• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2015 (Jun 22 - Jun 28)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I dont really get the DQH/Hyrule Warriors discussion but if anything it shows us that J Publishers will port stuff to every viable system if they can make it somehow run on the hardware....sure the console/PS4 version might be the only one with the latest shiny effects, 60fps or full HD but thats not the point.

They had no issues to ignore the PC market for decades and now we have Dark Soul, Tales of, Final Fantasy and Co. showing up on Steam. The era of moneyhats for support is more or less over, release the right hardware and an attractive software eco-system and you will get the games.

A 20.000 yen Nintendo portable in 2016/2017 can will that roll unless they go for subpar hardware.

[360] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft Game Studios) { 2013-06-06 } - 24.799
[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition (Mojang) {2014-06-24} - 297.907
[XB1] Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (Microsoft Game Studios) {2014-09-05} - 855
[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang) {2014-10-29} - 492.244
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (Mojang) {2014-12-25} - 84.069

Xbox numbers are pretty sketchy due to it not being a constant charter. XB1 is only digital for like a month, for example.

thank you.
DQ is a much bigger brand that MC but will DQB be able to surpass MC?

Fisico

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang) {2014-10-29} - 492.244

Last week the numbers were the following ones

Physical Media Create and Digital Famitsu

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 220.589

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition [Digital Version] <ADV> (Mojang AB) {2014.10.29} (¥2.057) - 279.487

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang) {2014-10-29} - 500.076

would be more accurate I think (only by a few thousands copies though).

EDIT : Woups, didn't notice Hiska mixed retail Media Create with Digital Famitsu, so your number makes more sense in fact.

Takao

Banned
EDIT : Woups, didn't notice Hiska mixed retail Media Create with Digital Famitsu, so your number makes more sense in fact.

Yeah, all of the numbers I posted are from Famitsu. They're as recent as can be.

thank you.
DQ is a much bigger brand that MC but will DQB be able to surpass MC?

It's hard to say. Clones rarely outsell their inspiration, but at the same time Dragon Quest is so much more popular than Minecraft and DQB is going to get a much larger push.

Hopefully SE gets the pricing right with DQB. It needs to be priced like Minecraft (¥2.592) or close to it. They are going to kill the potential of the game if they price it with your usual SE tax.

hiska-kun

Yeah, all of the numbers I posted are from Famitsu. They're as recent as can be.

I have more recent numbers for PS4 version (obviously Famitsu)

[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition [Digital Version] <ADV> (Mojang AB) (¥2.057) - 96.569

Takao

Banned
I have more recent numbers for PS4 version (obviously Famitsu)

[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition [Digital Version] <ADV> (Mojang AB) (¥2.057) - 96.569

Where did that come from? The PS4 version didn't chart in the May Top 10 and JapanLTDRank has it at 84k as of April.

Oregano

Anyway back to the earlier points:

Once again, sorry, but I can't get the logic.
You are not confident: ok. it this a fact? no. So....
Snack World is multi: with mobile. Does that mean that L5 is not investing in the 3DS? No. Does that mean that they are supporting Sony ecosystem more than the 3DS? I think you agree with me...the answer is no.
This being announced for 3DS doesn't mean that it can't come out for Sony ecosystem too? Wait..what? Is this some kind of "game". Let's do this: DQ Builders announced only for Sony ecosystem doens't mean that it won't come out for the 3DS too. :\
Sega doesn't need to go ahead with Mirai on a Nintendo system? ok. isn't this (once again) applicable to every softco/game/platform? so it could work on the other way too...

yes, I didn't mean to intend that they are no more working on it. Just that pointing at that as a sign of Level5 decreasing Nintendo handheld support is silly

I'm not saying multiplatform development is bad or doesn't count but I would say that there's been very little movements towards adding Nintendo platforms to the mix though. EDIT: I think Nintendo are aware of that and have tried to remedy it with courting mobile developers. Puzzle and Dragons and Monster Strike are the only big gains since Monster Hunter.

In regards to the MH thing it's solely based on Verendus' comment about Capcom working PS4 into their existing plans.

The point about Project Mirai is that the developer/publisher directly said that the series is ending. Whatever that team does next won't necessarily build on Mirai, after all wasn't the Mirai team the Virtua Fighter team at one point?

