• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

zbarron

Anyone have any stir fry recipes and/or techniques they would like to share? My first wok is getting delivered today. I've got a few from this Serious Eats list I want to try, but the more the merrier!

I make stir fry fairly often. First if you got a carbon steel wok. which hopefully you did, make sure to thoroughly season it first.

Next go ahead and try the recipes. For some reason every stir fry sauce i tried to make didn't taste right to me, so i eventually swallowed my pride, and started buying bottled sauce. I'm much happier for it. My approach to stir fry is close to Kenji's approach to fried rice or hash. I take what meat I have in the freezer, and what fresh veggies I have that need used and cook them in a stir fry sauce. For me that mostly ends up being pork loin stir fry with red pepper, onion, and broccoli in either a teriyaki sauce or a general tso's sauce. I've also had good results with pork and thinly sliced cabbage in hoisin sauce. Obviously there are some veggies that I would never use but if you've eaten enough take out you'll have an idea of what works.

What kind of burner do you plan on using? Also round or flat bottom wok? If you're crazy like me and have a gas burner unlike me you might want to consider the WokMon.
Edit: This thing is still in pre-order? I saw their page 2 years ago. Wow.

Also homemade fried rice is the best. I fully recommend it. The chinese takeout places near me serve very bland fried rice so I'll often refry the leftovers with a scrambled egg, toss in some more soy sauce and fish sauce and it tastes much better.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I make stir fry fairly often. First if you got a carbon steel wok. which hopefully you did, make sure to thoroughly season it first.

Next go ahead and try the recipes. For some reason every stir fry sauce i tried to make didn't taste right to me, so i eventually swallowed my pride, and started buying bottled sauce. I'm much happier for it. My approach to stir fry is close to Kenji's approach to fried rice or hash. I take what meat I have in the freezer, and what fresh veggies I have that need used and cook them in a stir fry sauce. For me that mostly ends up being pork loin stir fry with red pepper, onion, and broccoli in either a teriyaki sauce or a general tso's sauce. I've also had good results with pork and thinly sliced cabbage in hoisin sauce. Obviously there are some veggies that I would never use but if you've eaten enough take out you'll have an idea of what works.

What kind of burner do you plan on using? Also round or flat bottom wok? If you're crazy like me and have a gas burner unlike me you might want to consider the WokMon.
Edit: This thing is still in pre-order? I saw their page 2 years ago. Wow.

Also homemade fried rice is the best. I fully recommend it. The chinese takeout places near me serve very bland fried rice so I'll often refry the leftovers with a scrambled egg, toss in some more soy sauce and fish sauce and it tastes much better.

Thank you for being as helpful as always. I did buy a carbon steel wok! Specifically, I got the one Kenji recommended in his "How To Buy a Wok" post. I have every intention of seasoning it as well as my cast iron skillet. Taking care of that thing and getting it in the shape it's in is a source of an unreasonable amount of pride for me.

I have a gas burner and I am definitely interested in that WokMon thing, but the fact that it has been in pre-order that long is disconcerting. I am sure I can find similar options if I find the regular stovetop to be insufficient.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Thanks, entremet!

If anyone in North America is in the market for a ThermaPen, you can get one TODAY from ThermoWorks for $76 (normally $99). They are open box models, which might be demo units, refurbs, returns, etc., but they all come with the standard 2 yr warranty. This is supposed to be the best instant-read thermometer you can buy. You have to use this link (it's from a promotional email I got and does not benefit me in any way) to access the sale; you can't get to it from just going to their website. Just thought I'd pass on the deal if anyone was interested.

Made lemon-coriander-mint chicken. Didn't follow exact recipe but turned out quite nice.

rDqnhvY.jpg

Easy_G

Made lemon-coriander-mint chicken. Didn't follow exact recipe but turned out quite nice.

It looks incredible tasty!

I tried making crumpets. A few look perfect and a few look far from perfect. The taste is good though. Just wish they all had more bubbles Used a recipe off of BBC's website.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Tsfrqgs.jpg[/IMG]

skybald

Time to join this community. Got back into cooking via free Blue Apron boxes. Was cooking only the easiest slow cooker recipes I could find for a while. Buy now I am in the mood to do more again.

Starting cooking when I was 16 because I went vegan and didn't think it was fair for my dad to cook two different meals so I did my own. I was a vegan for 3 years, ending the dietary restriction mostly because I am very curious of new tastes and want to try as much as possible in my life.

