• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Also my stylists have been like old white dudes and older indian ladies for pretty much all my life, at least as a teen/adult

Im curious if I could walk into a place with younger dudes or women cutting hair and just tell them to do their best

EVOL 100%

Would be better to get a few photos of haircuts you like and ask for advice on which style to go with

Also it's better to go with your natural texture, I have thick curly hair too and my hair always looked like ass until I decided to just work with my natural hair instead of straightening it.

NinjaBoiX

i bet you're one of these GAF dudes who says they are balding, while still having a head full of thick hair and a slightly maturing hairline. need an example of what you're working with, but in general, i think its worth exploring the right cut for the hair situation. fuck the people who say "shave and work out"
Nah man, if you're actually going bald, fuck people who say "find a cut that works for you."

Nobody's going to be fooled.

Nobody's going to be impressed.

I've been there bro, shave it off, it's the only way to go!

Zaph

Haha. Idk how mature it is. It feels like its past that now. When i pull my hair all the way back, the baldness around the temples is practically half my head I think

And the middle area is thinning. You can start seeing through it. Its game over for me and its a big source of my midlife crisis

Ill share pics tomorrow if youre able to advise me.

And i feel its fine on a frontal view

But then i see pics of me from the side and it just looks like ugly baldness.

Honestly dude, if its bothering you this much and you're still young, consider a hair transplant. A friend of mine got one using the newer individual hair procedure (so there's no scars should you want to shave your head), and it looks great and very natural. In bright light you can tell it isn't as thick as it should be, but his face is now framed with a hairline again which gives the youthful appearance.

But it's definitely a situation where you get what you pay for - I think he spent around £10k

Honestly dude, if its bothering you this much and you're still young, consider a hair transplant. A friend of mine got one using the newer individual hair procedure (so there's no scars should you want to shave your head), and it looks great and very natural. In bright light you can tell it isn't as thick as it should be, but his face is now framed with a hairline again which gives the youthful appearance.

But it's definitely a situation where you get what you pay for - I think he spent around £10k

I definitely cant afford that right now, but thanks.

Nah man, if you're actually going bald, fuck people who say "find a cut that works for you."

Nobody's going to be fooled.

Nobody's going to be impressed.

I've been there bro, shave it off, it's the only way to go!

Yeah, I think my opportunities are over.

I deeply regret not styling my hair and getting nice cuts or at least having some pics where my hair looked interesting. It's always been such a plain cut and growth. Took all of that for granted.

I took some pics if I can send it to anyone to check out, but Im sure you'll agree that theres nothing I can do about it

Oxn

I definitely cant afford that right now, but thanks.

Yeah, I think my opportunities are over.

I deeply regret not styling my hair and getting nice cuts or at least having some pics where my hair looked interesting. It's always been such a plain cut and growth. Took all of that for granted.

I took some pics if I can send it to anyone to check out, but Im sure you'll agree that theres nothing I can do about it

Post on imgur and whatever then link it here.

Or send to me in pm.

Post on imgur and whatever then link it here.

Or send to me in pm.

Done, thanks

Another problem I have with my hair is that its always so fried. It just doesn't look soft or shiny. I guess I don't have to worry about that either for much longer. I know I don't look good bald, so it really sucks that its my only option.

I don't think these really suit me to be honest

N0Tm94z.jpg

Oxn

Done, thanks

Another problem I have with my hair is that its always so fried. It just doesn't look soft or shiny. I guess I don't have to worry about that either for much longer. I know I don't look good bald, so it really sucks that its my only option.

Yup take care of your body and looks while you still can.

I know your hair is curly, but just go for that John Cena haircut.

EVOL 100%

I don't think these really suit me to be honest
They look a bit too bulky for you, yeah

I'm a slim, short guy too and I found out when I wear heavy boots I have to plab my entire wardrobe around them.

I certainly wouldn't wear them with just a t shirt and some jeans

Done, thanks

If you're not going to go full on bald, try conditioner and don't wash your hair with shampoo everyday

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Are matching joggers/blazer with v-neck a good look? Or is that too douchey?

No v-neck.

With v-neck (ok, an extreme example but still)

I say no v-neck. The joggers already casualize the outfit, adding a v-neck takes it to pulling-your-pants-down level. Keep the rest of the outfit clean, striking a balance.

And really, v-neck is good for the beach IMO, nothing else. That's just me though.

i don't want to be a basic bitch and buy clark's desert boots but i'm getting really tired of not having any boots to wear with my jeans...

i can't seem to find any good slim toebox 6" boots in dark brown leather for $200 or less. they're all either much cheaper and not available in dark brown leather (ex. golden fox boondocker), or much more expensive (red wing iron ranger, chippewa service boot, etc.)

acohrs

i don't want to be a basic bitch and buy clark's desert boots but i'm getting really tired of not having any boots to wear with my jeans...

i can't seem to find any good slim toebox 6" boots in dark brown leather for $200 or less. they're all either much cheaper and not available in dark brown leather (ex. golden fox boondocker), or much more expensive (red wing iron ranger, chippewa service boot, etc.)

