• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2014 (Dec 01 - Dec 07)

L~A

So... kinda called it.

Advance tickets purchase for the Youkai Watch movie now past 1m. This is just getting crazy... then again, it's Youkai Watch.

Still 5 days until the movie comes out (Dec. 20).

duckroll

DS SaGa games were cheap remakes; the first one didn't do so bad; the second one was released to late in DS lifecycle.

I don't think being a cheap remake is even the biggest factor here. Bravely Default is also pretty cheap and it did really well. I think that remaking those two SaGa games, rather than the other two Romancing SaGa games, were probably more of a factor.

I don't think being a cheap remake is even the biggest factor here. Bravely Default is also pretty cheap and it did really well. I think that remaking those two SaGa games, rather than the other two Romancing SaGa games, were probably more of a factor.

This also was a factor.

Well, IIRC SQEX didn't put much effort in those two games; the second one was almost stealthily released.

crinale

This also was a factor.

Well, IIRC SQEX didn't put much effort in those two games; the second one was almost stealthily released.

Saga2 GoD was a complete remake and so was 3.
The reason 3 bombed was the original GB version wasn't received well, while 2 is still regarded as legendary figure.
(GB Saga3 was completely outsourced to another team and isn't even mentioned in Kawazu's resume.)

duckroll

Saga2 GoD was a complete remake and so was 3.
The reason 3 bombed was the original GB version wasn't received well, while 2 is still regarded as legendary figure.
(GB Saga3 was completely outsourced to another team and isn't even mentioned in Kawazu's resume.)

Don't be so mean to the old Square Osaka team. They also made Rudra's Treasure right?!

crinale

Don't be so mean to the old Square Osaka team. They also made Rudra's Treasure right?!

They are good I agree. All they failed to do was make Saga3 "edgy" enough lol.

Edit: And, the fact Saga3 being more tame led to its lukewarm reception proves that Saga is indeed a niche IP.

Road

So were either Deus Ex's engine or FF7 actually Square Enix's console game for December?

I guess handhelds are technically handheld consoles so it could be TDQ or this.

It is Saga 2015 (unless SE had two games to announce).

The interview had "家庭用ゲーム" (literally, "games to be used in homes", as opposed to "業務用ゲーム", games to be used for business -- arcades). The commonly used English translation is "consumer games". It means both dedicated portable and home console video games (and sometimes PC as well).

Now people got lost in translation, between those who like to use "consoles" only for home and those who use console for both portables and home.

If someone wants to mean only "home console" in Japanese, they'll most likely use "据え置き型ゲーム" (lit. "games that you put in one place and leave there") or "テレビゲーム" (lit. "tv games"); only "portable console", "携帯型ゲーム" ("games that you carry").

And don't confuse the latter with "携帯電話ゲーム" (lit. "games for telephones that you carry" -- cellphone games). Although, nowadays, "モバイルゲーム" ("mobile game") is the term more used for cellphone (and tablet) games.

td;dr:

家庭用ゲーム = home + portable
据え置き型ゲーム = テレビゲーム = home
携帯型ゲーム = portable
携帯電話ゲーム = cellphone
モバイルゲーム = cellphone + tablet

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It is Saga 2015 (unless SE had two games to announce).

Thanks, that was very informative.

---

Now for an aside, new Square Enix mobile news.

I made a separate thread about this here, but Square Enix put up the translation of the actual presentation for their last fiscal call about a week ago.

That thread won't get much traffic so I'll put some of the important notes here.

Most notably, they talked about some of their mobile successes.

(Transcript Link: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/141106/page05.html )

School Girl Strikers and Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light:

Square Enix said:
“SCHOOLGIRL STRIKERS” was a title developed entirely by our internal development team, which resulted in a huge success and contributed greatly in the Period. This internal development team is comprised mainly of seasoned developers from the PS2 and PS3 era. Having this team succeed in F2P development was a big milestone for the Company. Some people say that developing F2P titles would be a major challenge for console developers, however this success has stimulated our internal development teams and veteran developers, and I believe this was a considerable achievement.
As for smart devices and PC browser games, “DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS SUPER LIGHT” and “SCHOOLGIRL STRIKERS” have constantly ranked in the top 20 of application game sales, making significant contribution to the overall profit.

LOST Zero:

“The Irregular at Magic High School LOST ZERO” was the first hit title that resulted from a joint project between our digital entertainment and publication divisions. As some of our publication titles have high affinity with games for smart devices, the Company will continue to reinforce efforts to further adapt these titles into game space.

Dragon Quest X's Companion App:

We have also seen drastic revenue increase in “DRAGON QUEST X Boukensha no Odekake Benri Tool,” an additive service for MMO “DRAGON QUEST X,” which proved this type of initiative to be quite effective.

