• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Gunn Back to Direct Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Odinnii

Nice to see someone at Disney realize that pandering to the whims of twitter outrage mobs was a stupid way to run a business. Hopefully other companies follow suit.

Acerac

Banned
I'm just happy that people realized the irony given the subject matter of the films.

Good show.

Last edited:

God Enel

imho this seems like a desperate move from Disney. Kicking someone and then not finding anybody else to handle this and then crawling back. Like they have nobody that can handle the movie!?

Its different.... James Gunn, they dug out something he did in the past as a stupid youth. Roseanne got canned for her actions while on payroll.

Youth? Wasn’t the dude in his 30s when he said that. Saying youth is a bit of a stretch? And if he apologized and regretted that, why leave them up to be dug up. Not sure the guy was very smart and could have avoided this drama.

Not only that but the “jokes” weren’t even funny. I get they were supposed to be dark humor but they weren’t even funny.

Either way. The whole outrage deal is tiring at this point. People everywhere just need to chill out.

highrider

Banned
If you’re in your 30s making pedophilia jokes on Twitter I’m going to go out on a limb and say there’s something misfiring upstairs. You could cull the internet history of a lot of people and I think you’d be unlikely to find anything like that. That said, he apologized and hasn’t actually done anything as far as anyone knows. As far as GOTG I thought the first was quite good but the second I thought was pretty terrible.

I really don't care about marvel but to me most of "jokes" weren't funny at all, add to it he made them in his 30s and over the years? Seems odd at best. Imo if it weren't for him making a marvel movie and would be right-leaning people wouldn't be so quick to brush those tweets aside and forget about it as fast. But what do I know, innocent until proven guilty. hopefuly people (especially in America) will keep it equally for both sides.
-
n0razi said:
Its different.... James Gunn, they dug out something he did in the past as a stupid youth. Roseanne got canned for her actions while on payroll.
I've read on le reddit they did it because he tried to do the same tactic with digging up past shit on someone else earlier? Is it true?

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Enygger_Tzu Enygger_Tzu The great thing about the English word "pedophile" is that it only has one definition and that definition is as follows:

a person who is sexually attracted to children.

Now I'm sure that you Enygger_Tzu Enygger_Tzu a patron Saint of a person has never made an inappropriate joke about anything remotely taboo, but regardless of that you would still be wrong in your accusation!

Because nothing that Mr. Gunn has done has given any impression that he is in any way the description above...

You know, I have said and still say crude, insesitive and 'fat' jokes myself, but you know, there is a ton of difference doing some pedophiliac jokes on the net and attend a pedophilia themed party, once can be excused, the other....not so much.

Tesseract

Banned
you know what would be nice, if disney came out and talked some shit about the state of outrage among the authoritarian left

that would be a responsible megacorporation

rivv3r

Banned
I've read on le reddit they did it because he tried to do the same tactic with digging up past shit on someone else earlier? Is it true?

That's exactly what it was. He went after Ben Shaprio because centrist jews = Nazis now. So other people started looking at Gunn's old tweets. I say "old tweets," but they were from less than 10 years ago and Gunn is currently 52 (so he was in his mid 40s while posting them.)

jonnyp

Youth? Wasn’t the dude in his 30s when he said that. Saying youth is a bit of a stretch? And if he apologized and regretted that, why leave them up to be dug up. Not sure the guy was very smart and could have avoided this drama.

Not only that but the “jokes” weren’t even funny. I get they were supposed to be dark humor but they weren’t even funny.

Either way. The whole outrage deal is tiring at this point. People everywhere just need to chill out.

Yep. Well he could have avoided it all by not posting pedo fantasies en masse on twitter and not attending pedo themed costume parties in the first place. I always facepalm when people defend him stating they are just "jokes" and he was young. He was in his goddamn 30s. They are not jokes., they are not funny and only read as his pedo fantasies.

I'm anti-SJW and the radical left but Gunn is one weird dude to say the least.

I guess Disney caved because they couldn't find another director for the movie.

Javthusiast

Banned
They probably didn't even completely fire him, but played it that way as long as the fox deal wasn't completely under wraps.

If you’re in your 30s making pedophilia jokes on Twitter I’m going to go out on a limb and say there’s something misfiring upstairs. You could cull the internet history of a lot of people and I think you’d be unlikely to find anything like that. That said, he apologized and hasn’t actually done anything as far as anyone knows. As far as GOTG I thought the first was quite good but the second I thought was pretty terrible.

Am I in the minority that loved the second one? I thought it was awesome, watched it probably 5x at least

JimiNutz

Banned
Between this and SS2 Gunn is gonna get fucking paid! Fair on him, he should never have been fired in the first place and for the fans this is the best situation since we'll get to see both SS2 and G3 under him.

