• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2015 (Apr 13 - Apr 19)

Oregano

On a related note the systems of 4 Heroes of Light are much more mobile friendly than Bravely Default's and it's a surprise they didn't/haven't ported that game especially with Matrix being one of their go to mobile studios.

Sandfox

I read the whole thread while I was waiting for your response (which I should of done earlier), interesting discussion.

This is where I lose you because I don't think Final Fantasy is in a downward spiral currently; it was previously yes, but SE has found their footing in that regard since the re-launch of FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

As I mentioned earlier, one cannot expect a Final Fantasy mainline game to sell as it previously has back in the PS2 (21 million JP) & PS3 era (11 million JP) - the marketplace has changed vastly since then. Each mainline game X (almost 3 million), XIII (2 million+) have declined in Japan, in part due to the console install base (and critical reception).

We will most likely see the same thing happen with the PS4, where LTD will most likely be half of the PS3, and XV will suffer as a result (1.2 million is my guess).

I don't think the above should lead to the conclusion that Final Fantasy is on a downward slope, more that the marketplace has changed. New offerings came about such as mobile, handhelds, and PC to the user; thus limiting the appeal of owing a console (an investment in itself).

As such, SE catered to those needs with the likes of Record Keeper, and FF:XIV AR among others. What's the purpose of buying XV or other mainline entries if I'm already satisfied by those offerings on other platforms? Do we view it as a decline, or more as fragmentation of the consumer base?

But I think this is what you were trying to convey with your earlier posts if I'm not mistaken with the HD, Mobile segment presentations?

I don't really agree with the idea that FFXIV is some sort of sign that FF isn't in decline.

I wonder what will happen when SQEX will have not powerful IPs left, because of mobile fidelization is harder (and I cannot imagine doing remake of Million Arthur Kings, or those IPs lasting for decades) and FF and DQ slowly faded as their fanbases grew up.

when will that happen.....

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744013

Here we get back to "What is a new IP?"

If we're talking about it in the traditional legal sense, the Intellectual Property would be things like the branding, the world, the characters, as opposed to the mechanics and gameplay constructs.

On that front, these are Final Fantasy branded games.

If we want to discuss it in a different lens - presumably gameplay constructs - I'm open to that suggestion, but at that point I'd want to bundle titles like Bravely Default in as Final Fantasy games and many of the Final Fantasy spin-offs as being new IPs.

As a quickly increasing digital games provider, it's not actually a huge issue for them financially. They released almost nothing meaningful at retail this year and made money. Mobile revenue and subscribers are providing them a very solid income base.

Beyond that, they have like 7 AAA retail IPs these days between the four from Eidos and three from Japan.

Oh right forgot about the terminology.

What I think of SE's output? I think SE is looking to be more invested in home consoles more than last gen, though this time they are concentrating on known IP's which is win win because fans want them and the risk is lower. We also are seeing SE going to arcades which I don't remember from last gen. Their smartphone games are also doing well. Out of all the Japanese publishers I think they are in the best position.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I read the whole thread while I was waiting for your response (which I should of done earlier), interesting discussion.

This is where I lose you because I don't think Final Fantasy is in a downward spiral currently; it was previously yes, but SE has found their footing in that regard since the re-launch of FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

As I mentioned earlier, one cannot expect a Final Fantasy mainline game to sell as it previously has back in the PS2 (21 million JP) & PS3 era (11 million JP) - the marketplace has changed vastly since then. Each mainline game X (almost 3 million), XIII (2 million+) have declined in Japan, in part due to the console install base (and critical reception).

We will most likely see the same thing happen with the PS4, where LTD will most likely be half of the PS3, and XV will suffer as a result (1.2 million is my guess).

I don't think the above should lead to the conclusion that Final Fantasy is on a downward slope, more that the marketplace has changed. New offerings came about such as mobile, handhelds, and PC to the user; thus limiting the appeal of owing a console (an investment in itself).

As such, SE catered to those needs with the likes of Record Keeper, and FF:XIV AR among others. What's the purpose of buying XV or other mainline entries if I'm already satisfied by those offerings on other platforms? Do we view it as a decline, or more as fragmentation of the consumer base?

But I think this is what you were trying to convey with your earlier posts if I'm not mistaken with the HD, Mobile segment presentations?
I agree to an extent in that the decline of the traditional market has made it basically impossible for Final Fantasy to hit its old heights, and I definitely think Square Enix has revamped their entire product line-up in the face of changing market conditions.

