• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2019 |OT| Eat, Sleep, Baseball (Postseason not included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC Safety

Last edited:
Still super-early of course but the aging New York Mess are down two infielders. I know it means nothing, but I can't help but think this is a dark omen for an injury- and mishap riddled team.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/26/todd-frazier-goes-down-as-mets-deal-with-second-infield-injury/

ALSO:

If you guys want to start an Out of the Park Baseball league, I'd like to sign up. Not meaning to be an advertisement (again), but the new edition comes out in March.
I am thinking of setting up a fantasy baseball league. Anyone interested?

Another spring training, another year of MLB.TV being broken as hell on Ps4. Issue this year is the app itself is slow and crashes. The games themselves stream fine, but navigating the games is slow and if I watch one game and try to switch over the another, the thing freezes.

And I redownloaded MLB.TV when ST began so I'm on the current version. Can they figure it out just once at the start of the season? Rant over.

Last edited:
Another spring training, another year of MLB.TV being broken as hell on Ps4. Issue this year is the app itself is slow and crashes. The games themselves stream fine, but navigating the games is slow and if I watch one game and try to switch over the another, the thing freezes.

And I redownloaded MLB.TV when ST began so I'm on the current version. Can they figure it out just once at the start of the season? Rant over.
I use the Fire TV because the app on console and on smart tv sucks

dorkimoe

Harper to Phillies 330million.
Least it wasn’t dodgers i guess

13 years. No opt out. That is insanely dumb. He’s getting the Phillies will be good for 13 years.

Last edited:
Harper is a great fit for Philly as it is the douchebag capital of the sporting world.
I kid I kid. That's Boston. :p

Yesterday the news was it was the Dodgers and Giants and the Phillies were pessimistic. Last week it was Harper was going to sign with the Phillies by last weekend. I'm happy this nonsense is over, the writers have been either making shit up or they're being force fed misinformation and just blindly going along with it.

🤣 They are gonna pay him a fuck ton of money in his twilight years.

Contract might be heavily front loaded.

Imagine if Harper just signed with the Phillies because he wanted the largest contract in history. At some point, that contract will be topped. Why not just sign somewhere you want to play?

MastAndo

Why?

I wanted, as a Nats fan, for Philly to chase Machado and Harper. Means they didn’t improve that piss poor bullpen.
The NL East is a 4-team race, and one of the teams just got (significantly) better in one fell swoop. Say what you will about Harper, but he's most certainly a game-changing presence in any lineup.

Contract might be heavily front loaded.

Imagine if Harper just signed with the Phillies because he wanted the largest contract in history. At some point, that contract will be topped. Why not just sign somewhere you want to play?
That's exactly what he did.

Boy, this just didn't work out for him did it.

As a Nats fan, I can honestly say I thought he was a good person. But a bad teammate. Honestly I worried all offseason and even up to this announcement that my Nats were gonna resign him. He just isn't the guy for us to build around.

IDK. Maybe this Off Season lights a fire under his ass. But I watched him all 2018 season, walk to first base when he grounds out. I watched him not even leave the batters box when he hit fly balls. I watched nothing happen to him and other players benched for a day for similar shit. I seen guys traded for throwing fits. Harper was always above punishment.

Maybe he hustle for Philly. He didn't at the end for D.C. We were very good to him, and often times it was a one way relationship.

I like the team we have now. I like the lineup, Rotation, and bullpen.

But mostly I like that we don't have the Diva anymore.

Maybe if Soto hadn't emerged as he did last season, I would have thought more of Bryce. But I look at the young players we have. Soto, Robles, Keiboom, and I don't want Bryce around to poison them.

We even have a guy named Chuck Taylor... he wears Nike's tho.

I want the Nats to make one more Bullpen signing. Other than that. Bring it on N.L. East!

Gotta say I agree 100%. Talented player but the antics are tiresome. When you've constantly get it fights with other players on other teams you might have an attitude problem. When your own teammate tries to choke you in a dugout fight something is up. Also the Nat's still look incredibly strong and still have a lot of youth coming up.

He's also been insanely streaky over the past few seasons. I don't buy the injury thing. He was chasing breaking balls down and in all last season, that ain't related to injury. I never thought Harper would put everything together because he seems like the type of guy who let's his emotions get the best of him. He's not a rookie anymore and has been in the bigs for 7 seasons. What you see is what you get.

Would have been nice to have someone hitting some dongs for us on the Giants but I really didn't want him around.

Gotta say I agree 100%. Talented player but the antics are tiresome. When you've constantly get it fights with other players on other teams you might have an attitude problem. When your own teammate tries to choke you in a dugout fight something is up. Also the Nat's still look incredibly strong and still have a lot of youth coming up.