Looking into moving in with my SO of 3 years. She is younger and only has been working for a year and will be moving out of the family homestead in 2 weeks. We have been looking at kitchen utensils a lot lately. She doesn't cook but I do and enjoy it mostly except when I am exhausted. Luckily her mom has a lot of hand me downs including a 13 inch All Clad skillet. I have a few Revere Ware pieces that are 30 years old and get the job done (sometimes). But almost anything else we will be buying new (ugh).

Over the next year I hope to get my SO more accustomed to cooking because she has done almost none. Hopefully I can keep everyone updated here.

zbarron

I just got an Opinel No.8 pocket knife and it has a carbon steel blade. I'm sure at least some of you use carbon steel knives. If any of you have experience with them, would you recommend putting a patina on it quickly with vinegar or mustard, or letting it develop naturally over time?

Easy_G

Time to join this community. Got back into cooking via free Blue Apron boxes. Was cooking only the easiest slow cooker recipes I could find for a while. Buy now I am in the mood to do more again.

Starting cooking when I was 16 because I went vegan and didn't think it was fair for my dad to cook two different meals so I did my own. I was a vegan for 3 years, ending the dietary restriction mostly because I am very curious of new tastes and want to try as much as possible in my life.

Looking into moving in with my SO of 3 years. She is younger and only has been working for a year and will be moving out of the family homestead in 2 weeks. We have been looking at kitchen utensils a lot lately. She doesn't cook but I do and enjoy it mostly except when I am exhausted. Luckily her mom has a lot of hand me downs including a 13 inch All Clad skillet. I have a few Revere Ware pieces that are 30 years old and get the job done (sometimes). But almost anything else we will be buying new (ugh).

Over the next year I hope to get my SO more accustomed to cooking because she has done almost none. Hopefully I can keep everyone updated here.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you do.

Lilith

So, I wanted to post the recipe for shengjianbao for a long time now..well, here it is. Sorry, it took so long.

Shengjianbao (生煎包), shanghainese pork buns
16 buns

Dough:
375g flour (German type 405, would be pastry/soft flour in US/UK I guess, but all-purpose/fine works as well)
3-4 pinches of salt
37,5g sugar
1,5 tsp dry yeast
7,5g (or half a package) baking powder
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
100 ml warm milk
95 ml shiitake water (you might soak the shiitake mushrooms as the first step!)

Instructions:
Sift flour, add 3/4 of sugar, salt and baking powder, combine.
In a cup mix milk, shiitake water, oils, remaining sugar and yeast, stir and let sit for about 10 minutes or until bubbles are starting to show.
Mix fluid into flour and knead dough until smooth. Cover and let rest for about an hour.

Filling:
275g ground pork (or mixed)
40g Bacon slices, minced
100g napa cabbage, finely chopped
4 Jiucai (garlic chives, also called Chinese chives/leek), finely chopped
thumb-sized piece ginger root, grated
2 dried shiitake, soaked in hot water (you use it later for the dough) and drained, finely chopped
3/4 tsp salt
3 pinches Chinese five spices powder
pepper to taste
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine (sake works as well)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1,5 tsp sesame oil
1,5 tbsp starch (I used potato)
1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
pepper to taste

Instructions:
Combine the ingredients and put into fridge until dough has doubled in size.
Take dough and knead it by hand, roll out on a well-floured work surface, cut in 16 pieces (don’t worry, the shengjianbao will raise later in the pan!)
Roll the dough pieces out in circle shapes (the middle part should be thicker than the edges)
Place the pork filling (make 16 portions ahead) in the center of the dough round. Fold the dough up and around the filling, pleating and pinching around the top until sealed.
Now let buns rest for 5-10 minutes under a wet kitchen/paper towel.
In the meantime, heat a non-stick pan with approx. 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Place the buns in in the pan with enough space between them (I managed to arrange 4-5 buns in a 24cm-skillet). buns Pan-fry the buns for about one minute, then pour approx. 60-75ml water into the pan and cover immediately. Cook until the water completely evaporates, about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the lid, control if brown enough for you (if not, heat them for another 3-5 minutes over medium-high heat. Plate the buns, and serve with black rice vinegar such as Chinkiang or seasoned soy sauce (it’s a mix of soy sauce, chili oil, garlic and black vinegar).

