• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kiwifarms admin response to NZ police about providing users information (IP adresses, e-mails)

danielberg

Neophyte
I'm talking hypothetical here but if another attack does happen and by the end of the investigation, if they find out that Null got the video from someone more involved in this scenario. I can't say I would feel bad if Null himself was sent to jail for obstructing an investigation. How they would go about arresting him from another country, I have no idea.

I think the video is from a live stream and was spread all over the place but it all goes back to the live stream.
Also pretty crazy, freaking erdogan has shown a edited version of the video at a election rally, he tries to stir the pot and get some support/attention and votes out of it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/17/world/middleeast/erdogan-video-new-zealand-mosque-attack.html

Last edited:
It's a primary source in a major current event. There's a thousand reasons to have it or to watch it, with plenty of legitimate ones. Perhaps he has it on his phone partly from morbid curiosity and partly because they are trying to remove it from the internet, so it is worth preserving.
God help you.

sol_bad

The shooter had no involvement with Kiwi Farms. Hell, if he did post there with his plan, they'd probably be the first to openly mock him and call him names. They aren't involved and the police aren't looking for anything like they.

Nah, I know the psycho wasn't on Kiwifarms, I just mean they could follow the trail from one IP address to another. They might be asking 30 people as they follow the trail but eventually they would come to the end of it. The end of that trail could be some random who saved the video from FB or downloaded it from another video sharing site, alternatively it could be from someone directly involved with the gun man.

They are looking for people distributing the video. Already, one 22 year old man was arrested for sharing the video. Personally, I think this is absurd, and they should be spending their time actually policing criminals rather than turning normal citizens into criminals over something so retarded. Maybe if they cared more about their citizens and less about their public image, they could've actually prevented this crime.

This is gross and disgusting and do not agree with it at all. The law of the country is the law of the country though. They'd have to look at the time line to work out when they considered the video "objectionable" and when this guy distributed the video. They'd also have to proof that he knew about the law and that they video was tagged as objectionable.

RedVIper

Banned
I can't even understand why you would want it on your phone. Do you watch it every night before sleeping or something?

Am I reading things wrong? Aren't they asking for IP addresses of where the videos came from so they can investigate it further? For all we know this guy is part of some psychotic group and they could plan another attack. Detective work generally involves following a trail. I personally don't think it's a bad thing that they are trying to follow the trail. I know Null is in his legal rights to tell them to fuck off but I can't help but feel he could potentially be helping the police.

I'm talking hypothetical here but if another attack does happen and by the end of the investigation, if they find out that Null got the video from someone more involved in this scenario. I can't say I would feel bad if Null himself was sent to jail for obstructing an investigation. How they would go about arresting him from another country, I have no idea.

What's with the ad hominem,yeah dude I jack off while I watch it. Or maybe everyone was sharing it so it got saved into my phone.

The police wants him to disclose personal information of forum members for no fucking reason, the video was everywhere, being on that forum doesn't give them any rights to ask him to give way members IP and emails.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
He's from the Pensacola area and lives in Russia doing contract work. I can't pinpoint an exact date, but a search for "russia null" on their searchbar seems to suggest sometime in 2018 is when he moved there.

He lived in the Philippines when still employed by 8chan.
He was never employed by 8chan.

Nah, I know the psycho wasn't on Kiwifarms, I just mean they could follow the trail from one IP address to another. They might be asking 30 people as they follow the trail but eventually they would come to the end of it. The end of that trail could be some random who saved the video from FB or downloaded it from another video sharing site, alternatively it could be from someone directly involved with the gun man.
I'm okay with making the police's job harder. I don't think a justice system can exist in which the innocent are afraid of it, so there has to be a point in which someone who has broken no laws and committed no crimes has a reasonable expectation of privacy from the police and the government. If there is evidence of illegal activity being performed, then they should get a warrant and pursue the matter as far as international treaties will allow - but they don't appear to have a warrant, and NZ has been nationally ip banning websites like ZeroHedge and Dissenter - sites that are in no way involved in the shootings and which have been banned due to not following NZ's rule of censorship. This isn't about finding criminals. This is about an extensive, targeted, coordinated effort to censor the entire internet for the whole of New Zealand. It's about criminalizing knowledge. It's fucking abhorrent.

This is gross and disgusting and do not agree with it at all. The law of the country is the law of the country though. They'd have to look at the time line to work out when they considered the video "objectionable" and when this guy distributed the video. They'd also have to proof that he knew about the law and that they video was tagged as objectionable.
It seems they want to make an example of him as a way to stem further sharing of the video. If I were his lawyer, I'd want to delay the proceedings for at least a week or so, when the hysteria has died down and he's more likely to get a more reasonable, less emotional court hearing - but apparently, he is due in court today (Monday, NZ time, is already today).

dolabla

No one who runs a site like Kiwi Farms is going to be a paragon of society. Doesn't change the fact that he made the right call here.

I'd also be careful what you read out there. Given the type of site it is, you have to imagine there are people out there who hate his guts.

And yep, he absolutely made the right call. NZ has no right to any of this information.

Last edited:
I'd also be careful what you read out there. Given the type of site it is, you have to imagine there are people out there who hate his guts.

Absolutely. The freedom of speech crowd has been known to attract some undesirables as of late, and those users have been slowly creeping in there. I think it has something to do with Josh doing a livestream akin to The Ralph Retort where he analyzes different "lolcows" in video format.

But overall, if you look in the right places, free speech defenders are alright people usually.

Wildo09

KiwiFarms is a POS site that should be taken down completely. It's nothing but a cesspool of incels stalking women that they supposedly hate.

Horatius

the rapidity of everyone's willingness to commit, and abide, censorship here has been frightening and saddening

what the isps here are doing should have been met with immediate fury and indignation, and instead is being cheered

Cato

Banned
I can't even understand why you would want it on your phone. Do you watch it every night before sleeping or something?

Am I reading things wrong? Aren't they asking for IP addresses of where the videos came from so they can investigate it further? For all we know this guy is part of some psychotic group and they could plan another attack. Detective work generally involves following a trail. I personally don't think it's a bad thing that they are trying to follow the trail. I know Null is in his legal rights to tell them to fuck off but I can't help but feel he could potentially be helping the police.

It is just moral panic and posturing for their agenda, while standing ontop of bodies still warm. Disgusting.

If another attack happens and LEO or Intelligence fails to stop it and blames the failure on Null not giving them access.
Then the appropriate course of action is to fire everyone in managerial positions in LEO and Intelligence agencies and replace them with competent people.

Last edited:
You cant expect the site owner to turn over sensitive information to authorities, considering how important privacy is to many people today.
I havent searched for the video yet, but the lengths sites seem to be going to keep it hidden is also a bit surprising. I subscribe to a youtube channel called Active Self Protection and they show videos of violent crime and then discuss how to avoid such terrible things happening (awareness, self defense, run-fu etc). Many of those videos are very violent and I wonder if this NZ shooting video will have a place there in the distant future?

Papa

Banned
KiwiFarms is a POS site that should be taken down completely. It's nothing but a cesspool of incels stalking women that they supposedly hate.

Honestly, if you replaced women with anyone to the right of Che Guevara, you could be describing Resetera.

Is the video really became that hidden?
On the day after, all I had to do to watch it was enter Twitter and search for new zealand.

Top Bottom