He's also been insanely streaky over the past few seasons. I don't buy the injury thing. He was chasing breaking balls down and in all last season, that ain't related to injury. I never thought Harper would put everything together because he seems like the type of guy who let's his emotions get the best of him. He's not a rookie anymore and has been in the bigs for 7 seasons. What you see is what you get.

Would have been nice to have someone hitting some dongs for us on the Giants but I really didn't want him around.
He decided to chase home runs last year at the expense of the team. Thought that power numbers would get him beyond $400 million.

The team had goals, and Bryce had his own.

Don’t get me wrong, the teams lack of health cost the Nationals their season.

But Harper playing solo didn’t help the team. Harper talking low about the fill in players this season didn’t help the team. Him not running to first on ground balls, or not leaving the batters box for fly balls didn’t help the team.

Not even going to get into his poor defense or throwing to the wrong base.

Maybe he is Pete Rose Jr for Philly. But he was never gonna try for D.C.

Blue Jays pick up Bud Norris and Clay Buchholz. You figure if Buchholz can replicate what he did last season he'll be good trade bait for the deadline.

Deadspin article on Harper contract

https://deadspin.com/these-were-bryce-harpers-other-offers-1832983665

Through reporting here and elsewhere, we now know the basic shape of Harper’s other offers. The Giants were close, with 12 years and $310 million. The Dodgers’ fascinating shorter-term bid was, according to Verducci, either four or five seasons for either $172 million or $215 million. (Jon Morosi pegs L.A.’s offer at four years and $180M). Could Harper have re-entered free agency at age 30 and signed a contract that, combined with the Dodgers’ deal, would ultimately equal what he got from the Phillies? Maybe. But it does appear that he valued the security of a lifetime contract now.

And the Nationals’ reported 10-year, $300 million offer made to Harper before the end of the regular season? It included so much deferred money (it would have paid Harper through the year 2053) that its present-day value wasn’t in the same ballpark as the other offers. $184 million, according to Verducci, or $240 million, per the Post’s Neil Greenberg. The math on deferred contracts is tricky, but since the former figure is coming via Boras and the latter via the Nats, you should feel safe pegging the true value as somewhere in between.

Sounds like Phillies had sat firm on a 10 year offer for a solid four months, but caved at end

Apparently Bryce said he only wanted to be a free agent once and unless he maintains a great output until he's 39, he'll have his wish

Its the ego of Harper.

He signed the biggest contract in history, beating Stanton by $5 million.

He will be traded (since he controls that) and be the talk at trade deadlines. Celebrated again and again by fans when their teams trade for him. Thats the purpose of the more front load payment. Makes him easy to trade after a few seasons when Philly decides to rebuild.

Salvador Perez has been diagnosed with UCL damage and could miss the entire season depending on how serious the injury is.

Too bad, he's right behind Buster as my favourite active catcher in the bigs.

Watching the Giants game, great to see Buster and Bumgarner out there. But Mike Krukow just said something interesting that I said last year regarding launch angles. Pitchers are going to be throwing a lot of letter high fastballs this year.

I believed that the art of fly ball pitching would come back due to batters going lower to lift the ball. Last decade pitchers were going lower to stay away from power, now the trend is going to reverse.

Baseball is always going to change and figure itself out. Once everyone starts getting beat upstairs they'll go back to choking up an making contact. Manfreds dumb ass rule changes aren't necessary.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ Wings 嫩翼翻せ with another wonderful job

2v1tj4.gif

2v4f16.gif

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Prediction: I’m going with the Indians to finally win the World Series. They beat the central division to a pulp, year in, year out, and also it won’t be easy but their foot hasn’t been off the gas since Terry turned this show around so I’m going with the Indians and it doesn’t matter who they play. It’s about time.

Prediction: I’m going with the Indians to finally win the World Series. They beat the central division to a pulp, year in, year out, and also it won’t be easy but their foot hasn’t been off the gas since Terry turned this show around so I’m going with the Indians and it doesn’t matter who they play. It’s about time.

They've got the depth and talent that's for sure. Their window is also closing fast so it needs to get done this year or next. But they've also looked pretty bad in their last two post season showings.

Bryce Harper can’t wait to bring a title back to D.C.

Great start

Well I’ve heard Bryce speak for 7 years. Besides saying umm a lot, most of his answers are attempting to be extremely safe. He loves putting on the jersey. He loves stepping in the batters box. Blah blah blah.

He’s been on repeat for years. Makes sense that he mixed that up.

dorkimoe

I am starting to get antsy. I need my baseball. Even though I am unsure what the Cubs are going to do onfield this year.

Not sure. I was using reddit streams for spring training, worked pretty good. I don't use MLB.Tv because I live in the state my team is in, so I wouldn't be able to ever watch them on it.
Me Too. I used a service that has an app on Fire TV changing my IP. Makes everything super easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom