• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kiwifarms admin response to NZ police about providing users information (IP adresses, e-mails)

Winter John

I don't know what that place is but after reading his response I'd say that right there's a good example of someone who needs a good punch in the teeth to straighten him out.

HarryKS

Kiwifarms admin/owner being a bit of a try-hard.

Driven mostly by narcissism that post. Fancies himself too much.

Good for him. The police have no rights to any of that unless they prove it is important for the investigation of why it happened and if others participated. All the police are doing here is attempting to control information that they have absolutely no jurisdiction over.

Last edited:
Kiwifarms admin/owner being a bit of a try-hard.

Driven mostly by narcissism that post. Fancies himself too much.
Maybe true, but I don't see anyone else standing up for the governmental overreach of NZ over this video (the police are literally asking for the IP addresses of people who shared a video for prosecution!!), so that makes him every bit the hero we need, if not the hero you want.

Maybe true, but I don't see anyone else standing up for the governmental overreach of NZ over this video (the police are literally asking for the IP addresses of people who shared a video for prosecution!!), so that makes him every bit the hero we need, if not the hero you want.

I compared it 9/11 in another thread, and stand by that comparison.

The police and security apparatus of a country, as a whole entity, are self-serving just like any other government apparatus. They will do anything to get more power, and in this case (and the case of 9/11) that includes using tragedies to power-grab. They should be rebuked and shamed for doing this - it is the ultimate disrespect for those who died.

He could have said it a bit nicer but he is not wrong.
I was surprised he was as nice as he was. If the NZ police came to my forum and wanted me to sell out my community over something as bullshit as this, "could have said it a bit nicer" would be an understatement for the record books.

Null has been known in the past to taunt anyone threatening legal action against his site to go ahead with action, with any attempts usually being withdrawn. I'm for free speech and exchanging info for preservation purposes, and I'd be pissed too if a foreign agency demanded I'd hand over info on users of my website.

Ironically enough, US police agencies have been asking Null for the video for active shooter training purposes. Seems kinda interesting.

oagboghi2

Bravo to this guy, and 😆 to the posters crying about his tone. The NZ government has no right to demand anything from people who are not citizens if their nation, and have committed zero crime.

People are using this tragedy to censor and control as much of the internet as they can. They should be told to fuck off

Joyful

He's in the right, but he also could have been less of an asshole considering the circumstances.

The cops response email was funny

TrainedRage

Banned
How dumb do police have to be to think Kiwifarms is the only place on the internet they can get the video?

Last edited:
How dumb do police have to be to think Kiwifarms is the only place on the internet they can get the video?
I thought the slow response time they had on the shooting was just a coincidence but maybe they are this incompetent.
Lots of people try to google to find something and when they can't, they are pretty much out of ideas. I'm kind of impressed they knew to check KiwiFarms lol.

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
I've only visited this site because of DarksydePhil, and have regretted doing as much of its context is not ethic or even legal.

desertdroog

Standing up to Authority with the full rights of the 1rst Amendment needs no requirement to be "nice". Tyranny needs to be met with the same force if not a bit more to remind people that there is weight behind free speech.

Good on Null.

pimentel1

Banned
He should take down the video. The FBI has already stated anyone hosting the video will be treated as spreading terrorist propaganda.

He should take down the video. The FBI has already stated anyone hosting the video will be treated as spreading terrorist propaganda.
1) I haven't seen this. Do you have a source?

2) The US has constitutionally protected speech. The FBI can consider it whatever they want, they can't do shit about it.

Tesseract

Banned

tenor.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
He lives in fucking Russia. How's the FBI hold over there?
He's in the right, but he also could have been less of an asshole considering the circumstances.
lol impossible

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryKS

Tact is a quality. The response was crass and boisterous. He made it as much about him as it was about the issue. In so doing, he is feeding his ego.

I'm on his side with regards to the matter, but it would be hypocritical not to see the whole picture and criticize character flaws. In my estimation, it diminishes the message.

Highroad.

Tact is a quality. The response was crass and boisterous. He made it as much about him as it was about the issue. In so doing, he is feeding his ego.

I'm on his side with regards to the matter, but it would be hypocritical not to see the whole picture and criticize character flaws. In my estimation, it diminishes the message.

Highroad.
Who the fuck cares? This guy is standing up for the rights and privacy of his users against grossly authoritarian government overreach - I don’t care if he does it buck naked fucking a sheep, he’s a hero. I don’t see anyone else doing it, so the sheep fucking hero is all we’ve got. And thank god we’ve at least got him because a sheep fucker is still better than nothing.

There’s that Russia connection I was looking for. @StriderJ87 Video, online profiles of others, that can’t be good, right?