Where I feel Final Fantasy has declined most notably though is that it's failed to capitalize in any of the "winner's market" growth seen on consoles in the West. In an era where we've seen The Elder Scrolls goes from a 2 million unit selling an entry series with Morrowind into a 20+ million selling an entry series with Skyrim, Square Enix really hasn't experienced notable growth for Final Fantasy. We see a lot more 20+ million hits (CoD, Battlefield, Skyrim, GTA, Diablo) and 10+ million hits (Borderlands, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, Red Dead, Watch_Dogs), and even some games that are getting very close to the 10 million bar (Tomb Raider at 8.5 million, The Last of Us at 8+ million, NBA at 8+ million), yet Final Fantasy really hasn't responded to this polarization in a notable way.

I realize I'm mixing Japanese specific and worldwide sales discussion, which probably makes my point come across as muddled and confusing. I apologize for that.

It just irks me that we continue to ignore mobile, despite it growing, and the Japanese market being stronger now than ever.
Trust me, I would love nothing more than to discuss mobile more frequently in these threads since I feel it's about five times as interesting as the current state of dedicated devices.

However, usually the discussions don't go very far. I actually think Square Enix has had a tremendously successful year on mobile that turned them from borderline irrelevant to one of the biggest hit makers, and it's done so well as to make up for a comically bad retail release schedule, but it's pretty much slipped under the rug as far as the thread goes.

What I think of SE's output? I think SE is looking to be more invested in home consoles more than last gen, though this time they are concentrating on known IP's which is win win because fans want them and the risk is lower. We also are seeing SE going to arcades which I don't remember from last gen. Their smartphone games are also doing well. Out of all the Japanese publishers I think they are in the best position.
With the collapse of Capcom, nigh-full exit of Konami, and nigh-complete market change of Sega I'd agree with you. Koei Tecmo is largely a work for hire company.

Namco Bandai is probably their best competitor, but they don't really have a notable Western presence. The same is true for Level 5 who is just way smaller than them overall.

There is Nintendo, but as a first party they exist in a rather different way with different concerns.

Busaiku

Trust me, I would love nothing more than to discuss mobile more frequently in these threads since I feel it's about five times as interesting as the current state of dedicated devices.

However, usually the discussions don't go very far. I actually think Square Enix has had a tremendously successful year on mobile that turned them from borderline irrelevant to one of the biggest hit makers, and it's done so well as to make up for a comically bad retail release schedule, but it's pretty much slipped under the rug as far as the thread goes..

Well, even disregarding actual discussion of the platform, it's just bothersome to continue seeing the forced narrative of "Japan being done", when the market continues to grow.
I mean the same was true of last gen, cause people completely ignored DS and PSP, though these threads weren't as crazy, for obvious reason.

I guess the lack of hard numbers themselves, or even any real knowledge of the regional output, is what's leading to this line of thinking.

We lack data about the mobile market. While reverse engineering on third-party charts might be useful, it's still far away from having concrete data as we have for traditional devices. We get some data from financial reports, which are difficult to interpret sometimes, also because we also lack tools to interpret those data. Just look at PAL charts thread: boring and short. Why? Because of no data. Rankings are not funny to discuss.

Vena

However, usually the discussions don't go very far. I actually think Square Enix has had a tremendously successful year on mobile that turned them from borderline irrelevant to one of the biggest hit makers, and it's done so well as to make up for a comically bad retail release schedule, but it's pretty much slipped under the rug as far as the thread goes.

This thread is effectively just, what, ten (?) of us on any regular basis unless the PS4/WiiU releases a big game and the thread suddenly lights up. The 3DS keeping the dedicated market afloat isn't much of a point of discussion anymore and a large part of our traffic is "has X reclaimed the market yet". The problem for mobile, as I see it, is in part that we don't get very clear numbers (you and mpl provide most of the charts analysis to try and gauge numbers) to discuss, and in part that a lot of people don't care if its not a PS4/Vita/WiiU/3DS game.

With Nintendo entering the mobile market, the 3DS winding down, and the 4DS not yet materialized concretely, we have to really start looking at mobile as ever more important (and, I'd argue, a precursor to what we will eventually see in the west), and the ramifications that can have on the retail/dedicated market. Heck, if Nintendo handles the integration of mobile and handheld well in the future, we may see an incredible turn-around in the dedicated market (or total and utter collapse) to recapture that ever-growing market (its just growing elsewhere right now, as Busaiku mentions) but that's some ways off unless the DeNA -> 3DS integration takes the market by storm somehow.