Easy_G

So, I wanted to post the recipe for shengjianbao for a long time now..well, here it is. Sorry, it took so long.

Shengjianbao (生煎包), shanghainese pork buns
16 buns

Dough:
375g flour (German type 405, would be pastry/soft flour in US/UK I guess, but all-purpose/fine works as well)
3-4 pinches of salt
37,5g sugar
1,5 tsp dry yeast
7,5g (or half a package) baking powder
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
100 ml warm milk
95 ml shiitake water (you might soak the shiitake mushrooms as the first step!)

Instructions:
Sift flour, add 3/4 of sugar, salt and baking powder, combine.
In a cup mix milk, shiitake water, oils, remaining sugar and yeast, stir and let sit for about 10 minutes or until bubbles are starting to show.
Mix fluid into flour and knead dough until smooth. Cover and let rest for about an hour.

Filling:
275g ground pork (or mixed)
40g Bacon slices, minced
100g napa cabbage, finely chopped
4 Jiucai (garlic chives, also called Chinese chives/leek), finely chopped
thumb-sized piece ginger root, grated
2 dried shiitake, soaked in hot water (you use it later for the dough) and drained, finely chopped
3/4 tsp salt
3 pinches Chinese five spices powder
pepper to taste
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine (sake works as well)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1,5 tsp sesame oil
1,5 tbsp starch (I used potato)
1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
pepper to taste

Instructions:
Combine the ingredients and put into fridge until dough has doubled in size.
Take dough and knead it by hand, roll out on a well-floured work surface, cut in 16 pieces (don’t worry, the shengjianbao will raise later in the pan!)
Roll the dough pieces out in circle shapes (the middle part should be thicker than the edges)
Place the pork filling (make 16 portions ahead) in the center of the dough round. Fold the dough up and around the filling, pleating and pinching around the top until sealed.
Now let buns rest for 5-10 minutes under a wet kitchen/paper towel.
In the meantime, heat a non-stick pan with approx. 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Place the buns in in the pan with enough space between them (I managed to arrange 4-5 buns in a 24cm-skillet). buns Pan-fry the buns for about one minute, then pour approx. 60-75ml water into the pan and cover immediately. Cook until the water completely evaporates, about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the lid, control if brown enough for you (if not, heat them for another 3-5 minutes over medium-high heat. Plate the buns, and serve with black rice vinegar such as Chinkiang or seasoned soy sauce (it’s a mix of soy sauce, chili oil, garlic and black vinegar).

Thanks for the recipe! I've got to try this on a coming weekend.

zbarron

I just got a Power Pressure Cooker XL

GAF. How do I deep fry chicken pieces in it? How much oil is used.

I'm getting conflicting info.

You don't. A pressure cooker is not a pressure fryer. Don't do it. It's not safe.

Edit:Upon more research I'm also getting conflicting information. Mostly saying not to do it, but I can't say this with certainty. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Anybody have any interesting ideas for minced beef?

Kinda sick of doing spaghetti Bolognese and chillis at this point with it.

I've been trying to cut down our grocery bills by using mince for at least 2-3 meals a week and I've been making stuff like mapodoufu/Japanese style w/eggplant (highly recommend), beef buns, meatball subs, koftas w/ flatbread, Swedish meatballs... Mince has a lot of versatility, thankfully.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This conversation about shopping and budgeting is making me think about how much I spend on groceries. I may make a new thread next time I go to the market so we can share our receipts and see the differences in produce around the world.

Edit: I hope nobody uses prepackaged mince from the supermarket. That thing is nasty.

This conversation about shopping and budgeting is making me think about how much I spend on groceries. I may make a new thread next time I go to the market so we can share our receipts and see the differences in produce around the world.

Edit: I hope nobody uses prepackaged mince from the supermarket. That thing is nasty.

Do it. I'm really finding the UK kinda pricey and this is coming from Australia. I never thought I'd say I missed the US for groceries of all things.

And, how else is one supposed to get cheap mince? Grind it by hand? Buying it from the butcher kind of defeats the purpose of saving money. Here, anyway.

Heh. They usually offer two types of beef mince here, de primeira and de segunda. Given that the latter is 40% cheaper (but still more expensive than buying a piece of chuck because Reasons) and i didnt feel like using my food processor, asked the butcher near my place what, exactly, went in it.

"oh we just mince every scrap of meat that's left after cleaning the bigger cuts"

o_ô

Fwiw as of late i've been buying frozen deboned chicken thighs and legs for R$ 8,00 for 2kg, so... about 64 cents USD per pound. Whole chicken is about a dollar per kg. Breast fillet is 2,24 USD per kg. Was all "wtf" at the chicken breast prices in europe, tbh.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Re: mince

I buy mine at the market (nothing fancy, mind you, just an old school one). When you ask for minced meat they basically grab large-ish chunks of either pork or beef like the ones you'd ask for a stew and put them in the grinder right in front of you.

The problem with fresh mince is that it goes bad really, really fast so it's always better to have it done on the spot as they usually do at my butcher's. I don't think I've seen segunda/b-grade meat in well over a decade, at least in Spain. I know they used to offer it back in the day, but my understanding is that those cuts are now being industrially processed into packaged mince and other products, leaving most butcher shops with better quality cuts.

I basically avoid supermarket minced meat because you are buying a lot of stuff that is not actual meat along the most unluky parts of the animal. Most mince (poultry, beef or pork) has a meat content of around 80 to 90 per cent, the rest being soy protein/corn/stabilising aditives. It tastes and smells differently when you cook it and it tends to ooze in a foul way that freshly made mince doesn't. Premade burger patties are even worse. I've seen labels with around 15% of "collagen" (read: processed gristle and skin), 15% of random stuffing and 70% of actual meat.

Frozen meat can be downright terrible. Be amazed at this "cattle meat product" (can't even legally call it a beef steak). That's a 71% content of some measure of cow-like animal.

Or this "pork loin meat product" with the staggering amount of 64.5% pork meat.

Thank God for European food label regulations.

It's the same with shredded/grated cheese. Tiny bits of cheese tend to form huge clumps, so those bags have a large content of anticake aditives such as refined cellulose and/or cornstarch. Cellulose is now being used in excess as filler since it's odourless and has no discernible flavour. It's not a health issue, but a fraud one.

I'll probably have to pull out the calculator, but I'm almost certain that 1 kg of minced beef from the market is similarly priced if not cheaper than a 1 kg tray from the meat aisle at the supermarket. Generally speaking vegetables are a heck of a lot more expensive at the supermarket than at an old school neighbourhood market. Convenience doesn't pay off when you do the numbers.

snacknuts

we all knew her

zbarron

I'd be interested. We just started really taking our budgeting seriously and keeping track of every penny spent. As for the groceries I've always been interested in what grocery stores look like around the world. I wonder if there's a Youtube channel of just some person with a GoPro going up and down every aisles in different stores around the world.

As for the mince, at least by me beef prices are pretty high. Whole chickens and boneless pork loins are the cheapest meat by me. BBQ meat is also cheap per pound but after all the loss of fat and bone from cooking it isn't as cheap as chickens or boneless pork loins. The pork loins are huge, but I cut them up into different cuts like roasts, breakfast chops. stir fry meat, and thick cut ribeye chops. and individually bag and freeze them. Add some canned green beans and a sweet potato and you have a super cheap meal. Or with the stir fry it's just rice and some cheap veggies.

Easy_G

Heh. They usually offer two types of beef mince here, de primeira and de segunda. Given that the latter is 40% cheaper (but still more expensive than buying a piece of chuck because Reasons) and i didnt feel like using my food processor, asked the butcher near my place what, exactly, went in it.

"oh we just mince every scrap of meat that's left after cleaning the bigger cuts"

o_ô

Fwiw as of late i've been buying frozen deboned chicken thighs and legs for R$ 8,00 for 2kg, so... about 64 cents USD per pound. Whole chicken is about a dollar per kg. Breast fillet is 2,24 USD per kg. Was all "wtf" at the chicken breast prices in europe, tbh.

Yeah, here in the US I've found whole chicken is the way to go for a budget. You can roast the chicken and use the leftovers for a couple days, or cut it up into the usual pieces and make separate dishes. You also get the bonus of a carcass to make broth with which can be used for a million other uses. I freeze my chicken bones until I have at least two or more carcasses worth.

I'll never not find amusing how some companies put "no gluten" stickers on supposedly meat products. Even seeing it in some cheeses down here, heh

But yeah, i usually avoid buying mince from the market or the butcher simply because it spoils mad fast aaand gods only know what residues were left (and for how long) on the grinder before whatever i'm taking home went through it. As for frozen goods... it is indeed a goddamn lottery. Lotsa brands still freeze them with added water, smh. Is quite the problem when one purchases fish.

