• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2015 (Jul 13 - Jul 19)

lherre

Accurate
I think the best argument in favor of it being a port of the UE4 game is simply looking at the amount of Japanese games running on Unreal Engine 4.

There's a huge potential market for Epic if they make UE4 work on NX. All those developers using their own custom engines on 3DS are potential new licensees, or an opportunity to sell even more licenses to their existing customers.

Mark Rein has been very clear over the years that the two requirements for your platform to receive Unreal Engine are 1.) it meets the hardware requirements and 2.) there is a sizable audience of people who would actually consider licensing the engine to develop for the platform. Given how UE4 scales to mobile, unless the NX uses 5+ year old hardware, the first requirement should be covered. It would be hard to imagine there's no demand for the second.

Yes, it's very scalable, but it depends on the "big version" you could scale well to more "limited" devices, so the thing here is ...

IF NX is a handheld (this is a big IF) what S-E wants to sell?

- A downport of the PS4 version?
- Or an enhanced 3DS version?

Respect the announcement, I think it's the best possible for all the users.

random25

YSO predictions

Week 31, 2015 (Jul 27 - Aug 2)

[3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer 1475k
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters 176k
[PSV] IA/VT: Colorful 38k
[WIU] Splatoon 43k

Even my optimistic view thinks this is very huge prediction lol. That's just ridiculous for 1st week sales of a spin-off game imo. But I won't be surprised if it happens though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, it's very scalable, but it depends on the "big version" you could scale well to more "limited" devices, so the thing here is ...

IF NX is a handheld (this is a big IF) what S-E wants to sell?

- A downport of the PS4 version?
- Or an enhanced 3DS version?

Respect the announcement, I think it's the best possible for all the users.

Right, part of my assumption here is that they're fine selling a downgraded version on the basis of how Dragon Quest VIII 3DS looks.

YSO predictions

[WIU] Splatoon 43k

That's crazy for Animal Crossing
Even Splatoon getting a bigger bump than first expected?

'edit: so it's fake. Almost disappointing

Nightbird

YSO predictions

[WIU] Splatoon 43k

If that's true, Animal Crossing can join Nintendos Top Series in terms of selling Power

horuhe

As Xbro said, we already got Week 31 predictions.

And, for instance, I think this is the YSO predictions page, and the biggest prediction from a retailer was 780k and the lowest was 390k.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Right, part of my assumption here is that they're fine selling a downgraded version on the basis of how Dragon Quest VIII 3DS looks.
This.

Every downgrade port to NX portable will still look better than most of the stuff you found on other portable systems. Even when using the WiiU Gamepad with Off TV play and it's 480p resolution some console games just look impressive.

If NX portable with a 540-720p and smaller screen than the game pad can get PS4 games like DQXI that would be a big step in unifying the Japanese console industry.
If that's true, Animal Crossing can join Nintendos Top Series in terms of selling Power
Erm... It joined the club years ago.

vareon

I hope this is the case, as it means we have four different looks of Dragon Quest XI! One for each gen!

Oregano

I think the best argument in favor of it being a port of the UE4 game is simply looking at the amount of Japanese games running on Unreal Engine 4.

There's a huge potential market for Epic if they make UE4 work on NX. All those developers using their own custom engines on 3DS are potential new licensees, or an opportunity to sell even more licenses to their existing customers.

Mark Rein has been very clear over the years that the two requirements for your platform to receive Unreal Engine are 1.) it meets the hardware requirements and 2.) there is a sizable audience of people who would actually consider licensing the engine to develop for the platform. Given how UE4 scales to mobile, unless the NX uses 5+ year old hardware, the first requirement should be covered. It would be hard to imagine there's no demand for the second.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Square Enix their biggest client now, since they got that lifelong & company wide license?

I imagine if SE want UE4 to run on NX that Epic will oblige.

Not to mention the fact that DQ Heroes was developed as a PS4 game and ported downwards and now the sequel is going all the way down to Vita!

crinale

Not to mention the fact that DQ Heroes was developed as a PS4 game and ported downwards and now the sequel is going all the way down to Vita!

