• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2018 OT – I believe in the Church of Baseball

Nice to see us in the OTC, should be easier to find now!

I was watching a bit of the Mariners vs Rangers game and you should all keep an eye out for the Felix vs Beltre AB, one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile

I'm probably heading down to the Dome tonight to watch the Sox beat up on the Jays because I have nothing else to do tonight. It's the last time I'll see them play this season so I might as well.

cr0w

Old Member
Really not looking forward to the inevitable showdown my Astros are gonna have with the Sox. The way they're playing this year, it seems like they're gonna be hell on wheels and looking to get some payback for last season. I just hope half our roster isn't still out injured for the postseason.

I got to say, watching Bonds take the field one last time tonight even brought a tear to my old, cynical eye. Unfortunately the Giants are still shit, can't hit and can't get the GOAT a win on the day his number gets retired.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Boston Red Sox are now 50 games over .500. Sale pitched masterful coming back from the DL on a limited count with 12K's through 5 innings on only 68 pitches. :messenger_fire:

I wonder if Boston's plan of limiting Sale's innings/pitches will pan out in September/October. He looked nasty yesterday and against a team like the O's he probably had a shot at 21 with 4 innings to go.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wonder if Boston's plan of limiting Sale's innings/pitches will pan out in September/October. He looked nasty yesterday and against a team like the O's he probably had a shot at 21 with 4 innings to go.

The limiting was just a precaution coming back to the first game off the DL since he had some shoulder inflammation. Players tend to go balls to the wall when they come back, and coaches know this.

He was averaging 97mph on his fastball and hitting 99 and 100, so he was going in, lol.

They will ease more innings as a starts go on, and it may also work out well going into the postseason.

I was under the impression they were limiting him in general this season and trying not to have him throw more than 100ish a start, I could easily be wrong though and just read about the tentative plan in the offseason.

Also happy I stayed up to watch this Dodger meltdown. If the Giants don't lock this one down I'll put my face through the TV

NickFire

Yanks are wicked pissed. Second best team in whole league and resigned to wildcard. ESPN is even calling them to stick a force in it. They’re done.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was under the impression they were limiting him in general this season and trying not to have him throw more than 100ish a start, I could easily be wrong though and just read about the tentative plan in the offseason.

Also happy I stayed up to watch this Dodger meltdown. If the Giants don't lock this one down I'll put my face through the TV

If that is the case, it's definitely a smart move especially if he's pitching how he's pitching now. I would be more than happy for his limit to be 85-90 till the playoffs.

NickFire

If that is the case, it's definitely a smart move especially if he's pitching how he's pitching now. I would be more than happy for his limit to be 85-90 till the playoffs.
Absolutely the right call. What matters more than anything else right now is setting up for 2-3 appearances per series in the playoffs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yanks are wicked pissed. Second best team in whole league and resigned to wildcard. ESPN is even calling them to stick a force in it. They’re done.

All my life as a Red Sox fan watching baseball, playing baseball, spent time around pro teams as well as training camps... I never count the Yankees out no matter what.

However, they do not have the chemistry that this Red Sox team is running on. They "brute force" a lot of their wins (their bullpen is atrocious). The energy, excitement, chemistry, etc., is night and day in comparison between the two teams.

Brock Holt alone is the dugout mascot that gets everybody hugging and smiling. A goofier Kevin Millar if that's even possible.

This 2018 Red Sox team reminds me a lot of the '98 Yankees, just with more smiles and shaggy beards.

Last edited:
It's kind of hard to believe Puig is 27 years old and still acting like an angsty 14 year old. Shout outs to Nick Hundley for master baiting the guy into fighting him. Puig will be suspended for way longer than Hundley. Should be an entertaining game tonight

prag16

Banned
It's kind of hard to believe Puig is 27 years old and still acting like an angsty 14 year old. Shout outs to Nick Hundley for master baiting the guy into fighting him. Puig will be suspended for way longer than Hundley. Should be an entertaining game tonight
I don't understand this post. Berating Puig for acting like a hothead, while simultaneously praising Hundley for.. deliberately instigating a fight? Are you a San Fran fan by any chance?

They both come out of it looking bad, and both deserved to get ejected. Puig is more likely to get suspended due to initiating the physical aspect of the altercation. I'm not gonna give Hundley a free pass (let alone praise) for initiating the overall altercation for no reason.

Hundley got pissed because Puig almost hit him with his bat throwing shenanigans and his diva behaviour the whole series. He told him to get back in the box and then Puig got pissy. Hundley wasn't doing it because he was a hot head, he did it because he knew Puig would be dumb enough to try to punch him with a mask on and would end up with the lengthier suspension.

prag16

Banned
Hundley got pissed because Puig almost hit him with his bat throwing shenanigans and his diva behaviour the whole series. He told him to get back in the box and then Puig got pissy. Hundley wasn't doing it because he was a hot head, he did it because he knew Puig would be dumb enough to try to punch him with a mask on and would end up with the lengthier suspension.
He didn't come remotely close to hitting him with the bat. Puig is obviously in the wrong. But I'm not giving a grown ass 34 year old man a free pass for being a schmuck either.

It’s been a disappointing season for my Nationals.

Still had great times going to the ballpark. And a walkoff Harper win today.

Boston sure looks good

I just wanted to rant about the state of MLB for the moment. Selling out local broadcasting rights to cable networks and blocking local viewership was one of the most short sighted stupid ass decisions ever that has prohibited growth for the last twenty years.

The league grew the most when local games were free to watch over the air. Blocking local games behind paywalls as more and more people cut cable and move to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. It is one of the stupidest decisions ever. Online solutions don't work in some cases due to blackouts.

Obviously the move isn't working out in some cases for cable networks because whenever I watch local regular season games whether it's the Rangers or Astros you see the same 3-5 advertiser commercials every commercial break so I don't even know how they make money off of it. It would make more sense money wise if the games were broadcasted for free with higher viewership that way you can make more money off advertising.

Yea the MLB will get decent ratings during the playoffs but that's because it's pretty much free except for TBS coverage depending on if they're covering NL or AL. In fact, whenever TBS does provide online streaming coverage for free it often crashes due to high demand.

MLB keeps complaining about their growth and saying they need to "modernize the game". Without ever addressing that it might be that most people just don't have the means to watch the games. So stop with this cable shit and put local games back on local networks that can broadcast for free.

I just wanted to rant about the state of MLB for the moment. Selling out local broadcasting rights to cable networks and blocking local viewership was one of the most short sighted stupid ass decisions ever that has prohibited growth for the last twenty years.

The league grew the most when local games were free to watch over the air. Blocking local games behind paywalls as more and more people cut cable and move to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. It is one of the stupidest decisions ever. Online solutions don't work in some cases due to blackouts.

Obviously the move isn't working out in some cases for cable networks because whenever I watch local regular season games whether it's the Rangers or Astros you see the same 3-5 advertiser commercials every commercial break so I don't even know how they make money off of it. It would make more sense money wise if the games were broadcasted for free with higher viewership that way you can make more money off advertising.

Yea the MLB will get decent ratings during the playoffs but that's because it's pretty much free except for TBS coverage depending on if they're covering NL or AL. In fact, whenever TBS does provide online streaming coverage for free it often crashes due to high demand.

MLB keeps complaining about their growth and saying they need to "modernize the game". Without ever addressing that it might be that most people just don't have the means to watch the games. So stop with this cable shit and put local games back on local networks that can broadcast for free.
Are you using Fire TV

Yeah MLB seems to be so concerned with the state of the game and shrinking attendance/viewership. Maybe if they made the game more accessible (no black puts and other hassles, cheaper tickets etc...) it would help them grow. I don't think adding a pitch clock to make the game 20 minutes faster is going to help them at all.

That being said, September pennant races baby. The NL is such a glorious log jam right now, such an exciting time to be watching.

Are you using Fire TV

It won't work with the Fox Sports RSN's. It's either cable, direct TV or an internet based service like YoutubeTV or whatever.