That's good! :p
About the multi: fact is: apart from S-E with DQ (from the DS/Wii era) I can't see many other examples that "back up" against the continuos 3DS support I'm seeing in this very last few months (can't find my last week's list :eek: )

I actually do think I was way too pessimistic about the 3DS' lineup this year but there's numerous examples of companies decreasing support. Capcom is still one of the biggest supporters but they started 3DS with Street Fighter, Resident Evil, a new IP, Megaman(RIP) and at one point even Lost Planet made an appearance; now it's just MonHun and Ace Attorney.

hiska-kun

Where did that come from? The PS4 version didn't chart in the May Top 10 and JapanLTDRank has it at 84k as of April.

But it charted in PS digital Top 10 ranking (only posted in the magazine). May Sales for PS4 are:

[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition [Digital Version] <ADV> (Mojang AB) (¥2.057) - 12.500

JapanLTDRank hasn't updated May numbers yet

BriBri

Capcom ... started 3DS with Street Fighter, Resident Evil, a new IP, Megaman(RIP) and at one point even Lost Planet made an appearance; now it's just MonHun and Ace Attorney.
You mean Monster Hunter X, Monster Hunter Diary, Monster Hunter Stories and Dai Gyakuten Saiban but no Gaist Crusher 3 so you're right;-)

cw_sasuke

I actually do think I was way too pessimistic about the 3DS' lineup this year but there's numerous examples of companies decreasing support. Capcom is still one of the biggest supporters but they started 3DS with Street Fighter, Resident Evil, a new IP, Megaman(RIP) and at one point even Lost Planet made an appearance; now it's just MonHun and Ace Attorney.

3DS its on his way out - of course publishers will have less games in work compared to the first years - same is true for Nintendo or Level 5. Starting 2016 we will likely already see NX announcements.

L~A

there's probably no answer to this but...

Is Etrian Odyssey V still happening? or did Atlus realize they are milking the cow dry too fast and delayed or cancelled?

did I dream they released a 1 minute teaser?

there was nothing about it at E3, kinda wondering

They did release a teaser video.

Etrian Odyssey V was announced the way it was because EOU2 (with EOU the previous year) was about to come out, they just announced Etrian Mystery Dungeon, and they most likely wanted to reassure fans that yet, Etrian Odyssey V is indeed coming (and most likely the next Etrian Odyssey game they release).

What puzzles me about EOV is not so much the announcement itself, is the lack of target platform. There's no reason to hide the fact it's coming to 3DS if it is, or that it's jumping ship to PS4/V if it really is... unless they were waiting to see how the market would evolve?

Anyway, looking forward to this week's numbers.

Also, Nintendo should totally get Level-5 to make a Yo-kai Watch minecraft clones (it's the latest trend, after all) for their next platform. Oh, and finally get that damn Minecraft in the first place... crazy how they're basically the only ones without their version (excluding all the mediocre e-Shop only clones).

Oregano

You mean Monster Hunter X, Monster Hunter Diary, Monster Hunter Stories and Dai Gyakuten Saiban but no Gaist Crusher 3 so you're right;-)

As I said still good support but you can't seriously it's argue than the early support.

3DS its on his way out - of course publishers will have less games in work compared to the first years - same is true for Nintendo or Level 5. Starting 2016 we will likely already see NX announcements.

It might be a testament to how badly Nintendo handles transitions but you don't see that with other systems. PS3 didn't drop off before PS4, PSP didn't drop off before Vita. Vita's in its fourth year and its support is increasing.

Busaiku

I do think it's funny that the situation is reversed this gen, with Dragon Quest on Sony, and Monster Hunter on Nintendo.
I guess we'll see through next year if Monster Hunter as a franchise has really overtaken Dragon Quest, or if it just managed to get everything right on PSP (which was bolstered by the hunting genre in general).

I do think it's funny that the situation is reversed this gen, with Dragon Quest on Sony, and Monster Hunter on Nintendo.
I guess we'll see through next year if Monster Hunter as a franchise has really overtaken Dragon Quest, or if it just managed to get everything right on PSP (which was bolstered by the hunting genre in general).

It's going to be amazing to see Monster Hunter on the next Nintendo handheld, skipped the franchise on 3DS because there was no evolution from the PSP games but finally, we should hopefully see a jump in graphics and gameplay. Capcom will have to actually have to work hard and make new assets, they must be frightened at the prospect of finally letting go of fucking PS2 assets.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
As I said still good support but you can't seriously it's argue than the early support.

