• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2015 (Jun 08 - Jun 14)

Penguin

So the amount of "Japanese PS4 development" threads recently got me thinking, and with one exception, I'm not sure there's actually that many major Japanese publishers that seem to mind the idea of the PS4 failing.

They're showing up on the platform, but it's with a pretty reserved effort - often of Western focused games - and it's largely stuff that if the PS4 failed, the companies would be fine.

Few seem to be making the kind of push that suggests they really want to turn the system around.

Toward that end, here's the upcoming games that each are making. Feel free to point out anything notable I'm missing. I listed them by publisher in Japan and only things that have been presented as actual games as opposed to stuff like "Mystery Level 5 Title". Finally, I've excluded Western developed games by Japanese publishers since those generally don't sell locally (though I realize this is changing).

Sony:
-The Last Guardian
-The Tomorrow Children (downloadable)

Bandai Namco:
-Tekken 7
-Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
-Tales of Berseria (also on PS3, and there's a late port of Zestiria)
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven (also on PS3)
-Godzilla (also on PS3)
-Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul (also on PS3)
-Summer Lesson (VR Thingy)

Sega:
-Persona 5 (also on PS3)

From Software:
-Dark Souls 3

Capcom:
-Street Fighter V
-Deep Down (f2p)
-Dragon's Dogma Online (also on PS3, f2p)
-Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster (also on PS3)

Konami:
-Metal Gear Solid V (also on PS3)
-Pro Evolution Soccer (also on PS3)

Koei Tecmo:
-Yoru no Nai Kuni (also on PS3/Vita)
-Cross-gen Musou Games
-I think there were some cross-gen Romance of the Three Kingdoms games

Square Enix:
-Final Fantasy XV
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-Dissidia: Final Fantasy
-Final Fantasy VII Remake
-Nier 2
-World of Final Fantasy (also on Vita)
-Star Ocean V (also on PS3)
-Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (also on PS3/Vita)
-Final Fantasy XIV Expansions (also on PS3)

Maybe things will look notably different at the end of September, but for now this is pretty sparse.

Also wonder how this list looks if you mark all the games Sony is helping with in some fashion

So, Bandai Namco is really hoping God Eater will take off on PS4: a remake of the first entry is being released this Fall in Japan on PS4 and PSV.

Takao

Banned
So, Bandai Namco is really hoping God Eater will take off on PS4: a remake of the first entry is being released this Fall in Japan on PS4 and PSV.

I wouldn't say that. I think Resurrection is on PS4 because it'll run on tech that has already been ported to the platform.

Fisico

What was the ration of PSV/PS4 sales for Rage Burst already ?
Sure Resurection should improve that, but the vast majority of sales will remain on PSV.

I wouldn't say that. I think Resurrection is on PS4 because it'll run on tech that has already been ported to the platform.

Well, Bandai Namco should desperately find a new home for the God Eater franchise, since PSV won't likely see a successor. The problem is, God Eater 2: Rage Burst bombed on PS4, and it won't likely have any relevant success in the West.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's report

- Rhythm Heaven The Best+ still with strong sales. And expected to continue to sell great over time.
- Popolocrois sold what it was expected. It was popular among old fans.
- Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition stood out too.

For next week

- Fire Emblem Fates is expected to become the best seller entry of the series.
- Pre-orders are concentrate on White Kingdom version since is aimed to beginners. After beating this edition, it's expected that they'll buy the other one by DLC.
- Other big releases for the week are Persona 4: Dancing all night,
- and FFXIV Heavensward, PS4 > PS3 is expected
- Of course Rhythm Heaven will keep selling well.

L~A

Tsutaya's report

- Rhythm Heaven The Best+ still with strong sales. And expected to continue to sell great over time.

For next week

- Pre-orders are concentrate on White Kingdom version since is aimed to beginners. After beating this edition, it's expected that they'll buy the other one by DLC.

Is that supposed to be good or bad? I don't think we have any idea of the shipment yet...

Anyway, good news for Rhythm Heaven and FEF.

