• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"loving life"

eot

Banned
As I was lying sleepless in bed last night, I imagined what it would be like to get cancer. Finding out, trying to keep finding other people from finding out, getting chemo and feeling like shit, shaving my head, getting admitted somewhere, etc. Then I started thinking: you know those obituaries you see, where the person who passed inevitably loved life so much? I guess those are the people who get obituaries.

Anyway, I was wondering: what the is so good about life that you'll go through all that, just to have a bit more of it? Another taste. Imagining it, all I could think was that I'd rather end it right there. Kinda hard when you're bedridden. 60% five year survival rate? So you can go through hell a second time? I'm missing something here.

Do you love life GAF?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I’ve lived with death so much in my life I recognize how valuable even 5 extra minutes of life can be. No one can tell you what makes life so beautiful, but I hope you do figure it out someday OP.

E-Cat

I think the best that can be said is that life is pretty fascinating, even when it's completely terrible.

Plus, humanity has never experienced so much techonological disruption in such a short time - we have no idea what life will be like in, say, 50-100 years. Maybe you will be dead; but then again, there's a small chance you won't, due to all the progress we're making.

Joyful

something is better than nothing, probably. for most people, based on luck when born.
but you cant enjoy stuff if youre dead.

not really a religious person personally but kinda hopeful for reincarnation. everything in the universe seems to suggest a cycle of some sort. a binary perhaps.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I've never had to face the dawning realization that I might die soon, so I can only speak hypothetically.

But I think people survive chemo and various other hardships not so much to "enjoy" life, but out of a sheer sense of duty to keep on living. The sense of duty is as much to oneself as it is to others who may be depending on you.

I imagine it's similar to the reason one gets up and goes to work every day. Wanting to enjoy things is part of it... but it's also just what you have to do.

Kagey K

Banned
Nobody likes life, yet we all cling to it, it’s all the small things and fun things that make life not suck.

It’s the funny gif, or the fun tv show, or the funny conversation we had. We need all the small things to suck less then the big things.

We live, we work we die. That’s it.

If you want to boil it down with that, but it’s the moment to moment stuff that makes life fun. Have fun with the people you love and don’t waste time on the people you dislike.

It’s really the only way to make life sensible.

Thurible

I try to love life, but ultimately despise it. People are hateful and selfish. I can't wait for death (a natural one). Why does honor, love, and respect seemingly not matter to people? Perhaps I am just seeing a loud minority and am getting myself upset. Still, seeing people blame innocents and happy when they hear they are hurt or dying makes me sick. I just want the world to be right, and it can never be.

Rant over.

I just want the world to be right, and it can never be.

Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the world, just our expectations of it.

To the op, I don't think you can really love life until you reach a point where you accept the good with the bad, the highs with the lows and realize that it all comes as a package - a grand adventure where you're on top of the world one moment and then buried under the rubble the next.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
First of all I thought this was a board game thread on the wrong board 🤣
91a5uQnZf2L._SX425_.jpg
Yes, I love life!

Thurible

Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the world, just our expectations of it.
I expect too much from people, I should just expect the worst from now on in the online sphere. Anonymity just allows people to act like asses and I should take none of them seriously. I should act my best, but expect nothing but drivel and hate in return.

Thank you for reminding me that my expectations on civil discourse and understanding are not in order. Though I vehemently disagree that the world is good.

I expect too much from people, I should just expect the worst from now on in the online sphere. Anonymity just allows people to act like asses and I should take none of them seriously. I should act my best, but expect nothing but drivel and hate in return.

Thank you for reminding me that my expectations on civil discourse and understanding are not in order. Though I vehemently disagree that the world is good.

Just be true to yourself and let the world go on as it will. Be your definition of good according to your innermost heart and don't worry about the rest. Everyone is coming from a different place in all interactions we have in this world, online or otherwise. Some are coming from places of pain which can be reflected in presentation of hate and animosity. The best you can do is to be kind to those who are cruel. It won't "fix" the world, but it may heal some small measure of the vast ocean of pain out there.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Suer
I try to love life, but ultimately despise it. People are hateful and selfish. I can't wait for death (a natural one). Why does honor, love, and respect seemingly not matter to people? Perhaps I am just seeing a loud minority and am getting myself upset. Still, seeing people blame innocents and happy when they hear they are hurt or dying makes me sick. I just want the world to be right, and it can never be.

Rant over.
Surround yourself with animals. They are better than human beings:

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Cats make life worthwhile. If you have cats it's 100% worth being alive.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Loving life? I'll get back to you before I kick the bucket fam.

I kind of fucking hate it ever since the year 2014 to be perfectly honest.

But I keep on keeping on in hopes that a better tomorrow awaits.

Remembering the good old days, before people started to go insane, helps keep me going.

quickwhips

I have 2 wonderful sons and a beautiful wife. My jobs has many co workers I call friend and game and have fun with outside work. As my close friends have moved away we kee in touch and game every Tuesday night. So yeah life is good and I would keep fighting to stay around for that.

Im loving life but im tired all the time.

My wife gave birth to my son last week and that brings us three kids under 3 is seriously fucking exhausting.

Im also renovating a house for us as well as working.

Busy but good

ajim

I’ve lived with death so much in my life I recognize how valuable even 5 extra minutes of life can be. No one can tell you what makes life so beautiful, but I hope you do figure it out someday OP.
What do you mean

Top Bottom