I just don't know how this will pan-out for them, to be honest. They invest in the home consoles for the strength of the west but will their games actually do well in that market? I don't doubt that they'll sell in the millions but will that match the ever increasing budgets? Will Final Fantasy actually meet expectations despite possible fatigue/brand damage? Will DQXI do well enough to outweigh the potential opportunity cost of being elsewhere? Tomb Raider has a strong "western appeal" to it, so I think that will do fine.

I think Squeenix is in a good position because of the diversification that they've shown with the MMO/Mobile expansion, but I don't know if there's any guarantee or even "great" indication of their console/handheld front doing well.

MilesTeg

Banned
The reason we didn't see Final Fantasy experience growth last generation is because their product wasn't good. The XIII series was an embarrassment.

To be honest Square Enix hasn't made a truly great game since TWEWY on the DS. In my opinion anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, mobile is essentially a qualitative discussion since quantitative is very difficult to do accurately.

Overarching strategy, broad stroke success bands, following individual product trajectories in more general terms, analyzing what types of genres are and aren't working (and if that's changed), upcoming product slates, market research data, and of course financial reports are kind of more the sphere that discussion would exist.

It doesn't match up to a weekly thread especially well though, even if it overlaps, since it's very release, event, and report driven.

Beyond that, the biggest issue is also that almost no one reports about what the games actually are in English, so it's harder to analyze and individual title and look at what it's monetizing, how it plays, and what the in game updates and events are, which can be rather important when we're doing higher level qualitative analysis.

With a concerted effort it could probably be done to an acceptable level, but this is also a traditional gaming enthusiast forum, so there's a limit to how much interest people tend to have. Legend of Legacy was a pretty irrelevant release in the grand scheme of things, but it attracted a ton of attention because it was something that appealed to our userbase. Similarly we don't discuss how well FIFA has been doing in the US lately in NPD threads since no one tends to care.

The reason we didn't see Final Fantasy experience growth last generation is because their product wasn't good. The XIII series was an embarrassment.
As an aside, this would be a good example of qualitative analysis (though not especially elaborated on).

Final Fantasy failed to capitalize on the same kind of upswing Resident Evil 5 tapped into (co-op third person shooter in the heart of the co-op third person shooter craze) because it didn't match the emerging trends in the Western RPG market (and arguably the market as a whole) such as more action oriented gameplay, open worlds, dynamic systems, and in general more freedom throughout the game even if it came at the cost of a fairly significant polish. There also wasn't a DLC follow-up plan for people who wanted more content to help keep them engaged or any kind of online mode.

The modern story expectations were also of plotlines and characters that appealed more to the now older audiences dominating the Western market than the teenage/young adult audience that defined earlier generations, so it had a harder time on that front as well. Cultural mismatch can become more of an issue as people get older and graphics get more detailed.

Vena

Final Fantasy failed to capitalize on the same kind of upswing Resident Evil 5 tapped into (co-op third person shooter in the heart of the co-op third person shooter craze) because it didn't match the emerging trends in the Western RPG market (and arguably the market as a whole) such as more action oriented gameplay, open worlds, dynamic systems, and in general more freedom throughout the game even if it came at the cost of a fairly significant polish. There also wasn't a DLC follow-up plan for people who wanted more content to help keep them engaged or any kind of online mode.

Could we say that while FF failed in that regard for Squeenix, that they succeeded with the Tomb Raider reboot? Perhaps this would be a point of discussion in not that Squeenix wasn't capable of tapping that market well, but that Final Fantasy (perhaps as a genre or just a brand) wasn't conducive to the market.

jeremy1456

To be honest Square Enix hasn't made a truly great game since TWEWY on the DS. In my opinion anyway.

And the release of FFXV will show us just how much XIII has hurt the brand.

Vena

How was it lukewarm?

That was the impression I got from reading the NPD thread when the numbers came in for its western performance with Type-0 HD/Demo. Comparatively, it sold 60% of its shipment then fell off a cliff in these threads (from 1st to 21st in a single week, that means it went below 12k after opening at 90k).

That seems lukewarm to me.

Edit: Oh I see where the confusion is, I meant that Type-0, under the push of the demo, did not seem to meet expectations. Apologies.

