• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Core i9-9900K, Core i7-9700K, Core i5-9600K CPUs Launching in October (leak)

Denton

https://wccftech.com/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-core-x-refresh-cpu-family-october-launch/
https://www.hkepc.com/17081/

So according to the latest roadmap which is posted by HKEPC, we will be looking at the 9th Gen family launching in October. The exact date isn’t mentioned but it’s better than a vague Q3 ’18 timeframe which we had in the previous roadmaps. As expected, the launch will include all three unlocked SKUs which are mentioned below along with their specifications:

• Intel Core i9-9900K (8 core / 16 thread)
  • Intel Core i7-9700K (8 core / 8 thread)
  • Intel Core i5-9600K (6 core / 6 thread)
First up, we will detail the flagship part, the 8 core, 16 thread, Intel Core i9-9900K. This will be the first mainstream desktop Core i9 part and also the first Intel chip to boast 8 cores and 16 threads. In terms of cache, the chip will feature 16 MB of L3 and will come with an Intel UHD 620 graphics chip.

The clock speeds are something to check out here, we are going to get 3.6 GHz base clock out of the box and a 5.0 GHz boost clocks in single and dual core operations. 4 core boost is rated at 4.8 GHz while 6/8 core boost is rated at 4.7 GHz. This is the highest frequency we have seen on an 8 core part across all cores. All of this is done under a 95W package so we can expect some hefty cooling solutions to go along with this chip.

I hope this is true, that 2500K Sandy of mine is getting really long in the tooth (7 years!) and I am itching for an upgrade (gonna get that 9900K for double the cores and quadruple the threads goodness).

Loan

Neo Member
Looking into this, next year will be interesting with AMD and Intel pushing each other, better products & better pricing = happy customers (us).

If this is what they're doing now with their numbering I wonder where that leaves their -X family.

Would be nice if the rumor about soldering for the top 3 parts is true.

I'd imagine 9700K would provide more stable framerate over 9900K in pretty much all games. Remember HT is at best case scenario half [50%] perf of a core, so when a load is spread to 16 threads, but suddenly certain action requires more than 50% of a core can provide, then it has to be moved to real core and a minor drop in frame can occur, unless you need to render videos constantly I would choose 9700K for gaming. You might never notice this drop at locked 60fps, but if you want more stable 144fps then I'm speculating that 9700K is better choice. 8 cores at 5Ghz you won't be limited with any gpu, even upcoming 1180ti.

Now of course 9900K would allow you to play games at locked 60fps and dedicate 8 threads to render video at the same time or stream at higher quality without dropping frames below 60fps, but then if you're only interested in 60fps gaming and are not very competitive online player AMD 2700 can do exactly same thing at much lower price point. Only advantage Intel has currently over Amd is more stable performance at high fps.

Last edited:

mango drank

will these need a new mobo?

From this article: https://wccftech.com/intel-desktop-2018-2019-mainstream-hedt-cpu-roadmap-leak/

Intel-Desktop-Roadmap_PCH-Support.png

Stuart360

Guys would the new I5-9600K use the same socketas the I5-6600K, or would i need a new mobo?.
Also would that 6 core cpu stack up well agaimnst wahts rumoured 8 core Ryzens in the next gen consoles?. I'm guessing I5 would have better single core performence, but 2 less cores.
I'm just trying to upgrade my PC so i will be able to run next gen games, but on a budget.

Guys would the new I5-9600K use the same socketas the I5-6600K, or would i need a new mobo?.
Also would that 6 core cpu stack up well agaimnst wahts rumoured 8 core Ryzens in the next gen consoles?. I'm guessing I5 would have better single core performence, but 2 less cores.
I'm just trying to upgrade my PC so i will be able to run next gen games, but on a budget.

9600K and 6600K CPUs physically use the same socket and work as a like for like upgrade. However, the process is complicated and requires software and hardware modification which you may not be comfortable with. Depending on your motherboard, it may not work at all.

The next generation Ryzen 3000 is expected to have the single threaded performance comparable to Intel's offerings. An i5 9600K is okay right now but is in a weird dead end place where the motherboard won't handle upgrades except for CPUs of the same generation (9700K, 9900K) and will eventually become irrelevant versus anything with 8 cores.

If you are on a budget and need to upgrade now I would recommend you buy good quality AM4 motherboard with a Ryzen 5, possibly a lower end Ryzen 7. Then when the new 3000 series Ryzen comes out, you can drop in one of those new CPUs to get you on par with PS5 or Xbox 2. AM4 motherboards are expected to work with the next generation Ryzens.

If you can hold out a few months (Late Spring/Summer), just go straight for a new X570 board with the best Ryzen 3000 you can afford.

Last edited:

JRW

My biggest upgrade of 2019 was finally upgrading from a 60Hz monitor to 144Hz , No one should be PC gaming at 60Hz in 2019!

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

For all practical reasons, you would need a new motherboard. See my response below
9600K and 6600K CPUs physically use the same socket and work as a like for like upgrade. However, the process is complicated and requires software and hardware modification which you may not be comfortable with. Depending on your motherboard, it may not work at all.

IMO this is not a very good answer to the posters question because I think you are unintentionally misleading him. Think about it, anybody who is computer savy knows that a 9900K is not natively supported on the Z170 or Z270 chipsets, despite the fact that they have the same socket. Since the poster above you is asking that he clearly doesn't know, I think you are doing a disservice by essentially saying that it can be done with modifications, when the better answer would be to say that NO. At that point you can bring up that there are rare instances when a Z170 or Z270 can be modified to take 8000/9000 series CPUs, but those are few and far between when there is no guarantee of stability or that it would even function.

Now your advice on waiting for the 3000 series Ryzen is sound and that is pretty much the best recommendation for anybody right now. I definitely plan to upgrade my 8700K to a Ryzen 3000 series CPU.

A thousand bucks for a new CPU, and then another few hundred for a mobo nah I'll pass as usual Intel thanks though. AMD has got me sorted out.

Top Bottom