• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Hajime no Ippo 1194-1196

like I just can't...George just wants us to be stuck in some sort of limbo....he's creating problems for no reason now...Now ippo so focused on using the dempsy roll that now he has tunnel vision allowing him to be hit!?!?!

I just about threw my computer reading this...

Thank you for posting this.

I would also like to add, did Ippo not learn anything from fighting Sawamura?

Zweizer

Banned
Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu ch49

img0000015hsea.png

Kids these days learn some pretty deep stuff. Kako is a good model for that at least, although not in the scholarly sense.

Monster Musume ch55

Rachnee best support class.

A Kiss and a White Lily ch35.1

Shiramine is hardly better than Kurosawa, lol.

Yuki to Sumi ch4

She certainly has a way with words. I hope MC won't fall for her, but seems like it's headed in that direction.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch64

Gotta say, Rokudou has some insane luck.

Witch Hat Atelier ch7

A cloud mattress made of sand is a pretty novel idea. Too bad the dragon's happiness didn't last.

Hozuki-san Chi no Aneki + Imouto ch33-37

This one only sounds half-bad, but still...

Where do you get the info that the author was changed for Darkness? Source please.

Did some double-checking, and was proven wrong. Same author. Different artists. Which means that the story had to have drastically changed in style for him to have been unrecognizable. I liked the non-h ecchi arcs of the original manga that knew just how far to push. Darkness functions on the same level of Michael Bay's Transformers. You absolutely hate it, but it's so marketable and popular that it is guaranteed to stick around for a long long time.

bobohoro

If it actually ends now with Ippo discovering he's punch drunk I wouldn't even be mad

I'd be mad with any other path the manga could take.
Seriously, if it was a refight against some rival I could take the drama with a sudden comeback from the abyss, but with the way it is going a bad end would be the only acceptable outcome now. Else this fight would be incredibly pointless and filler.

zroid

Banned
Sword Art Online Progressive ch 1-21

This manga is... weird. I haven't read the Progressive novels yet, but I wonder how much the manga deviates. Like, the characters just don't seem quite like themselves compared to the original SAO novels. their personalities are too different and to me it can't just be chalked up to the earlier timeframe.

apart from that the art is solid and the story is fine, albeit a little bit slower paced than I'd have liked. there's also too much lewd shit, which is, I suppose, the manga author trying to get as much out of the medium as possible. hopefully the novels are better than this.

one thing I liked is the story is told more from Asuna's perspective than Kirito here, which is a bit refreshing

Won

Hajime no Ippo

Fuck this. I hope the kid is really broken and the manga just ends there. I can't take it anymore.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hajime no Ippo

Dude's getting frustrated because he keeps tripping over that guy's foot. Every time he goes down or gets hit it's because of that foot. He should just break the damn thing already and be done with it.

Hajime no Ippo 1197

One of the greatest chapters in the series. I'm completely fucking destroyed.

Everything makes sense now, and goddamnit. GODDAMNIT.

There's no way Ippo will actually go all Ashita no Joe.

Considering how often Morikawa has taken breaks or released short chapters due to health issues, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to move towards the end.

Of course this could just be another fakeout and
Ippo will snap like Takamura did against Hawk, and probably kill that kid lol

Either way, it seems like Ippo's going to change drastically one way or another, which is great.

Please explain. I don't mind getting spoiled

Ashita no Joe was a famous boxing manga that ended
with the manga character fighting on despite being punch-drunk in the final fight. The manga ends with him losing and seemingly dying in the ring, but with a smile on his face presumably, because he went farther than anyone expected and went out on his own terms.

Now Ippo is pulling the punch-drunk card but I highly doubt the manga will pull that trigger.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hajime no Ippo is in dire need of a time skip.

Takamura still hasn't reached the heavyweight championship, Manabu's career is still in limbo, hell, even Aoki hasn't gotten his revenge match

This is what I'm thinking. Even if it's only a year or so it'd allow a lot of movement.

hajime no ippo 1197

still not buying this "punch drunk" George is trying to pull over us, he tried to do the thing Takamura to a lesser degree. Ippo getting weaker has always(in my opinion) has been a will to fight; Ippo always wanted to be the coache's lapdog rather than actually wanting to be the best in his division or having a goal like Takamura, Sendo, or Miyata. Other than wanting to face Miyata Ippo has always been ho-hum about his boxing. Also Ippo now has his plot armor in his pledge to Kumi that if he looses a match he'll retire.

so just end this fight already, Ippo was clearly sharp as always at the beginning of this fight, the only thing fumbling him has been him try to show off the fucking dempsy roll when IT'S NOT FUCKING NEEDED!!! this down is probably Ippo still weak from that counter he was hit with.

jitsu wa watashi wa 191

At least Asahi's sister realized people weren't normal after that ridiculous sports tournament.

Also, sure is interesting what happens in the future.

Tripon

Hiraheishi wa Kako wo Yumemiru 1-17

Like Tsuyokute New Saga , another series where a soldier makes to the end of the war/world and gets transported back to the past. He then tries to change events in order to make the world a better place. Current chapters put them into Hogwarts.

It's an okay read with some good art. I'll keep on reading.

casiopao

Just started Kanade hope it will be as hot as Kagetora lol.