Jigorath

Banned
That was the impression I got from reading the NPD thread when the numbers came in for its western performance. Comparatively, it sold 60% of its shipment then fell off a cliff in these threads.

That seems lukewarm to me.

Oh you're talking about Type-0 sales?

EDIT: saw your edit.

Vena

Oh you're talking about Type-0 sales?

EDIT: saw your edit.

Yup, apologies. I chose my wording poorly. In my head, I've effectively equated the performance of Type-0 HD with the "appeal of a new Final Fantasy". And the reception therein was not, seemingly, up to expectations given the MC numbers and, later, NPD numbers.

Of course, its not exactly clear cut what that means and I am making an assumption.

MilesTeg

Banned
As an aside, this would be a good example of qualitative analysis (though not especially elaborated on).

The modern story expectations were also of plotlines and characters that appealed more to the now older audiences dominating the Western market than the teenage/young adult audience that defined earlier generations, so it had a harder time on that front as well. Cultural mismatch can become more of an issue as people get older and graphics get more detailed.

The localization certainly didn't help matters. It was quite bad.

On the whole though, FFXIII failed to deliver what people expected from a FF game. The trends that were popular in the West at the time are largely things that should be expected from an FF game. A large world, some amount of freedom to go where you please. The battle system was strange; it wasn't bad, but it was also not familiar. I would say it didn't have much appeal. I don't think the music really fit well either.

I just think it has less to do with popular trends than Square Enix putting out a sub par game that obviously had major development issues. And as I said the localization was extremely bad.

Square Enix has lost a lot of talent over the years and I think it shows, has been showing for quite some time. My expectations for their games (especially home console) are extremely low and for good reason.

Scum

Here's hoping that NIntendo's involvement with DeNA & mobile gaming will yield better tracking results.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Could we say that while FF failed in that regard for Squeenix, that they succeeded with the Tomb Raider reboot? Perhaps this would be a point of discussion in not that Squeenix wasn't capable of tapping that market well, but that Final Fantasy (perhaps as a genre or just a brand) wasn't conducive to the market.
Well it's a development team and management issue.

Crystal Dynamics saw what to latch on to and do and where to spin it their own way and Eidos supported it heavily.

Final Fantasy XIII on the other hand spent most of its time tripping over its own development problems and cutting everything from content to concepts to get out the door while also being incredibly insular at how it looked (or more specifically didn't) at a changing market. It also had kind of whacky bananas marketing but I don't think that was a huge problem given the brand strength.

When FFXIV was rebooted, Yoshida spent a lot of time talking about how in 1.0 decisions were simply made in order to be different from FF11 but how he and his team were instead going to draw heavily from their experience playing popular MMOs and make the game based on what they liked about them, what they would want changed or added, user feedback, and the spirit of Final Fantasy. Lo and behold, 2.0 was vastly better and more successful.

[Wii] Dragon Quest X - 71pt
[WiiU] Dragon Quest X - 59pt

iC4kkpYLHu104.gif

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I agree to an extent in that the decline of the traditional market has made it basically impossible for Final Fantasy to hit its old heights, and I definitely think Square Enix has revamped their entire product line-up in the face of changing market conditions.

Where I feel Final Fantasy has declined most notably though is that it's failed to capitalize in any of the "winner's market" growth seen on consoles in the West. In an era where we've seen The Elder Scrolls goes from a 2 million unit selling an entry series with Morrowind into a 20+ million selling an entry series with Skyrim, Square Enix really hasn't experienced notable growth for Final Fantasy. We see a lot more 20+ million hits (CoD, Battlefield, Skyrim, GTA, Diablo) and 10+ million hits (Borderlands, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, Red Dead, Watch_Dogs), and even some games that are getting very close to the 10 million bar (Tomb Raider at 8.5 million, The Last of Us at 8+ million, NBA at 8+ million), yet Final Fantasy really hasn't responded to this polarization in a notable way.

True, I agree with your larger points, but those are western properties at its core (developed & catered to that audience); the same could not be said for Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest for that matter where Japan's critical and commercial success are its priority.

I think that's why Square Enix diversified the way it did with the Eidos acquisition as they saw the writing on the wall; they needed to be a global player to thrive in the gaming medium - FF, KH, DQ were not going to provide that leg-up; Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Deus Ex did.

It's so odd to speak about the marketplace currently, where a decade ago Japan was leading the charge, and Final Fantasy & Kingdom Hearts were some of the biggest properties in gaming; now the opposite could be said where the West is leading the industry with the likes of those mentioned above.

