• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2015 (Feb 02 - Feb 08)

Nyoro SF

WIxdWYT.jpg

Sorry if this has been posted, but Makai Shin Trillion has a interesting way to encourage people to pre-order the game.
http://www.compileheart.com/trillion/campaign/

The yellow bar on the left is the amount of pre-orders (updated weekly). As more pre-orders come in, it will grow and gain ranks. Gaining ranks will unlock DLCs and other stuff which will be given out for free. The funny thing is, it also shows whether the game is making a loss or profit based on the current level of pre-orders. Ranks D, C and B are the "loss" levels. Rank A is "recoup ~ profit" level, and finally Rank S is "super profit" level.

Steam has offered a similar system for a while for those who want to use it for preorders but it's pretty rarely utilized.

Shizuka

WIxdWYT.jpg

Sorry if this has been posted, but Makai Shin Trillion has a interesting way to encourage people to pre-order the game.

The yellow bar on the left is the amount of pre-orders (updated weekly). As more pre-orders come in, it will grow and gain ranks. Gaining ranks will unlock DLCs and other stuff which will be given out for free. The funny thing is, it also shows whether the game is making a loss or profit based on the current level of pre-orders. Ranks D, C and B are the "loss" levels. Rank A is "recoup ~ profit" level, and finally Rank S is "super profit" level.

Didn't Namco do it with Digimon?

mankoto

WIxdWYT.jpg

Digimon Cyber Sleuth did the same thing but not to that extent

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
On the Arc System Works note, how did their downloadable 3DS and Vita games turn out?

If they're doing this kind of contract work, I wonder if that side business is dead.

small44

Close to sell out? I'm assuming they shipped around 30k so maybe 20k+ is the sell through.

Still terrible for a new game releasing across 3 platforms.

Musou games have done terrible in Japan on PS4. No wonder Koei are holding back from a true PS4 game. (Like a number of companies)

It is a revised edition of Samurai Warriors 4 what do you expect

Wuh-oh, it looks like Arc System Works being on EXTREME Butoden was a mistranslation. Not sure if I can link it (SOMEHOW the thread had linked an article with a scan... my head hurts), but someone who commonly fully translates Jump scans has verified no such mention exists.

Siliconera claimed they're behind it, so... grab your torches and pitchforks? :p

duckroll

Wuh-oh, it looks like Arc System Works being on EXTREME Butoden was a mistranslation. Not sure if I can link it (SOMEHOW the thread had linked an article with a scan... my head hurts), but someone who commonly fully translates Jump scans has verified no such mention exists.

Siliconera claimed they're behind it, so... grab your torches and pitchforks? :p

It's not a mistranslation. It's right there on the bottom of the page. It clearly says "Developed by Arc System Works who are well known in the world of fighting games".

Vena

Close to sell out? I'm assuming they shipped around 30k so maybe 20k+ is the sell through.

Musou games have done terrible in Japan on PS4. No wonder Koei are holding back from a true PS4 game. (Like a number of companies)

I'm going to be curious how new releases of the musou genre stack up against DQH and HyWa. I honestly think that the mainline has achieved very serious fatigue while the spin-offs are also catching up after a title or two wears off the novelty of seeing Luffy punch a Gundam in the face with Ganondorf's gloves.

It's not a mistranslation. It's right there on the bottom of the page. It clearly says "Developed by Arc System Works who are well known in the world of fighting games".

Yep! You're right! After mao2 said to look in the pink box, I Googled their JP name, looked, and saw it in the box, I showed it to him, and he rechecked again, sure enough, it's there and he'll fix it.

Thanks Duckroll. :)

ZhugeEX

Banned
It is a revised edition of Samurai Warriors 4 what do you expect

My point was more about difference between sales on PS3 Vs PS4. A lot of western games seem to do better on PS4 in Japan but Japanese games do better on PS3.

It's understandable why but SW4-II is releasing on ps4/ps3 simultaneously yet PS4 version is still doing crap.

I'm going to be curious how new releases of the musou genre stack up against DQH and HyWa. I honestly think that the mainline has achieved very serious fatigue while the spin-offs are also catching up after a title or two wears off the novelty of seeing Luffy punch a Gundam in the face with Ganondorf's gloves.

This is why they keep doing new collaboration games.

Takao

Banned
This is entirely speculation, since we know so little about the game and it's so early, but my gut instinct is that expecting 200k from Ultimate Butouden is unreasonable. I think 150k is pretty possible, but not certain.

Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapter will be over by the time the game launches. Revival of F's theatrical run will have ended, or will be coming to an end shortly after. There won't be a direct promotional wave for the game to ride. Sure, I expect any new major characters/transformations from ROF to be in the game, but they'll have likely already been in Heroes, Zenkai Battle Royale, Dokkan Battle and/or Xenoverse by then. They won't be major selling points anymore.

Then you look at the last few handheld DBZ fighters and you'll find <100k sales. Some might argue that the DS was dead by the time UB came out and that's why I expect a rebound, but not +100k. The recent One Piece 2D fighter on 3DS hasn't done so hot either, though they're obviously different games and IPs. It did launch during the holiday season, which was both a positive and a negative (thanks to Smash).

On the bright side, ASW's Supersonic Warriors series did sell very well, but that was 10 years ago when most DB games sold large amounts in Japan ...

