• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2019 |OT| Eat, Sleep, Baseball (Postseason not included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how I'd survive a summer without baseball. They're on course for a lockout though. Hell Moose dealt with this shit for two years in a row now.

dorkimoe

Padres won 66 games last year...that 1 player isnt going to win that division. And something tells me that hamstrings their payroll for pitching....

Padres won 66 games last year...that 1 player isnt going to win that division. And something tells me that hamstrings their payroll for pitching....
Depends. I think they are at $135 million right now. Not unreasonable to assume they could still spend 30 million

greyshark

Man I really thought he’d go for less than 300. Harper must be loving this announcement, let’s see if someone gets desperate now.

Was that ever confirmed? I feel like I’ve heard so many rumors this offseason I can’t keep straight what’s real and what’s manufactured.
It’s as confirmed as these things can be. Offered at the end of the regular season before post season play.

Ironically the taxes Harper would pay compared to Philly for 30 million is close to 450k from what I read...

I was pretty shocked today to learn both of Machado signing with San Diego (bold strategy Cotton, for both sides), and also of Flacco being traded to the Broncos, which I know is relevant for a different thread

Guys. Guys. Guys.

we get to watch live baseball in 24 hours
84.gif

greyshark

Looks like the White Sox offer to Machado was 8 years/250 million with options to increase the potential value up to $340 million. Looks like Machado preferred the guarantee, can't say I blame him.

Those vesting options were probably in the last year's of the contract, theoretically when he'd be declining. So the chances of him getting those options would be less. Speculation of course, who knows what the finer details were but him taking the Padres offer makes sense

Those vesting options were probably in the last year's of the contract, theoretically when he'd be declining. So the chances of him getting those options would be less. Speculation of course, who knows what the finer details were but him taking the Padres offer makes sense
Rather live in San Diego or Chicago?

That pitch clock was a surprise. They decided to throw it in out of nowhere.

I've never felt like a pitch clock was a bad thing but I think pitchers should have the option to take it at their own pace. It's part of the game. A pitch clock that might shave a few minutes off the clock is not going to revitalize the fanbase of this sport, nor will it bring in a bunch of youthful fans who are impatient and have ADHD.

Doc Halladay games were always a thrill at the Dome and when the Jays got Buehrle those games went by quick too. It was part of their game plan to attack hitters and not let them catch their breath/think about the next pitch. Batters used to step out on those guys all the time to try to slow them down. It's up to the pitcher how quickly they want to take between pitches (I've always thought that the advantage goes towards the pitcher when they give the batter less time to prepare).

I'm not opposed to it but I wonder how much of a difference it will make, and if those few minutes will be worth the change.

That pitch clock was a surprise. They decided to throw it in out of nowhere.

I've never felt like a pitch clock was a bad thing but I think pitchers should have the option to take it at their own pace. It's part of the game. A pitch clock that might shave a few minutes off the clock is not going to revitalize the fanbase of this sport, nor will it bring in a bunch of youthful fans who are impatient and have ADHD.

Doc Halladay games were always a thrill at the Dome and when the Jays got Buehrle those games went by quick too. It was part of their game plan to attack hitters and not let them catch their breath/think about the next pitch. Batters used to step out on those guys all the time to try to slow them down. It's up to the pitcher how quickly they want to take between pitches (I've always thought that the advantage goes towards the pitcher when they give the batter less time to prepare).

I'm not opposed to it but I wonder how much of a difference it will make, and if those few minutes will be worth the change.

I’m not opppsed to it, necessarily. I’ve always questioned how big a problem pace of play/game length really is though.

It doesn’t bother me, but I guess maybe I’m the minority considering how speeding things up is a growing emphasis

Pace of play ain't the problem, it's what the game has to offer versus what society wants. Football is a slower sport with considerably less action. But you know what it has? A bunch of dudes trying to injure each other. That's the draw.