I realize I'm mixing Japanese specific and worldwide sales discussion, which probably makes my point come across as muddled and confusing. I apologize for that.

With the collapse of Capcom, nigh-full exit of Konami, and nigh-complete market change of Sega I'd agree with you. Koei Tecmo is largely a work for hire company.

Namco Bandai is probably their best competitor, but they don't really have a notable Western presence. The same is true for Level 5 who is just way smaller than them overall.

There is Nintendo, but as a first party they exist in a rather different way with different concerns.

To be fair, no Japanese company has been able to capitalize that market. Only Nintendo has 10m+ sellers worldwide. But I do think FF Record Keeper can be put in that category, at least in a comparable way, given how successful is.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2015 (Apr 13 - Apr 19)

01./00. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.04.16} (¥5.076) - 55.179 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Dying Light <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2015.04.16} (¥8.208) - 25.530 / NEW
03./00. [3DS] Future Card Buddy Fight: Yuujou no Jounetsu Fight! <TBL> (FuRyu) {2015.04.16} (¥5.378) - 16.630 / NEW
04./04. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 12.175 / 97.117 (+3%)
05./05. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥8.424) - 6.926 / 137.211 (-36%)
06./02. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.04.02} (¥7.690) - 6.542 / 143.154 (-58%)
07./08. [WIU] Mario Party 10 # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.03.12} (¥5.616) - 5.991 / 118.433 (-33%)
08./03. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.04.02} (¥8.716) - 5.798 / 129.581 (-60%)
09./06. [PS4] Bloodborne # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.26} (¥7.452) - 5.674 / 190.631 (-42%)
10./11. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968) - 5.659 / 2.586.851 (-22%)
11./07. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥6.664) - 5.532 / 177.145 (-39%)
12./15. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 5.483 / 2.598.884 (-9%)
13./09. [3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D |new 3DS| <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.02} (¥3.996) - 5.330 / 71.167 (-40%)
14./10. [3DS] Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥6.145) - 5.196 / 49.827 (-39%)
15./01. [PS4] Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin <RPG> (From Software) {2015.04.09} (¥5.962) - 5.134 / 25.628 (-75%)
16./16. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥8.208) - 4.960 / 88.090 (-17%)
17./00. [PS4] Saints Row IV: Re-Elected <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2015.04.16} (¥6.264) - 4.776 / NEW
18./13. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥7.344) - 4.543 / 80.779 (-35%)
19./19. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 4.542 / 961.504 (-8%)
20./12. [3DS] Theatrhythm Dragon Quest <ACT> (Square Enix) {2015.03.26} (¥6.264) - 4.079 / 104.044 (-43%)
21./22. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616)
22./20. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 <ADV> (Capcom) {2015.03.19} (¥5.389)
23./24. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.02.14} (¥5.076)
24./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden [2][Ultimate Hits] <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.16} (¥3.024)
25./29. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800)
26./17. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538)
27./23. [PS4] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.03.19} (¥7.884)
28./18. [PSV] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥7.171)
29./21. [PS4] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥8.424)
30./25. [PS4] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.03.19} (¥7.344)
31./33. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264)
32./14. [PS4] Earth Defense Force 2025.1: The Shadow of New Despair <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2015.04.02} (¥7.538)
33./26. [PS3] Sword Art Online: Lost Song <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥7.690)
34./37. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.776)
35./28. [PSV] Senran Kagura Estival Versus # <ACT> (Marvelous) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538)
36./31. [3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Ties to the Future <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥6.145)
37./27. [PS3] Yakuza 0 <ADV> (Sega) {2015.03.12} (¥8.845)
38./30. [PS3] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.03.19} (¥7.884)
39./35. [3DS] LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.03.05} (¥5.076)
40./36. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
41./43. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.19} (¥6.145)
42./00. [PS3] Saints Row IV: Ultra Full Version <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2015.04.16} (¥4.298)
43./41. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
44./42. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937)
45./40. [PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 <ADV> (Capcom) {2015.03.19} (¥5.389)
46./32. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.02.26} (¥7.344)
47./39. [3DS] Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars <PZL> (Nintendo) {2015.03.19} (¥3.024)
48./00. [XB1] Dying Light <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2015.04.16} (¥8.208)
49./34. [PS4] Senran Kagura Estival Versus # <ACT> (Marvelous) {2015.03.26} (¥8.618)
50./48. [PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Edition <Yakuza \ Yakuza 2> [PlayStation 3 the Best] <ADV> (Sega) {2014.12.11} (¥1.944)
00./00. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.09.27} (¥4.800) - * / 381.000

