• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2019 |OT| Eat, Sleep, Baseball (Postseason not included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trolls working overtime

Trolls be like

giphy.gif

San Diego is such a great city. I wouldn't mind playing there if I was a major leaguer. Strange we're almost in February and neither Harper or Machado has signed yet.

San Diego is such a great city. I wouldn't mind playing there if I was a major leaguer. Strange we're almost in February and neither Harper or Machado has signed yet.
10 years is a big ask. Most marriages don’t last 10 years anymore.

I’m sure they could get 3/120 right now. But they don’t want it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So much for the lifetime bans the MLB "was" going to stick behind. Mets closer reinstated, and Pete Rose still can't get into the Hall of Fame.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well the Hall of Fame is a separate issue. That is all on the Hall Of Fame. Nothing to do with MLB.

The commissioner of baseball is the one who makes the decision. It was a decision made by Bud Selig (while he turned his back on the known steroid use) carried over to the new commissioner and has stuck. The commissioner could reinstate Pete Rose for the Hall of Fame which he deserves.

Yet they have a rule on the books if you get caught and banned three times for performance enhancing drugs you are banned for life, they went back on this one player and that's a slap to the face of their own rule book.

Last edited:
The commissioner of baseball is the one who makes the decision. It was a decision made by Bud Selig (while he turned his back on the known steroid use) carried over to the new commissioner and has stuck. The commissioner could reinstate Pete Rose for the Hall of Fame which he deserves.

Yet they have a rule on the books if you get caught and banned three times for performance enhancing drugs you are banned for life, they went back on this one player and that's a slap to the face of their own rule book.
The Hall of Fame could change the rule right? It’s their rule saying any individual banned from Baseball isn’t eligible for the Hall of Fame.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Hall of Fame could change the rule right? It’s their rule saying any individual banned from Baseball isn’t eligible for the Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame does not have him banned. It's baseball (Bud Selig's rule) themselves. The commissioner has to reinstate Rose in order for him to be eligible for the Hall of Fame.

A lot were hoping this would have happened when Selig retired but it hasn't yet. It seems to be inching closer, with baseball having him involved with more activities, slowly.

But as I said, how are you going to reinstate a player by your own very rule book that should be banned for life, but not the Hit King which had nothing to do with when he was playing the game.

Last edited:
The Hall of Fame does not have him banned. It's baseball (Bud Selig's rule) themselves. The commissioner has to reinstate Rose in order for him to be eligible for the Hall of Fame.

A lot were hoping this would have happened when Selig retired but it hasn't yet. It seems to be inching closer, with baseball having him involved with more activities, slowly.

But as I said, how are you going to reinstate a player by your own very rule book that should be banned for life, but not the Hit King which had nothing to do with when he was playing the game.
My understanding is The Hall of Fame and MLB are separate entities. That it’s the Hall of Fame that won’t allow a player banned to be eligible.

But I agree with you on the matter of Mejia

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My understanding is The Hall of Fame and MLB are separate entities. That it’s the Hall of Fame that won’t allow a player banned to be eligible.

But I agree with you on the matter of Mejia

They are "separate", but oh you know, lol.

Umbrellas and all the jazz.

C'mon fellas it wouldn't be the baseball hall of fame without leaving some of the greatest players of all time out because of a bunch of moral gatekeepers said so.

Shoeless Joe ain't in and he stopped playing almost 100 years ago

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
C'mon fellas it wouldn't be the baseball hall of fame without leaving some of the greatest players of all time out because of a bunch of moral gatekeepers said so.

Shoeless Joe ain't in and he stopped playing almost 100 years ago

Outside of batting average, his stats weren't really that good though. :p

Might have something to do with the whole being banned from baseball thing when he was 32. Bruh he's third all time in career batting average and hit .385 his last season. He probably had another 6-7 seasons in the tank, he would have reached 3000 hits easy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Might have something to do with the whole being banned from baseball thing when he was 32. Bruh he's third all time in career batting average and hit .385 his last season. He probably had another 6-7 seasons in the tank, he would have reached 3000 hits easy.

I'm just being a shit, lol.

dorkimoe

I am getting annoyed that these athletes are complaining that Harper and Machado arent signed by teams. You have to imagine that about 10 teams total meet all the requirements 1) have the money, 2) are a player away from winning. You dont just sign these guys if you arent close to competing and not every team has the money. I keep seeing people complaining that because these 2 arent signed that something is going on with the owners and stuff. Or its because over half the teams dont need just 1 player.... They both have been offered contracts, they arent signed because they dont want to be.

MC Safety

This might not be the best place for it, but Out of the Park Baseball 19 for PC and Mac has a brand-new online mode called Perfect Team.

Out of the Park is a really great baseball simulation, and this new mode is interesting if not wholly fun. You get to manage a team of MLB players past and present and play in leagues against people who all have better teams than you because they paid real money to get spacebucks which equals more and more better players.

You can't draft or trade players, but you can buy card packs -- spacebucks are freely earned when your team and individual players accomplish feats -- and you can use your accumulated funds to bid on players in an auction. And you don't get to manage directly because all the games are simulated, but you can select strategies, choose lineups, and set pitching rotations/reliever roles.

I have a team, and it is pretty bad. But it's nice to check in on them now and again. Each season lasts one week and the game is generous in rewarding you so you can at least get a new player (superstars are out of reach, mostly) now and again to augment your team.

Didn't intend this to read as an advertisement. But I really like this game, and this addition is okay with me.

This might not be the best place for it, but Out of the Park Baseball 19 for PC and Mac has a brand-new online mode called Perfect Team.

Out of the Park is a really great baseball simulation, and this new mode is interesting if not wholly fun. You get to manage a team of MLB players past and present and play in leagues against people who all have better teams than you because they paid real money to get spacebucks which equals more and more better players.

You can't draft or trade players, but you can buy card packs -- spacebucks are freely earned when your team and individual players accomplish feats -- and you can use your accumulated funds to bid on players in an auction. And you don't get to manage directly because all the games are simulated, but you can select strategies, choose lineups, and set pitching rotations/reliever roles.

I have a team, and it is pretty bad. But it's nice to check in on them now and again. Each season lasts one week and the game is generous in rewarding you so you can at least get a new player (superstars are out of reach, mostly) now and again to augment your team.

Didn't intend this to read as an advertisement. But I really like this game, and this addition is okay with me.
PC?

Speaking of OOTP, I don't have a great deal of faith in my real-world Twins to get it together and make any sort of real push this year, but in my OOTP franchise, I'm currently in game 7 of the ALCS against the Astros (I'll play it tomorrow - when I get to the playoffs I only allow myself to play one game per day to let the excitement marinate, lol.) and going for back-to-back titles. (The Astros won in '20 & '21 and we won in '22. We have to win tomorrow to stop an Astros' dynasty and establish one of our own.) *fwiw I play with very hard trades and make things as uncomfortable for myself as I can, so I'm pretty pleased with the state of my current Twins 'chise.

*As for your post, I'm not really interested in Perfect Team - too "money-siphony" for me. It's not as bad as the villains of the industry, but I just won't engage in microtransactions personally. I'm sure it's fun for those who are into it though.

But on topic, I'm really excited for the real baseball season, like always. There is still - for me - after all these years a bit of magic in the air when spring rolls around and the whiff of grass brings to mind the crack of the bat and the pop of the ball in gloves around diamonds all over the world. Play ball.

giphy.gif

Edit: As much as I love The Show, and I really do, OOTP crushes it. Sorry It's true.

Last edited:
I know there's only about 5 of us, but maybe we could get a fantasy league going closer to the season. Maybe interest will pick up when the season is about to start and we can get some new posters in here who might be down.

I know there's only about 5 of us, but maybe we could get a fantasy league going closer to the season. Maybe interest will pick up when the season is about to start and we can get some new posters in here who might be down.

Count me in if there's enough interest to do it.

Ugh. I can't stand that stuff. I know I'm a dinosaur and all things must change with time, but the whole world should bend towards and accommodate classic baseball and its rhythms rather than baseball changing for the world! We'd live in a better place.

Gomezbat1_8p7mrsrn.gif

beardrubgif_gs5ug0ru_8nf0ghgf.gif

The idea of a 20 second pitch clock kind of makes me chuckle. Like I imagine a ref with a whistle standing behind the pitcher, staring at a stopwatch. FOUL - TAKE YOUR BASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom