• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

I am in quite a dilemma, and I'm hoping GAF can give me some advice. I am 21 and the hair on the front center of my hair line as well as on my temples are becoming more and more noticeably thin. The texture in those areas are definitely not the same as the rest of my jhair. It was never really thick before, but because my hair is a light blonde and fine, this is becoming quite a worry for me. I don't think my hair should be thinning this quickly, but I can think of a few things that could make the thinning worse however...

I've had dandruff problems for YEARS and my hair probably sheds more than it should. I run my fingers across my scalp and it doesn't feel smooth, but kind of grainy. If I massage my scalp, many small flakes fall out. This can't be good for the hair itself. I've tried some products such as head and shoulders and even some prescription shampoo for the treatment of dandruff, but they never worked in the past. I've ordered some Nizoral (a product I've never used) to try once again to get rid of this problem and hopefully make it easier for my hair to grow.

Secondly, I do not have the best diet and it is likely that I'm not getting the appropriate vitamins and minerals for full hair growth. I've read that iron, vitamin D, zinc and B-complex vitamins are all important for healthy hair. It is winter, so I am probably not getting enough vitamin D. I've considered getting some supplements for that. Again, another variable that may be contributing to my hair loss.

I really just want my hair to look the best it can because it ruins my confidence. Sorry for the journal entry, but I do need some help. Another thing, going to the doctor is not an option right now. Any advice would be appreciated thouhg.

Not much options out there for you man. Genetic hair loss is not something you can stop easily.

Your only options right now are rogaine, finasteride, or a topical anti-androgen. The 3rd option is not commercially available yet like the other two but there are still ways to get some.

BadTaste

Try T-Gel Shampoo if Nizoral doesn't work. I've had similar problems with my hair and scalp like you in the past, I still pull out an unusual amount of hair when in the shower but it's not as bad as it used to be.

This all changed once I improved my diet and gained weight. Being wafer thing, drinking a lot of alcohol and eating nothing but a biscuit a day was probably the root cause of it.

As far as I know nobody in my family has receding hair, I think it was just my diet.

Definitely improve your diet and use a healthy shampoo (absolutely not Head & Shoulders).

Try T-Gel Shampoo if Nizoral doesn't work. I've had similar problems with my hair and scalp like you in the past, I still pull out an unusual amount of hair when in the shower but it's not as bad as it used to be.

This all changed once I improved my diet and gained weight. Being wafer thing, drinking a lot of alcohol and eating nothing but a biscuit a day was probably the root cause of it.

As far as I know nobody in my family has receding hair, I think it was just my diet.

Definitely improve your diet and use a healthy shampoo (absolutely not Head & Shoulders).

Thanks. I definitely had been slacking on my diet, drank mostly diet coke and sparsely any water because of the stress that finals brought. I am positive that is a contributing factor. Hopefully this Nizoral stuff can finally get rid of my dandruff. Any suggestions on how to maximize its effectiveness when washing my hair?

zsswimmer

I like the Regenepure DR ingredients better than Nizoral. It has that ketoconazole just like Nizoral.

Regenepure:
Aqua (Deionized Water), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera Gel) Juice, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium CocoylIsethionate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Carbomer, Glycerin, PEG-8, Ketoconazole, Niacin (Vitamin-B3), Serenoa Serrulata (Saw Palmetto) Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins, Dimethicone, Allantoin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin-C), Pyridoxine HCl (Vitamin-B6), Linolenic Acid, Emu Oil, dl-Panthenol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Menthol, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Oil, Hexylene Glycol, Salicylic Acid, PEG-25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Oil, Caffeine, Zinc Oxide, Guanine, Benzophenone-4, Polysorbate-80, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, FD&C Blue #1.

Nizoral:

Active Ingredients
Ketoconazole1 %

Inactive Ingredients
Acrylic Acid Polymer , Butylated Hydroxytoluene , Cocamide MEA , FD&C Blue 1 , Fragrance , Glycol Distearate , Polyquaternium 7 , Quaternium 15 , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate , Sodium Hydroxide , Hydrochloric Acid , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Tetrasodium EDTA , Water (Aqua)

To me the addition of all the other stuff probably will make you less likely to have your scalp dry out like Nizoral could. Of course maybe it wont and Regenepure will dry out it, but I like it a lot. I use it everyday without any sort of itching or dryness, and my hair looks pretty good.

overcast

Anyone have a good mousse or texturizer to reccomend?