Re: mince

I buy mine at the market (nothing fancy, mind you, just an old school one). When you ask for minced meat they basically grab large-ish chunks of either pork or beef like the ones you'd ask for a stew and put them in the grinder right in front of you.

The problem with fresh mince is that it goes bad really, really fast so it's always better to have it done on the spot as they usually do at my butcher's. I don't think I've seen segunda/b-grade meat in well over a decade, at least in Spain. I know they used to offer it back in the day, but my understanding is that those cuts are now being industrially processed into packaged mince and other products, leaving most butcher shops with better quality cuts.

I basically avoid supermarket minced meat because you are buying a lot of stuff that is not actual meat along the most unluky parts of the animal. Most mince (poultry, beef or pork) has a meat content of around 80 to 90 per cent, the rest being soy protein/corn/stabilising aditives. It tastes and smells differently when you cook it and it tends to ooze in a foul way that freshly made mince doesn't. Premade burger patties are even worse. I've seen labels with around 15% of "collagen" (read: processed gristle and skin), 15% of random stuffing and 70% of actual meat.

Frozen meat can be downright terrible. Be amazed at this "cattle meat product" (can't even legally call it a beef steak). That's a 71% content of some measure of cow-like animal.

Or this "pork loin meat product" with the staggering amount of 64.5% pork meat.

Thank God for European food label regulations.

It's the same with shredded/grated cheese. Tiny bits of cheese tend to form huge clumps, so those bags have a large content of anticake aditives such as refined cellulose and/or cornstarch. Cellulose is now being used in excess as filler since it's odourless and has no discernible flavour. It's not a health issue, but a fraud one.

I'll probably have to pull out the calculator, but I'm almost certain that 1 kg of minced beef from the market is similarly priced if not cheaper than a 1 kg tray from the meat aisle at the supermarket. Generally speaking vegetables are a heck of a lot more expensive at the supermarket than at an old school neighbourhood market. Convenience doesn't pay off when you do the numbers.

I'll check out the shop mince today as I have to pop in anyway, but the butcher down the street has always been a £ or two more than even Booths (the big fancy grocer here) for everything, even chicken thighs. There are no savings to be had there. Booths in-store butcher might be slightly cheaper, but I'll have to check on that. As for markets, there isn't such a thing here. The farmers market comes to town once every month and they've never sold mince or veg. Just pies, really. Half the time they don't even have bread. :p

So I was working on a piece about Samsung's many tentacles and I stumbled upon this photo:

WHO THE HELL COOKS LIKE THIS

Nobody in their right mind. Sweater with long sleeves? Nope. Hair down? Nope. Pants that look like they'd melt if grease splattered on them? Nope. Heels? Wtf? I don't think this person has ever cooked in their life. Open top shoes are inviting excruciating pain from sauce or accidents.

Slightly better than this, though, I guess.

vintage-appliance-1.jpg

What, you never cooked roast with pizza? God, leave the stone age already grandpa

At least the oven is on, none of the burners are. Also she has a copy of 'ORGANIC CROPS IN POTS', my go-to tome.

Also also, there is a Bluetooth symbol on the hood, so you can... you know... check on your hood status... from your phone. Oh god, I think the oven display has a wifi icon, too. Hahahahahahahahah *cry*.

zbarron

So I was working on a piece about Samsung's many tentacles and I stumbled upon this photo:

WHO THE HELL COOKS LIKE THIS
I don't know. She's my kind of woman. She's making a roast and a pizza with two sides and then thinks to herself "There's just not enough meat here. I better sear up a steak too."
She however ruined Sunday dinner. Completely unmarriageable.
At least the oven is on, none of the burners are. Also she has a copy of 'ORGANIC CROPS IN POTS', my go-to tome.

Also also, there is a Bluetooth symbol on the hood, so you can... you know... check on your hood status... from your phone. Oh god, I think the oven display has a wifi icon, too. Hahahahahahahahah *cry*.
You almost sold me on a copy, but it's sadly out of stock.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1906525560/?tag=neogaf0e-20

snacknuts

we all knew her
Anyone ever compared them against the 5usd chinese knockoffs that one can get at aliexpress and the like? I dont expect them to be as good, evidently, just interested to see if its worth paying 15x more on the original.

