• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2014 (Nov 10 - Nov 16)

Though I was expecting a bit more for N3DS during Pokémon week, I also always remarked how the revision must succeed next year,. N3DS will help to decrease the gap YOY, but it must also help the platform to not fall to abysmal sales in the first half of 2015. N3DS will likely replace the previous version, and it is not meant to bring 3DS sales to the 2012 & 2013 level, in my opinion.

L~A

Yeah, and looks like older fans (who may have skipped X/Y) who bought the remake for nostalgia already owned the 3DS.

How does the N3DS fares against the DSi? I remember it holding up pretty well during the first 2 weeks, but

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't looks like a bad result for 3DS. It increased around 32,000 units (this is Famitsu datas) from last week thanks to Pokémon and probably Holiday rush starting, and it's up YOY compared to Week 47, 2013. Hopefully, being up YOY cotinues in December: last year's December was quite slower than other, doing better than that (and, thus, having a better momentum from Holidays carring Q1 2015 sales) should be Nintendo's objective.

Yeah, December last year was somewhat ok (some good selling games), though nothing fantastic either. And sales really took a hit in the first quarter. I believe the N3DS will help this time around, though I'm still expecting sales to be down YoY (albeit not 50% like 2013).

But yeah, current sales for the N3DS shows successor certainly will arrive before 2017 and the N3DS won't dramatically increase the 3DS lifespan (as suggested by some).

Urgent New 3DS Direct

- Xenoblade 3D
- Monster Hunter 4 Elite
- Youkai Watch 3 Amiibo & Friends
- Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei
- Dragon Quest XI
- Love Plus 3
- Phantasy Star Nova
Chance

I can totally see a NFC-compatible YW game next year. This would really drive N3DS sales. Actually, I think a part of the NFC on the revision is because of this. It would not be the first time where Nintendo follows a third party's request hw-wise (like the CPP for MH).

Coming to actual sales (well, pre-orders in this case), both the new Aikatsu game and the last entry in the Derby Stallion series appeared on Comgnet points. They are not directly targeted to people who usually preorder (young girls and more casual players), but it's nice to see other 3DS game getting steam under holidays.

Speaking of Comgnet...

Etrian Odyssey 2 Remake

Nov 24 - 86pt
Nov 25 - 85pt (-1)

lol

Looks like someone is skipping EO2R after the EOV announcement.

Labadal

I don't follow sales threads much, but I was thinking that the 3DS would get a very big considering the new Pokemon game released.

Orgen

3DS didn't break 100k? Very disappointing, I can't see otherwise.

This. And I don't expect outstanding HW numbers with the YW 2.5 launch either.

Maybe it'll make better YoY numbers in the first quarter of 2015 (where 3DS plummeted in 2014) but for now these HW are disappointing.

I don't follow sales threads much, but I was thinking that the 3DS would get a very big considering the new Pokemon game released.

between all the big games in previous years so far, most of the people who would buy a 3ds for a pokemon game already have one.

oras don't offer any n3ds exclusive features (unless i missed somehting?) so there's no motivation for people to upgrade beyond general hype.

L~A

Wouldn't surprise me if X2/Y2 (you know it's going to happen) will be N3DS enhanced (but not exclusive), with amiibo support and stuff.

Question would be: when would it come out?

Wouldn't surprise me if X2/Y2 (you know it's going to happen) will be N3DS enhanced (but not exclusive), with amiibo support and stuff.

Question would be: when would it come out?

Nintendo has been releasing a sort-of-mainline entry on a yearly basis since Platinum. 2015 should have a new Pokémon game like Z or, indeed, Y2/X2.

Nintendo has been releasing a sort-of-mainline entry on a yearly basis since Platinum. 2015 should have a new Pokémon game like Z or, indeed, Y2/X2.

they skipped a year between black/white and b2/w2, i think. still, if they took a year off it would have probably been this one.

diamond/ pearl, skip a year, platinum, gold/silver remakes, new generation, skip a year, direct sequels.

the recent skips all came immediately after the base game.

I know it's pointless to try to imply patterns in things in the end.

they skipped a year between black/white and b2/w2, i think. still, if they took a year off it would have probably been this one.

diamond/ pearl, skip a year, platinum, gold/silver remakes, new generation, skip a year, direct sequels.

the recent skips all came immediately after the base game.

I know it's pointless to try to imply patterns in things in the end.

I guess it was more to buy time to get ready for a new platform. Of course they might skip 2015 as well, and give room for more spin-offs and stuffs like that, since until now we didn't get a lot of side games for both 3DS and Wii U.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
very solid number for Pokemon!
But the 3DS...I think they are really disappointed by the baseline set with the "New" revisions.
This plus the depressing Wii U numbers even with the bundles make so much for that "Holiday Nintendo bump" LOL

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3DS didn't break 100k? Very disappointing, I can't see otherwise.

Probably it won't break 100,000, but MC numbers could be around there, if the difference between trarckers stays the same as recently seen.