I don't know what to expect of Resurrection. I don't think it's going to sell anywhere close to GE2 / RB.

Not sure what they're going for with it really other than re-using assets. I expected it to be a 3DS title when the name was first revealed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, Bandai Namco should desperately find a new home for the God Eater franchise, since PSV won't likely see a successor. The problem is, God Eater 2: Rage Burst bombed on PS4, and it won't likely have any relevant success in the West.

Well, the NX isn't out yet, so I'm not sure where else you were expecting them to put it.

Tsutaya's report

For next week

so can Famitsu track that though? lol

L~A

Unfortunately, the only way we're getting any data on the FEF DLC is if Nintendo tells us.

I don't think there's any DL cards for those, which is the only way Famitsu could have any numbers (I don't remember them ever give sales for DLC stuff, just retail game on PSN/eShop).

Oregano

Well, the NX isn't out yet, so I'm not sure where else you were expecting them to put it.

I honestly think(and KT with Toukiden) they'll try to transition it to PS4(/Steam). I think they are going to try phasing the Vita releases out as they did with PSP.

I don't know what to expect of Resurrection. I don't think it's going to sell anywhere close to GE2 / RB.

Not sure what they're going for with it really other than re-using assets. I expected it to be a 3DS title when the name was first revealed.
Isn't the God Eater anime airing soon?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I honestly think(and KT with Toukiden) they'll try to transition it to PS4(/Steam). I think they are going to try phasing the Vita releases out as they did with PSP.

It's a hunting game: they rely heavily on local multiplayer. Releasing them just on a home console means killing a huge part of their appeal.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In case it wasn't incredibly obvious, Square Enix is in fact hoping to revive PS4 sales (and seems to be going that one alone at this rate):

IGN said:
[Nomura] also discussed the game's timed exclusivity for PlayStation 4, adding, "You’ll be able to play it first on PlayStation 4, that’s for certain. We’re not thinking beyond that yet, so after that is undecided. Since we’re bringing out PlayStation 4 title after PlayStation 4 title, it’d be great if we can give the hardware and industry a boost."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...ont page)&utm_content=3&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Wiggy

In case it wasn't incredibly obvious, Square Enix is in fact hoping to revive PS4 sales (and seems to be going that one alone at this rate):

They've been vocal about that for a while now I think.

Edit: Yeah, there was already this from April.

IGN said:
Speaking to Famitsu (via Gematsu), Hashimoto explained that Square wants "to help spread PS4 even more," and the recent announcement of a sequel to Dragon Quest Heroes is just one step in bringing that goal to fruition.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/04/17/square-enix-more-unannounced-ps4-titles-coming-in-2015

duckroll

There's something funny about seeing Nomura saying that, when he was previously saying the same things about Versus XIII on PS3. Maybe this time he'll actually be able to make a game? :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It's a hunting game: they rely heavily on local multiplayer. Releasing them just on a home console means killing a huge part of their appeal.

Honestly I think a lot of the separation you see between Nintendo platforms and Sony platforms will evaporate as we transition (and as we drop the s on platforms for both).

Right now there's just a really large fundamental architecture difference between the two, but when we're talking about standard PC parts versus standard mobile parts, that's a pretty similar base to work with hardware feature-set wise even if they have different first party APIs.

Also, given the quick uptake on Unreal and Unity in Japan, we're looking at many studios having technology platforms that will likely support Mobile/PS4/NX all at once, including PC/XB1 for any games that want them for Western releases.

There's something funny about seeing Nomura saying that, when he was previously saying the same things about Versus XIII on PS3. Maybe this time he'll actually be able to make a game? :p
Well it's likely outsourced so there's a chance this time!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Some anticipation of Famitsu's Top 30 (retail + digital) {2015.4.20 - 2015.5.24}

Xenoblade Chronicles X - 23,000
BuriBuri 2 (?!?...maybe Bravely Second?) - 14,500
The Witcher 3 - 14.4% of total sales is digital

The rest is not clear enough on Hokanko to try to understand it.

ZhugeEX

Banned

No.....

They wont phase out a handheld version in favour of a console/pc version.

