• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Obsidian Entertainment and inXile

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well there you go.

Obsidian Entertainment
Obsidian Entertainment was founded in 2003 in Irvine, Calif. by industry veterans from Black Isle Studios, led by Feargus Urquhart. The studio quickly made a name for itself with the Xbox exclusive Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Over the last fifteen years, they have delivered genre-defining RPGs to players on both console and PC through titles including Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and Pillars of Eternity.
inXile Entertainment
inXile Entertainment is a team of industry veterans with decades of PC and RPG expertise. Led by Interplay founder Brian Fargo, inXile’s two development teams in Newport Beach, Calif. and New Orleans excel at creating vast worlds for players to explore with titles such as Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Bard’s Tale IV, and the upcoming Wasteland 3.

Source at Gematsu

I've liked several games from both studios. Strife In a Teacup Strife In a Teacup just made a thread about possible Microsoft studio acquisitions as well, which makes this timing kinda funny.

Hopes? Dreams? Jokes about both studios being closed in 18 months?

EDIT: after the announcement, Obsidian and inXile released the videos below. Thanks Strife In a Teacup Strife In a Teacup

Last edited:
Awesome acquisitions.

Black Isle Studios reformed in all but name.

My hopes?

Obsidian made Shadowrun Third Person action rpg like FO:NV.

InXile continues making Isometric CRPGs style games with the help of Obsidian tools like they did with Torment. Similar to how Playground called in some Ninja Theory guys for assistance on the (Fable) open world rpg they're making. That kind of cross collaboration is awesome, and Obsidian and InXile have a history of working together already.

InXile could also make a new Wasteland better than Fallout with the help of Microsoft backing, much like a new Shadowrun going against Cyberpunk.

A Shadowrun game set in the Seattle Metroplex would not only be fitting for Microsoft, but an awesome game as well. Race selection of Human, Troll, Elf, Dwarf with Street Samurai, Adept, Rigger, Shaman, Decker and Mage would be so cool.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Awesome acquisitions.

I think inXile is the better grab of the two, no disrespect to Obsidian. Brian Fargo really brought that up out of the mud and clay and built a great dev team. Wasteland 2 and Torment -- while flawed in some ways -- have done the best job of capturing the essence of 90s CRPGs.

I think inXile is the better grab of the two, no disrespect to Obsidian. Brian Fargo really brought that up out of the mud and clay and built a great dev team. Wasteland 2 and Torment -- while flawed in some ways -- have done the best job of capturing the essence of 90s CRPGs.

They're two parts of a black rock Voltron.

Dada55000

Guess it's a better alternative to going out of business. Pillars 2 and Bard's Tale 4 did exceptionally poorly, to the point where I doubt either company would've made it to 2020. InXile I have no confidence in, but Obsidian might finally produce a circa-2010 game again. They're still suckling on the reputation they've earned with Kotor 2, New Vegas, Alpha Protocol and Mask of the Betrayer. The last one of those was 8 years ago. 'Shafted, buggy, greatness'. They've since turned from greatness into tepid. Maybe now that they're no longer pigeonholed into budget cRPG nostalgia wank they can produce something truly memorable again. I know quite a few people are no longer there from the NV days, Chris Avellone being chief among them, and that some of their new hires seem to be of the Siege of Dragonspear/nu-Bioware school of quiestionable writing, but they still have some of the greats in lead positions that could produce something terrific. Mainly thinking of Cain and Boyarsky.

Awesome acquisitions.

Don't have the name, but they do have the people that drove Interplay and Black Isle into the ground. Big win! Atleast Fargo and Feargus will finally be able to get the Greg Zeschuk & Ray Muzyka payday they've been struggling for for the last 10 years.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I know how people hate exclusivity, especially when bought, so expect outage from everyone... Right?

Clear

Don't have the name, but they do have the people that drove Interplay and Black Isle into the ground. Big win! Atleast Fargo and Feargus will finally be able to get the Greg Zeschuk & Ray Muzyka payday they've been struggling for for the last 10 years.

Zing! Owww.

, but they still have some of the greats in lead positions that could produce something terrific. Mainly thinking of Cain and Boyarsky.

But Boyarsky is responsible for Diablo 3's totally shit lore, story, dialogue and quest writing. 10 years spent on that lmao

Last edited:
I know quite a few people are no longer there from the NV days, Chris Avellone being chief among them

Yes, Chris Avellone, who's cheering about how happy he is to jump into Fallout 76. Wish he was still there...

