• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2014 (Dec 01 - Dec 07)

Hasn't this franchise been dead since the PS2? I wonder how big it's actually going to be these days.

That said, 300k likely wouldn't make it any bigger than God Eater 2: Rage Burst. Possibly not much bigger than Sword Art Online either.

Sometimes revivals of old IPs work well. If this will be proper SaGa game with some budget behind it, I don't see why gamers shouldn't jump. Maybe not a 400k title, though.

nightever

Saga is now mostly likely a 200K seller, still big for PSV though. Looking like SE is saying truth about supporting vita with more titles. Quite surprising.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New SaGa game announced for PSV. Weird platform choice, unless they will port it eventually to PS4.

PSV gets its first big game for 2015. This is easily a 300-400.000 game.

How much do you think SaGa sells nowdays?

I don't see stock problems for YW2 in Ikebukuro Bic Camera and Yamada Denki today. So yes, probably we're talking about a big shipment.

I have the Famitsu Best First Week, but I would like to check Media Create too.
Chris1964?

Same game with Famitsu

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2010 (Sep 13 - Sep 19)

01./00. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} (¥4.800) - 2.557.779 / NEW <87,65%>

Famitsu Sales: Week 38, 2010 (Sep 13 - Sep 19)

01./00. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} (¥4.800) - 2.637.285 / NEW

hiska-kun

What about DQH PS4?

You mean the bundle? Is fully available too, but since is Sony's Christmas bundle I think it's normal, they shipped a lot.

I'm expecting good sales for PS4 in week 1 2015, with New Year's Eve discounts. DQH bundle is expensive, but that week probably will be cheaper.

And week 1 is usually Sony's week.

Man, Takara Tomy only really do these kinds of games nowadays. :( Remember when they had the Naruto Clash of Ninja series? And actually rebooted Toshinden on Wii? Hell they made an original MH-clone called Nano Diver on PSP.

I miss that Takara Tomy. :(

I still, to this day, never understood the Toshinden on Wii decision. The first game was such a big part of the PS1 launch, and the final 2 titles were both PS1-exclusive. They could've at least sold a few copies more on a PS platform due to nostalgia...

... if they'd actually bothered to do anything nostalgic with it and not just stick the Toshinden name on a fighter that had nothing to really do with it. Ugh. Genuinely, Toshinden was one of my favourite series growing up and finding out new info about that game was such a disappointment.

How much do you think SaGa sells nowdays?

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking when I wrote that. Anyway, if it will a proper jRPG, it might still be one of the most important PSV 2015 games.

Same game with Famitsu

01./00. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} (¥4.800) - 2.557.779 / NEW <87,65%>

01./00. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} (¥4.800) - 2.637.285 / NEW

This always amazes me. The game was able to break the record with just two days (FFVIII had 4 IIRC).

sörine

Banned
Hasn't this franchise been dead since the PS2? I wonder how big it's actually going to be these days.

That said, 300k likely wouldn't make it any bigger than God Eater 2: Rage Burst. Possibly not much bigger than Sword Art Online either.
There were also two DS remakes after PS2.

Famistu ltd sales
Unlimited SaGa (PS2) 438,413
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (PS2) 454,657
SaGa 2: Goddess of Destiny (DS) 170,392
SaGa 3: Shadow or Light (DS) 77,737

Asd202

sörine;143260207 said:
There were also two DS remakes after PS2.

Famistu ltd sales
Unlimited SaGa (PS2) 438,413
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (PS2) 454,657
SaGa 2: Goddess of Destiny (DS) 170,392
SaGa 3: Shadow or Light (DS) 77,737

Unlimited SaGa sold over 400k? LOL.

sörine

Banned
Unlimited SaGa sold over 400k? LOL.
And that's rather low by historical franchise standards, lower than all the SFC and PS1 games iirc. It was probably seen as a bit of a disappointment at the time and might be the reason they only let Kawazu do remakes and browser spinoffs afterwards until now. Hopefully the Vita game does well, it'd be a shame to see the franchise sunk again.

hiska-kun

Same game with Famitsu

Do we have first week numbers for FFVII, VIII, IX and DQVII for MC? Or weren't public yet?
I can't check the database at the moment -.-

Do we have first week numbers for FFVII, VIII, IX and DQVII for MC? Or weren't public yet?

