• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Ascend

Even though I finished all Mass Effect games within one week, Andromeda took me over a year... I noticed that it is only fun in VERY short bursts. Anything much longer than an hour or two, and the little annoyance become just too many, the story becomes too boring, the characters too shallow... I did enjoy it in its own way, but it definitely left a lot to be desired.

Mass Effect Andromeda ultimately seems like a game that took all the negative things of each part of the trilogy and threw them together trying to be a good game. They took the corridor structure of ME2 and tried to make it open world, included the polish and character depth of ME1 (or lack thereof), added the fetch quests of ME3 and boosted them to the level of Inquisition.

prag16

Banned
Even though I finished all Mass Effect games within one week, Andromeda took me over a year... I noticed that it is only fun in VERY short bursts. Anything much longer than an hour or two, and the little annoyance become just too many, the story becomes too boring, the characters too shallow... I did enjoy it in its own way, but it definitely left a lot to be desired.

Mass Effect Andromeda ultimately seems like a game that took all the negative things of each part of the trilogy and threw them together trying to be a good game. They took the corridor structure of ME2 and tried to make it open world, included the polish and character depth of ME1 (or lack thereof), added the fetch quests of ME3 and boosted them to the level of Inquisition.
I think part of it can depend on how you play the game. Play it as an 80 hour slog, and it'll be a slog. Pare down the bullshit and play through in 40 hours, and that's the way to go imo. There was definitely aspects that were a slog, and it's the only Mass Effect game in which I didn't immediately start a second playthrough. But I have to disagree on the cast of characters. I was more or less happy with most of the character building with the squad. Though the story definitely could have been better. I still would have liked DLC and/or a sequel. But I guess we'll have to wait and see where Mass Effect goes from here.

prag16

Banned
I just reinstalled Mass Effect 1 this week and installed some texture mods. I haven't played it since around when Mass Effect 2 came out iirc. Not bad; holds up better than I expected, though my shots not going where I'm aiming is annoying. Gotta keep leveling up to address that.. I can see what they were going for with the RPG aspect of that but that was a welcome change in ME2, getting rid of that scattershot inaccuracy. In retrospect you can definitely kind of see the ways Andromeda tried to bring back aspects of ME1 into the fold. I liked it more than most but it's too bad they didn't have the time and/or resources and/or competence to really make it all entirely click.

I've 100% completed this game and have no regrets. Hopefully the new game will have Andromeda's combat system (the best in the series) with tactical gameplay and difficulty of ME2 - on harder difficulty levels of diffuculty, ME2 was amazing and hard as balls of steel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom