• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm trying to do the whole "shampoo infrequently, let the natural oils flow" thing but after 2-3 months, my scalp is itchy as hell and covered in a thin, occasionally thick, layer of white flakes. I mean, the flakes are everywhere. My entire head is covered. (and I wash my hair with cold water, so it's not that)

I'm going to try this, but I also need to find a new regular shampoo to use - preferably one that's not filled with shit that will agitate my scalp. Any suggestions?

I also need to find a new conditioner, as I think I'm allergic to the one recommended in the skin care thread - Herbal Essences Hydralicious Conditioner. It makes my eyes red and itchy for several hours after use.

Pyrokai

Have we discussed alcohol and hair in here? I'm freaking out because I was told that alcohol in hair products (like Crew, which I use) thins out your hair.

What say you, GAF? Should I panic?

Have we discussed alcohol and hair in here? I'm freaking out because I was told that alcohol in hair products (like Crew, which I use) thins out your hair.

What say you, GAF? Should I panic?

Your question was the third google result for alcohol in hair products causing hair loss.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

If it doesn't, NHS has you covered, fam

LuffyZoro

So I'm going to be working as a lifeguard this summer. Being in and out of a pool a lot, I want a new haircut that's relatively short (so it won't get in my eyes) and doesn't take too much work. My hair is very straight and fine.

These are some pictures of what I have right now. You can see in the back of the second one that my hair tends to stick up when it's at a certain length.
f9Dd23V.jpg
wDf2Udh.jpg
ovuPjxf.jpg

Also, should I shave?

zsswimmer

I'm trying to do the whole "shampoo infrequently, let the natural oils flow" thing but after 2-3 months, my scalp is itchy as hell and covered in a thin, occasionally thick, layer of white flakes. I mean, the flakes are everywhere. My entire head is covered. (and I wash my hair with cold water, so it's not that)

I'm going to try this, but I also need to find a new regular shampoo to use - preferably one that's not filled with shit that will agitate my scalp. Any suggestions?

I also need to find a new conditioner, as I think I'm allergic to the one recommended in the skin care thread - Herbal Essences Hydralicious Conditioner. It makes my eyes red and itchy for several hours after use.
Regenepure DR has the same dandruff fighting ingredient as Nizoral - ketoconazole. Keto has some effect on hair loss, so thats what Regenepure is advertised as, and the ingredients to me are better than the Nizoral, lots of anti inflammatory stuff. I use it daily without any issues.

I'm going in to get a haircut tomorrow and I'm unsure of what to ask for. My prom is next Saturday (and another one Friday the week after). I recently let my hair grow out a bit more in the front so I could style it a bit with matte putty, but I have a few issues. It doesn't really hold its shape in the wind or anything, looks stupid in a pool and I think it's a bit bushy around the sides and stuff and I can't really leave the house without putting product in. Any advice on what I may be able to do with it? Just wanna trim it up a bit especially on the sides I think.

Anyway here's the monstrosity without product

and here it is with product

Forgive the ugly face angles pls ty

zB7GMRN.jpg

So I've been using this for years (almost 10 I think) but I can't seem to find it anymore in-store where I live, and I don't really wanna pay double because I buy it online (I was paying 12$CDN, it's 22$CDN on Amazon).

Anything similar or better I could use for my hair?

I'm going in to get a haircut tomorrow and I'm unsure of what to ask for. My prom is next Saturday (and another one Friday the week after). I recently let my hair grow out a bit more in the front so I could style it a bit with matte putty, but I have a few issues. It doesn't really hold its shape in the wind or anything, looks stupid in a pool and I think it's a bit bushy around the sides and stuff and I can't really leave the house without putting product in. Any advice on what I may be able to do with it? Just wanna trim it up a bit especially on the sides I think.

Anyway here's the monstrosity without product

and here it is with product

Forgive the ugly face angles pls ty

It seems pretty okay (with product), the sides seems a bit too long tho. And have you ever tried spraynet to keep your hair in shape? Works perfectly with mine.

zB7GMRN.jpg

So I've been using this for years (almost 10 I think) but I can't seem to find it anymore in-store where I live, and I don't really wanna pay double because I buy it online (I was paying 12$CDN, it's 22$CDN on Amazon).

Anything similar or better I could use for my hair?

It seems pretty okay (with product), the sides seems a bit too long tho. And have you ever tried spraynet to keep your hair in shape? Works perfectly with mine.
Yeah I'm gonna trim the sides, what should I do with the front? Trim that as well or would that ruin the shape?

