• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 3: Rules, current draft positions and more inside!

I figure we should get a headstart on season 3, since season 2 is over in less than 3 weeks. here are some interesting facts and so on:

Playoff rules:

If we have 16 players, then the playoff format will be the division winners (2 teams) and two wild card teams (2 teams). That will be 4/8 teams per conference getting in.

If we only have 12 players, then the playoff format will be the division winners (2 teams) and ONE wild card team (1 team). That will be 3/6 teams per conference getting in.

Time Limit: 6 mins
Difficulty: All-madden

If people want to bump the time limit up, OR downgrade to all-pro (which is what we play on now), speak now or forever hold your peace!

--------------------

Draft positions as they stand right now:

01. DJ Demon
02. HGPlayer*
03. Truelize
04. Dskillz*
05. MrBob
06. Fifty
07. CK
08. Matrix
09. Gunstar
10. FMT
11. Ramirez
12. DM
13. Slo
14. Maverick

*MNP - Disgruntled players, may not play in season 3

There are 2 other people who wanted in and i can't remember right now. in due time i will! remember draft positions can change, but i dont think we have too much of an issue as far as people wanting the same time. i know for a fact no one but DM wants the bucs!

-------------

All-time coaching records!

01. Ramirez: 21-3-1; 1 division title, 2-1 in playoff games, 1 Superbowl appearance
02. DMczaf: 20-5; 1 division title, 1-1 in playoff games
03. FMT: 16-7-1; 1 Wild Card berth, 3-0 in playoff games, 1 Superbowl title
04. Gunstar: 6-3
05. Drey: 9-6-1; 1 Wild Card berth, 0-1 in playoff games
06. Fifty: 13-11-1; 1 Wild Card berth, 0-1 in playoff games
07. MrBob: 12-10-3; 1 Division title, 0-1 in playoff games
08. Maverick: 6-6-4; 1 Division title, 1-1 in playoff games
09. Matrix: 11-12-2
10. CK: 10-13-2
11. Dskillz: 8-15-3; 1 Wild Card berth, 1-1 in playoff games
12. HGplayer: 3-22
13. Slo: 2-11-3
14. Truelize: 2-7
15. DJ Demon: 1-8

p.s. if you aren't in the league and are interested, post here!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Thanks for that last tie Fifty! I would have whooped you and you know it!

We have dudes that are having a tough enough time as it is in All Pro and you want to bump it to All Madden? I mean yeah for some of us it's a bit easy (leading season 2 in offensive yardage with the Giants? wtf) but we can't scare away our prey... er fresh meat... er suckers... er n00bs.

PS: Scheduling games with Gunstar is nigh impossible for me, and I have trouble connecting with Ramirez.

Mrbob

:lol

Since the CAT was let out of the bag thanks to FMT NO ONE TAKE MY TEAM k THX.

I let gunstar take the eagles in season 2 others should look at my act of generosity when it comes to season 3! :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:

Since the CAT was let out of the bag thanks to FMT NO ONE TAKE MY TEAM k THX.

I let gunstar take the eagles in season 2 others should look at my act of generosity when it comes to season 3! :D

It won't matter, you'll finish dead last in the rankings.

Slo

Wellington said:
Thanks for that last tie Fifty! I would have whooped you and you know it!

We have dudes that are having a tough enough time as it is in All Pro and you want to bump it to All Madden? I mean yeah for some of us it's a bit easy (leading season 2 in offensive yardage with the Giants? wtf) but we can't scare away our prey... er fresh meat... er suckers... er n00bs.

I'll play on All-Madden if that's what the regulars want to play on. I can't do much worse than I've already done.
:)

Mrbob

Wellington said:
It won't matter, you'll finish dead last in the rankings.

You can't beat me dude! I will not even let a pourous Rams defense stop my winning streak against you! If I only win one more game in season 2 it has to be against you! :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:

You can't beat me dude! I will not even let a pourous Rams defense stop my winning streak against you! If I only win one more game in season 2 it has to be against you! :lol

You lifted the curse! Tonight I will beat DM, then I will beat you, then in the superbowl I will crush Ramirez!

Fifty

I let gunstar take the eagles in season 2 others should look at my act of generosity when it comes to season 3!
they were the only team he wanted to use, and his home team. You're picking the Panthers because they're the type of team you want.

Once again, it's too unreliable for me to play games with Gunstar and Truelize, because with such a tight deadline I can't promise that I'll be free late every evening. It worked out this season though, and I'm sure you'll manage it again.