All I'm asking for is local home games though. If there's one thing that the NFL gets right it's that the majority of their games are broadcasted for free and people living within their teams region can watch all local games.

edit: Let me rephrase that, maybe not a "majority" of their games, but the NFL still airs a lot of their games on Sunday for free and they give out way more than the MLB or NBA.

Last edited:
It won't work with the Fox Sports RSN's. It's either cable, direct TV or an internet based service like YoutubeTV or whatever.

All I'm asking for is local home games though. If there's one thing that the NFL gets right it's that the majority of their games are broadcasted for free and people living within their teams region can watch all local games.
What I do on my fire tv is...

1. MLB.tv subscription
2. Express VPN

Express VPN has an official app on Fire Tv. So I turn that on and select something outside the USA and Canada. And then it’s Black Out Free.

Not sure if that will help you.

1. MLB.tv subscription
2. Express VPN

Express VPN has an official app on Fire Tv. So I turn that on and select something outside the USA and Canada. And then it’s Black Out Free.

That still requires a subscription though :p It still doesn't change that it's behind a paywall.

If it comes to that I would rather just pay for a service that includes my Fox Sports RSN that way I can watch Mavs games and Ranger games. It might even give me San Antonio and Houston's stuff which they sometimes do.

prag16

Banned

1. MLB.tv subscription
2. Express VPN

I'll have to try this. T-Mobile has given away free MLB.tv for their customers the past few years. Now if only I could get the stupid Yahoo Sports app not to block screen mirroring for the free NFL broadcasts on there, and I'd be set and not need any subscription to anything most likely.

Jeff Bannister gets fired and once again nothing happens to Jon Daniels.........................

skYOFwB.gif

Just finished watching the highlights from last night across the league. What a wild day.

Milwaukee edging out the Cards as the runner trips rounding third.

Cubbies almost choking away the division lead to the pirates.

German Marquez tying a major league record for most consecutive K's to start a game only for it to be broken up by the pitcher Pivetta on a check swing. He would reach on an error.

Dodgers continuing to choke and giving up the division to the rockies.

Some dude tripping on a home run trot in Minnesota.

September baseball is awesome. Hoping my Giants can sweep them Dodgers at home this weekend and cockblock them out of the playoffs. It would make up for another shit season

Just finished watching the highlights from last night across the league. What a wild day.

German Marquez tying a major league record for most consecutive K's to start a game only for it to be broken up by the pitcher Pivetta on a check swing. He would reach on an error.

September baseball is awesome. Hoping my Giants can sweep them Dodgers at home this weekend and cockblock them out of the playoffs. It would make up for another shit season
I feel ya

My Nats playing a big part knocking out Philly makes me all kinds of happy.

With the postseason coming up are we going to have a new thread or keep talk in here? Maybe a new thread in the OT could encourage some members to take part

Cool, I can take a shot at the OT unless someone more talented wants to do it. Mine will be pretty bare bones, I don't know how to computer :/

Whenever I watch the Giants the play I keep wondering what year it is when I see Hunter Pence at plate.

Meh I think the MVP and Cy Young need to be seperate awards, never liked seeing pitchers get both (unless its Ohtani, which is definitely a possibility in the future). Give DeGrom a Cy and Yelich a MVP and everyone will be happy. I've always been big on Yelich (and the whole Marlins outfield of Stanton Ozuna and Ichiro) so I'd be happy to see him win one.

prag16

Banned
If it was close, I'd say sure give it to Yelich, but it isn't close. Yelich had a very good season, but nothing close to MVP caliber.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Meh I think the MVP and Cy Young need to be seperate awards, never liked seeing pitchers get both (unless its Ohtani, which is definitely a possibility in the future). Give DeGrom a Cy and Yelich a MVP and everyone will be happy. I've always been big on Yelich (and the whole Marlins outfield of Stanton Ozuna and Ichiro) so I'd be happy to see him win one.
How do they even vote for the awards? That's all I want to know.

Top Bottom