I would just work on the sides. Top length is good.

Any way to get it to be a cleaner part for prom itself? As it is it's kinda messy and that's what I'm skeptical about, especially since it doesn't hold up too well against wind. Keep in mind the pics were taken right after I styled it. Should I use pomade for that day instead and just lather it on?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Do they make, like, fragrances that you can put in your hair? This new shampoo I got works well, but it has a strong soapy smell and I'd rather my hair not smell like soap.

Regenepure DR has the same dandruff fighting ingredient as Nizoral - ketoconazole. Keto has some effect on hair loss, so thats what Regenepure is advertised as, and the ingredients to me are better than the Nizoral, lots of anti inflammatory stuff. I use it daily without any issues.

Thanks for the info.

Prozel

Time to get some real advice. I'm currently trying to grow considerably longer hair than I've done before because I want to try something new.

I have steady average growth (I assume) but my hair gets very, very thick and with the length I've had in mind (Ned Stark / Brad Pitt [World War Z]) I'm wondering if it's possible at all?

I just took a quick measurement and on top my hair is around 5cm slowly becoming shorter as it progresses to the sides.

Any advice? I know next to nothing and was thinking of getting my hair thinned out saturday and only thinning nothing else but it thats a bad idea please let me know.

Do they make, like, fragrances that you can put in your hair? This new shampoo I got works well, but it has a strong soapy smell and I'd rather my hair not smell like soap.

Thanks for the info.
I also highly recommend the Regenepure DR shampoo. Even if you're not in it for its purported anti-hair loss benefits, the ingredients are very effective in treating dandruff and dry, itchy scalp.

As far as the scent stuff, you want to avoid any scented essential or fragrant plant oils (like lemon, rosemary, peppermint) because they are potentially phototoxic (i.e. they make your scalp/skin more vulnerable to UV radiation).

Something like vanilla oil or eucalyptus would do quite nicely: subtle scent and not harmful to your skin.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I also highly recommend the Regenepure DR shampoo. Even if you're not in it for its purported anti-hair loss benefits, the ingredients are very effective in treating dandruff and dry, itchy scalp.

I'll look into it! Thanks! <3

Are the hair loss claims accurate? :3

As far as the scent stuff, you want to avoid any scented essential or fragrant plant oils (like lemon, rosemary, peppermint) because they are potentially phototoxic (i.e. they make your scalp/skin more vulnerable to UV radiation).

Something like vanilla oil or eucalyptus would do quite nicely: subtle scent and not harmful to your skin.

Whoa, that's wild. I would never have thought of that. Thanks for the heads up.

Where can I buy something like that?

zoozilla

Time to get some real advice. I'm currently trying to grow considerably longer hair than I've done before because I want to try something new.

I have steady average growth (I assume) but my hair gets very, very thick and with the length I've had in mind (Ned Stark / Brad Pitt [World War Z]) I'm wondering if it's possible at all?

I just took a quick measurement and on top my hair is around 5cm slowly becoming shorter as it progresses to the sides.

Any advice? I know next to nothing and was thinking of getting my hair thinned out saturday and only thinning nothing else but it thats a bad idea please let me know.

I'd like to know this too.

I'm also growing my hair out (I've started multiple times before but always cut when it became too awkward for me to bear), and this time will be the one.

But my hair is also super thick, and right now I'm afraid it's a little mulletty - the back is much longer than the front, which seems to be growing very slowly. Not sure what I should have done at a hair place to make things manageable.

Prozel

I'd like to know this too.

I'm also growing my hair out (I've started multiple times before but always cut when it became too awkward for me to bear), and this time will be the one.

But my hair is also super thick, and right now I'm afraid it's a little mulletty - the back is much longer than the front, which seems to be growing very slowly. Not sure what I should have done at a hair place to make things manageable.

Got a haircut saturday and I don't think he understood me when I said just thinning. Instead the sides got a runover to 12mm. Now the top is the remarkbly larger than the sides. Oh well, I'll see how thing turns out.

zsswimmer

I'll look into it! Thanks! <3

Are the hair loss claims accurate? :3

Whoa, that's wild. I would never have thought of that. Thanks for the heads up.

Where can I buy something like that?