I don't know if anyone remembers a while back, Compile Heart provided a pre-order page for "Makai Shin Trillion" detailing reward tiers based on numbers of pre-orders, but also used it to demonstrate profitability of the game.

Something reminded me of it today, so I looked it up again:

http://www.compileheart.com/trillion/campaign/

Look like it's about to teeter from rank B into rank A, which according to the descriptions above the ranks, indicates moving from minor deficit to minor profitability.

Of course, I can't vouch for them having adjusted the figures for this based on the delay the game received from its original May 21st release.

I still find it somewhat interesting because at least it gives us an insight into level of sales needed for these types of games to be profitable. And for this particular title, it seems it's going to get there from pre-orders alone.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I'm sure, but they're also not exactly the kind of publishers that can make that happen the same way the larger publishers could if they mostly went in.

Agreed.

Sorry I was on my phone so didn't expand on my point. What I wanted to say is that they want PS4 to succeed but are being cautious by opting for multiplatform solutions. All these medium sized developers (and even larger) are following each other with the current multiplatform strategy so that they're still selling in to the large userbase on PS3/PSV in case the PS4 version fails to perform to standard.

So far we've seen PS4 exclusive titles fail to break records whilst PS3/PS4 titles have seen the PS3 version sell far better.

I was basically agreeing with your whole Square Enix are trying to expand to PS4 only titles on their own. It's very much true. No other publisher has taken the jump to PS4/Next Gen only.

Oregano

Just because it's bad idea doesn't mean they won't do it.

Honestly I think a lot of the separation you see between Nintendo platforms and Sony platforms will evaporate as we transition (and as we drop the s on platforms for both).

Right now there's just a really large fundamental architecture difference between the two, but when we're talking about standard PC parts versus standard mobile parts, that's a pretty similar base to work with hardware feature-set wise even if they have different first party APIs.

Also, given the quick uptake on Unreal and Unity in Japan, we're looking at many studios having technology platforms that will likely support Mobile/PS4/NX all at once, including PC/XB1 for any games that want them for Western releases.

I'm not entirely convinced because I don't see it as a primarily technological difference. I think publishers still see the two sets of platforms has having entirely different tastes(whether true or not), hence publishers chibifying everything on 3DS.

We're also at a time when Sony is very heavily incentivising developers to stay exclusive to their family of systems.

No.....

They wont phase out a handheld version in favour of a console/pc version.

Well Vita is going to be naturally phased out as it gets older anyway and PS4(and PC now for Toukiden) is the only place they're establishing any kind of future for the franchise.

ivysaur12

Banned
Some anticipation of Famitsu's Top 30 (retail + digital) {2015.4.20 - 2015.5.24}

When are these usually released?

Xbro

For The Witcher I'm getting 11,335 digital sales.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Well Vita is going to be naturally phased out as it gets older anyway and PS4(and PC now for Toukiden) is the only place they're establishing any kind of future for the franchise.

It would just naturally move to another handheld platform as its flagship.

Apologies if this is old news, just stumbled across it before (article is new, not sure the news is):

http://jin115.com/archives/52086257.html

Interview with GungHo CEO - Puzzles & Mario didn't sell as much as they expected, but Mario games tend to have legs. Said they didn't properly get across the appeal to customers.

(from what I picked up from a rough Google Translation)

Apologies if this is old news, just stumbled across it before (article is new, not sure the news is):

http://jin115.com/archives/52086257.html

Interview with GungHo CEO - Puzzles & Mario didn't sell as much as they expected, but Mario games tend to have legs. Said they didn't properly get across the appeal to customers.

(from what I picked up from a rough Google Translation)
I dunno, my impression is that people got burned by PADZ being kinda meh. Similar situation with the Bravely series

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not entirely convinced because I don't see it as a primarily technological difference. I think publishers still see the two sets of platforms has having entirely different tastes(whether true or not), hence publishers chibifying everything on 3DS.

We're also at a time when Sony is very heavily incentivising developers to stay exclusive to their family of systems.
On the one hand I agree with you that publishers see the demographics as very different. On the other hand, I think that becomes less true in a generation shift when everything is set back to zero.