Overall Mobile Strategy:

In the current native application market, a single major hit title can strip the market share by the root. On one hand, we aim to develop a smash success, however we also intend to offer quality titles that remain in the top ranks and establish a stable portfolio comprised of games with high profit performance.

Furthermore, device specifications have improved significantly, which means we can offer a wider variety of game types. This is a favorable environment for game companies like us. The Company will utilize its expertise to develop games that no other companies could realize. Such titles will be launched starting in the second half of FY 2015/3.

Browser Gaming Aside:

Marking its 4th anniversary, PC Browser game “SENGOKU IXA” also remains strong.

And finally, Dragon Quest V is currently the 6th highest grossing app on iOS:

dragonquestvsuccess73ply.png

What do you even do in a Pokémon Center?

Comg Time!

Launch Points:

Youkai Watch 2: Shinuchi - 1894pt ( ??? )
Youkai Watch 2 - 1602pt ( 1,281,096 )
Pokémon XY - 2544pt ( 2,096,050 ) [biggest launch]

And to revive the launch x pre-order points discussion:

Youkai Watch 2: Shinuchi - 2477pt (pre-order), 1894pt (launch)

Scum

Matsuda's true opinions are a bit hard to parse because if you put together all his statements about Square Enix's strategies, usually made at the same time, it boils down to "We will do absolutely everything and be everywhere."

For example, they currently have:

1.) Two separate cloud gaming services (Dive-In and Shin-Ra), with a previous cancelled one called Core Online.
2.) A kickstarter publishing arm.
3.) Six AAA console games (FF15, KH3, TR10, Hitman 6, DE4, JC3).
4.) Four handheld games (BS, TDQ, SaGa, FFEX).
5.) A mid-tier console game (DQH).
6.) Two new MMOs (FF15, DQ10) plus one old one that i can't remember if it still gets expacs (FF11).
7.) About 5+ upcoming larger production value f2p mobile games with more announced each month.
8.) A variety of PC f2p online games (Nosgoth, Triad Wars, Gods and Generals).
9.) Premium digital download titles like Lara Croft TOO or Chaos Rings III which just released.
10.) A sea of ports and remasters.
11.) Apparently they're still doing browser games too (SaGa browser was also announced).

For a company their size, they're all over the place.

However, one mostly common aspect was they stopped shipping games that didn't have either strong digital components or would sell like 350-400K+ in the mid-tier or 2-3+ million for bigger titles, at least intentionally.

Like Namco has sold ~3.3 million units this year, but it's across 51 titles selling an average of 60K, so that each drop in the bucket adds up to a lot.

Square was a company about selling vastly less games and having each sell a lot more. If SaGa is a traditional game and on Vita, it doesn't seem likely to fit the retail game pattern.

Fucking hell, SE! Organise yourselves!! D:

hiska-kun

Tsutaya Week 50 2014

01./00. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5)
02./00. [PS3] Shining Resonance <RPG> (Sega)

03./01. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U <FTG> (Nintendo)
04./00. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)
05./02. [3DS] Pokemon Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
06./03. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
07./09. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom)
08./04. [3DS] Derby Stallion Gold <SLG> (Kadokawa Games)
09./15. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo)
10./00. [PS3] Nobunaga's Ambition: Creation with Power-Up Kit <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.584)
11./00. [PS3] Assassin's Creed: Rogue <ACT> (Ubisoft)

12./06. [PSV] Phantasy Star Nova <RPG> (Sega)
13./10. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind - Chain <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft)
14./22. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Honke (Level 5)
15./11. [PS3] Resident Evil HD Remaster <ADV> (Capcom)
16./00. [PS3] Hajime no Ippo the Fighting! <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games)
16./16. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 (Konami)
18./25. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso (Level 5)
19./14. [3DS] Aikatsu! 365-Hi no Idol Days <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
20./08. [PS3] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign <FTG> (Arc System Works)

*Hardware Bundles not included

sörine

Banned
A lot of series does better on psp then ds so it has big chance to outsell DS saga games
If a reasonably budgeted original SaGa can't outsell the DS remakes I think the franchise is going back to f2p/remake hibernation for another decade. A new SaGa should really be shooting for 300k+. If they want to piggyback an established series (say making it Romancing SaGa 4) then even higher.

small44

sörine;143334331 said:
If a reasonably budgeted original SaGa can't outsell the DS remakes I think the franchise is going back to f2p/remake hibernation for another decade. A new SaGa should really be shooting for 300k+. If they want to piggyback an established series (say making it Romancing SaGa 4) then even higher.

