• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instead of prom king and queen, H.S. crowns 2 'royal knights'

CyberPanda

Banned
After a transgender teenager was told he could not run for prom king, prompting a backlash, officials at his Georgia high school decided to make the prom court categories gender-neutral — leaving an opening for the student to still be crowned school royalty.

“I think they changed the categories because they were starting to understand exactly how far our movement could go,” the teenager, Dex Frier, who came out as trans in his sophomore year, told NBC News. “Our superintendent said that he didn’t want to put our school in between a hot topic, but he did that by neglecting to have rules that dictate gender-ruled ballots in the first place.”

Dex FrierCourtesy of Dex Frier
Frier, a 17-year-old senior at Johnson High School in Gainesville, Georgia, told NBC News last week that school officials had removed him from the list of prom king nominees and encouraged him to enter as a prom queen contender instead. A petition started last week calling for Frier’s return to the prom king ballot amassed nearly 32,000 signatures before claiming victory.

“Not only are we confused at this decision, but we are severely disappointed in the Hall County School Board,” the petition stated. “The two core beliefs of Hall County Schools are outlined on their webpage: ‘The Most Caring Place On Earth’ and ‘Character, Competency, and Rigor…For All.’”

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/instead-prom-king-queen-h-s-crowns-2-royal-knights-n987716

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't even go to prom. I never got the point.

Is knight not a masculine word in English?

In my (gendered) language its definitely masculine.

Or is it like how Elton Johns is a knight?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Dex is a good name for someone changing genders. I would prefer writing it Dax though.

Traianvs

I don't know the relevance about prom and all the shit surrounding it because it's something that in my country we simply don't do...
Anyway I don't see the problem with a trans person competing in this kind of whatever it is. Let the kids decide not officials and supernintendents.
Younglings (lol) these day are capable of empathy and acceptance.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Should just call em cunts.
Anyone can be a cunt.

cryptoadam

Banned
Meh just let him be prom king. This isn't like sports, this is a popularity contest and if this guy is the coolest kid in school then let him have that small victory.

In the end you realize that High School is not really that important and most of the crap you do there fades in time. Get your education, get your degree, and then prepare for adulthood. Being the prom king isn't going to pay the bills when you are drowning in student debt and just got fired from your job.

Dthomp

Man, kids today just can not handle being told "no"...

Yup, can’t let one kid be upset over something. This world has turned beyond soft at this point. Eventually we will stop changing the rules for everything in life and keep a few traditions instead of placating the half a percent of the world that sees themselves as trans. Simple question, is this person a boy or a girl? Run in that race. Not to mention the fact that this person likely won because “omg, they’re so brave” nonsense that people eat up. I don’t get points for waking up every day and continuing to be straight, the way it should be for all humans. Stop using your sexual behaviors and parts as your identity people, just be you, without having to broadcast it to the world

Woo-Fu

Banned
Does anybody really take being prom king/queen seriously? It was kind of embarrassing even back when I was that age and that was 30+ years ago.

Traianvs

Instead of a prom Queen, you would have a Knight, not beautiful and blonde but dark and with a terrible attitude. And with a dick, and all shall love him/her/whatever and despair!

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't even go to prom. I never got the point.
I went to junior prom. It was as boring as all the other dances and only the after parties mattered.

Senior year, a group of us got a hotel room and stocked it with booze and had a big party that everyone came to after the prom. It was way more fun but a few of us got arrested.

My prom was alright. 5 friends with our five dates. We went to this stupidly expensive steakhouse near downtown where they all looked at us weird when we walked in. It was fun though.

I didn't dance, because I am dork and can't dance, though in retrospect I kind of wish I had. I mean fuck people who sit off the dancfloor laughing at people who suck at dancing, at least they are dancing. I was always worried about looking dumb in those days, though.

My girlfriend at the time was really weird. Weird like, she had two stuffed animals she named and talked to and pretended were our kids. She had a great body though and I was a teenager...so, ya know, it was what it was.

n0razi

The whole prom king and queen thing is pretty stupid to begin with so this honestly doesnt bother me

Top Bottom