About the difficulty: I've played nearly all of my games this year online, and I think they've all been on All-Pro. What is the biggest difference between All Pro and All Madden? We know the DBs are amazing as of now, and bumping their AI up might make passing even harder. If it makes them cover plays like inside posts better, then I'm all for it. On All Pro o-line men routinely let go of their blocker and give the d-line man an easy tackle during run plays. If all madden makes them better blockers, do it. If it makes the d line better, we're making the situation worse.

Ramirez

02. Ramirez: 21-3-1; 1 division title, 2-1 in playoff games

Bow down ladies. :D

Yea,if DBs cover slants and corners better on All Madden then Im all for it :p I haven't played on All Madden before...

Mrbob

Fifty said:
they were the only team he wanted to use, and his home team. You're picking the Panthers because they're the type of team you want.

Well bah humbug to you too! :lol

think of "all-madden" as "all-defense". the corners have more spider senses, the DL plays more tenaciously, etc. i think we should stick to all-pro but who am i to say!

Fifty

^^FMT, I'm totally against it then. The D is amazing (too much so many times), and we don't want to make it even harder for the offense. Most of the plays I see completed often are plays I don't think the difficulty will change, such as tight ends abusing the LBs, and those damn posts where the defensive backs don't respond in time. Count this as a vote against it, unless I hear about some benefits of it.

Ramirez said:
Bow down ladies. :D

Vick can throw like Manning and he doesn't run like an 80 year old lady. I'm not bowing down anytime soon. :lol

Slo

For whatever weight I have in this discussion, I'd like to echo Fifty's statements. I was really frustrated by having my O-line blown up on every play, I'd hate to see the D-Line getting MORE powerful.

Mrbob

Well, for what its worth, All Madden might make the power backs more powerful too.

Whenever FMT actually ran in our game last night, Thomlinson was knocking down linebackers and shedding tackles like nobodys business. It was almost ESPN in the way tackles kept on being shed. Don't know how he runs on all pro.

Ramirez

Vick can throw like Manning and he doesn't run like an 80 year old lady. I'm not bowing down anytime soon.

That's my all time record son,I was doin it with Tommy Gun and Big Ben long before Vick :p

Fifty

Ramirez said:
That's my all time record son,I was doin it with Tommy Gun and Big Ben long before Vick :p

I was hoping you'd say that :D Now I can use the "But I had the awful Ravens recievers and you had Ward and Plaxico" excuse. :D

I'm not sure how much harder All-Madden is, but I'm getting used to All Pro and I think it's pretty fairly balanced. I'll go with whatever the majority thinks, I don't really care either way.

FMT: If I'm getting the #1 draft pick, I'll be the Skins again next season. I have a newfound faith in Patrick Ramsey, Robert Royal and Clinton Portis. Although I'd really like to give Manning and the Colts a try.

Fifty

It's such a tight race for that worst record that I wouldn't go making any assumptions yet :p That draft order is going to change drastically, and that's why I'm not getting my hopes up. I do have a short list of 3-5 teams though.

Slo

I'd like to propose a trade.

DJ Demon: In exchange for the #1 pick of the Madden GAF Season 3 team draft, I offer the #13 pick in the draft, as well as my solemn promise to refrain from pirating videogames, music, movies, and/or computer applications until after Week 8 of Season 3.

I eagerly await your response.

Fifty

I was just going to bring that up.....Can we trade draft picks? Not so much trading actually, as holding a team for someone else. Is it fair for a team with a high pick to give away a team to someone with a lower pick, even if someone in between wants that team? I think not, but we might as well raise the question.

Slo said:
I'd like to propose a trade.

DJ Demon: In exchange for the #1 pick of the Madden GAF Season 3 team draft, I offer the #13 pick in the draft, as well as my solemn promise to refrain from pirating videogames, music, movies, and/or computer applications until after Week 8 of Season 3.

I eagerly await your response.

Well, since I'm going to be the Redskins (and I don't think anyone else would pick them) and dominate you all anyway, I guess I wouldn't care....as long as you're picking a hometown team and not a good team just for the sake of playing them (*cough* Konex taking the Flyers even though he's not from Philly *cough*).

You should refrain from piracy anyway, you'll shoot your eye out.

you're taking the lions!? damn, i may have to take the cardinals or something. i can't pick a top ranked team if everyone else is playing w/ bums!

dont know who i will take for sure... i'm thinking chargers, titans, vikings, dolphins, colts, cardinals, bills or possibly the saints. time will tell!

