• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2015 (Jan 26 - Feb 01)

L~A

I did ask that yesterday but was ignored!

Sorry, didn't see your message (and it was at the top of the page, too).

Do you live in Japan?
Do you desperately need 98 Yen?
Do you have Tales of Zestiria for the PS3?
Amazon.co.jp can help you!

sanstitreqrzl1.png

zeromcd73

Do you live in Japan?
I hope that the absolute dreadful reception ToZ has received hasn't killed the chances of its inevitable PS4 complete edition releasing in the future :(

dolemite

The PS4 edition of “Far Cry 4” sold 36 thousand copies, and its digestibility rate was as high as 92.37%, entering at number 2 on the chart.

The PS4 version is the tastiest one of them all.

Nightbird

Do you live in Japan?

Isn't that less than a Dollar/Euro? Insane.

Why exactly has this game been received so negatively?

Oregano

I hope that the absolute dreadful reception ToZ has received hasn't killed the chances of its inevitable PS4 complete edition releasing in the future :(

I imagine they'll make a PS4 version for the West regardless.

However it puts Bamco in a bad spot going forward. They really need a "OMG! It's amazing" Tales to get all the good will back. Not sure if they have it in them.

L~A

However it puts Bamco in a bad spot going forward. They really need a "OMG! It's amazing" Tales to get all the good will back. Not sure if they have it in them.

Easy.

Tales of Zestiria : Dusk of the Old World, where Alisha is the only playable character.

Wii U-only, obviously.

Please don't hurt me.

Well, it has a fanbase that still allows the IP to pull 400k+ units at each entry. Also, the platform change might also raise awareness and sales.

Kyoufu

The issue the fans had with Zestiria wasn't the quality of the game itself (modern Tales games aren't exactly amazing to begin with) but Alisha not being in the whole game.

This is something that can/will be avoided with future entries, so it's not like Namco are worried.

Oregano

Easy.

Tales of Zestiria : Dusk of the Old World, where Alisha is the only playable character.

Wii U-only, obviously.

Please don't hurt me.

If it was a few years ago that would be almost too believable a move. Concentrating on one set of platforms is probably the only good move they've made recently.

Well, it has a fanbase that still allows the IP to pull 400k+ units at each entry. Also, the platform change might also raise awareness and sales.

Well putting out subpar titles is a good way to have that slip away. I'm not suggesting the games are going to start bombing any time soon but it's good to stop the infection before it spreads.

EDIT:
The issue the fans had with Zestiria wasn't the quality of the game itself (modern Tales games aren't exactly amazing to begin with) but Alisha not being in the whole game.

This is something that can/will be avoided with future entries, so it's not like Namco are worried.

But it's not like Zestiria is the only game fans have had issues with. They need to be keeping people onside.

Shengar

Isn't that less than a Dollar/Euro? Insane.

Why exactly has this game been received so negatively?
Waifu wars
To be serious, they push a character to be the main heroine at the initial reveal, to the point giving her a non-scaled pre painted figure with the highest detail of fine craftsmanship from Alter, only to relegated later to almost NPC in the final game.

duckroll

I don't really see the alarm or anything. Why pretend that Tales is a series which hasn't historically had its ups and downs? Look at the sales for all the mainline Tales across 5 year periods. The titles which sell the most tend to be the first new one on Playstation platform, before the sales start to decline again. ToZ on PS3 is far from the worst selling Tales game, and by the time it's done selling, it'll pretty much be above average when compared to the final couple of PS2 Tales.

ToD - 829,618 (PS1, 1997)
ToP - 550,394 (PS1, 1998)
ToE - 669,248 (PS1, 2000)

ToD2 - 762,861 (PS2, 2002)
ToS - 322,779 (GC, 2003)
ToS - 394,312 (PS2, 2004)
ToR - 596,493 (PS2, 2004)
TotA - 556,465 (PS2, 2005)
ToL - 342,779 (PS2, 2005)

ToD - 367,998 (PS2, 2006)
ToH - 261,751 (DS, 2008)
ToV - 204,305 (360, 2008)
ToG - 212,769 (Wii, 2009)
ToV - 408,171 (PS3, 2009)
ToG - 338,628 (PS3, 2010)

ToX - 670,182 (PS3, 2011)
ToX2 - 459,384 (PS3, 2012)
ToZ - 346,430 (PS3, 2015) <-- Still selling

Oregano

I don't really see the alarm or anything. Why pretend that Tales is a series which hasn't historically had its ups and downs? Look at the sales for all the mainline Tales across 5 year periods. The titles which sell the most tend to be the first new one on Playstation platform, before the sales start to decline again. ToZ on PS3 is far from the worst selling Tales game, and by the time it's done selling, it'll pretty much be above average when compared to the final couple of PS2 Tales.