Top 50

3DS - 18
PS3 - 10
PS4 - 10
PSV - 8
WIU - 3
XB1 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    381.000 |    383.000 |    461.000 | 11.103.000 | 13.468.000 |

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| 3DS # |     21.824 |     26.841 |     19.943 |    704.755 |    767.689 |  18.543.200 |
|  PS4  |     15.419 |     17.885 |     14.396 |    438.476 |    534.169 |   1.409.143 |
| PSV # |     15.059 |     18.028 |     19.038 |    353.368 |    470.632 |   3.877.295 |
|  WIU  |      6.324 |      6.654 |      5.204 |    139.013 |    182.982 |   2.282.593 |
|  PS3  |      4.175 |      4.221 |      6.468 |    118.784 |    222.720 |  10.287.775 |
|  XB1  |        170 |        238 |            |      7.150 |            |      50.417 |
|  ALL  |     62.971 |     73.867 |     67.383 |  1.761.546 |  2.245.818 |  36.450.423 |
| PSVTV |        491 |        511 |      1.133 |     10.935 |     30.150 |     161.148 |
|  PSV  |     14.568 |     17.517 |     17.905 |    342.433 |    440.482 |   3.716.147 |
|n-3DSLL|     14.047 |     16.955 |            |    414.425 |            |   1.281.483 |
| n-3DS |      5.324 |      6.222 |            |    163.349 |            |     532.655 |
| 3DSLL |      1.309 |      1.986 |     14.023 |     65.732 |    533.589 |   6.898.355 |
|  3DS  |      1.144 |      1.678 |      5.920 |     61.249 |    234.100 |   9.830.707 |

Famitsu Sales: Week 16, 2015 (Apr 13 - Apr 19)

01./00. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.04.16} (¥5.076) - 58.965 / NEW <40-60%>
02./00. [PS4] Dying Light <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2015.04.16} (¥8.208) - 25.046 / NEW <80-100%>
03./00. [3DS] Future Card Buddy Fight: Yuujou no Jounetsu Fight! <TBL> (FuRyu) {2015.04.16} (¥5.378) - 13.193 / NEW <60-80%>
04./03. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 11.121 / 102.104 <80-100%> (-17%)
05./04. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥8.424) - 7.990 / 126.121 <80-100%> (-40%)
06./11. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968) - 7.008 / 2.566.741 <80-100%> (-14%)
07./08. [WIU] Mario Party 10 # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.03.12} (¥5.616) - 6.586 / 124.526 <60-80%> (-30%)
08./00. [PS4] Saints Row IV: Re-Elected <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2015.04.16} (¥6.264) - 6.581 / NEW <20-40%>
09./02. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.04.02} (¥8.716) - 6.531 / 126.346 <80-100%> (-56%)
10./07. [PS4] Bloodborne # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.26} (¥7.452) - 5.703 / 189.159 <80-100%> (-41%)
11./15. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥8.208) - 5.543 / 93.196 <80-100%> (-14%)
12./01. [PS4] Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin <RPG> (From Software) {2015.04.09} (¥5.962) - 5.511 / 21.558 <60-80%> (-66%)
13./05. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.04.02} (¥7.690) - 5.443 / 117.031 <80-100%> (-58%)
14./06. [3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D |new 3DS| <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.02} (¥3.996) - 5.420 / 60.823 <60-80%> (-53%)
15./12. [3DS] Theatrhythm Dragon Quest <ACT> (Square Enix) {2015.03.26} (¥6.264) - 5.246 / 86.171 <60-80%> (-29%)
16./10. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥6.664) - 5.144 / 162.805 <80-100%> (-39%)
17./14. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥7.344) - 4.359 / 69.218 <80-100%> (-36%)
18./09. [3DS] Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥6.145) - 4.137 / 50.087 <80-100%> (-54%)
19./24. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616) - 4.114 / 2.303.267 <80-100%> (-11%)
20./23. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 3.988 / 2.782.899 <80-100%> (-15%)
21./16. [PS4] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.03.19} (¥7.344) - 3.898 / 118.839 <60-80%> (-28%)
22./00. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 3.865 / 960.237 <80-100%> (+56%)
23./13. [PS4] Earth Defense Force 2025.1: The Shadow of New Despair <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2015.04.02} (¥7.538) - 3.627 / 32.587 <60-80%> (-50%)
24./17. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 <ADV> (Capcom) {2015.03.19} (¥5.389) - 3.287 / 107.691 <80-100%> (-36%)
25./22. [PS3] Yakuza 0 <ADV> (Sega) {2015.03.12} (¥8.845) - 3.260 / 228.755 <80-100%> (-31%)
26./19. [PS4] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.03.19} (¥7.884) - 3.152 / 95.769 <80-100%> (-36%)
27./25. [PSV] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥7.171) - 3.111 / 93.973 <80-100%> (-30%)
28./18. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538) - 2.928 / 57.823 <60-80%> (-41%)
29./21. [PS3] Sword Art Online: Lost Song <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥7.690) - 2.848 / 62.213 <80-100%> (-41%)
30./20. [PS4] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥8.424) - 2.751 / 55.936 <80-100%> (-43%)