Timbs worked for george costanza

BumRush

I posted earthkeepers for you a few posts back. Give them a look. They're much less bulky than what you're wearing in that picture.
timberland_earthkeepers_6_inch_boot_14823.jpg

embrace basic bitchdom like me and get the CDBs

What about Clae? The quality is more than ok and they aren't expensive, one example:

https://www.clae.com/products/hamilton-otter-milled-leather-aw17?variant=42297044099

Those ones will not make you look like Frankenstein :D

Hero

Can I recommend Thursday Boot Company?

https://thursdayboots.com/products/mens-brown-captain

199 and some of their more popular styles are even available on Amazon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Anyone here have any experience with carlos santos boots?

Been looking out for some chelseas for awhile now, massdrop is having a carlos santos chelseas drop and the bosco colorway immediately caught my eye.

7902_BOSCO_principal_20171016152905_20171017115200.jpg

entremet

Uh, do we have a discord
This discord solution for GAF communities seems half baked. Splintering all these communities into invite only discords is not the most welcoming thing.

If people want to leave, that’s cool and their pregorative, but the great thing about GAF OT is (was?) the open nature of it. New people could easily join or just lurk. Discord isn’t the best for that.

I am all about eyewear lately and Randolph Engineering is my go to brand. I picked up a pair of Archers lately and I am thinking of getting a pair of Corsairs too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This discord solution for GAF communities seems half baked. Splintering all these communities into invite only discords is not the most welcoming thing.

If people want to leave, that’s cool and their pregorative, but the great thing about GAF OT is (was?) the open nature of it. New people could easily join or just lurk. Discord isn’t the best for that.

Discord channels were meant to be temporary places to regroup and organize in the chaos. They only ever started closing invitations because news of GAF refuges spread to the dregs of the Internet over on 4chan and 8chan and Voat and the like and those alt-right fuckheads started organizing trolling and spamming efforts to harm the communities.

Currently hooked on cheap oversized flannel. Please send help.

They're $8 each at Wal-Mart, and absolutely shapeless: I'm in love.

Faded Glory right? I had a shirt from them once. They're okay and if you work in somewhere where you need a decent shirt but don't want to ruin a "nice" one, those will do.

entremet

Discord channels were meant to be temporary places to regroup and organize in the chaos. They only ever started closing invitations because news of GAF refuges spread to the dregs of the Internet over on 4chan and 8chan and Voat and the like and those alt-right fuckheads started organizing trolling and spamming efforts to harm the communities.

Are you staying? I've always enjoyed your post on nutrition topics, even though we disagree on much related to nutrition.

Faded Glory right? I had a shirt from them once. They're okay and if you work in somewhere where you need a decent shirt but don't want to ruin a "nice" one, those will do.

Yeah! With flannels, I feel that the less tailored, and more rural/Midwestern it looks - the better. There's an authenticity that's lost with the pricier stuff. It's a cold autumn here in MI right now, and these are perfect.

hTSWUyy.jpg

Speaking of blue collar chic, anyone know where I can cop this hat?

Yeah! With flannels, I feel that the less tailored, and more rural/Midwestern it looks - the better. There's an authenticity that's lost with the pricier stuff. It's a cold autumn here in MI right now, and these are perfect.

If you want to go a little higher, try the vintage Five Brother ones off of eBay.

Example:

s-l1600.jpg

Im hunting for good quality basics to reinvent my wardrobe.

How do you find the t-shirt that will hold up? Something I can buy 20-30 off in black, white and some color assortments. Good fit, can be washed/tumbled and won't break the bank.

I'm looking at the Slim Fit H&M ones, but I hear the quality is subpar and that they won't hold up.

I've been told to check out Uniqlo, Banana Republic, The GAP and Old Navy. I'm looking for something with no graphics, no branding.
I'm looking for someone at 5-10 dollars a pop. Something that will last a long time if I rotate them.

Oxn

How do you find the t-shirt that will hold up? Something I can buy 20-30 off in black, white and some color assortments. Good fit, can be washed/tumbled and won't break the bank.

I'm looking at the Slim Fit H&M ones, but I hear the quality is subpar and that they won't hold up.

I've been told to check out Uniqlo, Banana Republic, The GAP and Old Navy. I'm looking for something with no graphics, no branding.
I'm looking for someone at 5-10 dollars a pop. Something that will last a long time if I rotate them.

Heh, you are just like me, buying white, black, and grey plain Ts in bulk.

If you just want pure cotton, my favorite is the 3 pack, calvin kleins, in slim fit.

However i have moved onto a softer material called pima cotton. The ones from abercrombie and fitch are awesome and very affordable when you buy it at the right time. I have like 5 whites, 5 black, 4 light greys, 1 navy, 1 dark grey.

If you decide to buy those they do run slightly larger than other brands. So if you usually wear medium, buy small.

I'll also throw out Kirkland brand, but I think they only have black and white. Also, size down if you aren't using it as an undershirt.

Kirkland brand boxer briefs are the shit, too. Finally found boxer briefs that don't ride up and don't constrict my thighs.

Okay, I'll check them out. Thanks guys.

So, crew neck or v-neck?

Is it correct to say that V-Neck looks best on people who are muscular or is this just a perception I have? I get the sense that bodybuilders often wear tight fitted v-necks (often too tight in my mind).

Top Bottom