Yeah that's very true. It's possible the first true PS4 game will reverse the trend. I've only played a handful of Tales games though and it seems Vesperia was the last one which was well loved. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I think the next one needs to hit the right chords.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel Tales on PS3 benefited a lot from the general lack of competition for console JRPGs.

I guess that's still true, but these days they have the problem of a lack of consoles to sell the game on.

Or, to put it another way, they have to do a lot more of the "sell people on the platform" lifting themselves.

monpiece

Banned
I assume expectations for the Vita Samurai game are higher than the PS3 version?

I've not heard much about those games.

I assume they are mostly the same (i.e. bomba), since very little has been said of those games, there was no hype at all.

duckroll

I feel Tales on PS3 benefited a lot from the general lack of competition for console JRPGs.

I guess that's still true, but these days they have the problem of a lack of consoles to sell the game on.

Or, to put it another way, they have to do a lot more of the "sell people on the platform" lifting themselves.

Right, if Tales fails to take off in the future, it will be because the PS4 fails to take off in Japan. If the entire console market for core games starts to collapse, then it would be hard to see where Tales can find a platform which can support a >500k release of any kind.

I don't see Tales as a franchise which really sells people on a platform though, I feel it is the reverse - Tales games sell best on platforms when the people who are likely to buy it already play that platform regularly. There isn't really a major shortage of games who will attempt to do the heavy lifting for the PS4 in Japan - DQ, FF, MGS, Yakuza, Persona, RE, etc are all on board. The only question is whether they will succeed. If they do, there's nothing Tales has to worry about. If they don't, then nothing Tales will do can change that.

Oregano

I'm not actually sure that's going to be an issue. PS4 has/is going to have Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Persona and Dragon Quest. That could offset the general lower demand for consoles.

I think a good parallel for what I'm talking about is Zelda. Every game is pretty good but they all have issues that put fans off and they have to try to fix them with the next release. Some entries buck the trend every now and then but it's been a longterm decline.

I assume they are mostly the same (i.e. bomba), since very little has been said of those games, there was no hype at all.

Some people mentioned you get a code for the PS3 game for free with the Vita game(or something like that) so there was a good chance it would do better?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Right, if Tales fails to take off in the future, it will be because the PS4 fails to take off in Japan. If the entire console market for core games starts to collapse, then it would be hard to see where Tales can find a platform which can support a >500k release of any kind.

I don't see Tales as a franchise which really sells people on a platform though, I feel it is the reverse - Tales games sell best on platforms when the people who are likely to buy it already play that platform regularly. There isn't really a major shortage of games who will attempt to do the heavy lifting for the PS4 in Japan - DQ, FF, MGS, Yakuza, Persona, RE, etc are all on board. The only question is whether they will succeed. If they do, there's nothing Tales has to worry about. If they don't, then nothing Tales will do can change that.

Well, the other way to look at this is that Tales would have to be incredibly impressive to try and succeed in that kind of environment by getting a very high attach rate.

But I think that conceptually isn't going to be worthwhile for them since why would you invest so much against a business opportunity that has fundamentally failed, especially when your game is unlikely to succeed overseas.

When Capcom dumps $50 million into Resident Evil 7, even if they sell zero copies in Japan, there's a huge payoff opportunity abroad. I don't think Tales could ever get into that space while still being Tales as we think of it today.

If consoles do manage to dig enough of a pit that they're completely nonviable, then it might make sense to try and invest in reinventing the franchise to be stronger on either portable or mobile devices.

monpiece

Banned
I'm not actually sure that's going to be an issue. PS4 has/is going to have Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Persona and Dragon Quest. That could offset the general lower demand for consoles.

I think a good parallel for what I'm talking about is Zelda. Every game is pretty good but they all have issues that put fans off and they have to try to fix them with the next release. Some entries buck the trend every now and then but it's been a longterm decline.

I have the same feeling. I feel that Namco is not doing any favors to Tales with each successive blunder. It is not like the fanbase for their games, or even console games, is expanding, so I believe that it will become harder and harder to recover the angry fans that stop following the franchise.

