• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 1995 *Classic Sales-Age* U.S. TOP40 & HW (SNES>GEN!)

ioi

Banned
Square2005 said:
So you estimated NA HW sales back to 1989...!?
Is it based on anything or just your guestimates?

Are you planning on guessing SW sales back to '89 also?

It's all fact

ioi said:
It's all fact

C'mon man you're pulling my leg... I know those aren't THE NPD sales,
so how'd you come up with them?

I've actually done alotta research on pre-94 SNES/GEN NPD sales by reading various articles and whatever's available online and there are alotta errors in your data so we need to talk...
OTTOMH:
-Things like the GEN sold 15k in all '89 and remained ahead of SNES every month until April '92 and was the overwelming winner over x-mas '91.
-SNES sold about 1.2-1.4m in '91 not 1.7m. SNES remained ahead summer '92 after March (and another price drop in May to $149 [The previous P.D. was to $179 in FEb] followed by a non-bundle release in July at $99) w/ the July release of Street fighter II but GEN made a comeback X-mas '92 w/ Sonic 2 and again in '93 w/ MK, etc...

If you'd like to see the monthly sales data I came up with I can send it to you...

jarrod

Banned
Square2005 said:
How many games were re-issued? And what was the criteria for re-releasing them (high sales)?
It was just Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Metroid and Punch-Out!! (sans Mike Tyson) iirc. And Nintendo basically just did it to reissue classic games that were still in demand... they went for $19.99 too. Sort of precursor to their "Player's Choice" line.

Its amazing how so many games got bought even at those prices. And 12 years ago $60 was so much more than it is today. And we still consider $60 too much. I live in the UK, where I think games are the most expensive in the world. Right now GBA games are around £20-£25, which is around $30-$40. Cube games are around £25-£40. But I remember back in 95 my SNES games were around £50. Thats like over $75, and back then my parents bought them for me.

donny2112

Square2005 said:
Thanks donny,
could you post the early screens for these:
* Chrono Trigger
* Front Mission
* Tale Phantasia
* Dragon Quest VI

ct.jpg

fm.jpg

tp.jpg

dq6.jpg

Tadaima

Wow at the sales of Donkey Kong Country!

Nintendo certainly have themselves a great developer, I'm sure they're going to make a lot of money now that Rare are becoming more established.

But I doubt any of Rare's upcoming games can repeat the success of DKC...

ioi

Banned
Square2005 said:
C'mon man you're pulling my leg... I know those aren't THE NPD sales,
so how'd you come up with them?

I've actually done alotta research on pre-94 SNES/GEN NPD sales by reading various articles and whatever's available online and there are alotta errors in your data so we need to talk...
OTTOMH:
-Things like the GEN sold 15k in all '89 and remained ahead of SNES every month until April '92 and was the overwelming winner over x-mas '91.
-SNES sold about 1.2-1.4m in '91 not 1.7m. SNES remained ahead summer '92 after March (and another price drop in May to $149 [The previous P.D. was to $179 in FEb] followed by a non-bundle release in July at $99) w/ the July release of Street fighter II but GEN made a comeback X-mas '92 w/ Sonic 2 and again in '93 w/ MK, etc...

If you'd like to see the monthly sales data I came up with I can send it to you...

Problem is that this is all based on the 'raw' NPD data, which you yourself have shown greatly favoured the GEN over the SNES. Even after your adjustments the GEN is still too high and the SNES too low. When you adjust the data correctly, this is what you get...

ioi said:
Problem is that this is all based on the 'raw' NPD data, which you yourself have shown greatly favoured the GEN over the SNES. Even after your adjustments the GEN is still too high and the SNES too low. When you adjust the data correctly, this is what you get...

That doesn't explain your 1989-93 data...

ioi

Banned
Square2005 said:
That doesn't explain your 1989-93 data...

I have raw data, adjusted to better fit 'reality'.

You are saying it's incorrect because it doesn't match up with your raw, unadjusted data, which you yourself have already shown is wildly inaccurate

ioi said:
I have raw data, adjusted to better fit 'reality'.

You are saying it's incorrect because it doesn't match up with your raw, unadjusted data, which you yourself have already shown is wildly inaccurate
ioi admit it, you just made up those monthly HW sales...

ioi

Banned
Square2005 said:
ioi admit it, you just made up those monthly HW sales...

You make me laugh sometimes.

The data is read of a graph I've found, adjusted and fitted to what we know. It's the best we're ever going to get...

ioi said:

The data is read of a graph I've found, adjusted and fitted to what we know. It's the best we're ever going to get...

A graph, huh!? Sounds interesting, is it based on NPD or another source? U.S. or N.A.? I came up w/ my own estiamtes based on reading articles from back then so I'd like to compare...

ioi said:

Is this graph in a famitsu issue? Then you could photo scan it, right? Is it monthly/annual/cumulative sales or something else?

ioi

Banned
Square2005 said:
Is this graph in a famitsu issue? Then you could photo scan it, right? Is it monthly/annual/cumulative sales or something else?

It is from Famitsu, yes

Top Bottom