Ketoconazole is the hair loss ingredient, it has a few studies done on its effects, look it up on google scholar - "ketoconazole + alopecia"

Its not gonna stop you from going bald if you have aggressive hair loss, but my hairline started moving up at the temples about 2 years ago and it really hasnt moved up anymore, unless its very very slowly doing it. And all the guys in my family are bald and started balding in their late teens.

zoozilla

Got a haircut saturday and I don't think he understood me when I said just thinning. Instead the sides got a runover to 12mm. Now the top is the remarkbly larger than the sides. Oh well, I'll see how thing turns out.

Hm, that's too bad. But maybe you inadvertently got a new look out of it.

Honestly, I'm so close to cutting it all off. Don't want to have to deal with long-ish hair anymore.

Fou-Lu

I am feeling very defeated by my hair, never once in my life have I felt like it was 'right'. Right now I am just letting grow into a terrible mop on my head. I am not sure what to do anymore.

Prozel

Hm, that's too bad. But maybe you inadvertently got a new look out of it.

Honestly, I'm so close to cutting it all off. Don't want to have to deal with long-ish hair anymore.

In all honesty it has been pretty cool to style. I'll keep letting it grow again and see how far it goes.

Don't since I assume you are like who will most likely regret short time after. They all say we have a akward phase when the hair grow long.

I am feeling very defeated by my hair, never once in my life have I felt like it was 'right'. Right now I am just letting grow into a terrible mop on my head. I am not sure what to do anymore.
Shave it off then? Seriously, if you've never liked the way your hair looks, then why even bother? Nothing wrong with a buzzcut.

I know some dudes that rock shaved heads and look badass as hell too.

TheContact

I have a mild form of dandruff where if I run my hands through my hair and scalp some white spots which I assume are dried scalp or something fall off. It doesn't happen unless I run my fingers through my hair and I used a medicated form of anti dandruff shampoo almost every day for a few months now and it hasn't gone anyway. Anyone have a good brand? I'm using a medicated walgreens brand but I've tried head and shoulders and that didn't work either

Palpable

In dire need of a new hairstyle. Recommendations? I've been told I have a long face. I don't want to accentuate that.

My hair is currently about as long as it is in the third picture. Can anyone give me recommendations? I wanted to grow it out, but it just ends up getting like this.

zsswimmer

Anyone use any shampoos/products with Adenosine in it? I saw this brand called Shishedio that says adenosine encourages hair growth and thickness. Maybe they were looking off this study?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1346-8138.2008.00564.x/full
Adenosine increases anagen hair growth and thick hairs in Japanese women with female pattern hair loss: A pilot, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial

Regenepure is working fine, but I was thinking maybe switching between the two products every day, keto and adenosine for more effectiveness? Idk, keto works great so no problems there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No man in my family is bald, yet starting around a month ago I've been losing a lot of hair every day :( I hope it will stop, don't know what coukd be causing this.

No man in my family is bald, yet starting around a month ago I've been losing a lot of hair every day :( I hope it will stop, don't know what coukd be causing this.

Don't give up hope! It could be something called Telogen Effluvium.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/effluviums

I had this happen to me in my early 20's. It usually occurs when you have some sort of shock or change to your body. When it happened to me, it turned out to be caused by a bad sinus infection and the antibiotics I was on to treat it. The good thing is it just means your hair growth has basically been reset, so your hair should start growing again within six months. If the hair loss is really concerning you, it might be worth seeing a dermatologist to help diagnose it.

zsswimmer

Well you gotta consider it could be what the above poster said, or maybe you had a few bald relatives down the gene pool that aren't alive? On the flip side, almost every guy is bald in my family and started balding at around 19/20 and I still got all mine with no signs of thinning... yet.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No one is bald really in my family, even in old photos.

I have had a shoulder injury for the past three months, but this really only started recently and I doubt it's related. Other than that I sometimes wake up in the morning with a bit of a sore throat, I think the air quality in my apartment is probably not great (old crap house, there was mold in my bathroom but I covered it with anti-mold paint). I've been gaining weight since I work out more regularly, gained around 5lbs over the past two months or so.

My mother says it's normal at this time of the year, but I don't know, I don't think it works like that with humans where we start shedding hair in the summer...

I remember a few years ago I was taking vitamin A supplements and coincidentally or not started losing some hair like now, but that is a known side effect. I'm not taking any now, so that can't be it.

One thing I noticed is the top of my head, towards the front, has felt a bit itchy some times. Didn't change shampoo and what not.

The only thing that really changed in my diet is I've been eating pork carnitas since maybe two months, maybe once every two weeks, because I learned a recipe and it's awesome. Usually I don't eat pork. Oh and I stopped eating beef because it's gotten too expensive. Maybe I got an iron deficiency.