He and we can, seriously.

Anyway back to the earlier points:

I'm not saying multiplatform development is bad or doesn't count but I would say that there's been very little movements towards adding Nintendo platforms to the mix though. EDIT: I think Nintendo are aware of that and have tried to remedy it with courting mobile developers. Puzzle and Dragons and Monster Strike are the only big gains since Monster Hunter.

In regards to the MH thing it's solely based on Verendus' comment about Capcom working PS4 into their existing plans.

The point about Project Mirai is that the developer/publisher directly said that the series is ending. Whatever that team does next won't necessarily build on Mirai, after all wasn't the Mirai team the Virtua Fighter team at one point?

You were pessimistic about the lineup, and you still are imho. we saw various games announced in these months/weeks and, with Nintendo still supporting the console in '16, we will probably still see new games coming.
Plus, if NX is a 3DS successor, and if it's true that Nintendo already started talking about it to Western third parties, it's pretty obvious that they started earlier to discuss with third parties in Japan, so we could even see the actual support slowing down because of that (so, the opposite of "abandoning the ship"). That said, the 3DS is still in its old phase of life cycle, while for example PS4 is in its earlier stages: despite that I can't seriously judging negatively the 3DS lineup in the incoming months, compared to the competition in Japan.

I really think that SE is shifting their focus, as you said, from the 3DS to the PS ecosystem, but it's not representative of the entire situation at all.

About Mirai: Sega said the team will change the subject of their work. From this I can't see how anybody can be sure that their next project will not be for a Nintendo handheld. It could not be for 3DS, but it could be on NX (meant as a 3DS successor).

The enitre MH argument is something weird. Verendus hinted at a possible PS4 version of MH. I'm perfectly fine with that. With all the work done by Capcom on that HW (with Deep down, Dragon's dogma online, the rumored MH Frontier 2, Street Fighter 5) I personally would try to test the western reception on that hw for my brand. BUt at the same time, the support of that brand is COMPLETELY on 3DSn and it is HUGE.

As for Capcom, I can't see Nazo Waku Yakata as a stronger support compared to Monster Hunter Story. Seriously. And the discussion about "less games/less new IP/less experiment VS more strong franchises/new iteration/sequels/spinoff/episods" seems something more related to the state of the industry in general, not to Capcom on 3DS.

And anyway, it's also pretty usual to see smaller projects with new IP or more originality in the first half of the lifecycle of a console, while the big hits ofter arrive later. It's not something that indicates a reduced support to the console. especially in terms of transition to the new hardware.

That said, I don't see, as you said, "numerous companies decreasing support", apart from SE and apart from the "obvious" in-between steps of the old/new hardwares (example: I can't understand how the newly announced 7th dragon for 3DS (after the latest episode being on PSP) can be seen as a sing of decreased support to the 3DS in favor of the PS ecosystem. Really)

BTW, I've found the list I made last week about newly announced games for 3DS. This covers just the games I remember, it wasn't a deep analysis, but I tried to check the games announced in the latest few months, especially because I was honeslty surprised to see so many games STILL announced for such a "old" 3DS (I've underlined the first party games, because we are now talking about third party support). Probably, there are other games I forgot:

NINTENDO:
Rhythm Tengoku just released
Fire Emblem IF just released
Animal Crossing Home designer announced + amiibo cards in April
Chibi Robo Zip lash + amiibo announced in May
Mario & Sonic at Rio announced in May
Super Pokemon Mistery Dungeon announced in May
Metroid Prime Federation Force announced in June
The legend of Zelda Triforce Heroes announced in June
Mario & Luigi Paper jam announced in June

LEVEL 5:
Yokai Watch Busters announced in April
Yokai Watch 3 announced in April
Yo-kai Watch and the Romance of three Kingdoms in April
The Snack World announced in April

Bandai-Namco:
Project X Zone 2 announced in April
The baseball game announced in June
Disney Castle 2 announced in June

Square-Enix:
Dragon quest VIII announced in May

Capcom:
Monster Hunter Stories announced in May
Monster Hunter Diary announced in May
Monster Hunter X announced in May

Tecmo-Koei:
Hyrule Warriors Legends announced in June

Sega:
7th Dragon 3 announced in June

Aksys:
Zero Escape 3 in July

I also think that a possible decrease in support for the 3DS, and an increase of support to the PS ecosystem, could be seen as a usual step in between the release of the new hardware, that would succeed the 3DS itself.

cw_sasuke

It might be a testament to how badly Nintendo handles transitions but you don't see that with other systems. PS3 didn't drop off before PS4, PSP didn't drop off before Vita. Vita's in its fourth year and its support is increasing.

