• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel confirms its dedicated GPU comes out 2020

Blam

nVidia is clearly holding back new cards because of the whole crypto thing that took off and because AMD is not a real competitor anymore. I hope intel smacks their asses.
Pretty much AMD doesn't ever even want to try and work on game compatibility, or really any optimizations at the rate nvidia does it. Intel can easily go after nvidia as they're just sitting their getting more and more market share.

llien

nVidia is clearly holding back new cards because of the whole crypto thing that took off and because AMD is not a real competitor anymore. I hope intel smacks their asses.
I read nVidia is sitting on mountains of Pascal cards.

Current market share is 69% nVidia vs 30% AMD.
Compare that to how dominant Intel's market share was and still is on CPU front, where AMD is going from 1.7% to another single digit % on the server side.

Ignoring outrageously priced 2xxx cards, we have:

1060 < 580 < 1070 < Vega 56 = 1070Ti < 1080 < Vega 64 < 1080 Ti

Quite far from "not competitve" actually.

Pretty much AMD doesn't ever even want to try and work on game compatibility, or really any optimizations at the rate nvidia does it.
It's about limited finances underdog has, not some sort of laziness. Exactly that is why it's so important for AMD to have dominant presence in consoles.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Vega 56 = 1070Ti
1080 < Vega 64
Unless you're looking at only AMD optimized games I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

AMD isn't competitive when you consider GTX 1070 had been on the market for over a year before Vega 56 was able to beat it.
Vega 64 at best ties GTX 1080, also over a year later(and using a lot more power).

1080 Ti is almost 2 years old and is significantly faster than anything AMD. It will be over a 2 year old card before AMD matches it.

Last edited:

llien

Vega 64 at best ties GTX 1080, also over a year later(and using a lot more power).
That varies a lot from reviewer to reviewer.
The only thing which is out of place, is, perhaps, 1070Ti comparison, which is mostly faster than V56.

1080 Ti is almost 2 years old and is significantly faster than anything AMD. It will be over a 2 year old card before AMD matches it.
True, but then, it's second to 2080Ti and only a bit behind 2080, cards that just been released and cost more/same.

Last edited:

Leonidas

That varies a lot from reviewer to reviewer.
The only thing which is out of place, is, perhaps, 1070Ti comparison, which is mostly faster than V56.

True, but then, it's second to 2080Ti and only a bit behind 2080, cards that just been released and cost more/same.

Yes, nVidia is competing with themselves at this point. When RTX 2070 launches AMDs top card will be #5(or #6 depending on who's numbers you're reading). While nVidia will own the top 4 with 2080 Ti, 2080, 1080 Ti and 2070.

Last edited:

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
The more the merrier. If the GPU is actually good then it would bode well for competition in the GPU market. More competition is always a good thing. The best innovations usually come when there is strict competition

plushyp

The more the merrier. If the GPU is actually good then it would bode well for competition in the GPU market. More competition is always a good thing. The best innovations usually come when there is strict competition
Agreed. A duopoly in the GFX market (and CPU) has been very detrimental.

psorcerer

Banned
Pretty much AMD doesn't ever even want to try and work on game compatibility, or really any optimizations at the rate nvidia does it

AMD does not have resources to do so. Current PC graphical APIs are built in a way that is impossible to optimize for in a general way, the only way is to do it is per-title, and AMD just doesn't have so many engineers to tediously re-build and re-compile things per-title.
That's why Vulkan, that's why Mantle->DX12 attempt, etc.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Good because AMD sure as shit can't compete with Nvidia. Their best card out right now only competes with a 2 year old nvidia GPU (V64 vs 1080). Where is the competition for 1080 Ti, Titan, 2070, 2080, 2080 Ti?

Hopefully Intel put Nvidia in place so we're not paying extortionate prices for GPUs.

RAM + SSD prices are slowly coming down but GPUs are only getting more and more expensive.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Good because AMD sure as shit can't compete with Nvidia. Their best card out right now only competes with a 2 year old nvidia GPU (V64 vs 1080). Where is the competition for 1080 Ti, Titan, 2070, 2080, 2080 Ti?

Hopefully Intel put Nvidia in place so we're not paying extortionate prices for GPUs.

RAM + SSD prices are slowly coming down but GPUs are only getting more and more expensive.
My thoughts exactly. Nvidia is behaving pretty much exactly like you’d expect from a company that has no competition.

AMD still hasn’t caught up to Nvidia’s best from over 2 years ago, and I can’t see them narrowing the gap any time soon.

Then again, the probability that any company could start a project this huge and complex, complete on time, and seriously compete with the market leader, in its first iteration, is pretty low IMO.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
My thoughts exactly. Nvidia is behaving pretty much exactly like you’d expect from a company that has no competition.

AMD still hasn’t caught up to Nvidia’s best from over 2 years ago, and I can’t see them narrowing the gap any time soon.

