• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Carter has decided to receive Hospice care at home.

OZ9000

Controversial thought but I think we should allow euthanasia if you're 75 or older. Your body and mind turns to shit in your 80s, if it already hasn't by the time you turn 70.

Quality of life -> quantity of life.

I personally have no intention on staying on this planet any longer than I need to.

Quasicat

I teach American History and we are right in the middle of discussing the Presidents. I was just thinking about Jimmy Carter being alive and wondering how much longer before he passes.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Controversial thought but I think we should allow euthanasia if you're 75 or older. Your body and mind turns to shit in your 80s, if it already hasn't by the time you turn 70.

I personally have no intention on staying on this planet any longer than I need to.
They certainly should offer it to people receiving hospice care. They're literally sitting around waiting to die, often in extreme amounts of pain.

It's kind of barbaric

RavageX

You dont really hear much about him, but it seems like he has been actively making a difference for ages.

I think all presidents should be something like that.

Instead....its a clown show....IMO.

dave_d

You dont really hear much about him, but it seems like he has been actively making a difference for ages.

I think all presidents should be something like that.

Instead....its a clown show....IMO.
I was just hoping he'd live long enough to see the fucking guinea worm die.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Without getting into any politics he is without a doubt the most "good" president we ever had. He was never the most effective. He wasn't the best speaker. He was never the most ruthless. What he was however was a good man. That is almost unheard of in someone that reaches the upper echelon of politics let alone the highest office in the land. He stepped away after his time in office to dedicate his life to doing good however he could and he did it without fanfare, publicity, or money making unless he needed the limelight to get eyes on the necessary project. He just kept his head down and did the good he could while he could do it and that is something that I will always remember and respect most about him.

A gentle reminder by the way that he was a strong supporter of civil rights in the 60's at a time where Georgia was......not exactly the most welcoming to such ideas. Which cost him politically early on, but he did it anyway because he knew it was right. Not many prominent politicians in the south at that time can claim the same. He even trolled the racists into voting for him in order to get the Governor seat and start setting an end to segregation in Georgia because he knew he couldn't get the seat if he ran on a purely "End Segregation" message. Fucking legend.

During his tenure as a Georgia state senator from 1963 to 1967, Carter worked to overturn laws that made it challenging for Black people to vote, according to the University of Virginia’s Miller Center. His pro-integration stance did not prevent him from serving two terms as state senator, but his views may have hurt his gubernatorial bid. When he ran for governor in 1966, an outpouring of segregationists turned out to the polls to elect Jim Crow supporter Lester Maddox. When Carter ran for governor four years later, he “minimized appearances before African American groups, and even sought the endorsements of avowed segregationists, a move that some critics call deeply hypocritical.” But Carter, it turned out, was simply being a politician. When he became governor the following year, he announced that the time had come to end segregation. Clearly, he’d never supported Jim Crow but catered to segregationists just to win their votes.
As Georgia governor, Carter didn’t just verbally oppose segregation but also worked to create more diversity in state politics. He reportedly raised the number of Black people on Georgia state boards and agencies from just three to a staggering 53. Under his leadership, almost half, 40 percent, of public servants in influential positions were Black.

Also do not forget that he served in the military as well and served it well under difficult circumstances.

On December 12, 1952, an accident with the experimental NRX reactor at Atomic Energy of Canada's Chalk River Laboratories caused a partial meltdown, resulting in millions of liters of radioactive water flooding the reactor building's basement. This left the reactor's core ruined.[20] Carter was ordered to Chalk River to lead a U.S. maintenance crew that joined other American and Canadian service personnel to assist in the shutdown of the reactor.[21] The painstaking process required each team member to don protective gear and be lowered individually into the reactor for a few minutes at a time, limiting their exposure to radioactivity while they disassembled the crippled reactor. During and after his presidency, Carter said that his experience at Chalk River had shaped his views on atomic energy and led him to cease development of a neutron bomb.

American President, Georgian senator, naval officer, peanut farmer, staunch supporter of Habitat for Humanity to the end of his days, and a good man. I hope his final days are peaceful, painless, and that he is surrounded by the ones he loves.

I fear that we may never see another politician quite like him.

1475764226453.jpg
JimmyCarterPortrait2.jpg
image-1.jpeg

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
He's a good man. Sad to hear he's heading out. May he find quiet and peace in those final days. Big bummer :(

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Carter always struck me as a people's president in that he was far more like the common man than Reagan (Who was far more influential on a presidential scale, what with Reaganomics). Maybe its a misconception on my part, but the more i read on Carter, the more i felt he was a president for the common people.