As it happens, the thermometer you posted is the exact model I was replacing with the ThermaPen. Having used the latter a few times, I have zero regrets about the upgrade. The mostly-instant temperature reading makes a big difference for me. And the build quality is much, much better. Not sure I would drop the normal $99 price for it, but with the discount I think it was worth it.

Yall dissing her clothes like you don't cook nearly butt-naked on the reg.

I ain't putting no clothes or shoes on to do my cooking on sunday morning, gaddamit. Heck, if im feeling fancy i *might* go through the trouble of using an apron, but that's only after i got one too many hot oil splashes to the tit.

As it happens, the thermometer you posted is the exact model I was replacing with the ThermaPen. Having used the latter a few times, I have zero regrets about the upgrade. The mostly-instant temperature reading makes a big difference for me. And the build quality is much, much better. Not sure I would drop the normal $99 price for it, but with the discount I think it was worth it.

i see. Ah that's a shame then, got two of the buggers and a wireless probe on the way. Still, all of those came in at under 20 bucks so you get what you pay for.
---
Anyway
Seems to have worked, so decided to make a quick cacio e pepe with half of it to see how it went.

Eh.

Indeed a very different taste from dried pasta, but... cant say it is worth the effort of doing it by hand. Maybe if i didnt despise using the rolling pin so much.
Will try to get a pasta machine and have a go at it again in the future, since preparing the dough is indeed as easy as throwing flour and eggs into the food processor and giving it a few pushes for a minute.

ExInferus

any tips for making simple chicken-veggie(pref. broccoli) stir-fry or oven-baked more interesting but still low caloric? I rarely make Teryaki sauce or wine-broth-cream-thyme sauce anymore because I'm looking to lose some weight and these sauces seem to be pretty high in calories.

zbarron

any tips for making simple chicken-veggie(pref. broccoli) stir-fry or oven-baked more interesting but still low caloric? I rarely make Teryaki sauce or wine-broth-cream-thyme sauce anymore because I'm looking to lose some weight and these sauces seem to be pretty high in calories.

Do you like spicy food? That's my go to when I want to make something low in calorie but high in flavor.

Also this is the teriyaki I always use.
http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks/products/products_hc_details.php?pf=10301
It has 30 calories per tablespoon. That's really not that bad. You could just try using less of it and if it seems bland add more tamari/soy sauce (3 calores per tsp) and more hot sauce like sriracha (5 calories per tsp)

Speaking of Teriyaki, I've bought this one twice and both times it has been nasty.
http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks/products/products_hc_details.php?pf=10201
Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/sauced-hot-mustard.html
Hot mustard is another good low calorie spicy sauce.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Not baked nor fried, but check this.

I make some every couple of weeks or so and it's great, cheap and easy. You can reuse the sauce *and* it requires very little cleaning (just the pressure cooker and the bowl). Granted, that means you can allow some rice in your diet.

ExInferus

Do you like spicy food? That's my go to when I want to make something low in calorie but high in flavor.

Also this is the teriyaki I always use.
http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks/products/products_hc_details.php?pf=10301
It has 30 calories per tablespoon. That's really not that bad. You could just try using less of it and if it seems bland add more tamari/soy sauce (3 calores per tsp) and more hot sauce like sriracha (5 calories per tsp)

Speaking of Teriyaki, I've bought this one twice and both times it has been nasty.
http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks/products/products_hc_details.php?pf=10201
Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/sauced-hot-mustard.html
Hot mustard is another good low calorie spicy sauce.

I've always done the teriyaki sauce myself but it's the sugar that put me off. 30kcal per tsp seems alright.

The mustard sauce I don't follow. It's just mustard powder+ water if I read right. Why not just buy normal hot mustard?

Not baked nor fried, but check this.

I make some every couple of weeks or so and it's great, cheap and easy. You can reuse the sauce *and* it requires very little cleaning (just the pressure cooker and the bowl). Granted, that means you can allow some rice in your diet.

Cool. But since I don't have a pressure I'll have to do it in a pan.
What does star anise taste like?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Like some really powerful anise. It's kind of sweetish and candy-like if you haven't tasted anise before. Hard to describe. It usually infuses savoury dishes with some interesting depth.

zbarron

I've always done the teriyaki sauce myself but it's the sugar that put me off. 30kcal per tsp seems alright.

The mustard sauce I don't follow. It's just mustard powder+ water if I read right. Why not just buy normal hot mustard?

