• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's about that time...The "What Are You Reading?/Book Recommendation" Thread

Its basically awesome how this man who seems frozen in time in an era where change is acclerating at a insane pace manages to come through this adventure because of who and what he is.

Plus he's old and badass.

FnordChan

Lo-Volt said:
Barry Werth's book on the early days of Gerald R. Ford's administration and the specter of Richard Nixon.

I've been really curious about 31 Days. I'd appreciate any comments you had after you finish the book.

(Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx is Burning)

Intermixing the dramatics of the 1977 Yankees (the sections involving Reggie Jackson are hilarious), 1977 politics (a.k.a. the rise of Ed Koch and the end of old-fashioned social democratic policies) and the death of postwar New York City amid blackouts, riots and financial oblivion. If the general subjects interest you, I strongly recommend this book.

I walked over to the library at lunchtime and checked this out. Thanks for the heads up! I'm looking forward to checking it out.

FnordChan

thomaser

KingGondo said:
Just wanted to comment on after the quake... I find it to be one of his best works, especially "Super-Frog Saves Tokyo" and "Honey Pie." "Honey Pie" is so heartbreakingly beautiful, childlike, sentimental... sigh. "Super-Frog Saves Tokyo" is so Kafka-esque and tragically funny I still re-read it from time to time.

I must admit that Super-Frog is excellent :) I love how matter-of-factly Murakami introduces the most fantastical things. Six-foot high, talking superfrog out to save Tokyo with the help of a debt-collector? Yeah, sure, why not. Just go for the ride.

KingGondo said:
Since you're into Murakami and dreams, you should definitely read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, which deals with dreams extensively. I know you were looking for something that specifically concerns dreams, but I can't think of a better Murakami book that does this. Always nice to find others with similar taste in books. :)

Read that a couple of months ago, and absolutely loved it! The only Murakami-books I like better are The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka On The Shore, and Wind-Up might just be my favourite book ever. You can't really go wrong with Murakami, even if you don't quite get his short-stories like me ;-) I'm not too sure about Underground, though... is he as good with non-fiction as with fiction?

genjiZERO

after a summer of Italian Communist litterature (Italo Calvino) I decided to revisit a few of my old favourites so I just reread 1984, parts of the Nihongi and The Silmarillion. But reading Tolkien inspired me to finally read his critique of Beowulf, so now I'm just waiting for a new version of Beowulf (the Heaney translation) and Tolkien's Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics to come in. After that I'm going to try to study up on grammar (no it is interesting) and read Hart's Rules.

Top Bottom