At this point you are trying a but too hard to paint that negative picture - just take a look a Aostias post and the games that have been announced recently and the games that are charting right now. 3DS games first party or 3rd party are often announced like 2-3 months before the release - thats not often the case with higher budget console titles that often get announced more than a year before release if not earlier.

PSP didnt drop off before the Vita tells us what exactly ? That the DS sold as much system as possible and the everyone jumped onto the 3DS when it was announced. You act as if there is some magic process that makes Sony handle system transition better than Nintendo which isnt true.

Anyway it seems like you already made up your mind about 3DS/NX and the PS family so there isnt much i can add to that.

z0m3le

Banned
I'm honestly surprised that anyone is talking about the Sony "ecosystem" for the future of Japan development when PS3 took a 50% nosedive this year and probably looking to drop at least that much next year, PSV has very niche titles and the only thing that seems to really be growing it is minecraft, which the DQ clone won't find a vast new audience with, so while it is down what? ~30%? from last year, I think the Sony "ecosystem" looks like an island, and with all these multiplatform releases on PS4 there is nothing really driving the install base there either.

My thinking might be completely off, but I see PS4 standing alone after 2016 with just over 3m install base which I imagine NX platform/ecosystem will quickly catch up to in Japan. The one point where 3rd parties might still be interested in PS4 is to reach the western audience as PS4 should be ~50m world wide by then. I do think we will see some classic exclusives for both Nintendo and Sony go multiplatform as both companies make this transition but of course I can't see the future, however Nintendo makes some of the biggest Japanese IPs in Pokemon and Animal Crossing especially, so as long as those come to the platform early enough, success in Japan should be fairly easy to come by.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You missed another YW.
Yo-kai Watch and the Romance of three Kingdoms

Yup!
I missed also Zero Escape 3. does that count? obviously smaller, but still...
I could add those two to the list, but the point was communicate neverless, I suppose.

Darius

Banned
I'm honestly surprised that anyone is talking about the Sony "ecosystem" for the future of Japan development when PS3 took a 50% nosedive this year and probably looking to drop at least that much next year, PSV has very niche titles and the only thing that seems to really be growing it is minecraft, which the DQ clone won't find a vast new audience with, so while it is down what? ~30%? from last year, I think the Sony "ecosystem" looks like an island, and with all these multiplatform releases on PS4 there is nothing really driving the install base there either.

My thinking might be completely off, but I see PS4 standing alone after 2016 with just over 3m install base which I imagine NX platform/ecosystem will quickly catch up to in Japan. The one point where 3rd parties might still be interested in PS4 is to reach the western audience as PS4 should be ~50m world wide by then. I do think we will see some classic exclusives for both Nintendo and Sony go multiplatform as both companies make this transition but of course I can't see the future, however Nintendo makes some of the biggest Japanese IPs in Pokemon and Animal Crossing especially, so as long as those come to the platform early enough, success in Japan should be fairly easy to come by.

That´s a point I agree with and one that I had in mind as well. It´s clear that they currently use PS3 to soften the blow, but this is hardly something you can benefit from forever. The decline has been very sharp even with the likes of Yakuza zero, an exclusive Tales of game and more importantely Dragon Quest Heroes just a few months ago. PSV is in a very similar position, it also declined compared to its last years already lackluster sales.

Bruno MB

[3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening <SLG> (Nintendo) {2012.04.19} (¥4.800) - 60.313 / 302.913 (-75%)

Fire Emblem: Awakening had a 75% drop, let's see how Fire Emblem Fates: Black Kingdom / White Kingdom did in its second week. We should expect a similar drop, a bit higher in Famitsu because of the special SKU that had a limited print and they track every sold copy as 2 copies, something that doesn't make too much sense because it's just one cartridge.