Top 30

3DS - 8
PS4 - 8
PS3 - 6
PSV - 6
WIU - 2

HARDWARE
Code:
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
| 3DS # |     20.774 |     23.537 |     22.347 |    712.717 |    769.462 |  18.559.773 |
|  PS4  |     14.324 |     16.831 |     13.034 |    409.496 |    532.012 |   1.335.066 |
| PSV # |     13.799 |     16.056 |     18.226 |    353.318 |    463.719 |   3.776.393 |
|  WIU  |      5.008 |      5.208 |      5.588 |    143.003 |    194.677 |   2.266.286 |
|  PS3  |      3.958 |      4.466 |      7.569 |    105.976 |    226.107 |  10.124.510 |
|  XB1  |        513 |        625 |            |      7.511 |            |      53.469 |
|  ALL  |     58.376 |     66.723 |     68.819 |  1.732.021 |  2.252.494 |  36.115.497 |

D a t a b a s e
Japanese Sales database <-download it here

Previous Threads
2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2015 (Apr 06 - Apr 12)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases

{2015.04.29}

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) (¥4.320)

[WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X # <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥8.316)
[WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U Xenoblade Chronicles X Set) <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥37.800)

{2015.04.30}

[3DS] Boku wa Koukuu Kanseikan: Airport Hero 3D - Haneda All Stars <PZL> (Sonic Powered) (¥6.480)
[3DS] Nashi-jiru Action! Funassyi no Yukai na Ohanassyi <ACT> (Success) (¥5.184)

[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥4.104)

[WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥4.104)

[PSV] New Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel # <RPG> (5pb.) (¥6.264)
[PSV] New Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel (Limited Edition) <RPG> (5pb.) (¥8.424)
[PSV] Saenai Kanojo no Sodatekata: Blessing Flowers # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.344)
[PSV] Saenai Kanojo no Sodatekata: Blessing Flowers (Limited Edition) <ADV> (5pb.) (¥9.504)
[PSV] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers # <ADV> (Aqua Plus) (¥5.184)
[PSV] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers (Premium Edition) <ADV> (Aqua Plus) (¥7.992)
[PSV] Hanayaka Kana, Ware ga Ichizoku: Modern Nostalgie <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou <ADV> (Kogado Studio) (¥6.264)

HGH

Banned
Most of the PS4 releases seem to have happened on the 23rd, one day after sales data had just come out. I'm pretty sure there's no actually relevant releases for a week or two now.

Dull week all around. As for the PS4, I don't think sales will go up again until the release of the FFXIV: Heavensward limited edition PS4's.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
new releases

{2015.04.29}

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) (¥4.320)

[WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X # <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥8.316)
[WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U Xenoblade Chronicles X Set) <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥37.800)

{2015.04.30}

[3DS] Boku wa Koukuu Kanseikan: Airport Hero 3D - Haneda All Stars <PZL> (Sonic Powered) (¥6.480)
[3DS] Nashi-jiru Action! Funassyi no Yukai na Ohanassyi <ACT> (Success) (¥5.184)

[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥4.104)

[WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥4.104)

[PSV] New Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel # <RPG> (5pb.) (¥6.264)
[PSV] New Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel (Limited Edition) <RPG> (5pb.) (¥8.424)
[PSV] Saenai Kanojo no Sodatekata: Blessing Flowers # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.344)
[PSV] Saenai Kanojo no Sodatekata: Blessing Flowers (Limited Edition) <ADV> (5pb.) (¥9.504)
[PSV] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers # <ADV> (Aqua Plus) (¥5.184)
[PSV] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers (Premium Edition) <ADV> (Aqua Plus) (¥7.992)
[PSV] Hanayaka Kana, Ware ga Ichizoku: Modern Nostalgie <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou <ADV> (Kogado Studio) (¥6.264)

I guess next week might be the highest we see the Wii U for a while... barring Splatoon moving a lot of hardware.

ivysaur12

Banned
I guess next week might be the highest we see the Wii U for a while... barring Splatoon moving a lot of hardware.