I think there are certainly a set of games that will just go to PS4 and hope for the best, but given how they've sold on consoles, I'm not convinced hunting action games are one of them barring a huge overperformance by something like Frontier 2 or one of the games having major success (relative to expectations) in the West on consoles.

Agreed.

Sorry I was on my phone so didn't expand on my point. What I wanted to say is that they want PS4 to succeed but are being cautious by opting for multiplatform solutions. All these medium sized developers (and even larger) are following each other with the current multiplatform strategy so that they're still selling in to the large userbase on PS3/PSV in case the PS4 version fails to perform to standard.

So far we've seen PS4 exclusive titles fail to break records whilst PS3/PS4 titles have seen the PS3 version sell far better.

I was basically agreeing with your whole Square Enix are trying to expand to PS4 only titles on their own. It's very much true. No other publisher has taken the jump to PS4/Next Gen only.
That has certainly stuck out to me. The support just isn't there on the other fronts to force the issue.

They're hoping to do it gradually, but the question is how much they can succeed by doing so.

HGH

Banned
I don't know if anyone remembers a while back, Compile Heart provided a pre-order page for "Makai Shin Trillion" detailing reward tiers based on numbers of pre-orders, but also used it to demonstrate profitability of the game.

Something reminded me of it today, so I looked it up again:

http://www.compileheart.com/trillion/campaign/

Look like it's about to teeter from rank B into rank A, which according to the descriptions above the ranks, indicates moving from minor deficit to minor profitability.

Of course, I can't vouch for them having adjusted the figures for this based on the delay the game received from its original May 21st release.

I still find it somewhat interesting because at least it gives us an insight into level of sales needed for these types of games to be profitable. And for this particular title, it seems it's going to get there from pre-orders alone.
I was actually waiting to post about this myself, since the promotion ends on the 30th of June. It's been at mid-B rank for a month or so now so this sudden push is actually kinda surprising. It probably coincided with more info and trailers becoming available.

While I'm certain the page is tongue in cheek, it'd still be pretty interesting if it reached A rank and then on July 23rd we see its sales numbers are like, 15K or something like that. You're right in that it'll give an idea on just how tight at budgeting these guys are. However I think this is all just a big joke and not some reliable way to gauge anything.

Also given that the whole preorder campaign promotion was extended (used to be that it ended in mid April or so), I'd say they adjusted the figures accordingly.

Oregano

It would just naturally move to another handheld platform as its flagship.

Vita probably isn't getting a successor and I'm not convinced they'll be willing to make the switch to the Nintendo system. Especially when in God Eater's case they are doubling down on the PSV/PS4 combo.

On the one hand I agree with you that publishers see the demographics as very different. On the other hand, I think that becomes less true in a generation shift when everything is set back to zero.

I think there are certainly a set of games that will just go to PS4 and hope for the best, but given how they've sold on consoles, I'm not convinced hunting action games are one of them barring a huge overperformance by something like Frontier 2 or one of the games having major success (relative to expectations) in the West on consoles.

The bolded is definitely true but my current feeling is that they are actively trying to establish the PS4 as the base and that the low sales might be seen as growing pains.

It also depends when God Eater 3 and Toukiden 2 are coming though. I could easily see them releasing on Vita even after the 3DS' successor has launched.

I was actually waiting to post about this myself, since the promotion ends on the 30th of June. It's been at mid-B rank for a month or so now so this sudden push is actually kinda surprising. It probably coincided with more info and trailers becoming available.

While I'm certain the page is tongue in cheek, it'd still be pretty interesting if it reached A rank and then on July 23rd we see its sales numbers are like, 15K or something like that. You're right in that it'll give an idea on just how tight at budgeting these guys are. However I think this is all just a big joke and not some reliable way to gauge anything.

Also given that the whole preorder campaign promotion was extended (used to be that it ended in mid April or so), I'd say they adjusted the figures accordingly.

Heh, sorry for posting this too early then, didn't even realise this ended next week (assumed it was the week before the game releases).