I wonder which one will be better?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the second one was a pretty good movie. it also felt a little less cornball from the first. the first film ending on a dance off was corny as shit but by then you've sat through 2 hours so whatever.

Gunn is a decent director but not mindblowingly amazing or anything. his "jokes" were lame and sick as fuck but i guess if you make people billions of dollars then they are fine with putting up with anything.

the fact that they can't find a director better than the guy who made the Scooby Doo CGI film is kinda funny.

Last edited:
Ariana Marie. And yes, you can bet she is a certain type of star.

Google searched for scientific research purposes only

giphy.gif

Very Nice

quickwhips

I wasn't expecting to see that.

Thinking about the implications, its a second chance. Wether you agreed with what he did or not, its interesting to see. Now will they rehire Roseanne? lol.

If anything this may set a good example that people change or shouldn't be held to past mistakes. Maybe some of the wackos that are always after people for past mistakes will see this and think about it but probably not.

I didn't understand his past tweets and parties and I was pretty disturbed by them, at the same time they were known of before he got hired. It was a wacky situation. And if someone really does change they should have removed those tweets years ago.
Not saying you are saying this but he didn’t do shit. People hunting through past of people need to be made examples but not the people.

Hey I'm happy he's back for the 3rd movie, but let's be real, he was never really fired in the first place. Disney put him in time out like every other Hollywood liberal gets the opportunity to do whenever they say something beyond the pale, and now that nobody cares anymore he gets to come back with a boiler-plate apology.

Hollywood is a cancerous shit-hole that will never change until people stop patronizing them, so never.

quickwhips

Normally, I'm opposed to outrage culture, but the shit this guy tweeted really, and I mean really, didn't sit well with me at all. And for him to be part of Disney? I'm surprised at the about-face. Borderline shocked.

If he's back, fine, their choice, but now Roseanne has to be given a second chance. I think it's safe to say that pedophiles are worse than racists.
They are two different things but I don’t think Roseanne tweet was racist because I didn’t know the lady was black either. But seriously insulting people online with a blue chip is going to destroy careers. Glad Gunn is back.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Good.

We need more pushback against this outrage culture that companies are caving to in order to save face.

Yep. And when companies see there will be absolutely zero blow back from this(since the outrage machine has moved on to other things) maybe it sets a good future precedent to not caving to the lunatics.

Not saying you are saying this but he didn’t do shit. People hunting through past of people need to be made examples but not the people.

Has personal responsibility gone out the window?

To a degree. He brought it on himself. You and others are most focused on blaming others for his situation. But what happened here was totally on him. Had he not posted very very questionable tweets or just deleted them after he realized it was a mistake the people hunting for it wouldn’t have the ammo. Instead they were left up and when they are brought up people are more angry at someone exposing them than the fact they were there in the first place. So in a way, yes you’re right, he didn’t do shit.

I believe this was a response from the Roseanne debacle. Which is interesting to see the responses from the people who didn’t agree with Gunn getting fired cheered her firing.

I do agree with you that this whole culture of getting people fired is out of hand. Society is so focused on attacking everyone for everything they have lost nuance. People say dumb shit. They shouldn’t have their lives ruined for an honest mistake or past issues.

Hopefully people start chilling out soon but I doubt it. In the meantime, just give me GOTG3.

Last edited:

Fuz

Reports says Feige never looked for another director in the first place.
This kinda support my idea that it was all faked just to take time and let the outrage calm down.
Good.

We need more pushback against this outrage culture that companies are caving to in order to save face.
Yes and now. Gunn's was forgiven only because he's "on the right side".

Last edited:

quickwhips

Has personal responsibility gone out the window?

To a degree. He brought it on himself. You and others are most focused on blaming others for his situation. But what happened here was totally on him. Had he not posted very very questionable tweets or just deleted them after he realized it was a mistake the people hunting for it wouldn’t have the ammo. Instead they were left up and when they are brought up people are more angry at someone exposing them than the fact they were there in the first place. So in a way, yes you’re right, he didn’t do shit.

I believe this was a response from the Roseanne debacle. Which is interesting to see the responses from the people who didn’t agree with Gunn getting fired cheered her firing.

I do agree with you that this whole culture of getting people fired is out of hand. Society is so focused on attacking everyone for everything they have lost nuance. People say dumb shit. They shouldn’t have their lives ruined for an honest mistake or past issues.

