• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Reading Week: What are You Reading?

kevm3

Archie said:
spiceland3erevnm27id.jpg

I'm on chapter 15 which is about leases. It has kept me on the edge of my seat!

I'm reading the same thing. Can't get any more exciting than this.

Trurl

Banned
Are the people that are listing 3-5 books actually finishing all of them during a single week? Or are they just reading parts of each book during the week.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
1558852808.jpg

Good stuff. I'm heartily enjoying this one.

Have to read these over the next week:
diary1025.jpg

Gulf Dreams by Emma Perez
(no pic)

I've been reading the following off and on:
cronenberg-180.jpg

0930289528.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Dilbert

I've been juggling between three books:

The Design of Everyday Things, Donald Norman (non-fiction)
Salt Water Amnesia, Jeffrey Skinner (poetry)
The Missing Manual: OS X 10.4 Tiger, David Pogue

Next up is something from my huge poetry backlog (probably either Albert Goldbarth or Joshua Beckman) and No Logo by Naomi Klein.

Tarazet

I'm reading an early-19th century English play: William Sheridan's School for Scandal. Why? I'm writing a paper on Samuel Barber's Overture to School for Scandal, and I want to know what the heck he was thinking about. Very enjoyable play, brilliant writing.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I haven't really picked up a book since Neuromancer this past Jan... been so busy with schoolwork and had some portable games to keep me distracted. That Fatherland book posted above sounds really freaking good, I'm gonna order that on Amazon right now.

Just started:
0486264645.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,32,-59_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Gonna pick this one up next:
006073132X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ecd4124128a036aae7599010.L.jpg

0345404475.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Would you believe I've not read either?

I'm also working my way through this: URL="http://til.gamingsource.net/"]http://til.gamingsource.net/[/URL] but the site is down at the moment

MrBeanTroll said:
ecd4124128a036aae7599010.L.jpg

0345404475.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Would you believe I've not read either?

I'm also working my way through this: URL="http://til.gamingsource.net/"]http://til.gamingsource.net/[/URL] but the site is down at the moment

Science-fiction at its finest right there [and Dune, 2001: A Space Odyssey].

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
I'm actually still reading this, which I posted first time through this thread (old thread):

remains.jpg

But now it's accompanied by:

250px-Great_gatsby.jpg

and

large.jpg

both of which I'm reading for the first time. Excellent stuff. I also just picked up some sci-fi recently that I haven't yet begun.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
1400043468.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
and
0151012385.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Julia Child book is fantastic. So so so fun to read, it's seriously like having lunch and a long chat with her. The Saramago book is good, but kind of a letdown compared to some of his previous work. I appreciate the tie-in with Blindness, though.

And just as a general recommendation, anyone with even a passing interest in modern US history should check out Cynthia Carr's Our Town, which is stunning. I'm not a big history buff (far from it) but my leanings towards non-fiction recently led me to this. This is a fascinating, disturbing, sad, and important book.

0517705060.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

C_0684803356.jpg

I normally like Hemingway's stuff but this book is just boring the hell out of me. I'll give it a few more chapters before I decide whether or not I should just drop it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I just finished the romance of the three kingdoms tihs week. Awesome book but history kind of ruins the ending :(

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
^ you just like books with cool covers!

0765304198.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

this is not a very cool cover, but it's an amazing work. I admittedly never get around to reading as much sci-fi as I sometimes did when younger, but these short tales completely took over my reading for a few days. It's hard to imagine another writer combining the technical with the emotional so flawlessly. I wish he wrote more. But perhaps he's found his sweet spot by spacing his output.

this was also pretty good. I haven't read any Shepherd in a long time, and he's always interesting.

1560257938.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Nander

I completed A Child Called It yesterday, great book. So now I have to go to town and find the second book.
FC0752837508.JPG

But what I should be reading is this (my chemistry book) :)
4701649o.jpg

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
right now I'm reading

omen.jpg

I just read

0747566534.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and after I'm done the Omen, I'm gonna be reading

imageNYET17504051953.jpg

thomaser

verden_begynne-hs.jpg

"Jeg har sett verden begynne" or "I have seen the world begin" by Carsten Jensen. Damn good travel-book, chronicling a trek through Russia, China, Cambodia, Vietnam and Hong Kong. Vietnam sounds soooo inviting and positive! Beautiful stuff, definitely recommended. Here's the Amazon-link to the English version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0151007683/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm also reading this:

0156032392.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"On Literature" by Umberto Eco. This guy has fresh opinions on just about everything imaginable.

Next up: "The Idiot" by Dostojevskij and "The Red and the Black" by Stendahl.

Doublethink said:
C_0684803356.jpg

I normally like Hemingway's stuff but this book is just boring the hell out of me. I'll give it a few more chapters before I decide whether or not I should just drop it.
Whoa, how far into it are you? I just re-started this after a long, long layoff (let me put this way, I think it was the World Cup that distracted me from it... no not that one... nor that one...) and I'm amazed at how I ever put this down. There's a ton of text to be sure, but it's really snappy reading. It and Brazil are making me think I need to re-read/watch/whatever everything I did before 1996.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Flynn said:
That's next for me as well. The last one ended on quite the cliffhanger.

seriously, anything by neal stephenson is utter garbage

BigGreenMat said:
Gabriel Garcia Marquez: 100 Years of Solitude

One of the greatest books ever

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Trurl said:
Are the people that are listing 3-5 books actually finishing all of them during a single week? Or are they just reading parts of each book during the week.
The people who are listing 3-5 books aren't limiting their reading career to a single week :rolleyes

Prospero

I just started reading An American Tragedy:

1006290.gif

I like it a lot so far--I used to hate books by early twentieth-century naturalists, but I think that was because I had to read them under duress in school, instead of just picking them up on my own. I wish the back cover of my edition didn't spoil the ending, but it's a great book just the same. Long, though--900+ pages.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I had been trying to get through Ken Dornstein's The Boy Who Fell Out of the Sky, but thought it was quite dull and not particularly interesting, so that one's been axed. Now I'm trying to find something new to get into, without much luck. Nothing recent is really catching my eye...

Top Bottom