Mainly looking for something with a lighter hold because I have a clay and a pomade.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Look at this guys hair.

tumblr_n9jtesT48J1rot71co1_500.jpg
Can I achieve this with B&B's spray? Leaning more towards a hairstyle like yours.

Scuderia

Decided recently i want something David Lynch style.

Then i realised, that's pretty much what everyone has these days anyway, isn't it?

Hair is finally long enough to tie back comfortably so it's not flopping in my face while I'm at work. I just throw a little forming cream while its damp from the shower to remove frizziness and I'm golden. Sides and back aren't long enough to do a full tie back quite yet, hopefully will be by summer.

My girlfriend suggested Pinterest for me when I was looking for hair inspiration last spring. I went there, saw nothing but undercuts and other impractical garbage, and left, never to return.

jesalr

Man searching tumblr or pinterest for mens hair examples is full of so much impractical garbage. Wtf is anyone gonna do with this cut?

tumblr_nb9muc1t331rmmysao1_500.png

Pose for a couple of photos!

This guy has more or less the same cut, I think he pulls it off well but for some reason he only shows one side of his face in his pics, maybe it looks like shit from the other side.

I think that's it, probably looks really strange on the side the hair is hanging. Imagine it's not too big of a deal in real life, but in a picture where everything is stationary...

whitehawk

Banned
Hey GAF, I've been sporting a slicked back hairstyle for while with short sides, but I think it's time for a change. I want something that's short enough so that when I go swimming it would get in my face and make be blind.

This is sort of what I have right now:

xe7uEnO.jpg

Any suggestions?

MrGerbils

I wanna go for a messy sort of tussled look, but still want a bit of form volume and control. I have naturally wavy hair that gets a bit curly when long. Any tips on product / process to get this sort of look?

Growing my hair out for a bun. Will post pics in 2-3 weeks. Have been growing for 2 months, almost there.

#middleeasterngenes

Same here, it's been nine months since my last cut. I can get the top tied up but everything on the sides and back isn't long enough quite yet. It's not the best look, but for where I work it's perfect for keeping my hair out of my face.

I need some help. So I wanted to do something different with my hair so I looked online at different hair styles and have found this one that I Really like.

Im a total noob at this and have no knowledge of hair products so I was wondering if you guys can help me out and suggest stuff that would help to achieve this look.

Guys, need some help.

Any resources where I can find hairstyles like this, but with side and back views as well?

Just going for a simple medium bangs in front, short on side and back. But I'm always unable to articulate myself properly so the back usually comes out less than perfect.

Revoh

So I'm letting the top of my hair grow while keeping the sides and back neat. I'm at almost 5 months from buzzcut to where I am right now. My goal is to get something like this:
Does anybody know what kind of product do I need to get my hair like that?
My only product at the moment is American Crew's Fiber. I can't get it to stay like that, it weights my hair down so I tend to go to this style instead:

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So I'm letting the top of my hair grow while keeping the sides and back neat. I'm at almost 5 months from buzzcut to where I am right now. My goal is to get something like this:

Does anybody know what kind of product do I need to get my hair like that?
My only product at the moment is American Crew's Fiber. I can't get it to stay like that, it weights my hair down so I tend to go to this style instead:

Go for a pomade. American Crew makes a decent one that isn't too greasy at all. If you don't need much hold it should do the trick.

Pyrokai

Hey guys,

What are some good short hair styles for this spring? I've been rockin' an undercut since before it was a huge thing and frankly, I'm sick of it and I don't feel like an individual anymore (even though I really like it : p )

I have thin white-people hair....and I think I want to go short. But should I keep my part? Should I get rid of it? I'm talking a 1-3 on the sides and a ??? on the top (but I keep thinking around an inch.