Then again, the probability that any company could start a project this huge and complex, complete on time, and seriously compete with the market leader, in its first iteration, is pretty low IMO.
i don't really expect Intel to compete fully with Nvidia straight away. it might take them sometime. 3 major manufacturers in the GPU space will be good for everyone. If Intel can only compete with AMD initially then that's good.

mitchman

If these cards have no gsync compatibility i couldn't care about them no matter how fast they are.

G-Sync is some Nvidia proprietary BS, FreeSync is the standard and what HDMI 2.1's VRR is based on. People need to stop being suckers and pay USD $300 extra for monitors with the g-sync chip inside.

dirthead

Banned
I don't like Nvidia, really. I hope Intel beats them up a little. Let's get some competition going and a return to real video cards for $300.

Schnozberry

I'd have to guess the early products will be aimed at the datacenter, where they are losing ground to AMD and Nvidia for HPC applications.

If they really do chase after the desktop GPU market, they should really focus on bringing better on die graphics to more consumers. I hope AMD starts doing the same now that they are on 7nm. Someone finally putting mid-range capable graphics on the same die as a CPU is going to change the PC building game.

dirthead

Banned
I'd have to guess the early products will be aimed at the datacenter, where they are losing ground to AMD and Nvidia for HPC applications.

If they really do chase after the desktop GPU market, they should really focus on bringing better on die graphics to more consumers. I hope AMD starts doing the same now that they are on 7nm. Someone finally putting mid-range capable graphics on the same die as a CPU is going to change the PC building game.

They're already marketing towards gamers. if they release some boring non-gaming crap people are going to want blood.

Ramzy

Send teraflop
L2imQfL.png

I'm not expecting much of a market disruption tbh.

Last edited:
Intel has the budget sure, but their troubles with getting to 10nm are proof that throwing money at a problem doesn't automatically result in winning.

Nvidia and AMD (formerly ATI) have something like 2 decades of experience with GPU now, you can't invent that kind of knowledge overnight. Intel has a lot to learn and not a lot of time to do it. Their work on their integrated GPU's helps to some extent but the expectations for high performance gaming parts are just different and more harsh than the expectations for playing Fortnite on Intel HD Graphics.

Last edited:

CuNi

Intel has the budget sure, but their troubles with getting to 10nm are proof that throwing money at a problem doesn't automatically result in winning.

Nvidia and AMD (formerly ATI) have something like 2 decades of experience with GPU now, you can't invent that kind of knowledge overnight. Intel has a lot to learn and not a lot of time to do it. Their work on their integrated GPUs helps to some extent but the expectations for high performance gaming parts are just different and more harsh than the expectations for playing Fortnite on Intel HD Graphics.

but as historically architectures evolve from one to the next, Intel has the benefit or not really having a predecessor to their GPU. I don't think the iGPUs their CPUs have have been designed to scale so much upwards so they had to come up with a completely new architecture. That gives me at least hope that they can introduce some fresh ideas into the GPU market that may benefit other cards in the future as well.

The question I'm wondering is, if these will have decent Linux drivers. IIRC, and I could be wrong, Intel integrated graphics have pretty decent official drivers for Linux, and I hope they do the same for the dedicated graphics.

It'll sure beat anything Nvidia puts out for Linux.

Meh3D

I'm still curious as to who is this GPU is targeted at during it's engineering.

Last edited:

llien

It will harm nVidia more than AMD, as Intel, being new to the market, will stick with open standards
Intel's weight could also lessen nVidia's reality distortion field (rumored 1080-ish level $250 Navi chip has already been referred to like "bad" on certain sites)

After that Crypto market, I suspect.
Hm, no, just compare Intel + MX150 vs AMD with comparable performance notebook price, large chunk out of 400+ premium goes to nVidia.
Intel would rather keep it to itself.

Last edited:
The question I'm wondering is, if these will have decent Linux drivers. IIRC, and I could be wrong, Intel integrated graphics have pretty decent official drivers for Linux, and I hope they do the same for the dedicated graphics.

It'll sure beat anything Nvidia puts out for Linux.
Both Intel and AMD contribute quite a bit to open source. Intel has even made its own distro called Clear Linux.

CuNi

They look like shit and will probably be overpriced and non-competitive.

Yeah, let's bash a new product before even the specs are out! That will show them!

On topic:
I am looking forward to what Intel manages to create with basically no previous weight they have to carry around since it's their first GPU Arch outside of integrated GPUs and that arch is hardly designed to be scaled up by such orders of magnitude so it has to be something new. They also said they plan on creating gaming cards as well so let's wait and see how they plan to be somewhat competitive with NVidia and AMD.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Very interesting to see the talent that Intel is hiring. Hopefully they can give nvidia more competition in the GPU space than AMD has been doing lately.

Top Bottom