So this doesn’t deserve its own thread, and doesn’t seem to belong in the Social Media Thread, but I figured there’s an audience on here who would appreciate this

Only the second time in NCAA history that someone has hit for the “home run cycle.”

I don’t know if that applies just to just softball or also includes baseball. Apparently it’s never happened in MLB history

4 for 4, 10 RBIs by the 5th inning

That’s having a day

So this doesn’t deserve its own thread, and doesn’t seem to belong in the Social Media Thread, but I figured there’s an audience on here who would appreciate this

Only the second time in NCAA history that someone has hit for the “home run cycle.”

I don’t know if that applies just to just softball or also includes baseball. Apparently it’s never happened in MLB history

4 for 4, 10 RBIs by the 5th inning

That’s having a day

Damn. That’s an amazing performance

Rockies and Arenado agree to extension. 8 years $260 million

That’s awesome news. With Pads getting Machado and rumors of Dodgers making run for Harper all the talk around town was that we can’t let Nolan leave town, even if we have to overpay. Glad a deal was reached

EDIT

Not saying we overpaid, I have no issue with 32 mil per, he earned it, just saying I also wouldn't have minded if we had to overpay to keep him

Last edited:
Nolan might be the greatest player at the hot corner in the history of the game. Defensively he's unrivaled and he can hit with the best in the league. Well deserved contract and smart for the Rockies to realize they've got a probable HOFer in their organization and taking steps to keep him there

Nolan might be the greatest player at the hot corner in the history of the game. Defensively he's unrivaled and he can hit with the best in the league. Well deserved contract and smart for the Rockies to realize they've got a probable HOFer in their organization and taking steps to keep him there

5 straight gold gloves and either tied or led NL in homers 3x the last 5 years. Clearly trending to being the best Rockies player ever, and thus far is in pretty elite company from a glove/bat perspective, just heard on the radio only Willie Mays and Griffey Jr. have done that, in that span, before.

Now, they are also talking World Series for the Rockies on the radio, and frankly I would just like to win the division ONCE before we start predicting WS championships

edit

Frankly I am not sure we are a better team this year than we were last year.

Parra was a great, versatile piece of our lineup, he gone
Otto was pretty lights out for our bullpen last season, he gone

Losing DJ hurts but I like Murphy. (as a player, anyway. I keep hearing people around here reference that hes a weird guy in real life, but never specific details, no idea what thats all about)

Last edited:
JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered R Rock And Roll

I wanted to suggest that it is very important for Nolan Arenado to stay in the mile high. Simply because this...

Home and Away Splits!!!!

Same number of games between Home and Away. 11 more Plate Appearances for Home.

.320 home Batting Average vs. .263 away Batting Average. Power numbers also have this same difference.

He is as good a player 1st half vs second. But he is definitely getting a HUGE offensive bump with Mile High Home games. His value may have dropped in Free Agency simply because teams would also see this.

What I am saying is that Nolan and Rockies at 8/$260 seems to be an absolute perfect marriage for both.

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered R Rock And Roll

I wanted to suggest that it is very important for Nolan Arenado to stay in the mile high. Simply because this...

Home and Away Splits!!!!

Same number of games between Home and Away. 11 more Plate Appearances for Home.

.320 home Batting Average vs. .263 away Batting Average. Power numbers also have this same difference.

He is as good a player 1st half vs second. But he is definitely getting a HUGE offensive bump with Mile High Home games. His value may have dropped in Free Agency simply because teams would also see this.

What I am saying is that Nolan and Rockies at 8/$260 seems to be an absolute perfect marriage for both.

Gotta love hitting in Coors

Big debate around town today of Nolan vs Harper.

Statistically, Harper has the edge with walks/OBP and that is about it, going strictly off "on paper."

It’s Harpers marketability that gives him the bump.

Harper isn’t the best player in the league. He is the most marketable.

Everyone hits better at Coors. Defensively though he's still unmatched. And powerwise he's got 108 at home and 78 on the road. A 30 dong difference isn't that dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom