• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2014 (Dec 01 - Dec 07)

No they aren't, there are differences to the main story and to the quests depending on the version you play. In pokemon the core game is identical with the only difference been the monsters you can find.

Sure. I don't know, though, whether the new contents are enough to make YW2 Shin Uchi be a third version.

Isn't DQ9 the best seller ever. None of the YW games are close to it unless you are combinining every version.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd on PSP is the current record holder for best selling 3rd party game on single platform with almost 5m units sold.

Dragon Quest III sold more (like 7m+) but that's across many platforms (NES/SNES/Gameboy/Mobile etc).

Impotaku

Sure. I don't know, though, whether the new contents are enough to make YW2 Shin Uchi be a third version.

Fair enough, unless you have played the games it's not something that people would know. People see several versions & think it's just using the pokemon tactic when in reality level 5 actually tried to make each version have some decent things the others didn't.

Shinuchi was always planned it wasn't a cheap upgrade rushed out, it was always meant to be ganso/honke/shinuchi but it was kept totally secret & not revealed till later, the evidence is in the end sequence of ganso & honke. Masknyan appeared yet there was no way at all to capture him till shinuchi came along, the masked kaima youkai are in ganso & honke but you couldn't befriend them, they also are only available to have in your team in shinuchi. There's a few other youkai that appear but you can't get them till shinuchi.

gtj1092

I´m talking about YW2, with just the first week sales of its third version it´s already at something like 4.2 millions, by the end of the year it will likely be quite close to the 5million mark and over time very likely also top that mark.

So even if you want to count it that way what does YW2 have to do with overall software sales. Seems to me Japan is becoming just like the west a few games doing huge numbers and less overall releases.

RalchAC

Well, another way to do this is look at the Japanese animated media brands that have majorly appealed to kids in the West and start looking at when they were created:

1979: Gundam
1984: Transformers
1985: Dragon Ball
1986: Saint Seiya (more so Europe)
1991: Sailor Moon, Sonic The Hedgehog
1996: Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh
1997: Naruto, Digimon, One Piece (mostly Europe)
1999: Beyblade

I think the closest thing to a recent show would be Bakugan in 2007, which I don't believe is actually anywhere near as popular compared to the others.

Is there something recent I'm forgetting?

If we're talking about aiming to sell something like 200-300K in the West then the comparison is of course very different, but I'm assuming we're talking more about major brands.

Captain Tsubasa was really popular in Spain. It's often brought up in stand-up comedy here. 80s and early 90s kids grew up with that series. Marca (biggest sports newspaper in Spain) gifted Captain Tsubasa t-shirts a while ago.
Doraemon was quite popular too.
And Shin Chan.
Bakugan and Inazuma Eleven were quite popular here among kids too. The later still does decently in Spain I think (at least the games). The former has disapeared.

I think Youkai Watch could actually be really popular cross media brand in the West. Doraemon and Shin Chan were (and still are) quite popular and are really Japanese series. My impressions are that Youkai Watch is kind of a mix between Pokemon and Doraemon / Shin Chan so I think it could work.

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 83,041
PS4 68,041
New3DS 34,676
Wii U 27,334
3DS LL 24,475
Vita 24,039
3DS 14,911
PS3 7,803
Vita TV 974
Xbox One 724
Xbox 360 102
PSP 8

YW2.5: 1 244 000

Media Create:

New3DS LL 83,041
PS4 68,041
New3DS 34,676
Wii U 27,334
3DS LL 24,475
Vita 24,039
3DS 14,911
PS3 7,803
Vita TV 974
Xbox One 724
Xbox 360 102
PSP 8

YW2.5: 1 244 000

Xmas is coming!

PS4 did really good. 3DS at around 150k units.

Takao

Banned
PS4 lives.

Which means DQH's launch week will move considerably less hardware, which is probably a good thing given how jam packed that lineup is.

zeromcd73

PS3 only had a single December week 2 week throughout its life that sold better than PS4 did this year which was 2009 thanks to FFXIII.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
PS4 carburating for 2015: I wonder if thre will still be many people doubting its incoming performances, considering the growing lineup/support guaranteeed 100% by its huge western sales and by it being part of the "playstation ecosystem"

PS4 carburating for 2015: I wonder if thre will still be many people doubting its incoming performances, considering the growing lineup/support guaranteeed 100% by its huge western sales and by it being part of the "playstation ecosystem"

And this from just a week with bundles and holiday season.

Busaiku

PS3 only had a single December week 2 week throughout its life that sold better than PS4 did this year which was 2009 thanks to FFXIII.

Huh, did not remember Holidays being so poor for it.
Heck, even Wii U did better last year (than PS4 last week).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
And this from just a week with bundles and holiday season.

yea, with a western games that sold 85k and a bundles with...a DD code LOL
it responded, greatly for a home console in Japan, without a Japanese lineup at all
Unlike the WIi U with dedicated software like MK8, Smash or Pikmin and on and on...
the difference is pretty clear to me, and looking at the incoming wide and varied and complete third party support, it's pretty clear that also in Japan imho PS4 will be a very solid performer (for home console in that market: I'm not saying that it will top 3DS numbers obviously)

Busaiku

Unlike the WIi U with dedicated software like MK8, Smash or Pikmin and on and on...
the difference is pretty clear to me, and looking at the incoming wide and varied and complete third party support, it's pretty clear that also in Japan imho PS4 will be a very solid performer (for home console in that market: I'm not saying that it will top 3DS numbers obviously)

Well, Wii U was doing better last year than PS4 is this year.

Top Bottom