He's from the Pensacola area and lives in Russia doing contract work. I can't pinpoint an exact date, but a search for "russia null" on their searchbar seems to suggest sometime in 2018 is when he moved there.

He lived in the Philippines when still employed by 8chan.

Last edited:

HarryKS

Who the fuck cares? This guy is standing up for the rights and privacy of his users against grossly authoritarian government overreach - I don’t care if he does it buck naked fucking a sheep, he’s a hero. I don’t see anyone else doing it, so the sheep fucking hero is all we’ve got. And thank god we’ve at least got him because a sheep fucker is still better than nothing.

Well, would it be such a bad thing to hope for something better or an improvement? Being right doesn't mean sticking to the strict minimum. Don't really care about what you care about either, this is not a contest.

A movement that aspires to protect freedoms does not have to develop a cult of personality. That's the easy route. I don't mind the trash movement, but it does showcase a feeble core.

Immediate gratification vs delayed gratification.

The admin in question has neither the clout nor the talent to afford such outbursts without coming off as petty and self-serving. He is no Trump.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Never heard of kiwifarms before this. Seems like it has some link to 4chan?

The police are probably trying to check out everyone who posted the video in the hopes they can catch someone who had foreknowledge of what was planned or perhaps provided some form of support.

They would also have to do this because there could be other people associated with the shooter who are planning or contemplating more attacks.

I don’t see how the kiwi guy is such a hero for withholding data.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I have the video on my phone right now.

Police officers feel free to come knocking on my door lol.

What a bunch of fucking morons.

I don’t see how the kiwi guy is such a hero for withholding data.

Worst I could see is the police going to the datacenter KF is at. FWIW I believe Kiwi may be hosted with a New York company based on a query on one of the IP's on Josh's hosting company.

sol_bad

I have the video on my phone right now.

Police officers feel free to come knocking on my door lol.

What a bunch of fucking morons.

I can't even understand why you would want it on your phone. Do you watch it every night before sleeping or something?

Am I reading things wrong? Aren't they asking for IP addresses of where the videos came from so they can investigate it further? For all we know this guy is part of some psychotic group and they could plan another attack. Detective work generally involves following a trail. I personally don't think it's a bad thing that they are trying to follow the trail. I know Null is in his legal rights to tell them to fuck off but I can't help but feel he could potentially be helping the police.

I'm talking hypothetical here but if another attack does happen and by the end of the investigation, if they find out that Null got the video from someone more involved in this scenario. I can't say I would feel bad if Null himself was sent to jail for obstructing an investigation. How they would go about arresting him from another country, I have no idea.

Last edited:
I can't even understand why you would want it on your phone. Do you watch it every night before sleeping or something?
It's a primary source in a major current event. There's a thousand reasons to have it or to watch it, with plenty of legitimate ones. Perhaps he has it on his phone partly from morbid curiosity and partly because they are trying to remove it from the internet, so it is worth preserving.

Am I reading things wrong? Aren't they asking for IP addresses of where the videos came from so they can investigate it further? For all we know this guy is part of some psychotic group and they could plan another attack. Detective work generally involves following a trail. I personally don't think it's a bad thing that they are trying to follow the trail. I know Null is in his legal rights to tell them to fuck off but I can't help but feel he could potentially be helping the police.
The shooter had no involvement with Kiwi Farms. Hell, if he did post there with his plan, they'd probably be the first to openly mock him and call him names. They aren't involved and the police aren't looking for anything like they.

They are looking for people distributing the video. Already, one 22 year old man was arrested for sharing the video. Personally, I think this is absurd, and they should be spending their time actually policing criminals rather than turning normal citizens into criminals over something so retarded. Maybe if they cared more about their citizens and less about their public image, they could've actually prevented this crime.

I'm talking hypothetical here but if another attack does happen and by the end of the investigation, if they find out that Null got the video from someone more involved in this scenario. I can't say I would feel bad if Null himself was sent to jail for obstructing an investigation. How they would go about arresting him from another country, I have no idea.
If any laws have been broken that are applicable to NZ law, they would be able to appeal to a judge to issue a warrant. Since no warrant was issued, and no laws were being broken by Null giving them the big old middle finger, I think Null's pretty safe from extradition to New Zealand to face charges for sharing a publicly available video posted to social media...

HarryKS

Reading up on the guy, bit of an unsavoury type.

Apparently has a history of posting about raping and killing women himself.

Not good.

Reading up on the guy, bit of an unsavoury type.

Apparently has a history of posting about raping and killing women himself.

Not good.
No one who runs a site like Kiwi Farms is going to be a paragon of society. Doesn't change the fact that he made the right call here.

Top Bottom