• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2015 (Feb 23 - Mar 01)

Eolz

I can see Bloodborne doing less than 190k FW easily.
LTD is hard to say, it might have good legs if there's no sequels (like Demon Souls).

If Bloodborne were to sell worse than Soul Sacrifice in Japan I don't know if I'd laugh or cry. Maybe a laugh so hard it brought me to tears?

It's not that Souls games were selling much better. Also, PS4 installed base is small. Bloodborne is aimed at Western markets, though.

Takao

Banned
I'd bet everything I have that Bloodborne will sell more than 300k ltd

I can see that after The Best version has been around for a while.

While it is the first notable Japanese PS4 exclusive, 300k LTD would only put it back 50k from Dark Souls II, and I don't think PS4 can deliver that right now.

wrong

SS 190k
DS : 370k
DS2 : 360k

If you're going to add Scholar of the First Sin to DSII, you might as well add Prepare to Die Edition to the first, which bumps it up to 460k.

Demon's Souls did 314k.

Kandinsky

While it is the first notable Japanese PS4 exclusive, 300k LTD would only put it back 50k from Dark Souls II, and I don't think PS4 can deliver that right now.

I honestly believe userbase is going to be irrelevant in this case.

Takao

Banned
Given how quickly people bounced from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls, I doubt lacking the "brand" will hurt Bloodborne any, lol.

Takao

Banned
So Game Data Museum switched to a top 50 of the current gen platforms or is there a way to view the old list?

On a related note, anyone else unable to get JapanLTDRanking to run on Firefox? I just tried it in Chrome and it works, but on Firefox the chart never loads.

Prelude.

On a related note, anyone else unable to get JapanLTDRanking to run on Firefox? I just tried it in Chrome and it works, but on Firefox the chart never loads.
It's working fine here (37 beta), maybe check if some extension is blocking it.

wrong

SS 190k
DS : 370k
DS2 : 360k

Just for the sake of accuracy, since it looks like you're using MC don't forget the double pack that released day 1:

[PSV] Soul Sacrifice: "United Front" Double Pack <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥7.980) - 22.050 / 30.314

I got the LTD numbers (I believe it's the one circled, number 262 but i could easily be wrong) thanks to Hiska: http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/h...D-488F-8071-C5526727D105_zpsmb5s0iuy.jpg.html

So that's 220k or 250k depending on how you count the double pack.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

If full priced version tops 250K LTD I'll be surprised.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So what are people expecting for DQH week 2?

I'm expecting:
90k / 415k for PS3
55k / 325k for PS4

LTD I'm expecting around 900k in Japan with PS3 Retail + Digital, PS4 Retail + Digital and PS4 bundle.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Tsutaya's Ranking Week 10 2015

01./01. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: The Darkness Dragon and the Castle of the World Tree <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./00. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Atlus)
03./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes: The Darkness Dragon and the Castle of the World Tree <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./03. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
05./04. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Nintendo)
06./00. [3DS] New Prince of Tennis: Go to the Top <ADV> (FuRyu)
07./00. [PS4] Evolve <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)

08./06. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5)
09./00. [3DS] LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins <ADV> (Nintendo)
10./07. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
11./05. [3DS] Nanatsu no Taizai: The Seven Deadly Sins - Unjust Sin <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games)
12./11. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo)
13./12. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate <ACT> (Capcom)
14./08. [PS4] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
15./14. [3DS] Pokemon Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
16./15. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
17./09. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4-II <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
18./00. [PS3] Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundoukai All-Star Special <ACT> (Arc System Works)
19./22. [PS3] Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin <RPG> (From Software)
20./00. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita no Uchuu Eiyuuki <ADV> (FuRyu)

Is it possible that Lego City 3DS might have a worse opening week than the Wii U one? Interesting...

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Is it? They took their time bringing that one to Japan, and the handheld Lego games aren't exactly of the highest of qualities.

I guess, but for some reason Lego City Undercover did really well in Japan. If the 3DS version sells a lot worse, I'll be even more confused why the Wii U one did well...

As I just said in the other thread, is it likely Sega might buy them? I guess it depends if whether duckroll is right on in that they're finishing it themselves and if IE even still even a company period to buy.

Takao

Banned
As I just said in the other thread, is it likely Sega might buy them? I guess it depends if whether duckroll is right on in that they're finishing it themselves and if IE even still even a company period to buy.

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but there's not much to gain by buying Imageepoch. They own no notable IPs, have lost a significant amount of talent and have only been trending downwards.

Aki-at

They still have the cash reserves.

They won't use it to buy them though, there isn't anything of worth to get out of ImageEpoch and would be a very unlike SEGA move. All their purchases have either been to obtain sucessful IPs (Total War, Persona, Football Manager etc.) or strengthen their areas of growth (Three Rings, Relic.) the only one they purchased who had no IPs of their own was Secret Level which was a complete disaster.

300k first week for Bloodborne on the PS4's current install base seems v ambitious to me?

Edit: Oh, people talking about LTD. That makes muuuch more sense. WHat's FW prediction; ~100k?

L~A

So yeah, Etrian Mystery Dungeon is really supply-constrained, Atlus even apologised for the shortages. Guess the game was way more successful than they expected.

B_uRQ5rVAAAN7BR.jpg:large

Source

And wow at Stella Glow. Maybe I should say The Last Guardian is pretty much dead at this point, and the next day, Sony re-veals the game with actual release date, ha ha ha.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So yeah, Etrian Mystery Dungeon is really supply-constrained, Atlus even apologised for the shortages. Guess the game was way more successful than they expected.

