• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2015 (Dec 29 - Jan 04)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Right, but it's had tons of other spinoffs, on more popular platforms, that haven't had near the success that some are expecting.
So why would this be so special?

Looking at stuff that One Piece is succeeding in, such as licensed media in general, where Dragon Quest has limited presence outside of the big game launches, it's hard to see that.
During the time following Dragon Quest III, it was easy to see, with stuff like Dai's Adventure really taking off, but nowadays, everything seems limited to just games.

so all the merchandise, local, cafè, food, accessories, app...don't count? if there is something extremely popular in Japan it's DQ

EDIT: btw, why is setting the bar too high looking at it thinking that it could be able to surpass One Piece, if we already saw this:

[PS3] One Piece Pirate Warriors - 85+26pt
[PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes - 115pt
[PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes - 70pt

One Piece = 111
DQH = 185

Not counting the already sold copipes of DQH (the ones included in the PS4 bundles: does someone remember the number?)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Looking at stuff that One Piece is succeeding in, such as licensed media in general, where Dragon Quest has limited presence outside of the big game launches, it's hard to see that.
During the time following Dragon Quest III, it was easy to see, with stuff like Dai's Adventure really taking off, but nowadays, everything seems limited to just games.

But we are in a Media Create thread ;.; not a licensing thread hahaha

crinale

Yeah well we can say the same about Hokuto Musou not doing even better too. They're all made by the same people. Omega Force isn't going to suddenly start making critically acclaimed games with amazing word of mouth. These games sell based on brand power and hype, and will generally be really front loaded.

Except that Hokuto Musou isn't made by Omega Force (same goes to Zelda Musou).
But yeah KT have tendency to make okay-ish games, not critically acclaimed ones.

duckroll

If you think that Dragon Quest has a "limited presence" in Japan and in the minds of the general public outside of big game launches, then you obviously know don't what you're talking about. It doesn't have a TV show or annual movies, but it is very much actively out there, it is popular with people of all ages, there is merchandising, and the characters/monsters are incredibly iconic.

Like I said, the buying audience for One Piece comics (the primary product) is 3+ million. The buying audience for Dragon Quest games (the primary product) is 3-4 million. Beyond that, both franchises are actively in the mind of the Japanese public of all ages. Saying that Dragon Quest isn't as big because it doesn't have an ongoing TV show and annual movies is silly because there are far less popular things which have or had ongoing TV shows and annual movies.

Is it just an ad in a train station? If it is just an ad, ignore what I have said.

As far as I know, that's the only "real" ad ever reported for the game. There might be others, outside stores, of course, but not a huge investment so far. It's FuRyu after all.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Except that Hokuto Musou isn't made by Omega Force (same goes to Zelda Musou).
But yeah KT have tendency to make okay-ish games, not critically acclaimed ones.

Omega Force co-developed with Team Ninja the Zelda game. On Wikipedia Omega Force appears to be the developers also for Ken's rage. Am I wrong?

Busaiku

I'll definitely admit to ignorance, as it's hard to understand the extent of Dragon Quest's popularity among youth, when there are fewer avenues to gauge that on for it (Dragon Quest).

crinale

Omega Force co-developed with Team Ninja the Zelda game. On Wikipedia Omega Force appears to be the developers also for Ken's rage. Am I wrong?

Just saw the English wikipedia about Ken's rage and it does say Omega force as the dev, kinda weird, hmm.
Afaik it's like a common knowledge that that is one of very few exceptions Omega isn't involved, at least among Japanese gamers.
(For example see the link here). Anyway that really doesn't nullify Duckroll's point so I'll stop here.

duckroll

I checked the Ken's Rage opening on Youtube and there's no Omega Force logo at boot up. It could be true. If anyone knows for sure, it would be a nice piece of info to have.

mclem

If you think that Dragon Quest has a "limited presence" in Japan and in the minds of the general public outside of big game launches, then you obviously know don't what you're talking about. It doesn't have a TV show or annual movies, but it is very much actively out there,

Out of interest, was there ever an attempt at one? I'd be slightly surprised if there was never an attempt at something along those lines, given - say - the likes of Persona got movies. But then, I can't say I've ever heard of one.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Uh, I really don't think DQH will ever get to a million (or even 900k). 800k maybe with new bundles.
Seems to me you're really overestimating. Even with the appeal of DQ, it's a musou on PS4, which still hasn't sold that much yet. A DQH2 in some years could maybe get that high, but I really don't believe it...
It's not a PS4 exclusive, of course we wouldn't have such expectations if it wasn't also on PS3.

Oregano

Like I said, the buying audience for One Piece comics (the primary product) is 3+ million. The buying audience for Dragon Quest games (the primary product) is 3-4 million. Beyond that, both franchises are actively in the mind of the Japanese public of all ages. Saying that Dragon Quest isn't as big because it doesn't have an ongoing TV show and annual movies is silly because there are far less popular things which have or had ongoing TV shows and annual movies.

From the sounds of it Square Enix might be doing to change the fact 3 million is the sales floor.;)

Couldn't resist

It would be a shame if Zesteria sales are low and the game is good.

I think God Eater 2: Rage Burst looks pretty decent based on these numbers. Although the PS4 is painting a whole different picture. A Monster Hunter/God Eater on a console won't sell any close to a handheld release.

I'm not that's good for God Eater really. The Vita version doing 75% of the GE2 Vita is in line with other G versions but the PS4 is not making up for the lack of PSP. They have simply evaporated.

I'm not that's good for God Eater really. The Vita version doing 75% of the GE2 Vita is in line with other G versions but the PS4 is not making up for the lack of PSP. They have simply evaporated.
I am talking mainly about the Vita but yeh, the PSP version sales are not being picked by the PS4.

Oregano

I am talking mainly about the Vita but yeh, the PSP version sales are not being picked by the PS4.

The Vita version is easily pulling its weight but it's got to be troubling if they haven't been able to convince the PSP owners to upgrade.

I imagine Koei Tecmo might be watching it closely as well considering they've already said they want to take Toukiden to (a) console(s).

ZhugeEX

Banned
I checked the Ken's Rage opening on Youtube and there's no Omega Force logo at boot up. It could be true. If anyone knows for sure, it would be a nice piece of info to have.

It's developed by Koei using the LTGL engine. (Same one Omega Force use)

Also Omega Force is part of Koei. So doesn't really make a difference.

jeremy1456

I'm pretty sure DQH won't hit a million.

I think anything above 600k will be pretty darn unexpected. In a good way.

You guys have pretty unrealistic expectations for this title.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The full listing of all companies involved starts here.
Omega Force is never listed.

Compare that to One Piece Pirate Warriors, which of course has the Omega Force logo.
Here's Dynasty Warriors 8, a fully Koei-only game, which also has Omega Force.

To be fair the producer is the same guy who made Samurai Warriors and worked on numerous other Omega Force titles.

Like I said above, Koei and Omega Force are pretty much interchangeable. But yes, wasn't the omega force team working on this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The Dragon Quest remakes only did 1.2 million on the 3DS.

I'd say 800k -1 million.

So you agree with me then ? If they are aiming for a 1 million and sell only 900K no one will get fired because of that. Its just ballpark figure.

Takao

Banned
Maybe I'm just projecting here, but wouldn't PS4 owners be more likely to pre-order games? Early adopters of a console are usually the hardcore fans. Dragon Quest is a general audience brand and PS4 hasn't hit that threshold.

No PS4. Konami, are you that stupid?

PS3 : Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 ( Konami ) { 2013-11-14 } - 153,410 / 308,507

PS3 : Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 ( Konami ) { 2014-11-13 } - 76,407 / 146,045
PS4 : Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 ( Konami ) { 2014-11-13 } - 26,627 / 39,640

PS3 : Pro Baseball Spirits 2014 ( Konami ) { 2014-03-20 } - 70,208 / 127,019
PSP : Pro Baseball Spirits 2014 ( Konami ) { 2014-03-20 } - 31,494 / 70,821
PSV : Pro Baseball Spirits 2014 ( Konami ) { 2014-03-20 } - 28,944 / 54,322

PES is the bigger series and has sold poorly on PS4. This is proof that Konami isn't convinced of PS4's ability to establish a significant enough userbase in Japan this year. If you're risk adverse, this is not a horrible idea, but of course if they do eventually expect PBS and Power Pros to move to PS4, it wouldn't hurt them to invest early. They'd be splitting engine/asset creation costs over more SKUs.

The 3DS games are odd. The Dragon one is seemingly a puzzle RPG by Rocket Company. The other is some fairy tail thing by Success, but both star this thing maybe?

250px-Funassyi.jpg

Funassyi is a very popular mascot IIRC. Could be a good seller. $5 on the Rocket game being developed by Delta-Arts. #ripmedarot

maxiell

1 million at launch is out of the question for DQH. I'd expect the PS3 version to sell above the PS4 version by a solid amount; 2:1 seems extreme.

hiska-kun

Is it just an ad in a train station? If it is just an ad, ignore what I have said.

