• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Obsidian Entertainment and inXile

Dada55000

Good acquisitions, if you are upset just buy a pc and play their games on it. Or you can buy an xbox. Being a console warrior in 2018 is childish (its always been childish).
Problem for PC people is the potential Windows Store exclusivity. Even though people begrugingly accepted jumping between digital stores for games, WS is so shit it's still being rejected, hard. UWP(basically no modding, pain in the ass file tweaking), Win10s horrible update shenanigans, downloads fucking up, game detection fucking up etc. People that champion this on PC are coming from a console/Xbox mindset, and not a PC mindset. UWP and everything that comes whit it is about as anti-PC as it gets in its current form. So don't be suprised if you see a lot of PC people bitching about Obsidian/InXile games down the road.

Last edited:
MS can easily just fund 3rd parties for gamepass. they don't need to buy studios for it.

But MS is aware of their lack of third party critique. By having a bunch of "AA" studios churning out games is great move. The risk is low, since investment is low, and any loss of sales can be offset by gamepass subscribers. They can then make games that aren't necessarily big, but can look enticing on its own. Not they have a lot of 1st party with low risk.

With time, the hope is that that library is going to look enticing enough for anyone to get into gamepass, and you will not even need an xbox to play them when xcloud comes out. MS realized they can't have a walled off garden now, so instead they want to open up, instead. For now, anyways.

AFAIR Fargo has historical ties to Microsoft, so I guess it makes sense on that level. Otherwise if you look at what MS has done recently, it's quite a buying spree. That has to mean that the hireups at MS are convinced or got convinced that the gaming division can make money long term. Not sure if I agree.

Havoc2049

While in their current form, inXile and Obsidian are AA developers (some of their AA content is better than the majority of AAA content), both these developers have the talent and experience to make AAA RPGs and have ramped up to make AAA games in the past when working with big publishers. I could easily see both these developers making AAA RPGs in the near future.

MDSLKTR

Ok let me rephrase Hendrick's Hendrick's question:

Who the fuck is Chad Moore and why should we be excited? Because that list does not inspire confidence to RPG players. At all.
Maybe not a rpg centric curriculum, but I see lots of polish in that list (except Lair). Something inxile is greatly missing.

Teslerum

Who the fuck is Chad Moore and why should we be excited? Because that list does not inspire confidence to RPG players. At all.

Maybe not a rpg centric curriculum, but I see lots of polish in that list (except Lair). Something inxile is greatly missing.
You have the wrong Chad Moore.

This Chad Moore worked on Fallout 2, Arcanum and Bloodlines.

Thats why you should be excited.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

That list does not inspire confidence to some because they can't make cheap generic games with big names in their studio, so that they can laugh that Microsoft has destroyed InXile

Teslerum

Probably Wasteland 3. I suspect new project will be revealed next E3 after next Xbox reveal.

I agree. Chad Moore and Jason Anderson who seem to be the brains behind the new project have both joined InXile this year. So, at best we would see a non-announcement from that.

None of the games Obsidian more recently made were nearly as good, or as noteworthy as their previous works such as Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, Knights of the Old Republic II and Fallout: New Vegas. I appreciate Pillars of Eternity (with all the additional content) for its substantially long length and good content, as well as its purpose during the, what a majority of people call, "cRPG renaissance" and its apparent homage to Infinity Engine games. But the writing and quest design is far below what i have understandably (because of their history) come to expect. Tyranny had potential with its strong beginning, but i assume was rushed in development somehow because its quality significantly degraded by the end.

I hope they somehow regain their foothold.

Aka_Arashi

Neo Member
Maybe they'll be joining the Forza team for that Fable 4 project. But in all seriousness, Microsoft better let them do their own thing and let them make what they want to make.

Top Bottom