The only problem of vita is install base but i think this psv version will do 300k

L~A

Pretty funny how Squeenix thought the Saga audience was on PSV, but FuRyu thought it was on 3DS. Comparison between the two will be useless though, as one game has the Saga name attached to it.

Anyway, FuRyu apparently advertising The Legend of Legacy in trains this week, with a trailer shown in various lines in Tokyo.

duckroll

Pretty funny how Squeenix thought the Saga audience was on PSV, but FuRyu thought it was on 3DS. Comparison between the two will be useless though, as one game has the Saga name attached to it.

Anyway, FuRyu apparently advertising The Legend of Legacy in trains this week, with a trailer shown in various lines in Tokyo.

That's not really how I would see it. I think that FuRyu feels that when launching a new RPG IP with a respectable team, it would be easier for them to get the widest possible audience on the 3DS. That's basically all there is to it, and it's probably accurate looking at the current market.

On the other hand, S-E probably feels that SaGa is a strong enough brand that the core fans will buy it on whatever platform it is on, as long as it is what they want. There hasn't been a new SaGa game since the PS2 after all. Depending on what the game actually is, there could be a number of reasons why it is on the Vita. Without knowing anything about the game though, there's no point making wild guesses.

L~A

That reminds me, weren't they supposed to give us more info about that 3DS game they revealed during the last ND? I remember them saying they'd reveal the name at a later date. Guess it'll be one of the news from Famitsu this week.

Eolz

New Atelier series....are they finally going to make the jump to PS4?

That reminds me, weren't they supposed to give us more info about that 3DS game they revealed during the last ND? I remember them saying they'd reveal the name at a later date. Guess it'll be one of the news from Famitsu this week.

Could be both
although an Atelier Musou would be fun
or Atelier Deception
Dead or Atelier

20141215_middle_300.jpg

Looks like Gust will be announcing something in this week's Famitsu.
https://twitter.com/GustSocialPR/status/544420289937825792

Chronos Materia lives!

... :(

I thought it was just called Atelier Rorona 3DS. It looked pretty much like a downgraded port of that game to me; not sure what else is left to reveal about it.

L~A

GamesMaya

Youkai Watch 2 Shin Uchi still in perfect form, selling in a higher pace than the last entry.

With the holidays and the movie right around the corner, can't say I'm surprised here... well, I am, a bit. I mean, do those people know they're buying the exact same game they bought 5 months ago? :p

Anyway, can't wait for Famitsu report/Level-5 PR tomorrow (hopefully).

With the holidays and the movie right around the corner, can't say I'm surprised here... well, I am, a bit. I mean, do those people know they're buying the exact same game they bought 5 months ago? :p

Anyway, can't wait for Famitsu report/Level-5 PR tomorrow (hopefully).

There might be A LOT of new fans. The IP is still in its growing phase apparently, since each entry is outselling the previous one.

Celine

sörine;143263393 said:
It's worth noting that SaGa 3 wasn't made by Kawazu's SaGa team but by the team that did FF USA/Mystic Quest. I sort of wonder if it's seen as a black sheep by SaGa fans and if that's why it's DS remake did so much worse than SaGa 2 DS?
IMO being released a few months before 3DS came out was the main cause for the sharp fall in sales.

crinale

sörine;143263393 said:
It's worth noting that SaGa 3 wasn't made by Kawazu's SaGa team but by the team that did FF USA/Mystic Quest. I sort of wonder if it's seen as a black sheep by SaGa fans and if that's why it's DS remake did so much worse than SaGa 2 DS?

Kawazu begged his new game to be SNES game after he completed Saga2 for GB, while Square wanted another Saga game for GB, and thus Saga 3 was born. I still remember Saga Frontier teaser banner everywhere in Japanese commuter train stating "from the creator of Saga1, 2, Romancing Saga 1, 2, and 3".
As I said above Saga3 isn't bad game by any means (it is actually good if you ask me) but yes what you are saying is right; it isn't treated as a "Saga" game but more of a general good JRPG. In Kawazu's defense he does have DS version of Saga3 under his resume. Maybe he felt responsible for not completing GB series by his own hand?

BTW there were many other hilarious stuff he has exposed during the last Saga discussion (like Square's year 2000 problem and such) at NicoNico stream.

crinale

Eh, just looked at the blog but I assume the guy really didn't imply YW2 Shinuchi did beat the predecessor.
(What he meant was it broke million copies, and he actually said it may not beat the previous ones).

crinale

Some early magazine scans indicate BlazeBlue and another JoJo game (not the one got release a year ago) is coming to PS4.

zeromcd73

PS4/PS3 - Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Eye of Heaven announced. Will be a 3D fighting game this time. Release date unknown, playable at Jump Festa

PS4/PS3/XBO - Blazblue Chrono Phantasm Extend. Releasing April 23.

Top Bottom