• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental Health |OT2| - Light in the Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
Reposting resources in the event the forum is down when people need it. Please take note, in case of further outages. Keep fighting y'all.

Original Depression-GAF Thread

Mental Health |OT| Depression & Co.

This thread is for gaffers and lurkers coping with mental health issues, broadly defined. This thread is for supporting them and discussing these issues. Please have compassion and patience with others and yourselves in this thread.

If you are thinking of hurting yourself, please get help right away! Go to the hospital emergency department - if you are thinking of ending your own life, it is a medical emergency. If you need help figuring out where to go, a suicide hotline can help.

US National Suicide Hotlines: 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Hotlines by state

Canada Crisis lines by province

UK Samaritans Charity 08457 90 90 90*
Northern Ireland Lifeline: 0808 808 8000

Australia LifeLine 13 11 14
New Zealand Crisis Contacts

Crisis centers by country.

The Trevor Project 866 488 7386
"providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth"

Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 PRESS 1

“I still see my hands coming off the railing,” he said. As he crossed the chord in flight, Baldwin recalls, “I instantly realized that everything in my life that I’d thought was unfixable was totally fixable—except for having just jumped

Places to find help

US
NAMI

UK
SANE

EU
EUFAMI

The Intro to the original Mental Health thread spans 4 posts. It was written over the course of something like 10 days by two primary authors (Prax and I) with the help of around a dozen people. I won’t be recreating or updating that here. I suggest you go check it out for all sorts of helpful information about mental health!

In place of a new mega-OP, MH-GAF superstar, Piano, kindly sent me the links to these three posts, which offer his usual fantastic blend of general information and personal experience

Psychological and Psychiatric Treatment

Therapy: Understanding, Insight and Treatment
Inpatient Treatment

Those are all very much worth your time and attention.

If you have questions, personal experience to share, need to vent - have at it!

My one perpetual hope is that we’ll hear more stories of progress and recovery. This can be a sad, relentlessly pessimistic place, as you might imagine. On the one hand, that’s OK! The least helpful advice for the mentally ill is to just be more cheery. It’s as helpful for a discussion thread as it is for an individual. That is to say, it isn't.

On the other hand, I can say from personal experience that talking about mental illness can eventually wear you down. I try to stay up on what people are saying in the thread but there are definitely days when I’m working extra hard to feel OK and I just know I can’t take it. Then, every once in a while, someone has something happy to report, a tiny bit of progress, a positive development, kind words for another poster, something funny, anything that lights up just a little bit among all that darkness.

But (and this combines and steals from at least 10 of my favorite things, one slightly more than others…), it’s easy to look at this thread, your own life, our collective life here on earth as being like the night sky, and think that the darkness has a whole lot more territory than the light.

And it does. It absolutely does.

As you recover from mental illness, you realize you’re looking at it wrong, the sky thing.

“Once there was only dark. You ask me, the light’s winning.”

You shine a little light, just by being here and existing. If you ever have a little more to offer - by reaching out, by sharing your victories, by sending a PM to offer help or to talk - please do so.

Drop me a PM any time, friends, old and new! Welcome to the community.

-Bagels

Top image: NASA: "Bright 'Evening Star' Seen from Mars is Earth"

wandering

Banned
Hey there everyone, I really hope y'all are ok and hanging in there.

If anyone here is interested, I mod a discord of former GAFers where there is a mental health channel. Anyone looking for a place of support, please feel free to reach out to me for more info.

jb1234

I will be leaving the board but I wanted to thank everyone in this thread for their support and I wish you all good mental health.

yunbuns

I posted here a little during a really low point I had last year and appreciated how everyone was supportive of one another and nonjudgemental. I wish everyone the best wherever they may go. <3

The Hermit

I remember this thread, it helped during a very dark period in my life, back in 2009-2011.

What helped was reading a post of a dude that almost killed himself, but he endured and everything turned around for him, he was getting married and was successful.

I also had suicidal thoughts and was very close to doing it.Now I am happy, have a great girlfriend and almost everything I wanted to do in my life I did. And now I want so many things! I love my life.

If this happened to me it can happen to you :)

I dunno if the new forum will be the answer, and I'll probably stick around for a while, but unfortunately things won't be the same and we have to accept that.

Good luck everyone and see you around

giphy.gif

Sini

Hey there everyone, I really hope y'all are ok and hanging in there.