Famitsu:

[PS1] Final Fantasy VIII - 2,504,044 / 3,501,588
[NDS] Dragon Quest IX - 2,343,440 / 4,155,855
[PS2] Dragon Quest VIII - 2,236,881 / 3,555,469
[PS1] Final Fantasy VII - 2,034,879 / 3,277,776
[PS1] Final Fantasy IX - 1,954,421 / 2,707,301
[PS1] Dragon Quest VII - 1,862,065 / 3,893,293

Bruno MB

With the announcement of SaGa 2015 for PlayStation Vita it is a good time to remember how this series used to perform in Japan.

SaGa reminds me of Seiken Densetsu which was another very successful mid-tier Square franchise that originated on Game Boy, reached its peak during the Super Famicom days, and died in the PlayStation 2 era after a badly received entry. It's been 12 years since the last main chapter was released, after that there have only been remakes with mixed bag results. The enhanced remake of Romancing SaGa for PlayStation 2 was rather successful, it did even better than Unlimited SaGa but that wasn't the case for the 2 following remakes released on Nintendo DS, especially the last one which failed to sell 100.000 units.

Code:
[B]SaGa (series)[/B]

[NGB] Makai Toushi SaGa (Square) {1989.12.15} - 1.090.000		
[NGB] SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu (Square) {1990.12.14} - ?
[NGB] SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha (Square) {1991.12.13} - ?
[SFC] Romancing SaGa (Square) {1992.01.28} - 960.000
[SFC] Romancing SaGa 2 (Square) {1993.12.20} - 1.170.000	
[SFC] Romancing SaGa 3 (Square) {1995.11.11} - 1.300.000
[PS1] SaGa Frontier (Square) {1997.07.11} - 1.008.414    
[PS1] SaGa Frontier 2 (Square) {1999.04.01} - 675.254	      
[BWS] Romancing SaGa (Square) {2001.12.20} - 77.072	           
[BWS] Makai Toushi SaGa (Square) {2002.03.20} - 29.567	         
[PS2] Unlimited SaGa (Square) {2002.12.19} - 438.413	        
[PS2] Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (Square Enix) {2005.04.21} - 454.657	        
[NDS] SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu Goddess of Destiny (Square Enix) {2009.09.17} - 170.392	      
[NDS] SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha: Shadow or Light (Square Enix) {2011.01.06} - 77.737

Romancing SaGa on SFC sold (shipped?) 960k.

Thanks!

sörine

Banned
It's worth noting that SaGa 3 wasn't made by Kawazu's SaGa team but by the team that did FF USA/Mystic Quest. I sort of wonder if it's seen as a black sheep by SaGa fans and if that's why it's DS remake did so much worse than SaGa 2 DS?

small44

New SaGa game announced for PSV. Weird platform choice, unless they will port it eventually to PS4.

PSV gets its first big game for 2015. This is easily a 300-400.000 game.

Come on we didn't see anything for the game and you already predict how it will do

Come on we didn't see anything for the game and you already predict how it will do

I already said that the post was a bit reaching. My only opinion is just that the game will be one of the most important 2015 PSV titles, if it turns out to be a proper jRPG.

Saga is now mostly likely a 200K seller, still big for PSV though. Looking like SE is saying truth about supporting vita with more titles. Quite surprising.

I wouldn't say that. The SaGa games for DS never made it passed 200k, and 2 and 3 tanked hardcore (I don't even think the third one made it past 100k). And this was for the all and powerful DS.

People are really overestimating the power of SaGa.

duckroll

I see this thread has gone to shit again, with everyone willfully playing "pull numbers out of our ass" out of boredom. Rofl. Let me throw in a few more factors.

Hey guys, how much do we expect Untitled Capcom PS4 Game (2015) to sell? 50k first week? Maybe 85k if it's a real game? Do you think it'll have more legs if it comes out in July or Oct? Anyone? Need some experts in here.

I see this thread has gone to shit again, with everyone willfully playing "pull numbers out of our ass" out of boredom. Rofl. Let me throw in a few more factors.

Hey guys, how much do we expect Untitled Capcom PS4 Game (2015) to sell? 50k first week? Maybe 85k if it's a real game? Do you think it'll have more legs if it comes out in July or Oct? Anyone? Need some experts in here.

145k FW / 360 LTD if it does not come out close to Untitled Konami PS4 Game (2015).

Its Dragons Dogma 2 isn't it? What do you know Duckroll!?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So were either Deus Ex's engine or FF7 actually Square Enix's console game for December?

I guess handhelds are technically handheld consoles so it could be TDQ or this.

Spiegel

squarejapan1fauxs.png

Will Saga be included on mid-size or small-size? Probably small-size if it's truly a Vita exclusive. We'll see.

It would be nice if they start leveraging old franchises with medium/small games for traditional consoles (handhelds and consoles).

So were either Deus Ex's engine or FF7 actually Square Enix's console game for December?

I guess handhelds are technically handheld consoles so it could be TDQ or this.

This is most likely the original console RPG.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
squarejapan1fauxs.png

Will Saga be included on mid-size or small-size? Probably small-size if it's truly a Vita exclusive. We'll see.

It would be nice if they start leveraging old franchises with medium/small games for traditional consoles (handhelds and consoles).
I would guess small, but first I think we need some details on what the game is in order to tell if they've fundamentally shifted their business model again to include handheld games like they used to make last gen or if something unusual is going on here.

squarejapan1fauxs.png

This is most likely the original console RPG.

If its small which I reckon it is what are the mid sized titles?

FF12 HD? Star Ocean 5? Chrono Burst? Okay I'll stop now....

crinale

I would guess small, but first I think we need some details on what the game is in order to tell if they've fundamentally shifted their business model again to include handheld games like they used to make last gen or if something unusual is going on here.

What business model are they shifting from?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If its small which I reckon it is what are the mid sized titles?

FF12 HD? Star Ocean 5? Chrono Burst? Okay I'll stop now....
If it helps, the budget ranges they list are like $1.5-$3 million for small vs $8.5 million for medium.

Think like the difference between GBIKE/Theatrhythm vs something like Bravely Default.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Media Create started giving numbers many years before Famitsu but nobody was saving them back then.

Final Fantasy IX - 1.951.100
Final Fantasy X - 1.776.329
Final Fantasy X-2 - 1.535.400 <86,99%>
Final Fantasy XII - 1.764.266 <78,38%>
Final Fantasy XIII - 1.501.964 <83,96%>

Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden - 1.831.169
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - 2.167.072
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - 2.318.932 <81,56%>

After the game was actually unveiled, I think it was just you and Sega. :p

That's not what I remember

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What business model are they shifting from?
They cut out the mid-tier products they used to make on handhelds like FFTA, Chocobo, TWEWY, Revenant Wings, Valkyrie Profile DS, Crystal Chronicles, Blood of Bahamut and even most of the bigger ones like Dissidia, Crisis Core, Kingsom Hearts, and Type-0.

It's actually much shorter to list what still exists on handheld as of the last two years than what they trashed.

Between continuing Theatrhytm, Final Fantasy Explorers, and Bravely Second, if this is also a completely normal handheld game, it would suggest they've started up their mid-tier handheld output again to some degree.

Basically at some point things shift from being pattern breakers to being a pattern. A traditional SaGa has no notable ties to a mega selling product nor a large scale digital revenue component like a music game. It would be exactly the kind of low margin, low aspiration product I argued they dumped on the last page if it's a traditional SaGa game.

crinale

They cut out the mid-tier products they used to make on handhelds like FFTA, Chocobo, TWEWY, Revenant Wings, Valkyrie Profile DS, Crystal Chronicles, Blood of Bahamut and even most of the bigger ones like Dissidia, Crisis Core, Kingsom Hearts, and Type-0.

It's actually much shorter to list what still exists on handheld as of the last two years than what they trashed.

Between continuing Theatrhytm, Final Fantasy Explorers, and Bravely Second, if this is also a completely normal handheld game, it would suggest they've started up their mid-tier handheld output again to some degree.

Basically at some point things shift from being pattern breakers to being a pattern. A traditional SaGa has no notable ties to a mega selling product nor s large scale digital revenue component like a music game. It would be exactly the kind of low margin, low aspiration product I argued they dumped on the last page if it's a traditional SaGa game.