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
you're taking the lions!? damn, i may have to take the cardinals or something. i can't pick a top ranked team if everyone else is playing w/ bums!

Pick the Niners

Mrbob

FrenchMovieTheme said:

dont know who i will take for sure... i'm thinking chargers, titans, vikings, dolphins, colts, cardinals, bills or possibly the saints. time will tell!

I await shutting down Brees, Thomlinson, and Gates 3 times in the regular season!

Fifty

I doubt the Chargers will be around. They're one of my top 2 teams, the other being Denver (just for Lynch), and knowing FMT, he'll finish above me. I hope he takes the Dolphins, I want to try and gameplan shutting down Travis Minor. :lol :lol :lol :lol

hgplayer1

:( @ *

Im 99.1% sure Ill sign up for season 3 since nobody plays ESPN leagues and i still need a football fix. damn you all for killing ESPN league play!

yes, Ill use the Cowboys again. screw it Im a homer.

I dont care what difficulty we play on since Im sure Ill just see more of the same and maybe some new and exciting BS from this game.

:lol @ Mrbobs tag. how long has it been like that?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fifty said:
I doubt the Chargers will be around. They're one of my top 2 teams, the other being Denver (just for Lynch), and knowing FMT, he'll finish above me. I hope he takes the Dolphins, I want to try and gameplan shutting down Travis Minor. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Dammit. I shouldn't have said anything to you last night.

What exactly is the question about bumping up difficulty? Across all Madden games ever, the difference has always been improved D. I don't understand how this is even a question.

Mrbob

Mrbobs tag. how long has it been like that?

I got tagged after one of my greatest Pro Cubs rants in history about a week or so ago!

I'm for all madden difficulty.

None of this wussy All Pro fluff anymore. Unless you women still want to play Madden like girlie girls. :D

Fifty

If that was true I'd be all for it. But we don't need the LBs jumping 18 feet in the air instead of 15. :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
All I know is, if we play all madden, I am picking a team like the chiefs or the colts so that I can have an o-line that gives me half a second instead of no time at all.

Slo

If by some miracle they're still around at #13, I'll be picking the Vikes. Yeah, they're cheese, but they're my hometown team, so they're my cheese. :)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Anything missing here?

All-time coaching records!

01. Ramirez: 21-3-1; 1 division title, 2-1 in playoff games, 1 Superbowl appearance
02. DMczaf: 20-5; 1 division title, 1-1 in playoff games
03. FMT: 16-7-1; 1 Wild Card berth, 3-0 in playoff games, 1 Superbowl title
04. Gunstar: 6-3
05. Drey: 9-6-1; 1 Wild Card berth, 0-1 in playoff games
06. Fifty: 13-11-1; 1 Wild Card berth, 0-1 in playoff games
07. MrBob: 12-10-3; 1 Division title, 0-1 in playoff games
08. Maverick: 6-6-4; 1 Division title, 1-1 in playoff games
09. Matrix: 11-12-2
10. CK: 10-13-2
11. HGplayer: 3-22
12. Slo: 2-11-3
13. Truelize: 2-7
14. DJ Demon: 1-8

I hate this game, but I will play season 3

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Fifty said:
If that was true I'd be all for it. But we don't need the LBs jumping 18 feet in the air instead of 15. :lol

Yeah this is what I'm worried about. If the defense gets even more Jedi-like in All-Madden then my vote is for keeping the league set on Pro.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Once again, it's too unreliable for me to play games with Gunstar and Truelize, because with such a tight deadline I can't promise that I'll be free late every evening.

Well good news or bad news, I guess it depends on how you look at it. My hours at work have changed slightly for the better. I can now play my leagues as early as 10 PM EST. By the way, I told all of you that I can play 9 AM EST until 11 AM EST as well, so I don't quite see where I am the problem when setting up a game with me?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Gunstar77 said:
Well good news or bad news, I guess it depends on how you look at it. My hours at work have changed slightly for the better. I can now play my leagues as early as 10 PM EST. By the way, I told all of you that I can play 9 AM EST until 11 AM EST as well, so I don't quite see where I am the problem when setting up a game up with me?

10 PM EST will work for me. :D I look forward to owning an Eagles fan!

I leave my house at 6 AM to be at work at 7 AM, get home at around 6PM. Your current hours do not work for me during the week.