More like he's cheerleading for a writing job at Bethesda seeing the MS acquisitions.

Don't get me wrong, I do respect and like what he's done. But he's been overly butthurt over the past several months. Likely because he lost out on his big payday just now.

WaterAstro

I guess it was be acquired or close. I don't know about inxile, but I bet obsidian heads wanted to get some easy cash and then leave.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yes, Chris Avellone, who's cheering about how happy he is to jump into Fallout 76. Wish he was still there...

More like he's cheerleading for a writing job at Bethesda seeing the MS acquisitions.

Don't get me wrong, I do respect and like what he's done. But he's been overly butthurt over the past several months. Likely because he lost out on his big payday just now.

Yeah, definitely some drama going on.

This is a great acquisition for Microsoft. No need to call sour grapes before they've even announced any title or explained what they'd like to do next.

Clear

Ending up bitter as fuck after years in the business is pretty common! It kinda chews you up and spits you out, especially if you care about the work and detest all the political and business machinations that just seem to hold you back.

Ending up bitter as fuck after years in the business is pretty common! It kinda chews you up and spits you out, especially if you care about the work and detest all the political and business machinations that just seem to hold you back.

I get that, but he's been somewhat childish about it.

Reminds me of myself when I go off on a drunken rant if anything, and I know those are silly and childish. Sometimes you just got to move on. Crying about the past doesn't do "you" (person in question) any good.

I guess it was be acquired or close. I don't know about inxile, but I bet obsidian heads wanted to get some easy cash and then leave.

And yes, this. Fearghus was rumored to want to get a payday and retire. So Avellone will get his wish one way or another likely.

Sawyer probably just needs a break. I like Josh though, even if Avellone doesn't.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Both excellent acquisitions, congrats Microsoft

Sacred

The biggest news about these acquisitions is that they get unlimited support and resources from all the other studios MS had and recently acquired. I love this first party family aspect, the lineup is going to be insane in a few years.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I know how people hate exclusivity, especially when bought, so expect outage from everyone... Right?

“I won’t buy an Xbox One cus it has no exclusives “

*exclusive releases*

“Omg please make it multi platform it would suck to buy an Xbox One because of this”.

Fbh

I have to admit I'm not too familiar with inXile and their franchises but Obsidian is a great get, lots of talented people there and I look forward to seeing what they can do next gen with some of that MS funding.

I just really hope MS let's them do their thing. I hope they aren't forced to make multiplayer and "as a service features" part of their games if they don't want to

Dada55000

But Boyarsky is responsible for Diablo 3's totally shit lore, story, dialogue and quest writing. 10 years spent on that lmao

Yeah D3 is shite, Black Soulstone and the Uber Mega Ebil or whatever it was, but, in his defense, he was "lead world designer". Meaning his input was limited to writing and a couple of other things, so whatever he made went through the ringer once it got to Wilson & his merry band of arrogant WoW cast-offs that infested the dev team. Y'know, the crew that badmouthed Blizzard North. They thought they were it. Large part of what makes D3's story so shit is the presentation of it, and Boyarsky had no control over that.

Compare that to his work on Fallout and Arcanum, where he was actually a significant part of the art direction for one. Those 2 are in the running for the best RPGs ever. Guess being a part of the Blizzard machine really keeps an individuals talents from shining through if you're not working in a major lead role.

Guy wants his easy money, what's wrong with that? Stock up before lawyers get involved due to his constant shitting on Feargus. Don't think he's jealous of the buyout money specifically, just salty at the shenanigans he went through at Obsidian with management.

Avellone is another one of those that hasn't done anything really of note since the NV DLCs. You see his name next to half a dozen games but it's always some minor, contained element that leaves no real mark on the overall design and writing of the games. So he gave the writing team some pointers and wrote a companion. Whoppity-fucking-do. When is that guy going back to helming something.

Guy wants his easy money, what's wrong with that? Stock up before lawyers get involved due to his constant shitting on Feargus. Don't think he's jealous of the buyout money specifically, just salty at the shenanigans he went through at Obsidian with management.

Avellone is another one of those that hasn't done anything really of note since the NV DLCs. You see his name next to half a dozen games but it's always some minor, contained element that leaves no real mark on the overall design and writing of the games. So he gave the writing team some pointers and wrote a companion. Whoppity-fucking-do. When is that guy going back to helming something.

Nothing is wrong with it. He should have just kept his shit in check and waited to collect. Let his emotions get the better of him it seems. It's probably for the best they parted ways at this point.