Tenkuu Shinpan 188
Thats bold move by the author lol. Killing an important waifu just like that?0_0

Go Toubun Hanayome 07
Uukhhh another push for the worst waifu. At least got nice kimono look for other twin.

Hinamtsuri 71
Idiots will stays idiot lol. Cheating and still getting zero is one of a kind.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Hinamatsuri ch. 71

I've seen some shit luck with gacha, but having a bird snatch your phone in the middle of a roll just might be the worst.

Hajime no Ippo

lol

I think I would like this more if Ippo had shown more skill in the past, then it would mean something. The problem is, he has leaned too heavily on super strength and super ability to take punches over skill, even to the point where it feels unrealistic. The author is stretching this out to a miserable extent, seemingly with the idea of Ippo previously having been on a pedestal, when in reality he has previously been winning unrealistically and if there isn't going to be any revelation (unrelated to super punch taking) I'd be happy for him to stop boxing.

black_clavus

Neo Member
Ajin

Expecting shounen with tragedy, glad I was wrong lol. I really like this manga, my only complaint is horrible slow pacing at the middle, must be really suck if you waiting chapter by chapter otherwise I felt this is really solid.

Is there any online service where I can read this legally?

Zweizer

Banned
Girls' Last Tour Anthology Comic: Final Tour by Tsukumizu

Three things surprised me in this: that there's an anthology of Girls' Last Tour (also known as Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou/Shoujo Apocalypse Adventure), that the author of the official series did a short story for it, and that it's yuri. Anyways, it was a enjoyable short sort of what-if story, depicting how they'd live in a world that wasn't completely devastated and devoid of life. It carries the frequent self-reflections that the main series is known for, and serves well as a break from its generally wistful mood, even if the fact that it was ultimately only a fantasy only makes it more wistful.

Thud

So this is how Ippo is going out? Fuck that.

No really, fuck that George.

He passed the CTE protocol! Maybe it's a fake out?

It's a switch. When ippo gets punched he gets wonky or unconscious even. Doing something like drawing a straight line is easy because the switch is off.

Look at the fight and how many times he tripped. Ippo doesn't remember going down. Ippo doesn't remember being punched. Ippo doesn't remember the things his coach taught. The fact that he's so focused on the dempsey is his only drive now.

dani_dc

Jitsu wa Watashi 191

Nice of them go with pararrel timelines.

I had forgotten about ninja girl being from the future.

The twitst was quite nice, though it didn't explain why she was gone for so long.

At least they had a good ending in the future too, and Ashahi gets to have a 25 year looking perverted girlfriend at his old age.

Hinamatsuri Chapter 71

Never change, Hina. Once a leech, always a leech.
We should all acheive to follow her footsteps.

Ippo

28 years, 1200 chapters. And I've read them all. If Morikawa flushes it all down the toilet with this shit punch drunk storyline I will blow up. Ippo is not where I go for depression and heartbreak. This has always been heart pumping, pure shonen where the main character rises to the top. To end it with Ippo being brain damaged before even glimpsing the top will be depressing beyond words.

Usobuko

Banned
Ippo won against Wally ( Indo. Champion ) with 5 miserable punches that don't seem to have any impact.

That's the part where most of you guys should bail.

Takuan

Ippo

28 years, 1200 chapters. And I've read them all. If Morikawa flushes it all down the toilet with this shit punch drunk storyline I will blow up. Ippo is not where I go for depression and heartbreak. This has always been heart pumping, pure shonen where the main character rises to the top. To end it with Ippo being brain damaged before even glimpsing the top will be depressing beyond words.
What if Takamura was the real MC

I think we're in store for an ass pull, so I'm eager to see the next chapters when we get them. Fight's gone on too long.

What if Takamura was the real MC

I think we're in store for an ass pull, so I'm eager to see the next chapters when we get them. Fight's gone on too long.
Nah, if Ippo retires, that's the end of the manga. No Takamura storyline, no Sendo or Miyata storyline. Morikawa has been quite unwell. Wouldn't be surprised if 1200 is the last chapter. Maybe we get a bonus time skip chapter.

I can sympathise if he wants to move on for health reasons, that is much more important. But still disappointing in retrospect if we've wasted so many useless side stories and it's had to come to this in the end.

dani_dc

Honestly, for (at least) the last 10 years, outside of an occasional good arc here and there, Ippo story has been dragging itself.

It would be disappointing to see the story end abruptly, but I don't think Morikawa really knows where to go with Ippo (the character) and hasn't known that since a bit after he won the Japanese title.

Thud

I find it more interesting than if Ippo would continue to dominate.

Sure would have I like o see that Martinez fight someday, but recent events have not sullied my enjoyment of the series.

DNAbro

Blue Flag 19

This was pretty much "nothing happens" the chapter. Like so many pages dedicated to Futaba and Taichi not saying anything. At least they look cute together.

This is cute though
wI4jZPf.png

Eylos

Banned
Hajime no Ippo
Fuck this shit, he wants to end like the manga of
slam dunk
, why morikawa IS doing this. In any possible scenario of:
its nothing, or Ippo is fucked,
this shit in this fight sux, If Ippo is fucked its horrible to end the manga like this,If he isnt why the hell you are doing this

Even if Ippo insists on fighting It Will end on his disease, ughhhhhhhhhhhh

aAaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA

Top Bottom