• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its time to choose, PS2 or PS4? Which has the best library?

Best library between PS2 or PS4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Good balanced post.

I think part of the reason I prefer PS4 is because I don't care much for JRPGS and would generally much prefer something like Witcher 3. I would also add that, whilst the PS2 does have the PS4 beat for arcade/arcade-esque titles, the PS4 is no slouch in this regard either with an impressive fighting game roster (SFV, KOFXIV, Soul Calibur 6, Mortal Kombat X, Skullgirls etc.), the Assault Suit Leynos remake and some extremely high quality shmups like Resogun, Battle Garegga Rev. 2016, Nex Machina and Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours.
I edited my original post to include fighting games as another example. Fair point.

PS4 is no slouch, especially when it comes to shmups, fighting games, Vs Puzzle, and other arcade genres. I wholeheartedly agree, and I expect by the end of the gen the PS4 will surpass the PS2 in total number of available arcade ports.

Two differences, though: PS2's compilations are physical whereas a lot of PS4 stuff is digital. This has no bearing on the quality of the library, of course, but it's a dealbreaker for someone like me. The other difference is that PS2 (currently) does a much better job of scooping up 30 years of gaming history -- from Atari up to that present-day arcade era -- into one system. PS4 may have a lot of good stuff for it, but there are countless franchises on PS2 that the PS4 hasn't yet received a port for.

When it comes to fighting games for instance, I play more on the PS4 because I'm playing stuff like Guilty Gear Rev2 or maybe sometimes Arcana Hearts 3 on PS3. I hardly play fighting games on PS2. However, the quantity of fighting games on PS2 far exceeds PS4 (at least that's my mental reckoning. I've never counted). You could play through entire franchises -- Fatal Fury, World Heroes, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter Alpha -- all on one system, on top of all the regular releases of Tekken, Primal Rage, MvC2, Soul Calibur 2 and 3, etc etc etc. My point is that even though I play fighting games on PS4 currently, I'd take the PS2's fighting game library in a heartbeat if I was forced to pick between the two, at least at this point. I expect we'll see quite a few more fighting games ported over before the PS4 gives up the ghost, so maybe in a few years I'll change my opinion on that.

I don't really disagree with anything you've said, so don't take my response that way.

It's great to look at our past fondly. NBA Coach Steve Kerr has the best quote when it comes to things from our past that really applies to anything.

When discussing players from decades ago: "They're all right. They would all kill us. The game gets worse as time goes on. Players are less talented than they used to be. The guys in the 50's would've destroyed everybody. It's weird how human evolution goes in reverse in sports. Players get weaker, smaller, less skilled. I don't know. I can't explain it."

The same applies to video games. There are more video games now, better video games now, more competition in the video game market to make better games now.

LITERALLY EVERYTHING IS BETTER ABOUT GAMES NOW. It doesn't go in reverse folks, sentimentality is for Uncle Rico.

And that is excatly why the PS2 is better than the PS4. 20 years from now, nobody is going to talk about the PS4 and its PC games.

mcz117chief

Definitely PS4, there are only a very few PS2 games that you can't play anywhere else that are actually worth your time and even those have have some form of modern, far-superior, equivalent. For example Kessen (one of my favourite PS2 games) has very little to offer when you have games like Shogun 2. Another example, Dead or Alive 2 is a very solid fighting game but Dead or Alive 5 LR is just better in every single way (except colors). The only time I turn on my PS2 at all (once or twice a year) is to play Dropship (a very good Ace Combat clone with a very fun gameplay twist).

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Does the PS4 have an awesome Snow White game? Yeah, I didn't think so....

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I have one favorite console library, but the PS2 would definitely be a contender for my #1.

Romulus

I would say ps2, but when you add PSVR to PS4's library, it becomes a lot closer. PSVR doesn't have an overwhelming amount of games, but it is a very solid library, and some the best games on the unit are is easily the most incredible Sony products I've owned combined with the PSVR. It exceeds the wow moment from the PS1/N64 era for me.

anyone that thinks the libraries are even close in favor of ps4 either is a retard or simply was old enough to experience the ps2 library.

I'am old enough and i liked the PS2 games in that time but i'am not a old school PS2 games are the best games type of person. Dont get me wrong, i loved the PS2 era and games. But i love also the PS4 era and games. I like the new God Of war more, i like Horizon Zero Dawn more than Killzone and many other PS4 games and i really love how Sony supports Playstation VR with alot (new) games. So thats important for me, i love VR.

So calling people retards is out of line, when they dont have your opinion they are not retards🙄

Last edited:
Top Bottom