Yup. Should be a decent week for Nintendo with DQX, Puzzles & Dragons, and to a lesser extent, XenoX.

It'd be nice to have Xeno be released so we can finally see how mediocrely it's gonna do :-(

I just don't know how this will pan-out for them, to be honest. They invest in the home consoles for the strength of the west but will their games actually do well in that market? I don't doubt that they'll sell in the millions but will that match the ever increasing budgets? Will Final Fantasy actually meet expectations despite possible fatigue/brand damage? Will DQXI do well enough to outweigh the potential opportunity cost of being elsewhere? Tomb Raider has a strong "western appeal" to it, so I think that will do fine.

I think Squeenix is in a good position because of the diversification that they've shown with the MMO/Mobile expansion, but I don't know if there's any guarantee or even "great" indication of their console/handheld front doing well.

I think it the strategy will do well for SE. The quicker they move to next gen the better and might as well start building the fan base with some HD remasters. The West is more likely to be a growth area for their IP's than Japan.

I think Square Enix made a mistake in their handling of Final Fantasy XII, not XIII. While it had problems, many of which had to do with a limited budget, production issues, and the need to rush it out for the Playstation 2, I think XII had a much greater potential to appeal to the Western market regarding where RPGs were headed. It had a semi-open world, a much more adult oriented political plot(originally), a major focus on optional content and exploration, hunting-style grinding(similar to Skyrim), and a setting which was probably the least anime of any Final Fantasy game. In fact it was so distant from the anime basis of the genre, it could almost have been billed as the Elder Scrolls Elsewyr(or wherever the desert province is in Tameriel)

Now it had real problems, but many of them were related to time and system choice. Had it been delayed for two years and released for the 360/PS3, it would have arrived during the Oblivion-Fallout/Skyrim drought when open world RPG fans had to deal with b-tier level stuff like Two Worlds 1/2, Divinity 2, and non-fantasy based Fallout. A Final Fantasy XII with a seamless world as originally intended, ZJS improvements from the get-go, and perhaps some of the other features(air-ship battles, randomized loot quests) that were eliminated would have had the real potential to take off.

As it was Final Fantasy XII fell into the gap between generations. It arrived late in the Playstation 2's life, and the version the West got was in many ways a crippled beta at the time most of its potential growth demographic had moved on or was about to.

XIII was a linear game with an anime-aesthetics. It was Final Fantasy X a decade too late. XII was three years ahead of its time by contrast.

Road

PREDICTION LEAGUE MAY 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Apr 27 to May 31):
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) -
[WIU] Xenoblade X (33 days) -
[WII+WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 3 (32 days) -
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) -
[PS4+XBO] The Witcher 3 (11 days) -
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project Mirai Deluxe (4 days) -
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: April 29 2015 09:00 am (EST)
t1430355600z1.png

Attention:
  • Remember for some games it's not only the 1st week.
  • Multiplatform games are the combined available sales of each platform

Rules:
  • Do not edit your post after the deadline. If you do, you'll be disqualified.
  • The official monthly hardware sales will be the sum of weekly numbers for all versions of the system available from Famitsu.
  • The official monthly software sales will be the latest total or the sum of the weekly numbers if the title is release before the period available from the Famitsu Top 30.
  • The official monthly sales for multi-platform releases will be the combined available sales of each platform shown in the title entry.
  • The official monthly sales for games with multiple versions will be the combined available sales of each version shown in the title entry.
  • Any game missing in the Famitsu top 30 will be taken out of the predictions.

By next year, there will only be one game worth prediction per semester.

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE MAY 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Apr 27 to May 31):

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 505.000
[WIU] Xenoblade X (33 days) - 135.000
[WII+WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 3 (32 days) - 155.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 55.000
[PS4+XBO] The Witcher 3 (11 days) - 40.000
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project Mirai Deluxe (4 days) - 75.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 45.000

Top Bottom