Just wanna know what's new and upcoming and new for this spring : )

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys,

What are some good short hair styles for this spring? I've been rockin' an undercut since before it was a huge thing and frankly, I'm sick of it and I don't feel like an individual anymore (even though I really like it : p )

I have thin white-people hair....and I think I want to go short. But should I keep my part? Should I get rid of it? I'm talking a 1-3 on the sides and a ??? on the top (but I keep thinking around an inch.

Just wanna know what's new and upcoming and new for this spring : )

What does your hair look like right now?

Pyrokai

What does your hair look like right now?

Stupid:

It used to look so awesome but I have run into hard times with money and I'm forced to go to a Great Clips now with $6 coupons and they NEVER EVER get it right. So now it just looks bad and kinda wet and I can never part it right anymore.

obin_gam

Stupid:

It used to look so awesome but I have run into hard times with money and I'm forced to go to a Great Clips now with $6 coupons and they NEVER EVER get it right. So now it just looks bad and kinda wet and I can never part it right anymore.

Just go with the Tintin look. You have the color, length and the face for it :)

Anyone have any waxes/whatever they can recommend for very curly hair? Layrite works when it's shorter and for keeping it from exploding when I'm growing it out but I'd like something stronger so I could do a bit more from time to time.

Ambitious

First time posting in this thread. Is there anything I can do about this mess?

My forehead is balding, especially on the right side. And my hair doesn't have any volume.
An ex-coworker suggested shaving everything off, but I don't want that.

cross posting from r/malehairadvice

Hey all, 18 year old here and I like to keep my hair fairly short-medium but yesterday for the first time since I was like 5 I grabbed some hair gel from my brother's cabinet and styled up the front because the front of my hair was kinda "floppy". What hair style can I get next time that will suit me and be easily manageable? No styling products needed would be preferred but not necessary. Also apparently gel is pretty crappy?

Senior picture with no gel: http://i.imgur.com/USgmvKs.jpg

Picture as of today with gelled front (hair is more grown out than senior picture hence why I used anything in the first place): http://i.imgur.com/8dGLI9z.jpg?1

The sides of my hair grow fairly fast and while I don't want something like a combover I definitely do want to make it look like I put some amount of effort in to making my hair look decent from all angles.

Edit: Also is it recommended to rinse my hair out at night before bed?

pixelation

What is the best option for styling your hair w/o damaging it as much?, something that stops the wind from messing up your hair-do. My hair is currently medium length and i currently use styling hair cream but... it's been quite windy and it messes up my hair... any advice?

First time posting in this thread. Is there anything I can do about this mess?

My forehead is balding, especially on the right side. And my hair doesn't have any volume.
An ex-coworker suggested shaving everything off, but I don't want that.

you are already combing over your hair, it's time to let go, unless you can afford hair transplants.

pizzacat

Banned

Hey all, 18 year old here and I like to keep my hair fairly short-medium but yesterday for the first time since I was like 5 I grabbed some hair gel from my brother's cabinet and styled up the front because the front of my hair was kinda "floppy". What hair style can I get next time that will suit me and be easily manageable? No styling products needed would be preferred but not necessary. Also apparently gel is pretty crappy?

Picture as of today with gelled front (hair is more grown out than senior picture hence why I used anything in the first place): http://i.imgur.com/8dGLI9z.jpg?1

The sides of my hair grow fairly fast and while I don't want something like a combover I definitely do want to make it look like I put some amount of effort in to making my hair look decent from all angles.

You have the perfect face to go bald

Def feeling like shaving my hair off, shit is just endlessly pissing me off, all ragged and wirey and greying on the sides. Do feel It would be an "oh god what have I done" the moment the barber stops though.

Happens when I occasional get fucked off with my beard and shave it down to a 1, then think oh why did I do it haha

Anyone know any good pomade/wax with a matte finish that has ingredients that are good for your hair? I've been using lay rite for a while and I feel like it's killing my hairline and scalp

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

You could really do anything you like, tbh. Your hair looks easy to manage.

Are there any styles you fancy? I want to avoid recommending you the standard short back and sides with a long top variation, even though I know it would look great.

Top Bottom