If anyone here is interested, I mod a discord of former GAFers where there is a mental health channel. Anyone looking for a place of support, please feel free to reach out to me for more info.

Could you PM me some more info about it?

I will be leaving the board but I wanted to thank everyone in this thread for their support and I wish you all good mental health.

Nooo JB! You have been such an inspiration in this thread. I'm sorry to see you leave but I understand why. Best of luck to you and everyone else who keeps fighting. I have posted a few times in this thread in the past and have lurked a LOT more.

I'm doing SO much better now in my life. I am happy for the first time in about 8 years. Even if it takes 8 years..ten years..I will be 30 this December and I feel like I have so much life left to live and I vow to make my 30s so much better than my 20s which were awful. There IS light at the end of the tunnel even if it does not seem like it now.

Colin.

If anyone would like to join a new mental health server, I'm going to leave a link for my Twitter, you can message me there and I will help you in anyway you can. https://mobile.twitter.com/ItzWaffleTaco

I can assure you your privacy is safe, and that there are other members there that were in this thread, including Bagels.

There was one briefly here (early in the year, I think?) but just vanished one day that I went on. Not sure what will be happening on the next forum, but I'd be happy to make another thread (or help with another one, at least) same with anything Discord related. But my time here will be over as well. If anyone wants to get a hold of me, my Discord can be seen when you quote this message.

I thank you all for the support over the years. I first came here when I only first started taking mental health matters seriously, and have definitely made some progress since. I hope has been the case for all of you, and hope to see, and catch up with more of you on the other side.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm not a member of this community but I'm a longstanding GAF member and member of other OT Communities. I'd like to point out, before giving links to random JR members here to any discords, to please check their post histories first.

golfham said:
Agreed. This is a great forum and I don't want to see it go. Let's weather the storm and not assassinate Evilore over baseless accusations. It's just wrong. The girl who made the accusation seemed mentally unstable based on her claims (being harassed 4 times in a day...really?) AND they were in a relationship.

This is a manufactured controversy by the former mods to upheave the site and steal the community (in my opinion).

That it's possible that he, like you yourself, are just a burner account that has been sat on for a while. Your post history also indicates that you came around just in time for this, and your comments are abhorrent and disgusting. You have no interest in seeing a place like this flourish. Everybody can see through you.

Maximo

Much love to the community been a long time lurker but the thread has certainly been a great help to me, with everything going on if people jump ship hope to see a similar thread pop up in another forum.

Shit, I’ve only just discovered this thread (I don’t think I’d ever been in OT community before, only noticed now the main OT is gone), at a time when I need it, just as everyone is abandoning it. And the links to the original threads don’t work any more for obvious reasons &#128577;

golfham

I'm not a member of this community but I'm a longstanding GAF member and member of other OT Communities. I'd like to point out, before giving links to random JR members here to any discords, to please check their post histories first.

That it's possible that he, like you yourself, are just a burner account that has been sat on for a while. Your post history also indicates that you came around just in time for this, and your comments are abhorrent and disgusting. You have no interest in seeing a place like this flourish. Everybody can see through you.
If you’re so paranoid about “burner accounts” then why are you still posting here? Nobody is forcing you.

And FYI I don’t want a link to your shitty discord or alt forum. You folks decided to leave GAF so don’t point fingers at those who chose to stay in this community.

ZeoVGM

Banned
If you’re so paranoid about “burner accounts” then why are you still posting here? Nobody is forcing you.

And FYI I don’t want a link to your shitty discord or alt forum. You folks decided to leave GAF so don’t point fingers at those who chose to stay in this community.

Oh please, how absolutely disingenuous.

You have 15 posts on your account, which was created in freaking 2009.

All of those posts are from the past two days.

Neko isn't being paranoid by pointing out something incredibly obvious. Spare me that nonsense and stop lying.

golfham

Oh please, how absolutely disingenuous.

You have 15 posts on your account, which was created in freaking 2009.

All of those posts are from the past two days.

Neko isn't being paranoid by pointing out something incredibly obvious. Spare me that nonsense and stop lying.
Feel free to take action if you feel it’s warranted. Otherwise, you can put me on your ignore list and stop shitting up this thread with your paranoia.

Colin.

Open registration should be a thing later today. But if not, come get a headstart, and join us in the new Mental Health Discord channel. Quote this for the link. (within the email tag at the end of this post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom