• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2015 (Jul 13 - Jul 19)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Spike Chunsoft's new game with Tri-Ace was revealed as a side-view RPG named Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky for PSV/PS4.

It has a 14 page reveal in Famitsu.

It's not very relevant for the overall market, but I do think it represents Spike Chunsoft continuing to try to increase their relevance.

randomkid

Persona 4 Golden possibly sold/shipped more in the West than in Japan. In October of 2013 it shipped 300k in Japan only and then in December of 2013 it was revealed that P4G had shipped 700k worldwide.

Then in April of 2014 they announced that P4G shipped 350k in Japan only. I wonder if/when Persona 4 Golden will hit 1 million shipped. You'd think it would be close by now.

Thanks for tracking this info down, I suspected this might also be true but wasn't sure. It's interesting to think that for both niche RPGs and mainstream ones, sales will often end up higher in the west, although we probably don't know if that's also true for overall returns. I don't think this was the case in the past, so I wonder what the long term implications will be for the few RPGs that are left these days.

noshten

Nintendo under-shipped and it appears COMG had to cancel a bunch of ACHD pre-orders since they don't have enough stock to fulfill all pre-orders.

noshten

Huh? How/why would Nintendo undership them?

COMG is just made up of 16 stores spreaded across the Niigata Prefecture in Japan. So it's kind of like cross section in terms of predicting sales numbers for games. The stores in question took too many pre-orders for ACHD and it turned out they won't have enough stock with the first shipment to fulfill the pre-orders in question.
Most likely we can expect a high sell through first week for ACHD with stock troubles based on this and high digital sale through based on that. Nintendo probably didn't expect a spin off would move that many units. Considering how other popular franchise spin-offs do I don't see the reason for a spin off for a game that has gone on to sell 4 million in Japan doing great should be surprising at this point.

because they're nintendo

That explains it in less words
lol

Vena

COMG is just made up of 16 stores spreaded across the Niigata Prefecture in Japan. So it's kind of like cross section in terms of predicting sales numbers for games. The stores in question took too many pre-orders for ACHD and it turned out they won't have enough stock with the first shipment to fulfill the pre-orders in question.
Most likely we can expect a high sell through first week for ACHD with stock troubles based on this and high digital sale through based on that. Nintendo probably didn't expect a spin off would move that many units. Considering how other popular franchise spin-offs do I don't see the reason for a spin off for a game that has gone on to sell 4 million in Japan doing great should be surprising at this point.

Isn't it up to retail what the initial shipment is in Japan?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo under-shipped and it appears COMG had to cancel a bunch of ACHD pre-orders since they don't have enough stock to fulfill all pre-orders.

You can't undership something that isn't out yet.

When you take preorders you must take only these that can be covered for the initial shipment that will be available to you.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The Battle Cats continues its march, now 14th in the 3DS All-Time Japanese eShop Chart.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So next year we will likely have Yokai Watch 3, DQ 11 and a new mainline Pokmeon on 3DS....busy times. Ah yes that MH RPG is coming as well....lol.

cw_sasuke

So SE killed any chance for The PS4 to sell well in Japan with the 3DS version of DQXI?

Erm no....there are many people who prefer a console DQ and/or would double dip for both versions.

L~A

It wasn't that popular a brand before the PSP. It's the PSP that made it huge.

I don't think it's that simple... it was a syngery. MH was the right game for the PSP, and the PSP was the right platform for Monster Hunter. Pretty simple.

Erm no....there are many people who prefer a console DQ and/or would double dip for both versions.

... in the West, yup.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The other option would be to kill DQXI sales.

I'm sure this will be final the SE title for 3DS by the way. Everyone is shifting to Sony and mobile.

Almost didn't detect the sarcasm there xD.

So... am I the only one who has a funny feeling they'll localize the PS4 DQ11 but not the 3DS version?..... (that'd make me sad as a 3DS owner...)

Scum

You win this round, Vena.
LLShC.gif

cw_sasuke

3DS DQ XI looks amazing - will be able to sell + 4 million.
... in the West, yup.

Nah in JPN as well. Even MH games can sell up to million even when there are more popular handheld versions around.

cw_sasuke

Ni no kuni flop badly though and it uses the same strategy.

Monster, Dragon Quest, NinoKuni.

One is not like the other. Ninokuni already disappointed on 3DS while MH and DQ sell up to 4 millions on their main plattforms.

Oregano

Soo uhh DQX and DQXI confirmed for NX too. Looks like I was totes wrong about that.

Square Enix you glorious motherfuckers

cw_sasuke

DQX and DQXI also announced for NX - very interesting especially since we got this announcement so soon.

Ehh? I thought ni no kuni on DS sold quite well for a new IP too.

"Quite well" isnt MH/DQ level though. You cant compare an IP like Ninokuni to DQ - the difference in sales and appeal is too large.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Monster, Dragon Quest, NinoKuni.

One is not like the other. Ninokuni already disappointed on 3DS while MH and DQ sell up to 4 millions on their main plattforms.

NNK really disappointed on the 3DS, selling a fantastic zero units. Not a good ROI, though not super damaging either.

Top Bottom