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 19,475
PS4 18,171
Vita 14,067
Wii U 12,781
New3DS 5,506
PS3 3,102
3DS 1,394
3DS LL 861
Vita TV 741
Xbox One 235

54k for Fire Emblem Fates.

vareon

Nintendo doesn't have an "ecosystem" right now, they have two completely different platforms with dead growth. While PS4 didn't exactly sell like hotcakes, it's the only real platform that promises growth in Japan, and Sony's ecosystem makes it easy for developers to target PS4/PS3/Vita as evidenced by the recent announcements. It's understandable why publishers want to build their audience on Sony, unless Nintendo have many huge unknown NX deals with publishers we know nothing about.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
[3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening <SLG> (Nintendo) {2012.04.19} (¥4.800) - 60.313 / 302.913 (-75%)

Fire Emblem: Awakening had a 75% drop, let's see how Fire Emblem Fates: Black Kingdom / White Kingdom did in its second week. We should expect a similar drop, a bit higher in Famitsu because of the special SKU that had a limited print and they track every sold copy as 2 copies, something that doesn't make too much sense because it's just one cartridge.

Media Create:

New3DS LL 19,475
PS4 18,171
Vita 14,067
Wii U 12,781
New3DS 5,506
PS3 3,102
3DS 1,394
3DS LL 861
Vita TV 741
Xbox One 235

54k for Fire Emblem Fates.

so, HUUUGE drop for FE Fates. Kind of expected, but still a big drop for it to compete for the "best FE ever" crown, maybe?

Zero Escape 3 wasn't announced for Japan yet.
Or I missed the confirmation.

My mistake!

z0m3le

Banned
Nintendo doesn't have an "ecosystem" right now, they have two completely different platforms with dead growth. While PS4 didn't exactly sell like hotcakes, it's the only real platform that promises growth in Japan, and Sony's ecosystem makes it easy for developers to target PS4/PS3/Vita as evidenced by the recent announcements. It's understandable why publishers want to build their audience on Sony, unless Nintendo have many huge unknown NX deals with publishers we know nothing about.

It's amazing how everything you said is absolutely correct and I agree with completely, yet you didn't actually reply to anything I said. The "platform/ecosystem" for Nintendo was about NX which isn't released yet, I agree with what you mentioned about Sony's ecosystem right now but my post was about that ecosystem becoming an island with a little over 3m hardware sales by the end of 2016, in part because of the ecosystem which encourages Sony platform holders (the customer) to not upgrade from the PS3 or just play on their Vita which also isn't growing and both look like they are in store for another sharp decline.

Bruno MB

so, HUUUGE drop for FE Fates. Kind of expected, but still a big drop for it to compete for the "best FE ever" crown, maybe?

It never had a chance to overtake Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem but it will comfortably be the second best-selling in the series. It should be able to at least reach over 550.000 units.

JoeM86

So it's the final week in a while where we won't see Yo-kai Watch in the Top 20 (while Pokémon is still in it. Pokémon-killer my arse). Really intrigued to see the numbers their first spin-off does.

L~A

Wasn't one of the retailers (Tsutaya?) mentionning shortages which might have hurt sales (their words).

But yeah, wouldn't be surprising for FEF to be more frontloaded.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It never had a chance to overtake Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem but it will comfortably be the second best-selling in the series. It should be able to at least reach over 550.000 units.

Oh, I agree, but I've seen other users belive that after the great opening.
Btw should still be ahead of Awakaning counting digital sales (cards + eshop) and LE numbers, launch aligned

So it's the final week in a while where we won't see Yo-kai Watch in the Top 20 (while Pokémon is still in it. Pokémon-killer my arse). Really intrigued to see the numbers their first spin-off does.

Which is the best selling Pokemon spinoff ever? and on 3DS?

Yeah it does, if someone asked for how much each version sold individually you wouldn't just count the SE for one but not the other (or exclude it entirely).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

JoeM86

Which is the best selling Pokemon spinoff ever? and on 3DS?

Dungeon titles are the best selling overall. Dungeon Red & Blue across GBA and DS did just short of 6 million. Dungeon Time & Darkness did 4.5 million worldwide.

Pokémon Shuffle on 3DS has been downloaded 4.7 million times so far, but that doesn't count. That said, Pokémon spin-offs drop off as time goes. 1 million is the benchmark

I expect Yo-kai Watch Busters to break 1 million at the very least (especially as they're two versioning it), probably hit 2 but doubt it'll get higher.

Top Bottom