I'll start taking my Centrum multivitmatins again. We'll see.

zsswimmer

Do you use a ketoconazole shampoo? Could at least potentially help your scalp/hair and have a little hair loss fighting effect. Seems like when my hairline started receding at the corners it itched very much in those exact spots. Kind of got like widows peak type hairline, except curved at the corners not angular, and it stopped going up once I got on a keto shampoo.

Anyways your case definiitely sounds strange. See a dermatologist to make sure, I would if I were you. Worse case scenario is that it is pattern baldness but it could be something else. Anyways a derm can prescribe finasteride which if youre a good responder does regrow and prevent hair loss.

Yen

Can anyone recommend a brand of pomade? Would like to try it out for parting my hair a bit. I have really thick and dry hair which is often problematic.

psychotron

No one is bald really in my family, even in old photos.

I have had a shoulder injury for the past three months, but this really only started recently and I doubt it's related. Other than that I sometimes wake up in the morning with a bit of a sore throat, I think the air quality in my apartment is probably not great (old crap house, there was mold in my bathroom but I covered it with anti-mold paint). I've been gaining weight since I work out more regularly, gained around 5lbs over the past two months or so.

My mother says it's normal at this time of the year, but I don't know, I don't think it works like that with humans where we start shedding hair in the summer...

I remember a few years ago I was taking vitamin A supplements and coincidentally or not started losing some hair like now, but that is a known side effect. I'm not taking any now, so that can't be it.

One thing I noticed is the top of my head, towards the front, has felt a bit itchy some times. Didn't change shampoo and what not.

The only thing that really changed in my diet is I've been eating pork carnitas since maybe two months, maybe once every two weeks, because I learned a recipe and it's awesome. Usually I don't eat pork. Oh and I stopped eating beef because it's gotten too expensive. Maybe I got an iron deficiency.

I'll start taking my Centrum multivitmatins again. We'll see.

I'm in the same boat! Nobody in my family is bald. All have full heads of hair, and I have two much older brothers. Granted, I did lose about 50 lbs in the past 6 months, but I have so much thinning on top of my head I'm freaking the hell out. I saw a dermatologist who was extremely dismissive. Just said use minoxidil and finasteride. I've been using both for about 3 weeks. I'm fucking sad over this shit.

Can anyone recommend a brand of pomade? Would like to try it out for parting my hair a bit. I have really thick and dry hair which is often problematic.
Look into Imperial. They've got a number of different pomades that would probably work you, all of which are super easy to wash out. Super strong hold too.

Do you use a ketoconazole shampoo? Could at least potentially help your scalp/hair and have a little hair loss fighting effect. Seems like when my hairline started receding at the corners it itched very much in those exact spots. Kind of got like widows peak type hairline, except curved at the corners not angular, and it stopped going up once I got on a keto shampoo.

Anyways your case definiitely sounds strange. See a dermatologist to make sure, I would if I were you. Worse case scenario is that it is pattern baldness but it could be something else. Anyways a derm can prescribe finasteride which if youre a good responder does regrow and prevent hair loss.

Is it a 1% or 2% keto shampoo?

psychotron

So I stopped taking finasteride after two weeks. I was feeling odd pains in the testicular area and having difficulty performing to my usual standards. I thought the reports may have been blown out of proportion, but it really does affect you. I can't live with the thought of that being permanent so I'm stopping. I'd rather lose my hair than my gear.

I'll continue Minoxidil and Nizoral, hoping for the best.

So I stopped taking finasteride after two weeks. I was feeling odd pains in the testicular area and having difficulty performing to my usual standards. I thought the reports may have been blown out of proportion, but it really does affect you. I can't live with the thought of that being permanent so I'm stopping. I'd rather lose my hair than my gear.

I'll continue Minoxidil and Nizoral, hoping for the best.

Maybe it was all psychological?

zsswimmer

It does make me wonder about the psychological response when people post a lot of bad things about fin. No doubt there are people who get bad side effects but its like reading up about the horrors of Prozac before actually taking it. Im willing to take it in the future but my hairline hasn't seemed to recede at all in the past few years.

Daffy Duck

Sign me up as someone else who has always had short hair but has decided to grow it out for a completely different style.

Been a while since my last cut.

Dob386Zm.jpg

IlH2wxUl.jpg

Started wearing a cap recently to hide the mess so I can grow it longer.

Top Bottom