. *ahem* Ran into a cantina and started playing some music raising my musician skill...got a tall white-furred Wookie requesting 'my services' .... ignored him and kept adding some unique moves into my music before he asked me to stand closer to him....err......long story short, i ended up leveling my dancing skill instead (as per his request) and walked out of the cantina 5,000 credits richer...whatever....used the credits to buy a piece of clothing called a revealing skinwrap and made a macro that made me dance, perform a special move every 25 seconds, and request tips every 3 minutes...left my character with that macro running inside a cantina and went to sleep...came back and had over 20K in the bank...yay...had enough money to--actually...there was nothing i wanted to do...bah. ran around and bought some new shoes !! and a new instrument and never touched that character since...boo. Went back to my melee character and liked the battle system less after each fight...made a Scout and couldn't bring myself to play for over 10 minutes...made a Medic with similar results and then made an Artisan....which wasn't that bad. enjoyed the item creation process for a whole 15 minutes...would uninnstall the game but my brother seems to see an actual game in that shitpile...so whatever. The game does do some things good though....like the Interface and Macro system...interface takes a while to learn but is very powerful and the Macro system is great, although the ease of creating a (warning: FFXI terminology) fishbot-style macro isn't that good...but when the game is this much fun, who can blame them? So to sum it all up: SWGisn'tthatfunandiwouldn'tsuggestyouplayitplayarealgamelikeffxibecauseffxiisbetterandisespeciallybetterthanthatposcalledlineage2thankyouandhaveaniceday

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I thought SWG was decent, I enjoyed what I played of it (2 months).
It just felt like it was going nowhere, and there was not enough static content.

Plus expectations were WAY too high.

Brannon

Plus expectations were WAY too high.

Yeah, a lot of people were expecting STAR WARS to take the WARS to the STARS. Entire legions of players getting together in their own Star Destroyer to player kill entire cities only to be stopped if their premier Jedi could take on and defeat their premier Sith. But they end up running from space rats on a desert trying to kill them "for teh XP".

DAMN THEM.

Gattsu25

Banned
actually, i just expected it to offer some sort of 'fun' content :) it DID, however, by the time i found that content i had already lost all interest in the game

Hooker

I downloaded the trail as well and that pretty much sums everything up. :(

I hope WoW is a bit different from this :/

For an action/MMO, look at Citizen Zero while you're at it. Xbox Live. Played it at E3; looked pretty cool. Can't vouch for anything beyond "Looked and played decent running on a LAN", but hey - that's E3 for ya.

Gattsu25

Banned
Hooker, I have faith in Blizzard...while they do attract the most retarded fans of any game company, they make very solid games, and I doubt that will change with WoW.

However, if Diablo and Warcraft are anything to go by, joining random groups is not a good idea...get a band of people that you know and play exclusively with them :)

Just thought I'd say it *again*, WoW artwork and environments are great looking, but the in-game characters look horendous. :b

What crap impressions. SWG is SOOOOO much more than you are giving it credit for. It's like jumping into an FFXi free-trial and stating how boring, un-inspired it is because all you do is kill rabbits. :rolleyes:

For the person wanting X-Wing/Tie Fighter in an MMO, read the latest issue of PC Gamer. The space expansion is going to be twitch, twitch twitch, and will even include support for joysticks!

At launch SWG was pure crap w/ such a lack of content. It has gotten so much better w/ vehicles and player cities. The space expansion is going to make this the best MMO in a while.

Edit- Didn't notice thread title and first sentence in post, excuse my post. :p

Gattsu25

Banned
What crap impressions.

Firstly, these aren't really impressions.

Secondly, you should consider reading the title again.

Thirsdly, I am not saying SWG is a bad game...just that I thought it was shit from what I played of it along with broken retelling of some of my 'adventures'

Edit- Didn't notice thread title and first sentence in post, excuse my post. :p

EL OH EL

How the hell did you find your way in here, then?

Gattsu25

Banned
DJ never made it past 10 IIRC, but that's besides the point :b

This is a SWG thought thread...please keep all FFXI-only comments to other such designated threads

what i would like is someone to counter or continue my thoughts on SWG...someone who at least READ TEH DAMN THREAD TITLE for George's sake ><

give me your experiences with the game, both positive and negative...let me know what others think of it

Gattsu25 said:
DJ never made it past 10 IIRC, but that's besides the point :b

This is a SWG thought thread...please keep all FFXI-only comments to other such designated threads

what i would like is someone to counter or continue my thoughts on SWG...someone who at least READ TEH DAMN THREAD TITLE for George's sake ><

give me your experiences with the game, both positive and negative...let me know what others think of it

Sorry Gattsu, couldn't resist the urge to troll FFXI. ;P

On topic, I played SWG for about 6 months from Oct 03-March04. I quit just before the Jedi revamp (having made it approximately 60% of the way to Jedi under the old system). The game was slow at first, but soon after I started playing they added player cities and vehicles. Since I had chosen Master Artisan, I was fortunate enough to cash in on the vehicle craze and was able to successfully fund my unsuccessful Jedi run in its entireity. I was hurting for cash here and there, but I didn't play as smart as I could on resource gathering. SWG is extremely advanced for an MMORPG in terms of in-game economy. It really is a model for many other games to copy. On the whole, there's a whole lot that is done right with SWG, and to SOE's credit, they really are fixing the few things that don't work. I left because I tired of the Jedi grind, but I will definitely be going back for the Space Expansion, and perhaps earlier (everyone who I played with that is still playing says the game has become even better and that there are more revamps planned--including a complete combat system revamp that supposedly mimics City of Heroes' system).

For value for your money, I'd say no other MMORPG beats SWG. But, it depends on how much you dig the universe.

Tabris

I'm sorry :(

I saw this thread, I was like ooohh, SWG impressions, cause the game interests me.

Then you mentioned FFXI, and I thought "FFXI does rock!". So thus I thought I would share my thought with all of you.

Top Bottom