Remember: these are Famitsu numbers, thus the week-over-week increase is 32,000 (from 51,000 to 83,000)

But the 3DS...I think they are really disappointed by the baseline set with the "New" revisions.
This plus the depressing Wii U numbers even with the bundles make so much for that "Holiday Nintendo bump" LOL

It's funny how every year there are people laughing at this "Holiday Nintendo bump" and then, periodically, the bump occurs. Not saying that this year will follow the tradition, but it's pretty established that Nintendo games and platforms perform well in December.

SmokyDave

Surely they wouldn't be seeing a 'holiday' bump this far outside of the holidays?

Regardless, it's clear that the New 3DS ain't especially reinvigorating the platform.

Surely they wouldn't be seeing a 'holiday' bump this far outside of the holidays?

Regardless, it's clear that the New 3DS ain't especially reinvigorating the platform.

That's debatable. 3DS might have well sold half of what is doing without the revisions; and it might have gone in early 2015 with a 15k units on a weekly basis.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
3DS is almost 4 years old, and entering it's fifth year in 2015. How long can we honestly expect it to perform on 2012/2013 levels, even with model revisions?

CANLI

Good or not good 3ds sales I don't care. It will surpass the 20 million mark some day which is a big success. The DS was an exception, even people of 80's bought it because of the touch generation.

I hope that Taiko wii u 2 sales will be good. I bought a jap wii u for this game and puyo tetris.

Oregano

I think ORAS should have had N3DS enhancements, even if it was something small.

I think the more hardcore audience is being incentivised to upgrade through MonHun, FFEX and Xenoblade but the more casual, kid audience hasn't been given any real incentive yet. NFC Youkai Watch could be big but I don't think Nintendo is aggressive enough to push for it.

EDIT: I think it's evident in the N3DS/XL split too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
nintendo has to start worrying about YW

the result of ORAS is a clear indication

You mean the best debut for a remake is a clear indication that Nintendo should be worried about YW?
Between this and New 3DS result being considered "mediocre/bad", I don't know...

SmokyDave

That's debatable. 3DS might have well sold half of what is doing without the revisions; and it might have gone in early 2015 with a 15k units on a weekly basis.
Yeah, that's fair enough. It's also why I said 'especially' because it clearly has given them something of a boost compared to earlier this year.

Busaiku

We can't really judge how New 3DS will do on a weekly basis for quite some time.
With the launch being relatively recent and now the holidays, it's gonna have much bigger numbers.

Oregano

nintendo has to start worrying about YW

the result of ORAS is a clear indication

ORAS has done very well thoug and YW's success is a very good thing because it's likely to attract more third party attention. I also don't see Youkai Watch having the same longevity.

Yeah, that's fair enough. It's also why I said 'especially' because it clearly has given them something of a boost compared to earlier this year.

I think you are right in general. The N3DS is holding the fort but not really boosting it.

Darius

Banned
You mean the best debut for a remake is a clear indication that Nintendo should be worried about YW?
Between this and New 3DS result being considered "mediocre/bad", I don't know...

I guess there is a word for such circumstances, maybe "concern trolling"?

As far as I know Pokemon X/Y had the best or at least one of the best 1st week sales in the series.

The performance of ORAS is quite good, it´s first week performance is the best selling out of all remakes. Another interesting tidbit is that ORAS also had a considerably better 1st week than the original release of Smaragd and Saphire which sold a combind 1.2million in its first week.

About 3DS, it is selling quite well, it´s keeping the pace with last years very good year and sales when the first ne Monster Hunter and the first Pokemon mainline title launched. In general 3DS is reaching the 20million barrier quite fast, faster than PS2 even.

Furthermore, I don't see why Nintendo should be "scared" of a third party game such as YW, because of the following reasons:
  • they get royalties from software sales;
  • they will likely get royalties from NFC-compatible toys;
  • YW2 pushed 3DS hw sales this Summer, and of course Nintendo get profits from hw sales;
  • if YW is going to bring new gamers, these will likely get other games and Nintendo games are the next logical step.

And it's not a twenty-year huge IP is going to fade in a few years because of a new competitor. Actually, this might increase Nintendo's awareness, and The Pokémon Company already showed that they are willing to invest more in merchandising and such.

L~A

17 min left for the huge disappointment.

Bah, they'll manage to sell all Day 1 shipments thanks to the holidays, Bamco will survive ;)

But yeah, curious to see how "well" Taiko did. I remember last year opening was pretty... well... did it even chart? :p

Bah, they'll manage to sell all Day 1 shipments thanks to the holidays, Bamco will survive ;)

But yeah, curious to see how "well" Taiko did. I remember last year opening was pretty... well... did it even chart? :p

17,518 units according to Famitsu. It charted, but it didn't sell much of its first shipment. It went to sell 160k+ units eventually.

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 42,184
New3DS 26,791
PS4 12,430
3DS LL 11,534
Vita 10,236
Wii U 9,615
3DS 8,144
PS3 4,324
Xbox One 776
Vita TV 621
Xbox 360 100
PSP 11

They count the double-pack separately, for Pokémon.

Top Bottom