ASW makes sense if BN wanted someone with experience on the IP. BoZ wasn't huge and they likely couldn't downscale those assets to 3DS, so no Artdink. Spike Chunsoft has kind of wrecked their name with Dragon Ball fandom. Dimps is uber busy. Game Republic is dead. GameArts is Gungho's property now. Monolithsoft is also busy. That only leaves ASW for something substantial.

small44

My point was more about difference between sales on PS3 Vs PS4. A lot of western games seem to do better on PS4 in Japan but Japanese games do better on PS3.

It's understandable why but SW4-II is releasing on ps4/ps3 simultaneously yet PS4 version is still doing crap.

This is why they keep doing new collaboration games.
You didn't talk about ps4 version only

You said

monpiece

Banned
WIxdWYT.jpg

Well, looks like they are over the mega-bomba tier already.

That is good because the game has an intetesting and original premise.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You didn't talk about ps4 version only

You said

I did, my 30k thing was about PS4, then I said it did terrible despite being on 3 different platforms (Because PS3 sold the most yet PS Vita and PS4 sold much less) and then went on to talk about how the PS4 version did just as bad as other musou games.

sörine

Banned
On the Arc System Works note, how did their downloadable 3DS and Vita games turn out?

If they're doing this kind of contract work, I wonder if that side business is dead.
ASW's always done side contract work. I'm not sure if this really has much bearing, they also made a bunch of licensed fighters in previous gens (DBZ, Persona, Basara, FOTNS, technically Guilty Gear too).

They've still been doing eShop/VC and PSN downloadables recently though, including some western localizations even (The Keep, Shin'en's stuff, etc).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Which is why I find it frustrating that the Wii U is typically ignored in this equation for them. Hyrule clearly did better than the Musou titles on PS4, even if it was because of Zelda. I can't imagine a Wii U SKU doing much worse than the Vita SKU, but I realize it's extra work over PS4/PS3/PSV.

Actually, I forgot about the Ultimate Mission card games on the 3DS. Those did really well, but there was also a decline from almost 300k for the first title to about 150k on the sequel. So it'll be interesting to see how a more traditional sort of DBZ game does on the 3DS.

3DS Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 70,832 184,559 Bandai Namco 2014-08-07

I'd say it's likely closer to 200K now. Also, the game actually had decent legs thus far, so I could see it reaching 200K eventually.

test_account

XP-39C²
Which is why I find it frustrating that the Wii U is typically ignored in this equation for them. Hyrule clearly did better than the Musou titles on PS4, even if it was because of Zelda. I can't imagine a Wii U SKU doing much worse than the Vita SKU, but I realize it's extra work over PS4/PS3/PSV.
I think it being an exclusive title and also being a brand new game (not just an enhanced version) are also reasons. I dont think that the PS4 have had a musou game with the similar condition, in comparision. But yeah, it would be interesting to see how a WiiU version of a multiplatform musou game would have sold now that Hyrule Warriors have been released.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Source is App Annie. I'll be making a full thread later.

6_zps88934c70.jpg

7_zpsc8975671.jpg

I noticed Namco tends to have a ton of chartings apps, though none near the top, so they seem to have the same kind of performance in mobile (tons of drops in the bucket adding up) that they do in the dedicated space.

Sega's performance also shows a good part of why they're moving toward mobile more over time.

However, this year so far I get the sense Sega is down a bit and Square Enix is moving higher, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the chart positions shake up a bit for 2015.

Thanks for posting this btw. It's quite helpful.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I noticed Namco tends to have a ton of chartings apps, though none near the top, so they seem to have the same kind of performance in mobile (tons of drops in the bucket adding up) that they do in the dedicated space.

Sega's performance also shows a good part of why they're moving toward mobile more over time.

However, this year so far I get the sense Sega is down a bit and Square Enix is moving higher, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the chart positions shake up a bit for 2015.

Thanks for posting this btw. It's quite helpful.

Japan is the largest market in terms of revenue for iOS and second largest for Google Play. So it's clear that mobile is where it's at as we've known for a while and everyone wants a piece of that pie, and for now it doesn't matter if you release 10 mediocre games or 1 good game as you'll still get a piece of that pie.

Of course we've seen how certain games (P&D) can really just take over and that's what a lot of companies are aiming for these days. All it takes is one hit game. Even Koei Tecmo, a publisher who don't have a huge presence on mobile at all have set their number one priority (yes number 1!!!!) to create a hit smartphone game. They released 3 smartphone games at the end of last year in order to test the waters and so far they seem to be doing ok.

Here is the full thread for anyone interested btw.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994076

duckroll

The next month or so is going to be a huge test for the PS4 in Japan. Sony would do well to push marketing as hard as they can.

Microsoft Japan is gonna push its system !!!!

From March 19 they will make a Xbox
bundle with
Halo
4, a headset and 1 month Live Gold membership

it would be fun if Xbox
sell more than
XB1
on that week...

L~A

Today is a national holiday too. Numbers are delayed.

I'm joking xD

You won't trick me! I know there isn't anything until March 20 :p

Thanks Wikipedia.

Really curious about this week numbers, especially Zelda and the 3DS (after that retailer comment).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I would expect the game to sell round that much....so yeah around 250k, seems about right.

Top Bottom