Source

And wow at Stella Glow. Maybe I should say The Last Guardian is pretty much dead at this point, and the next day, Sony re-veals the game with actual release date, ha ha ha.

what have I missed abot Stella glow?
Btw, Etrian seems a solid franchise nowadays.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201503/10073583.html

Sega is a new publisher so I'm really wondering what happened to Imageepoch..

Edit: There's a thread about this btw.

Nice. Perhaps the game will have more visibility now.

Looks like a Vita game ;)

If this had been a PSV game, the girl would have been in a completely different position (something ala Moero Chronicles - NSFW, really), with a suffering / dreaming expression on her face (something ala Oedo Blacksmith) and red cheeks.

duckroll

So what are people expecting for DQH week 2?

I'm expecting:
90k / 415k for PS3
55k / 325k for PS4

LTD I'm expecting around 900k in Japan with PS3 Retail + Digital, PS4 Retail + Digital and PS4 bundle.

Seems kinda high don't you think? I think something like 65k PS3 30k PS4 seems more likely?

As I've just posted in the Stella Glow thread, where does Imageepoch go from here now? I presume they must've been having trouble if they couldn't finish their mostly-done self-published game at this point, so maybe no more of that.

Is it possible they can start getting work from publishers again?

Nice. Perhaps the game will have more visibility now.

If this had been a PSV game, the girl would have been in a completely different position (something ala Moero Chronicles - NSFW, really), with a suffering / dreaming expression on her face (something ala Oedo Blacksmith) and red cheeks.

Oh yes the ass sticking out position.....reminds me a bit of the promo stuff from Luminous Arc 2....which is weirdly not a Vita game ;)

NSFW
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/04/luminous-arc-2-loves-big-butts-and-it-cannot-lie/

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Oh yes the ass sticking out position.....reminds me a bit of the promo stuff from Luminous Arc 2....which is weirdly not a Vita game ;)

NSFW
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/04/luminous-arc-2-loves-big-butts-and-it-cannot-lie/

are you seriously denying the "otaku"* demographic present on Vita? because I think that's the main reason why we see many project on that platform imho, equalizing the 3DS and Vita target age?
Or did I miss something "against" Pennywise?

*sorry if this is not the best term.

small44

Typo-0 bombing...I suppose that was expected since the game was actually available in Japan but it's weird that the FF XV demo is not doing much. Is Type-0 HD full priced in Japan too?

Also Bloodbourne is also not doing too well.

These comg preorders do not paint a nice picture regarding Japanese gamers wanting to play on the consoles.
I hope this mean we will get a psv version

Takao

Banned
My Stella Glow jab was at the idea of Luminous Arc Infinity having been drastically redesigned from franchise norms to target Vita's perv audience. I've argued that the series has always used sex to sell - no matter the platform, and low and behold, the spiritual successor from the original development studio is doing just that, but on 3DS.

There are plenty of boob games and erotic visual novels on Vita, but they're basically white noise. With the exception of Senran Kagura, none of them sell any large amount of units. Minecraft and Terraria on Vita in Japan have sold more than that. If you're going to go for a stereotype on the entire Vita userbase, go with hunting action games. At least those sell.

Oh and Pennywise, let's not try to pretend that perv games started with Vita. They've been around forever, and Luminous Arc could've easily used skin to sell UMDs on PSP or PS2.

Meanwhile, Level-5 has trademarked Megaton-Ky&#363; Musash. Might it be the company's next multimedia franchise?

It's really weird how silent Level-5 has been lately. My idea is that Hino is trying to re-organize the company in the light of YW's success. Of course, they're developing a new entry in the series (and perhaps some spin-off?), but it'd be interesting to know whether they have further plans for Layton (Layton 7, lol) and the other IPs. Ushiro is getting book adaptions and a gaming revival might be likely. Hino also stated they wanted to create a franchise off to Fantasy Life, which would be reasonable given how well the first one has sold in Japan (300k, plus 70k of the expansion). LBX is probably dead, but IE was still pulling +280k sales so it might still be exploited somehow.

My Stella Glow jab was at the idea of Luminous Arc Infinity having been drastically redesigned from franchise norms to target Vita's perv audience. I've argued that the series has always used sex to sell - no matter the platform, and low and behold, the spiritual successor from the original development studio is doing just that, but on 3DS.

There are plenty of boob games and erotic visual novels on Vita, but they're basically white noise. With the exception of Senran Kagura, none of them sell any large amount of units. Minecraft and Terraria on Vita in Japan have sold more than that. If you're going to go for a stereotype on the entire Vita userbase, go with hunting action games. At least those sell.

Oh and Pennywise, let's not try to pretend that perv games started with Vita. They've been around forever, and Luminous Arc could've easily used skin to sell UMDs on PSP or PS2.

Of course, "perv" games always existed. Senran Kagura itself started on 3DS; DS has three Doki Doki Majo Shinpan entries. PSV is just having a large and constant flow of such games; and since it's not such a lively platforms in terms of third parties support, those are way more evident to our eyes.

Having said that, I don't think those games are "noise". e.g. PhotoKano Kiss is the 45th best-selling game on PSV; Ciel No Surge 47th; Moero Chronicles is 49th. Girls und Panzer is 64th. Those games sell constantly from 30k up to 60-70k units. And this without considering all games that are not visual / erotic novel but they have forced "perv" elements, such as Valhalla Knights 3 or Mind Zero.

Top Bottom