Thank you for elaboration. Wasn't new CEO saying they'll put a little more focus on consoles (which include handhelds also) ?

So tell me who thought that PS Nova would be "the most important Vita title ever" after gameplay was actually shown.

Tbh I don't know much about PS series but I thought it would be Vita's best selling title until we got pre-order numbers and stuff like that.

If it helps, the budget ranges they list are like $1.5-$3 million for small vs $8.5 million for medium.

Think like the difference between GBIKE/Theatrhythm vs something like Bravely Default.

I guess those are too low for console jrpgs. Though I remember Dragons Crown only having a budget of $1 million....sooo Valkyrie Profile 3 anyone :p

Not sure how much a mid sized jrpg would cost on home consoles: something on the scale of Persona 5 or Tales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
So tell me who thought that PS Nova would be "the most important Vita title ever" after gameplay was actually shown.

Most important I don't know but best selling Vita game I can find many if I start digging old threads. I was on that train until a few months ago.

duckroll

So far for 2014 I feel that Matsuda has been all talk and very little actual tangible results from his talking. But he seems to realize that too, because in the recent interview he said that from next year we'll finally start to see titles which came about under his leadership. It'll be interesting to see what sort of year 2015 will be for Square Enix both in terms of product releases and in announcements.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Big range at YSO predictions for Shin Uchi (again) next week

Week 51, 2014 (Dec 15 - Dec 21)

1. Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi (wk2) > 300k (the very low limit, many predictions reach half million)
2. Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (wk5) >= 200k
3. Final Fantasy Explorers (wk1) >= 150k

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thank you for elaboration. Wasn't new CEO saying they'll put a little more focus on consoles (which include handhelds also) ?
Matsuda's true opinions are a bit hard to parse because if you put together all his statements about Square Enix's strategies, usually made at the same time, it boils down to "We will do absolutely everything and be everywhere."

For example, they currently have:

1.) Two separate cloud gaming services (Dive-In and Shin-Ra), with a previous cancelled one called Core Online.
2.) A kickstarter publishing arm.
3.) Six AAA console games (FF15, KH3, TR10, Hitman 6, DE4, JC3).
4.) Four handheld games (BS, TDQ, SaGa, FFEX).
5.) A mid-tier console game (DQH).
6.) Two new MMOs (FF15, DQ10) plus one old one that i can't remember if it still gets expacs (FF11).
7.) About 5+ upcoming larger production value f2p mobile games with more announced each month.
8.) A variety of PC f2p online games (Nosgoth, Triad Wars, Gods and Generals).
9.) Premium digital download titles like Lara Croft TOO or Chaos Rings III which just released.
10.) A sea of ports and remasters.
11.) Apparently they're still doing browser games too (SaGa browser was also announced).

For a company their size, they're all over the place.

However, one mostly common aspect was they stopped shipping games that didn't have either strong digital components or would sell like 350-400K+ in the mid-tier or 2-3+ million for bigger titles, at least intentionally.

Like Namco has sold ~3.3 million units this year, but it's across 51 titles selling an average of 60K, so that each drop in the bucket adds up to a lot.

Square was a company about selling vastly less games and having each sell a lot more. If SaGa is a traditional game and on Vita, it doesn't seem likely to fit the retail game pattern.

duckroll

Most important I don't know but best selling Vita game I can find many if I start digging old threads. I was on that train until a few months ago.

I think that's fair, but what I'm making fun of is Pennywise's habit of declaring something "the most important blahblah" every other time. Lol.

I think that's fair, but what I'm making fun of is Pennywise's habit of declaring something "the most important blahblah" every other time. Lol.

That's my most common mistake :)

Big range at YSO predictions for Shin Uchi (again) next week

Week 51, 2014 (Dec 15 - Dec 21)

1. Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi (wk2) > 300k (the very low limit, many predictions reach half million)
2. Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (wk5) >= 200k
3. Final Fantasy Explorers (wk1) >= 150k

Holiday season and stock issues will drive sales in opposite directions.

small44

I wouldn't say that. The SaGa games for DS never made it passed 200k, and 2 and 3 tanked hardcore (I don't even think the third one made it past 100k). And this was for the all and powerful DS.

People are really overestimating the power of SaGa.

A lot of series does better on psp then ds so it has big chance to outsell DS saga games

Top Bottom