Hopefully people start chilling out soon but I doubt it. In the meantime, just give me GOTG3.
I don’t think Roseanne should have been fired but tweets from 10 years ago do not equal tweets from five minutes ago. Don’t lump me in with the far left leaning of the internet please. I don’t think anything anyone said 10 years ago in a book or internet should be the same as physical action against someone or saying something present day.

I’ve said this two or three times previously.

From a strictly common sense professional/business perspective:

I don’t understand why everyone in any sort of position of influence/fame/power doesn’t pay someone to go through and meticulously scrub their online footprints (or just do it themselves).

I’m surprised there aren’t services popping up charging people to do a comprehensive cleaning like that. Maybe there are?

Again, just speaking from a “dollars and cents” perspective, not a “right vs wrong” standpoint. There’s definitely a lot to be said about what’s ok and what’s not, when accountability should be considered, growth and maturity, etc

Edit

Basically what I am saying is anyone who is stationed to potentially lose millions of dollars, or a quality of life equivalent of millions of dollars, based on something they tweeted in high school, they should probably take some common sense precautions to guard against that possibility, whether right or wrong.

Last edited:

I don’t think Roseanne should have been fired but tweets from 10 years ago do not equal tweets from five minutes ago. Don’t lump me in with the far left leaning of the internet please. I don’t think anything anyone said 10 years ago in a book or internet should be the same as physical action against someone or saying something present day.

Not lumping you in with anyone besides saying you were more concerned with who pointed the tweet out.

Like I said, his whole situation could have been avoided. There is other talk to James was doing the same to others but i don’t remember if that was true or not.

oagboghi2

Gunn had apologized before he was even hired by Disney.
right....which is why he then deleted his tweets right?

Oh wait, he didn't. In facty he made even more tweets, and did even more stupid shit. because he was so "sorry".

Stop being gullible.

Amazing lack of intelligence here. He apologized years prior to ever working on marvel movies.

My God you're an fool.

He has apologized multiple times for during the same shit over and over. His apologies aren't sincere. How much more obvious can this be?

Last edited:

Brizzady

Banned

Oh wait, he didn't. In facty he made even more tweets, and did even more stupid shit. because he was so "sorry".

Stop being gullible.

My God you're an fool.

He has apologized multiple times for during the same shit over and over. His apologies aren't sincere. How much more obvious can this be?
He hasn't done the same shit over and over. But don't let your cluelessness get in the way of facts. It's fun watching you spin and pretend that you're the arbiter of sincerity. Bahhaha

Last edited:

gatti-man

This needs to become a trend. I second bribing back Roseanne's show and Danny Masterson in The Ranch.

Why are you guys so obsessed and bent out of shape over the alt-right? Most of the complaints are about conservatives and not actual ethnocentric degenerates. It has nothing to do with them.
Because that’s who started it and actually cares about it. Mainstream Conservatives could give two shits about 10 year old Gunn tweets.

Stop being gullible.

My God you're an fool.

Deleting the tweets won’t stop people from digging them up or trying to make some unprovable argument like yours about “sincerity”

Last edited:
Because that’s who started it and actually cares about it. Mainstream Conservatives could give two shits about 10 year old Gunn tweets.
Citation needed, although I agree. If he was an actual pedophile then it'd be another story. Forgive me for being clueless, but what were their issues about it? Because pedophilia was clearly not what they would be outraged about.

My God you're an fool.

Oh the irony.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You're not a moderator. If you would like to discuss something in particular, do so.
Can we trryyyyy and not talk about politics in some topics????
People on both sides were happy he was fired and both people on both sides are happy that he has been re-hired.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wasn't expecting to see that.

Thinking about the implications, its a second chance. Wether you agreed with what he did or not, its interesting to see. Now will they rehire Roseanne? lol.

If anything this may set a good example that people change or shouldn't be held to past mistakes. Maybe some of the wackos that are always after people for past mistakes will see this and think about it but probably not.

I didn't understand his past tweets and parties and I was pretty disturbed by them, at the same time they were known of before he got hired. It was a wacky situation. And if someone really does change they should have removed those tweets years ago.

Please don't put Roseanne in the same breath as James Gunn. What Roseanne did and continues to do is 100x worse.

oagboghi2

He hasn't done the same shit over and over. But don't let your cluelessness get in the way of facts. It's fun watching you spin and pretend that you're the arbiter of sincerity. Bahhaha
Yeah....he made immature jokes about rape and pedophilia in a blog post, he later made immature jokes about rape and pedophilia in a ton of tweets.

Worlds apart. The man is clearly a victim here🙄

Please don't put Roseanne in the same breath as James Gunn. What Roseanne did and continues to do is 100x worse.
Not even close.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Well at least I'll have a Marvel movie to look forward to after Avengers.

Top Bottom