Well them having Healix chanting 4-player co-op in Japanese twitter account I'm sure DQH2 will be Toukiden like game rather than Musou. With that design you will have far less enemies to display on screen..

Oregano

Different scopes and engines.

I see more "ambition" (tech) in DQ11 than DQH games.

Sure, Koei Tecmo's engine is already really scalable(see Hyrule Warriors Legends) but it shows that SE are fine with downgrading games.

Well them having Healix chanting 4-player co-op in Japanese twitter account I'm sure DQH2 will be Toukiden like game rather than Musou. With that design you will have far less enemies to display on screen..

I considered that it might be a bit of a genre change but in the Jump article they specifically mentioned big crowd of enemies(I think).

FluxWaveZ

PREDICTION LEAGUE AUGUST 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 27 to Aug 30):
[3DS] Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (32 days) - 1,400,000
[PSV] IA/VT Colorful (32 days) - 50,000
[PSV] KanColle Kai (4 days) - 100,000
[3DS] Dragon Quest VIII (4 days) - 650,000
[3DS] Super Robot Wars BX (11 days) - 100,000

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
@Nirolak: reading your posts is very interesting. can I ask you a couple of questions?

1) reading your posts it seems that you are considering the DQ NX announcements as "official", despite the official PR stating that they are "considering NX versions" for both DQX and XI. Do you think that they are just "considering" up to now just because of the "status" of NX? So, let's say: could we consider those games factually announced for the platform? Could this lead us to think that maybe even SE (and Nintendo) still don't know the exact specs, and consequently if the NX hw will or will not be able to run UE4 natively?

2) Don't you think that we should somehow positevely reconsider also the recent April Level5 conference, after this SE one? It seems to me that their approach to YW is not that different from the SE's one to DQ. Yes, they are "skipping" the home console market (in terms of heavy investment) but that's primarly because (contraty to SE) it's not there that their stuff is more skilled at, and it's not there that their IPs strenght lies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Normally when publisher "consider" bringing games to a plattform they dont announce it during a press conference. The plattform hasnt been officially announced yet so thats probably the reason they backtracked to considering and dodging questions about NX.

With this announcement KH3 hitting NX as well got a lot more likely. This will show us if SE is ready to go all in on NX or if this is just another special DQ case like in the past.

Fisico

Prediction League May 2015 Results
21 DSQ Fisico 21 DSQ Fisico

Uh, did I edit my post after the deadline, I do remember paying attention to it so that's weird, but oh well that's what you get for waiting at the last minute.
Most of the fun isn't in the ranking anyway :p

[3DS] Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (32 days) - 1.111.111
[PSV] IA/VT Colorful (32 days) - 62.430
[PSV] KanColle Kai (4 days) - 139.000
[3DS] Dragon Quest VIII (4 days) - 762.345
[3DS] Super Robot Wars BX (11 days) - 130.600

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
@Nirolak: reading your posts is very interesting. can I ask you a couple of questions?

1) reading your posts it seems that you are considering the DQ NX announcements as "official", despite the official PR stating that they are "considering NX versions" for both DQX and XI. Do you think that they are just "considering" up to now just because of the "status" of NX? So, let's say: could we consider those games factually announced for the platform? Could this lead us to think that maybe even SE (and Nintendo) still don't know the exact specs, and consequently if the NX hw will or will not be able to run UE4 natively?

2) Don't you think that we should somehow positevely reconsider also the recent April Level5 conference, after this SE one? It seems to me that their approach to YW is not that different from the SE's one to DQ. Yes, they are "skipping" the home console market (in terms of heavy investment) but that's primarly because (contraty to SE) it's not there that their stuff is more skilled at, and it's not there that their IPs strenght lies.

During the actual conference, it seems Saito explicitly said DQX/XI are coming to NX (Aeana and johntv reported as such, among many other people). It's just later that they tried to backpedal a bit by saying "NX under consideration", probably because, while it's indeed coming, it's possible they talked too soon / they can't say that much since, well, the console hasn't even been announced officially yet.