I'd still be interested in seeing an update in a week's time to check where it ended up :p

XBX sold quite well on the eShop, around 20% of the total. BS also was ok.

Eolz

Vita probably isn't getting a successor and I'm not convinced they'll be willing to make the switch to the Nintendo system. Especially when in God Eater's case they are doubling down on the PSV/PS4 combo.

No, but some publishers are already trying to prepare for a nintendo-only future, like Koei Tecmo and Atelier, Warriors, etc.
Obviously some other publishers would prefer ps4/pc, but this won't be enough to satisfy the japanese market, and mobile isn't yet a choice for some of their franchises.

I agree that some games will continue to be released on Vita for a good while though.

ZhugeEX

Banned
No, but some publishers are already trying to prepare for a nintendo-only future, like Koei Tecmo and Atelier, Warriors, etc.

Hahahahhaa.... ok..... yeh ok..... :p

(I don't see Hyrule Warriors and other smaller titles as a sign that Koei Tecmo are preparing for Nintendo only, Koei has always been big on PlayStation an the collabs between Nintendo have been there between them and Koei for a long time and the games we see now is just an extension of that relationship).

ivysaur12

Banned
XBX sold quite well on the eShop, around 20% of the total. BS also was ok.

Using the Dengeki numbers for XBX and Famitsu for Witcher (since XBX dropped off the Famitsu top 30), this would put XBX at about ~132,500 and Witcher at about ~119,500? Is that math right? Or totally off base?

Vena

Obviously some other publishers would prefer ps4/pc, but this won't be enough to satisfy the japanese market, and mobile isn't yet a choice for some of their franchises.

I agree that some games will continue to be released on Vita for a good while though.

You can't really prepare for a Nintendo-only future (in handhelds) over a generational gap. The old (18+ mil) audience may simply not want to pick up your hardware at all.

... Though I suspect that Nintendo will have a lot of big software lined up and ready for at or near launch of their next system. But that is a different matter.

The bolded is definitely true but my current feeling is that they are actively trying to establish the PS4 as the base and that the low sales might be seen as growing pains.

Growing pains of this magnitude are unsustainable with HD/8th gen budgets. SE has the coffers to actually push the initiative but this is also why so many others are so much more tepid, are pursuing mobile, or are sticking to the 3DS. (And SE hasn't thrown caution to the wind, they are still hedging their bets with DQ re-releases elsewhere, spin-offs on all conceivable platforms, and mobile excursions. If the PS4 fails to catch on, they will have other sources of survival.) There's a lot of franchises that have released on the PS3/PS4/Vita with the PS4's sales being almost laughable compared to others, these franchises simply don't have the weight of force for the transition and they can't take the jump. NIS tried to be forward thinking/moving with the next gen... and then got lost in the woods to grandma's house.

There's also just no real reason for confidence from the consumer's point of view unless they very specifically have tastes aligned with the West. You look at Niro's list and we're looking at games that could be a third to a half a decade away. Its sparse pickings, and you're better off picking up a Vita or a 3DS than you are waiting on Godot to arrive with your PS4 software.

Now, no doubt, more and more people will upgrade but it will be a very slow, arduous process of transition from PS3 to PS4 growth and even then the size won't be "exceptional" unless some enormous changes of fortune sweep in on the winds. (Perhaps heralded in by the Valkyries of Valhalla as they come for the body of the fallen/old 3DS to the heavens for it may be the last hero (ie. success) of the consoles.)

Depending on what Nintendo does or doesn't do, you could also shatter any forward momentum with enough money getting thrown around with the launch of the NX. I have a suspicion that Nintendo is going to put a lot of weight on the handheld NX in Japan and attempt to corner as many "big" franchises as they can in whatever way they can (especially the social/community franchises that have no place on the console front). Its their last bastion at home, and they need it to survive and can't afford to rest on their laurels any more.

Hahahahhaa.... ok..... yeh ok..... :p

(I don't see Hyrule Warriors and other smaller titles as a sign that Koei Tecmo are preparing for Nintendo only, Koei has always been big on PlayStation an the collabs between Nintendo have been there between them and Koei for a long time and the games we see now is just an extension of that relationship).