As far as when he's going to go back and helm something, who knows. He did whatever it was with Pathfinder, but it's mostly Old Man Yells at Cloud these days.

gioGAF

Hard to comment when we don't know any specifics.

I hope MS acquired these 2 studios with the intent of creating better content, of following the model Sony uses with their stable of studios. If I had to guess, the games will be "Windows" exclusives and I'm okay with that (why would MS buy the studios if they plan on putting their content on rival platforms).

I have very much enjoyed the work of these studios and I hope they are able to prosper. That this move helps them remain afloat and their employees remain employed.

I won't be playing their games from now on, most likely (unless somehow Sony and Nintendo manage to eclipse MS in being scum), and I actually don't think MS can help themselves so they will probably start shoveling out microtransaction-riddled products.

I hope MS acquired these 2 studios with the intent of creating better content, of following the model Sony uses with their stable of studios. If I had to guess, the games will be "Windows" exclusives and I'm okay with that (why would MS buy the studios if they plan on putting their content on rival platforms).

I have very much enjoyed the work of these studios and I hope they are able to prosper. That this move helps them remain afloat and their employees remain employed.

I won't be playing their games from now on, most likely (unless somehow Sony and Nintendo manage to eclipse MS in being scum), and I actually don't think MS can help themselves so they will probably start shoveling out microtransaction-riddled products.
You act like Microsoft requires microtransactions.

Looks like what Microsoft is doing is working. The regulars will continue to come out of the woodwork to put on their usual negative spin.

Microsoft keeps the developers going but somehow whatever they do is not the right move.

I love the stealth trolling until the last paragraph.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Well... There goes any hope for any future ambitious games.
Well they were certainly ambitious at going to the public begging for money to keeps their lights on.

Let's see what they can do when they're no longer wondering every day if they have to close their doors and lay everyone off.

This is some fantastic news, both are terrific studios and I absolutely LOVE the work inXile did on Wasteland 2. Both studios with proper funding could be really special and I like the direction MS is going with this. It could take next gen back to the Xbox/GC/PS2 days where it was worth it to own all 3 consoles as they all offered something different.

I love it. Great stuff. Congrats MS. Don't Rare them though and you got my next gen purchase. And a "Phil Spencer - pussy destroyer" shirt.

Fox Mulder

MS loading up and and talented studios getting stable first party budgets they otherwise wouldnt have is great for everyone.

Really interested to see MS next gen after they lost me this one.

DiscoJer

Inxile seems like it's a bit of a stretch for MS. Their games have been very low budget, indie style, using Unity, I believe. Wasteland 2 was pretty good, but Bard's Tale IV was awful. Didn't play Torment.

The other thing is that Wasteland and Bard's Tale are actually EA IP

Obsidian is a higher tier company, but their best products have been done using other companies tech (Bioware and Bethesda) and just making scenarios for it.

gioGAF

Looks like what Microsoft is doing is working. The regulars will continue to come out of the woodwork to put on their usual negative spin.

Microsoft keeps the developers going but somehow whatever they do is not the right move.

I love the stealth trolling until the last paragraph.
I'm sorry, would it be possible for you to explain away the "negative spin". Please tell me about the successful studios under the MS banner and about their great contributions to the medium. I'm coming up blank, so please enlighten me.

All I can remember is crap like Rise and Halo stuff that is trending downward without Bungie at the helm. What net positives have they introduced? Their idea of an exclusive is usually paying off a talented studio that is working on a game, so instead of releasing on multiple platforms, it releases just on their platform, what I call a net negative for gamers.

It is very hard for me to not be pessimistic about this acquisition. I really like both of these studios and I feel like this pretty much ends them from making the type of games I have enjoyed. Complete products (Pillars of Eternity 1 + 2, Wasteland 2, etc.) are not something MS is interested in.

What is it that MS is doing that is working? Throwing money around? What does their first party line-up consist of? I haven't played a single game on their system that made me say, "Wow, I really need to get one of these!" this entire generation.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I hope they get the support to make something good. The last really good thing from Obsidian was New Vegas. Alpha Protocol was neat, but rough and pretty boring. I haven't enjoyed their modern crpgs that I've played.

Mattyp

I'm sorry, would it be possible for you to explain away the "negative spin". Please tell me about the successful studios under the MS banner and about their great contributions to the medium. I'm coming up blank, so please enlighten me.

Turn10, Playground, 343, Coalition? The best racers & best exclusive FPS for the last 3 generations? Please don't move the goalposts after saying these games aren't for me. Because they are for a lot of people since the numbers far outstrip a lot of PlayStation exclusives.

