• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2015 (Apr 06 - Apr 12)

Bravely Third wont happen with a bigger budget. It's even likely Second had a lesser budget than the first one. Square-Enix expect growth when they wont even market the damn thing or give it a chance.

Bravely Default could have sold a lot better, they didnt take the chance. Bravely Second could sell better than Default, they're not taking the chance. They're expecting more sales with less efforts. Good on them, a new IP is about to die.

It's hard to say which art-style direction SQEX would take with a potential Bravely Third. I'm not sure they will go for proportionated character models since one of the most reconizable features of the first two is the super-deformed style. The only thing I could see really improving is the dungeons' graphics.

If there's a notable decline in the West then I can see bravely Third being cancelled since it got most of its sales there.

Its a shame the IP did not grow but looks like SE did not believe it had potential to warrant higher budgets.

If there's a notable decline in the West then I can see bravely Third being cancelled since it got most of its sales there.

Its a shame the IP did not grow but looks like SE did not believe it had potential to warrant higher budgets.

...which is counterintuitive, right?

BD was the best-selling new IP by SQEX since what, KH? A million worldwide is surely an outstanding result for such a traditional jRPG on an handheld. Few SQEX could do as much in the West even though they had FF and DQ names attached.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
where is MPl90 when I need him?

Some comparison with these Comgnet?

[3DS] PUZZLE & DRAGONS SUPER MARIO BROS EDITION - 138pt
with P&DZ

[Wii] Dragon Quest X ancient dragon lore online - 66pt
[WiiU] Dragon Quest X ancient dragon lore online - 55pt
with the previous expansion packs

[3DS] Brave Lee Second - 66pt
with BDefault

[WiiU] Xenoblade Chronicles Cross - 46pt
with Xenoblade 3D

Bravely Third wont happen with a bigger budget. It's even likely Second had a lesser budget than the first one. Square-Enix expect growth when they wont even market the damn thing or give it a chance.

Bravely Default could have sold a lot better, they didnt take the chance. Bravely Second could sell better than Default, they're not taking the chance. They're expecting more sales with less efforts. Good on them, a new IP is about to die.

it make no sense to me.
It seems to me that Square Enix is just dropping support for 3DS (and Nintendo in general).
Their future is Mobile and Playstation only.

it make no sense to me.
It seems to me that Square Enix is just dropping support for 3DS (and Nintendo in general).
Their future is Mobile and Playstation only.

They did after Dragon Quest VII. The rest of their release were low budget ones. The only one who seen success had nothing to do with them. Yep, that's it, Bravely Default success has nothing to do with Square-Enix, that explain why it was a success in the first place. Marketing was mainly done in Nintendo Direct and various demos, Square-Enix made limited printed copies the first month, plans for a localisation were non existent. It baffles me how a publisher can be so blind when there's money to be made.

Yes, SQEX will likely never develop for a Nintendo hardware anymore.

I think they'll still will, but that would be for low budget efforts. Also, maybe free to play games if their next handheld is successful.

Sandfox

They did after Dragon Quest VII. The rest of their release were low budget ones. The only one who seen success had nothing to do with them. Yep, that's it, Bravely Default success has nothing to do with Square-Enix, that explain why it was a success in the first place. Marketing was mainly done in Nintendo Direct and various demos, Square-Enix made limited printed copies the first month, plans for a localisation were non existent. It baffles me how a publisher can be so blind when there's money to be made.

I think they'll still will, but that would be for low budget efforts. Also, maybe free to play games if their next handheld is successful.
I would say FF Explorers was a success.

Felessan

You should look at this as a part of a bigger picture. SE has limited staff and there is always such thing as opportunity cost (you can spend more money on BS or you can spend more money on ff14 or mobile title, and latter two will have much better return on investments).
So it's understandable that they decided (at least at some point of time) to focus on those things that bring them the most money - mobile, mmo and their biggest franchises.
It seems that now things eased a bit, so I wouldn't rule out Bravely Third even with better budget, given that the second one will not flop.

wrowa

You should look at this as a part of a bigger picture. SE has limited staff and there is always such thing as opportunity cost (you can spend more money on BS or you can spend more money on ff14 or mobile title, and latter two will have much better return on investments).
So it's understandable that they decided (at least at some point of time) to focus on those things that bring them the most money - mobile, mmo and their biggest franchises.
It seems that now things eased a bit, so I wouldn't rule out Bravely Third even with better budget, given that the second one will not flop.

Doesn't actually matter in this case since Bravely is not an internally developed title. It's being developed by Silicon Studio, the developers behind 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Anyway, in terms of Bravely Second the issue seems to be that SE was surprised by the huge success Bravely Default received in the USA and Europe. They already set Second's budget in stone at that point and were unwilling - or unable - to change it afterwards. As a result, Bravely Second seems to be a sequel developed with a shoe-string budget, despite being the successor to a million-selling game. Shit happens.

Felessan

Doesn't actually matter in this case since Bravely is not an internally developed title. It's being developed by Silicon Studio, the developers behind 3D Dot Game Heroes.
You still need money & supervision for outsourced titles. The bigger the title - the more money and more attention you should pay even for outsourced project.
Outsourcing project never makes it "free" on your side, even with only human resources taken into account.

The hyperbole in this thread....that is still a good number for ps4 considering the state of the japanese market. If it maintains around there during slow months it will do fine.

Famitsu:

Girls Mode 3 - 58,965

Previous entries (first week):
Girls Mode 2 - 72,181
Girls Mode - 86,446
Bonus: Girls Mode 2 expansion - 12,522

Girls Mode 3 is expected to hold well next week because of Golden Week.

3DS - around 20k
PS4 - around 13k
PSV - around 14k

L~A

Media Create:

PS4 15,419
Vita 14,568
New3DS LL 14,047
Wii U 6,324
New3DS 5,324
PS3 4,175
3DS LL 1,309
3DS 1,144
Vita TV 491
Xbox One 170

Girls Mode 3: 55k

test_account

XP-39C²
Another slow week. I'm not sure if Golden Week will change things that much, it didnt do that last year at least.

Pennywise83: Its the opposite, Vita is about 15k and PS4 is about 14k :)

Oregano

Bravely Second was greenlit on the back of just JP sales and going by Asano's comment it would likely be the same for Bravely Third.

I doubt western sales are a factor at all, otherwise BS would be announced already.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
MediaCreate

Week 16, 2014
3DS - 19,943
Vita - 19,038
PS4 - 14,396
Wii U - 5,204

Week 16, 2015
3DS - 21,824
PS4 - 15,419
Vita - 15,059
Wii U - 6,324

Top Bottom