If anything, Koei may well be more eager following the success of Hyrule Warriors to take on bigger/riskier projects for Nintendo under their IP. I'd be amazed if we don't see something to that end from multiple external developers come the launch of the NX in Japan.

Nintendo's IP will attract sales even for "unknown games" to the fanbase like Hyrule shows. They need to use that leverage because its not something that any one else can really provide, and it helps build developer reputation/acceptance amongst the user base.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It also depends when God Eater 3 and Toukiden 2 are coming though. I could easily see them releasing on Vita even after the 3DS' successor has launched.

If there's one thing Japanese publishers are excellent at, it's showing up as late as possible to a new system.

Xbro

Using the Dengeki numbers for XBX and Famitsu for Witcher (since XBX dropped off the Famitsu top 30), this would put XBX at about ~132,500 and 108.145 at about ~119,500? Is that math right? Or totally off base?

Looks about right. But remember the digital isn't quite up to date.

ZhugeEX

Banned
If anything, Koei may well be more eager following the success of Hyrule Warriors to take on bigger/riskier projects for Nintendo under their IP. I'd be amazed if we don't see something to that end from multiple external developers come the launch of the NX in Japan.

Nintendo's IP will attract sales even for "unknown games" to the fanbase like Hyrule shows. They need to use that leverage because its not something that any one else can really provide, and it helps build developer reputation/acceptance amongst the user base.

But they did that at the launch of the Wii U by creating unique ports, they did it with the Nintendo Wii as well even with new titles. Like I said, Koei have always had a good relationship with Nintendo and continue to port games or work on unique projects with them such as FATAL FRAME, HYRULE WARRIORS, SAMURAI WARRIORS CHRONICLES & POKEMON CONQUEST etc....

That doesn't mean they're preparing for a Nintendo only future.

Xbro

So...Fire Emblem Musou?

Vena

But they did that at the launch of the Wii U by creating unique ports, they did it with the Nintendo Wii as well even with new titles. Like I said, Koei have always had a good relationship with Nintendo and continue to port games or work on unique projects with them such as FATAL FRAME, HYRULE WARRIORS, SAMURAI WARRIORS CHRONICLES & POKEMON CONQUEST etc....

I didn't say they were. If anything, I said the exact opposite.

My point was more that we may see them take bigger risks and developments than "unique ports", which are still ports at the end of the day. Fatal Frame is a good franchise but it and its development are not what I think would be categorized as risks or big deals. (Also, I thought Nintendo paid for the FFV development, or am I mistaken?) Pokemon Conquest and Hyrule Warriors are actually very recent (the latter more-so than the former) examples of KT finding successes with Nintendo's IPs.

So rather than "ports" we may actually see parallel releases along with IP-tied releases across Nintendo systems and Sony systems.

So...Fire Emblem Musou?

Its possible given the growths the franchise has seen.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I agree
and the nintendo only thing is up in the air in general, imho
if there will be no vita successor, that would be even dangerous for nintendo, because would mean serious issues for the portable segment. less project for smaller audience, more mobile games for Japan and for consoles for the west.
so yeah, there could be a bigger % of nintendo dedicated games, but even a smaller number than today at the end

that said, I hope they will follow HW projects on wiiu, 3ds and NX. I loved HW :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In general I'm expecting a ramp down in total title count between 3DS -> NX and PS3 -> PS4 due to the decreasing size of the market and increase in the amount of resources required to make games.

I'm also expecting that there will be more titles that show up on both as the increased investment calls for more platforms both for domestic and international reasons.

Most Japanese games don't push technical boundaries very hard which is why we're sitting and looking at a lot of Vita/PS4 games as it is. Something more in the ballpark just enables that even more.

We saw a lot of Japanese games end up on 360 last gen and end up on PC now because they find these extra sales worthwhile or even notably important, not to mention the amount of Sony-jigsaw-puzzle releases we see as is.

Top Bottom