Cool. But since I don't have a pressure I'll have to do it in a pan.
What does star anise taste like?
It's 30kcal per Tbsp. Yeah the sauce has a ton of sugar in it, but you don't need much to give the dish good flavor and as I said you can use other sauces to boost flavor if it's not enough.

Nothing wrong with buying normal hot mustard. I have mustard powder and water on hand so that saves me a trip and money. It also shows just how few ingredients should be in the sauce so it should be negligible calories.

anise has a similar flavor to black licorice. Have you ever used fennel seeds? It's similar. Not quite but it's the closest analog I can come up with.

Easy_G

Yall dissing her clothes like you don't cook nearly butt-naked on the reg.

I ain't putting no clothes or shoes on to do my cooking on sunday morning, gaddamit. Heck, if im feeling fancy i *might* go through the trouble of using an apron, but that's only after i got one too many hot oil splashes to the tit.

i see. Ah that's a shame then, got two of the buggers and a wireless probe on the way. Still, all of those came in at under 20 bucks so you get what you pay for.
---
Anyway

Seems to have worked, so decided to make a quick cacio e pepe with half of it to see how it went.

Eh.

Indeed a very different taste from dried pasta, but... cant say it is worth the effort of doing it by hand. Maybe if i didnt despise using the rolling pin so much.
Will try to get a pasta machine and have a go at it again in the future, since preparing the dough is indeed as easy as throwing flour and eggs into the food processor and giving it a few pushes for a minute.

That's a fantastic first attempt, and with hand rolling no less! Fresh definitely tastes different from dried. You could try finding some fresh pasta in a market and see how it compares to yours. A pasta roller will definitely make it easier, but it's still a decent amount of work. And I've mentioned before, but fresh pasta takes lots and lots of working and kneading to get to the right consistency​. In the end, for me, I think I just really like the process regardless of whether the results improve upon store bought.

Also, I finally found a spaghetti shape cutter for my pasta machine at a decent price, so I'll be free of the limits of only making fettuccini.

Podge293

Would anyone here recommend that "wonderbag" basically a nonelectic slow cooker?

The wife's uncle is raging about it but I'm not entirely convinced so looking for additional experiences

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Costs as much as a slow cooker or a cheap pressure/programmable cooker. More if you count the required pot. Offers the convenience of none.

Mmm...

When i saw the wonderbag vid in the amazon page for the product, my jaw kinda hit the floor. Dudes are legit selling a thermal blanket for 60 usd. Like, seriously. Buy one of these. Wrap it around the pan. You'll most likely have exactly the same goddamn results.

Or put it inside an ice cooler. Or any object with thermal insulation. Same goddamn principle, really. Heck, you can probably get similar results with a decent duvet.

I'm amazed. Legit one of of the most hilarious kitchen products ive ever seen. And i've seen the slapchop.

That's a fantastic first attempt, and with hand rolling no less! Fresh definitely tastes different from dried. You could try finding some fresh pasta in a market and see how it compares to yours. A pasta roller will definitely make it easier, but it's still a decent amount of work. And I've mentioned before, but fresh pasta takes lots and lots of working and kneading to get to the right consistency​. In the end, for me, I think I just really like the process regardless of whether the results improve upon store bought.

Also, I finally found a spaghetti shape cutter for my pasta machine at a decent price, so I'll be free of the limits of only making fettuccini.
heh, yknow, when i started trying to make baguettes, went through a whole load of yt videos. Was quite peculiar how a lotta american vids would do *everything* by hand (but eyeball measurements), but most of the french ones? Screw that, to the dough mixer (with very precise amounts) with you.

I identified with the french method. Is interesting how "the journey or the destination" applies to other venues in life.

zbarron

Yesterday I made caramel sauce with some heavy cream that needed used. The problem was I had nothing to put it on so I made some banana ice cream with honey and bits of graham cracker in it. I made that and then froze it until it was firmer and then topped with the caramel sauce. So good.
img_20170728_152613f0z0x.jpg

ExInferus

any tips to make chili (con carne) more interesting?
Mine is pretty good but it lacks a certain punch, it's fairly generic, just the typical ingredients(onions,bell pepper,tomatoes,mince,chili,beans etc.).
Was thinking maybe adding red wine or brandy or worcester sauce. I've heard about adding beer or black coffee but that seems weird.

Top Bottom