I don't know. Carter just strikes me as a good, rooted president to me.

Cyberpunkd

They certainly should offer it to people receiving hospice care. They're literally sitting around waiting to die, often in extreme amounts of pain.

It's kind of barbaric
Agreed. It’s your life, you have the right to end it. And in 99% of cases you can, no external aid is required.

Laieon

The dude was still helping build houses as recent as just a couple years ago and I think he was teaching sunday school until COVID. He definitely wasn't someone just waiting around to die, he was clearly pretty active and loving life pretty far into his 90s. Euthanasia should definitely be a legal option for anyone choosing to go that route though.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Plenty of people can keep their wits about them well past 75. My grandmother recently died at 91 and she was all there. The body is a different beast, but you can still be active and well enough into extreme old age. I know a guy who's 75 and active as hell. You'd think he was 65 at most. I don't know. As long as we aren't talking carousel here.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Plenty of people can keep their wits about them well past 75. My grandmother recently died at 91 and she was all there. The body is a different beast, but you can still be active and well enough into extreme old age. I know a guy who's 75 and active as hell. You'd think he was 65 at most. I don't know. As long as we aren't talking carousel here.
You could potentially still live a good life in your 80s if you remain physically active and avoid any major illnesses, I'm simply very pessimistic with aging. Our risk of illness increases substantially at that age. Heart failure is very common and quite progressive. 50% lifetime chance of cancer too.

As the old saying goes, I'd rather die on my feet than to live on my knees. I'd happily sacrifice a few years on my life.

The dude was still helping build houses as recent as just a couple years ago and I think he was teaching sunday school until COVID. He definitely wasn't someone just waiting around to die, he was clearly pretty active and loving life pretty far into his 90s. Euthanasia should definitely be a legal option for anyone choosing to go that route though.

That's pretty impressive but he looks frail and he is prone to falls.

Last edited:

knocksky

He lasted way longer than I would have expected for a guy with stage 4 melanoma.(I mean he was diagnosed with it back in 2015) He did a lot better than most people in his situation.
He has money for the best health care and is an ex president.

Toons

He seems like a good man. I wasn't alive for his term but to exit the presidency and continue serving the people is a noble cause. He didn't do it for his pride, but out of a good heart. Thats what he will be remembered for.

gow3isben

Nothing to be sad about. He lived a full life and is dying on his terms with family. I wish to live a long full life and pass peacefully like that.

I used to be much more liberal in my opinion of euthanasia, then Canada's MAID bullshit happened where the State will happily kill anybody who so much as feels a little depressed that day, and badgers people with expensive conditions into state-assisted suicide. My grandfather passed last September, and I spent the last two months literally helping him to the bathroom, and whipping his ass for him. I can see shitty people pressuring the elderly into suicide, simply because they can't be fucked to care for their goddamned family. All that being said, people with diseases like ALS are a different matter; I can't imagine forcing people to go through torment like that.

Onto the topic at hand, Eisenhower was probably the last president that wouldn't be considered a war criminal. Yes, including Carter; yes, including Trump.

dave_d

I used to be much more liberal in my opinion of euthanasia, then Canada's MAID bullshit happened where the State will happily kill anybody who so much as feels a little depressed that day, and badgers people with expensive conditions into state-assisted suicide. My grandfather passed last September, and I spent the last two months literally helping him to the bathroom, and whipping his ass for him. I can see shitty people pressuring the elderly into suicide, simply because they can't be fucked to care for their goddamned family. All that being said, people with diseases like ALS are a different matter; I can't imagine forcing people to go through torment like that.
I would just like to chime in that I can absolutely confirm ALS completely sucks. (Oh god does it suck, I know too well.)

Dev1lXYZ

My class at school held a Carter vs Reagan vote and I voted for Jimmy. I was later chided by the teacher for voting for a coward. Not joking,

Eddie-Griffin

Cancer the womens baby so we can pregnant the panda, we are looking for igloos tonight Are you sexy?
Without getting into any politics he is without a doubt the most "good" president we ever had. He was never the most effective. He wasn't the best speaker. He was never the most ruthless. What he was however was a good man. That is almost unheard of in someone that reaches the upper echelon of politics let alone the highest office in the land.

I do think people overlook some bits of Jimmys History though to make this claim which I see often, I put him behind Gerald Ford and Eisenhower at a solid #3.

Top Bottom