Fifty

Gunstar77 said:
Well good news or bad news, I guess it depends on how you look at it. My hours at work have changed slightly for the better. I can now play my leagues as early as 10 PM EST. By the way, I told all of you that I can play 9 AM EST until 11 AM EST as well, so I don't quite see where I am the problem when setting up a game up with me?

Well in that case it's fine.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I vote we play Season 3 in All Madden after discussion with a number of fellow league-ers. It's nigh impossible to stop certain passing routes and I, for one, am sick of it. I am forced to cover mediocre fuckin TE's with Michael Strahan because the stupid LB gives the fucking guy too much of a cushion. Yeah give that cushion to Shockey, Heap, Witten, Gates, Gonzalez, but not some schmuck like Carswell. The deep outside/inside post has drawn a lot of heat as of late, not just from me. DBs don't play the under, or inside routes. Fuck it. Let's have our games end up 3-0.

No amount of perfect playcalling even helps sometimes.

Fifty

I propose that we turn fairplay off. We're all smart people and I don't think it would be a problem. The advantages would be that we'd get to put defensive players in on offensive plays....like goalline situations (and marvin harrison in at DB for the Colts) and we'd be able to go for it even when the game says no. I don't think people would abuse that, or feel the need to go for it when they wouldn't have with fairplay on, it would just give the players an extra edge.

Mrbob

Wellington said:
I vote we play Season 3 in All Madden after discussion with a number of fellow league-ers. It's nigh impossible to stop certain passing routes and I, for one, am sick of it. I am forced to cover mediocre fuckin TE's with Michael Strahan because the stupid LB gives the fucking guy too much of a cushion. Yeah give that cushion to Shockey, Heap, Witten, Gates, Gonzalez, but not some schmuck like Carswell. The deep outside/inside post has drawn a lot of heat as of late, not just from me. DBs don't play the under, or inside routes. Fuck it. Let's have our games end up 3-0.

No amount of perfect playcalling even helps sometimes.

YES! Let the ALL MADDEN team grow!!! :D :D

I actually agree about turning the fair play option off. I've had situations where I have 4th and 3 at the opponents 37 yard line and I have to punt because of fair play. Most of the time I will, but if it is the 3rd quarter and I'm down by 10 I'd like to have the chance to go for it on 4th down. In fact even if the game is 0-0 I may go for it with field position and yardage like that. 54 yard field goal is usually too long and most of my punts at that field position go into the end zone so that is only a 17 yard differnce. At least it gives me the option to go for it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I don't agree with the offensive/defensive subs. Having a WR at TE could be deadly, and using a sub where the RB is the QB, would be ultimate cheese. I just see it as more things to argue about. Also, I would hate it if I am playing someone and they kept going for it over and over on 4th down.

I think we all have been in situations where we wish the game would let us go for it on 4th, but the possible negative ramifications seem to outweigh the positive ones.

Mrbob

Well, maybe we can institute a rule where you can't go for it on 4th down unless it is 4th and 4 or less and you are at the oppoenents 40 yard line or closer. Of course this rule wouldn't apply for the 4th quarter.

if you're going to turn fair play off you have to live with the consequences. i've seen the niners go for it in real life on 4th and 1 from inside their own 30 and convert. then they got a TD on the drive. so if we're going to turn fair play off we have to go all the way

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
FrenchMovieTheme said:
if you're going to turn fair play off you have to live with the consequences. i've seen the niners go for it in real life on 4th and 1 from inside their own 30 and convert. then they got a TD on the drive. so if we're going to turn fair play off we have to go all the way

We already have enough complaining about cheap play in the current league, do we really want to open this league up to more problems?

Fifty

Gunstar77 said:
We already have enough complaining about cheap play in the current league, do we really want to open this league up to more problems?

I think the things people are complaining about are game-related (DBs not covering that post play) moreso than user-related. Anyway, I didn't think anyone would make crazy subs....or else they'd be kicked out of the league, but hey, look what New England does every week. This would just give his a teeny bit of flexibilty. Maybe I'm just too trusting, in thinking that none of us would abuse that power.

Don't turn fair play off. I can guarantee that there are money plays on 4th down that will get you the yardage. It will kill many people's 3 down defense (like mine, for example). I agree there are some game instances where it would be appropriate to go for it but the game won't allow it, but better to chalk it up to your O not performing enough and get your special teams/defense working to get you the ball back asap then to give some of the NFL's high octane offenses even easier 1st downs.

Top Bottom