Horii & co have a habit of announcing things when they feel like it and making SE PR scramble in the process.

Am I the only one that thinks that *both* versions of DQXI could potentially come to NX? Up port the 3DS version to the NX handheld and the PS4 version to the console. Maybe even do a doublepack.

XDDX

[3DS] Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (32 days) - 1,111,111
[PSV] IA/VT Colorful (32 days) - 60,000
[PSV] KanColle Kai (4 days) - 150,000
[3DS] Dragon Quest VIII (4 days) - 888,888
[3DS] Super Robot Wars BX (11 days) - 80,000

Absolutely nothing stops UE4 built games from running on a suitably powerful handheld. Its middle-ware, its not platform specific tools.

There's still a huge performance gap between PS4 and even the most capable mobile hardware. Being able to run the same middleware engines doesn't erase that.

I mean, Vita could obviously run UE3, yet the Borderlands 2 port ran like shit because it was a game designed for much more capable hardware.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

[3DS] Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (32 days) - 1,216,000
[PSV] IA/VT Colorful (32 days) - 68,943
[PSV] KanColle Kai (4 days) - 195,222
[3DS] Dragon Quest VIII (4 days) - 755,308
[3DS] Super Robot Wars BX (11 days) - 123,765

Oregano

There's still a huge performance gap between PS4 and even the most capable mobile hardware. Being able to run the same middleware engines doesn't erase that.

I mean, Vita could obviously run UE3, yet the Borderlands 2 port ran like shit because it was a game designed for much more capable hardware.

I'm not convinced the 3DS successor will be able to handle games like Kingdom Hearts but Unreal Engine 4 was built to be more scalable from the get go.

Also all of Sony's Third Party Production ports are shit

L~A

This is 2015 in Japan

Oh, I didn't know the game was releasing this year in Japan.

I honestly think they pushed it back after the fatigue the series hit, and it may end up just releasing on the NX or something. Aside from PQ, the series got fatigued heavily last year.

It's more like they announced a main entry after releasing a remake, just before releasing a second remake, and after announcing a spin-off (EMD)... oh and Persona Q too.

They simply wanted to tell people "Yeah, EOV is coming don't worry", a bit like Capcom announced both MH3G and MH4 at the same time.

Nintendo announced Super Mario Maker Bundle Set for Japan too.
The price is 33.000¥ (tax not included)

Wii U price is going higher and higher everyday.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/amaj/sp/products/set.html

Actually, there's two bundles:

1) with the Mario amiibo
2) without the Mario amiibo (slightly more expensive)

hiska-kun

Actually, there's two bundles:

1) with the Mario amiibo
2) without the Mario amiibo (slightly more expensive)

Yes, the Amiibo bundle is limited, though.
Still both bundles are slightly more expensive than MK8 bundle, and of course more expensive than 2013 Family bundle (NSMBU + Wii Party U)

L~A

^

Oh, I know and agree with you, just pointing out the second bundle. And I didn't know the first one was limited.

Media Create:

New3DS LL 21,028
PS4 17,656
Vita 13,843
Wii U 11,257
New3DS 5,753
PS3 2,956
3DS 1,286
3DS LL 807
Vita TV 642
Xbox One 211

sörine

Banned
Pretty amazing how Splatoon's single handedly doubled Wii U hardware numbers. It's too bad everyone already gave up on the system.

lol, just check last year's numbers, Wii U was doing more than 6k right around now

It was, which was due to MK. However, the bump wasn't as high for a sustained period of time as it has been with Splatoon.

Also, I was referring to the weeks before Splatoon came out in my previous post, where I think it was mainly doing 6-7k (except for 1-2 weeks around Xenoblade, DQX launch).

sörine

Banned
lol, just check last year's numbers, Wii U was doing more than 6k right around now
I meant weekly, not yoy. Splatoon's bump has been sustained amazingly, we're at new baseline territory now. Thanks entirely to a new IP shooter in Japan, that's insane.

Top Bottom