What net positives have they introduced? Their idea of an exclusive is usually paying off a talented studio that is working on a game, so instead of releasing on multiple platforms, it releases just on their platform, what I call a net negative for gamers.

What net positives have they introduced with this? Every exclusive game year in and out from now on launch day for $9 a month with hundreds of others. I'll need to see a list of every game this generation that they have paid the studio not to release on rival platforms for.

I really like both of these studios and I feel like this pretty much ends them from making the type of games I have enjoyed. Complete products (Pillars of Eternity 1 + 2, Wasteland 2, etc.) are not something MS is interested in.

I really don't think you're understanding the point of gamepass yet, Microsoft needs games of every single genre, large AAA titles all the way down to Wasteland titles for PC and Xbox for this program to work. There needs to be something available for everyone. Netflix doesn't just create 2 genres of content either.

What is it that MS is doing that is working? Throwing money around? What does their first party line-up consist of?

They're creating the largest 1st party lineup so what's working is what they set out exactly to do. Forza, Halo, Gears, Cuphead, SoD, SoT, Ori, Minecraft.. + what ever 7 new exclusives titles the new studios are developing up. If you have no love for any of these, or any of the studios they now own I don't think gaming is for you.

Last edited:

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
Pity that Obsidian and inXile will now be stuck in the sad loop of producing the same games over and over. Wonder when Torment : Gears Of Warmenara and Obsidian's Forza / Halo RPG will come out.

All I can remember is crap like Rise and Halo stuff that is trending downward without Bungie at the helm. What net positives have they introduced? Their idea of an exclusive is usually paying off a talented studio that is working on a game, so instead of releasing on multiple platforms, it releases just on their platform, what I call a net negative for gamers.

It is very hard for me to not be pessimistic about this acquisition. I really like both of these studios and I feel like this pretty much ends them from making the type of games I have enjoyed. Complete products (Pillars of Eternity 1 + 2, Wasteland 2, etc.) are not something MS is interested in.

What is it that MS is doing that is working? Throwing money around? What does their first party line-up consist of? I haven't played a single game on their system that made me say, "Wow, I really need to get one of these!" this entire generation.

You kept defending Sony decision on blocking console crossplay too and kept the conversation around why you didn't like Microsoft in those topics too.

Sorry but Microsoft is here to stay. Go cry somewhere else. Sony buys deals all the time and wants full ownership of ip's so don't give me your sad story about Microsoft now ruining your day with these new acquisitions. If you care about these developers you will continue to support them instead of your snti-Microsoft banter. Grow up.

Last edited:
Pity that Obsidian and inXile will now be stuck in the sad loop of producing the same games over and over. Wonder when Torment : Gears Of Warmenara and Obsidian's Forza / Halo RPG will come out.

Yup, please keep up the childish comments. Playground is working on a new RPG, when was the last time Polyphony did something different? You think ninja theory is going to keep making the same game?

Microsoft sure attracts it's followers. Like I said they are going in the right direction. Haters gonna hate no matter what they do.

GenericUser

2 great studios, especially inXile.

Sucks to be a playstation gamer right now :messenger_fearful:

edit: I am the playstation only dude

Last edited:
2 great studios, especially inXile.

Sucks to be a playstation gamer right now :messenger_fearful:

I'd doesn't suck to be a Playstation gamer (immature just to suggest that) but it's rabid fanbase will continue to spew vile no matter what Microsoft does. It's what they do and who they concentrate on most.

GenericUser

I was referring to myself as I am a playstation only gamer. Some old strategy games and crpgs on my crap computer don't count.

Kagey K

Banned
I was referring to myself as I am a playstation only gamer. Some old strategy games and crpgs on my crap computer don't count.
Well if that’s the case they will still be on PC or you can buy an Xbox. You will only miss the games if you choose to miss the games.

At that point it’ll be just you defeating yourself.

GenericUser

Well if that’s the case they will still be on PC or you can buy an Xbox. You will only miss the games if you choose to miss the games.

At that point it’ll be just you defeating yourself.
Yeah, but I don't buy microsoft hardware and I don't spend hundrets of euros on a digital typewriter either. Fuck me then :messenger_winking:

edit: don't want to derail this any further. I'm not a console warrior, just great news for xbros. Enjoy :)

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

I bet they'll take it over begging to the public to fund their next game to keep the lights on and keeping people employed.

I'm wondering if you have proof that they're going to be stuck in a sad loop of producing the same games over and over.

Top Bottom