Some people mentioned you get a code for the PS3 game for free with the Vita game(or something like that) so there was a good chance it would do better?

Well, I haven't read anything about the free code, but I expect that even if the game does better than the PS3 game, it will be bomba tier. It is a sad situation for Spike Chunsoft.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
gotta ask to mpl90, he is the man for comgnet archives comparisons

but he usually does that just for nintendo titles
:p

Are you really sure about that? Really, really sure? I mean, 100% sure? Eh, good thing that all the times I posted Comgnet comparisons for Sony titles have been ignored, then.

Oregano

Well, I haven't read anything about the free code, but I expect that even if the game does better than the PS3 game, it will be bomba tier. It is a sad situation for Spike Chunsoft.

Kind of feel sorry for them, they haven't had much success outside of Danganronpa recently.

L~A

Kind of feel sorry for them, they haven't had much success outside of Danganronpa recently.

Virtue's Last Reward... Well, it did sell well in the West, but in Japan...

Are you really sure about that? Really, really sure? I mean, 100% sure? Eh, good thing that all the times I posted Comgnet comparisons for Sony titles have been ignored, then.

I guess he missed your minute by minute report of PlayStation 4 stock situation at launch :D

sörine

Banned
Shiren used to be big for them but it's really gone down the drain. Too many low budget sequels and ports in too short a time I guess.

Their biggest moneymakers now are probably contracted development (Mystery Dungeon, Fossil Fighters, etc).

kewlmyc

Do you live in Japan?

The lower the amount, the more people have traded it in previously, so it makes you wonder how many used copies Amazon has right now.

Oregano

Virtue's Last Reward... Well, it did sell well in the West, but in Japan...

Well there's a lot of doubt about a third one being made so it's not great.

sörine;151602068 said:
Shiren used to be big for them but it's really gone down the drain. Too many low budget sequels and ports in too short a time I guess.

Their biggest moneymakers now are probably contracted development (Mystery Dungeon, Fossil Fighters, etc).

I didn't know they developed Fossil Fighters. They had nothing to do with the DS one(s) right?

Attack on Titan sold 300k + 70k with the expansion.

The most popular anime IP only doing that much on that big of a userbase? Sounds like a bomb to me.

I forgot Attack on Titan was theirs, that was a great result.

EDIT:
tri-Ace's newest masterpiece could be doing better:

On the plus side, Konami's mobile sports titles all seem to be on a strong upswing. So does their gangster one.

Now Tri-Ace, there's a developer who really can't catch a break.

gotta ask to mpl90, he is the man for comgnet archives comparisons

but he usually does that just for nintendo titles
:p

As much as mpl like comg this is so far off base. Also what is going on with people feeling like they have to talk the others preferences in systems when it has no relevance

Kikujiro

tri-Ace's newest masterpiece could be doing better:

On the plus side, Konami's mobile sports titles all seem to be on a strong upswing. So does their gangster one.

I'm playing Resonance of Fate and it's pretty cool, so sad to see Tri-Ace doing nothing new on console.

L~A

Spike Chunsoft publishes Terraria in Japan. The PS Vita and PS3 versions have combined to sell over 400k over there.

They'll be okay.

Makes me wonder if they'll publish the Wii U/3DS versions in Japan too. Well, the 3DS version at least should be profitable venture.

Well there's a lot of doubt about a third one being made so it's not great.

Uchikoshi already explained it was the crappy sales in Japan that blocked things. Probably wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't gone overboard with multiplat and full VA for the novel sections (there's a sh*tload of voiced text in that game, and from well-known VAs too!).

And since they go through a publisher for the West, that means less revenue for them... It's a shame really.

About Attack on Titan, I wonder when the hell Atlus is gonna make their localisation announcement?

The most popular anime IP only doing that much on that big of a userbase? Sounds like a bomb to me.

I forgot Attack on Titan was theirs, that was a great result.

Indeed. And it was also supply constrained during holidays; it could have reached even more with the original release.

Takao

Banned
Makes me wonder if they'll publish the Wii U/3DS versions in Japan too. Well, the 3DS version at least should be profitable venture.

I believe they just published the PS4 version in Japan, so if 3DS/Wii U Terraria exists, I'm sure it'll come over. Maybe digital-only for the latter, though.

Top Bottom