They were 5 train stations according to Famitsu. I saw the ads in Ikebukuro, Shinjuku and Shibuya. I don't know about the other two (I guess Tokyo, and Ueno or maybe Akihabara, not big station but gamer zone).

But it was for a limited time, just a week by the end of November. This ads are not there anymore.

http://s.famitsu.com/news/201411/25066439.html

hiska-kun

Akihabara not a big station? It's Top20 for all of Japan for sure.

Akihabara is not a big station if you compare it with Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya or Tokyo Stations that are literally Huge and have more lines operating.

Edit: I found this ranking of the busiest stations in the World:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/01/...ions-in-the-world-all-but-6-located-in-japan/

1 Shinjuku (Tokyo, Japan)
2 Shibuya (Tokyo, Japan)
3 Ikebukuro (Tokyo, Japan)

4 Umeda (Osaka, Japan)
5 Yokohama (Kanagawa, Japan)
6 Kita-Senju (Tokyo, Japan)
7 Nagoya (Aichi, Japan)
8 Tokyo (Tokyo, Japan)
9 Shinagawa (Tokyo, Japan)
10 Takadanobaba (Tokyo, Japan)
11 Namba (Osaka, Japan)
12 Shinbashi (Tokyo, Japan)
13 Tennouji (Osaka, Japan)
14 Akihabara (Tokyo, Japan)
15 Kyoto (Kyoto, Japan)
16 Sannomiya (Kobe, Japan)
17 Omiya (Saitama, Japan)
18 Yurakucho-Hibiya (Tokyo, Japan)
19 Nishi-Funabashi (Chiba, Japan)
20 Meguro (Tokyo, Japan)
21 Daimon-Hamamatsucho (Tokyo, Japan)
22 Ueno (Tokyo, Japan)

Ueno is not as crowded as I thought then. Anyway it seems it's Shinbashi the fifth station, not Akihabara.

monpiece

Banned
They were 5 train stations according to Famitsu. I saw the ads in Ikebukuro, Shinjuku and Shibuya. I don't know about the other two (I guess Tokyo, and Ueno or maybe Akihabara, not big station but gamer zone).

But it was for a limited time, just a week by the end of November. This ads are not there anymore.

http://s.famitsu.com/news/201411/25066439.html

Ah, okay. I was under the impression that the ad campaign was much stronger than their other titles, from what people were talking.

And I also have no idea of the budget to run a limited ad campaign on subway. If it is not that expensive, maybe it is something niche publishers should do more often.

duckroll

The Gundam Breaker 2 demo has a promo tie-in with the full game, where based on the number of downloads the demo gets, it will unlock stuff in the full game as well. The first milestone is 100k, and the reward is a HG GM. So it's just acknowledging that the first milestone has been reached.

The Gundam Breaker 2 demo has a promo tie-in with the full game, where based on the number of downloads the demo gets, it will unlock stuff in the full game as well. The first milestone is 100k, and the reward is a HG GM. So it's just acknowledging that the first milestone has been reached.
how many milestones are there? or its not known yet

L~A

Curious to see this week's sales, with the infamous Week 2 drop.

By the way, Media Create about Week52:

Software sales decreased by nearly 30% from last year, being stagnant for Christmas week

・ Total software sales were 1.517 million copies, which were 79.45% compared to last week.
Software sales decreased by around 580 thousand copies from the same week last year (Dec. 23 – 29 2013: decreased to 72.42% of last year), when total software sales had soundly topped 2 million copies.
In addition to that, they also decreased from the same week 2012 and before (sales of the same week in 2012 had been 1.701 million copies, while those of the same week in 2011 had been 1.621 million copies), so they showed stagnant sales for a week including Christmas day.
Particularly, neither the PS4 nor the Vita covered the decrease in sales of their predecessors because of limited number of their big titles that can lead sales in the end and the beginning of the year selling season, and therefore sales of PS format plunged to 41.30% of last year and 59.56% of the year before last.

・ As for old titles, accumulated sales of “Youkai Watch 2: Headliner” outnumbered 2 million copies in the third week since its release, while accumulated sales of it and 2 versions of “Youkai Watch 2: Founder/Head” amounted to 5.079 million copies.
Besides, accumulated sales of “Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS,” which raised sales figures in the end of the year selling season, topped 2 million copies. Among the titles released in 2014, it is the third single title which achieved to sell 2 million copies like “Monster Hunter 4G.”

Top Bottom