• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2018 OT – I believe in the Church of Baseball

It's Jeff

Banned
They are showing my Nats some love. As a Nats fan, I've learned to love the Regular Season lol.

Yeah, the ghosts of the Expos do you no favors. I think you have a legitimate shot this season though. You hang around the barber shop long enough, you're gonna get your hair cut.

lucius

So watching some games, I understand the need for netting but many camera shots of players, dugouts etc is through the black netting very distracting.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Dead in here. I'll start things back up by laying this down right now: I don't see the Mets losing another game all year.

giphy.gif

lil puff

Time will tell, when the Mets enter their first slump, how quickly they snap out of it.

But still, I am impressed. They aren't getting hit after hit either, they are getting critical RBIs at the right time. That is special. This team looks confident.

I love how in NYC everyone is a Yanks fan, until the Mets string a few wins in a row, then all the fake Mets fans come out. The Mets can't even squeeze an inch of a newspaper column, while the Yanks always get the spread. F that shit. Watch how that changes if the Mets continue to do well. Talk show radio hosts who barely discuss the Mets are now "oh they are looking pretty good". I hate when Yankees fans try to credit the Mets in that semi sarcastic/shocked tone.

prag16

Banned
But still, I am impressed. They aren't getting hit after hit either, they are getting critical RBIs at the right time. That is special. This team looks confident.
It's early, small sample size, etc. But all the stuff they're doing so far this year is very un-Mets-like. Taking the extra base when it's there. Clutch RBIs. Some small ball here and there. And this is all without any dominant performances from starting pitchers (aside from arguably Wheeler of all people last night). Exciting team. As you said, when they inevitably hit their first skid and lose 3-4 in a row at some point, how will they respond.

lil puff

It's early, small sample size, etc. But all the stuff they're doing so far this year is very un-Mets-like. Taking the extra base when it's there. Clutch RBIs. Some small ball here and there. And this is all without any dominant performances from starting pitchers (aside from arguably Wheeler of all people last night). Exciting team. As you said, when they inevitably hit their first skid and lose 3-4 in a row at some point, how will they respond.
Yeah, it is very early, this will be a distant blip once they get that 2-12 slump! In all seriousness, if they play like this for 2 weeks, even a few losses tossed in, I will start taking this serious, as at that point, I will believe in the manager's strategy.

Lets hope D'Arneau (sp) surprise injury isn't contagious.

So this Ohtani kid is pretty good eh?

Has legit power,speed and not too shabby on the mound.

Man did I want the Twins to get him, but I knew it would never happen. It would have been nice to get a star international after the disaster that was Byung-ho Park.

Speaking of my Twins, nice start to the year. Taking 2/3 from the champs with a walk-off from Kepler in the rubber game was sweet. I'm also really pumped about Berrios. Twins have been pitching starved for a long while, but this kid is going to be the real deal, I think.

I think the Twins have a chance to pressure the Indians this year - at least for a while.

Dead in here. I'll start things back up by laying this down right now: I don't see the Mets losing another game all year.

giphy.gif
I haven't posted not because of my Nationals lackluster offense, but my weeks have been busy. I've still watched all the games so far tho.

Hello everyone, I should introduce myself. Torontonian who grew up idolizing Bonds so I'm a Giants fan. I still go to a lot of Jays games since it's the only thing in the area. I'm seeing the Angels tomorrow night so I'll try to catch us a Trout/Ohtani dinger.

Hopefully we can get some life back into MLB-GAF. Might be challenging but I'll try to post frequently.

Hello everyone, I should introduce myself. Torontonian who grew up idolizing Bonds so I'm a Giants fan. I still go to a lot of Jays games since it's the only thing in the area. I'm seeing the Angels tomorrow night so I'll try to catch us a Trout/Ohtani dinger.

Hopefully we can get some life back into MLB-GAF. Might be challenging but I'll try to post frequently.
Please do. That would be awesome

Bumgarner makes his debut tonight! Been waiting all season but surprisingly the Giants have stayed a .500 team despite the starting rotation being awful and a series of injuries to the middle infielders. Should be an awesome game.

And a huge lol at Judge striking out 8 times yesterday. Somebody invent a new sombrero quick.

MC Safety

The Mets are awful and progressing to whatever's worse than awful.

Brave marine Sandy Alderson fought the good fight, but he's gone now. With luck, the Wilpons will be swept away, too and the Mets can have a fresh start.
(This is not to say I hope Alderson does not recover. By all accounts, he's a very smart man with a very luckless job.)

Ohtani-san is the real fuckin deal y'all. Just crushed another dong, which in itself is impressive. But watch his AB's from tonight vs vet James Shields. First AB he K's ohtani, gets him to chase curves and change up's. Next time ohtani doesn't bite and draws the walk with a full count, recognizes the pitches out of Shields hand. Next AB crushes the first ball he sees to RF. Not just a powerhouse hitter/pitcher but he's extremely smart and makes adjustments quickly.

prag16

Banned
Ohtani-san is the real fuckin deal y'all. Just crushed another dong, which in itself is impressive. But watch his AB's from tonight vs vet James Shields. First AB he K's ohtani, gets him to chase curves and change up's. Next time ohtani doesn't bite and draws the walk with a full count, recognizes the pitches out of Shields hand. Next AB crushes the first ball he sees to RF. Not just a powerhouse hitter/pitcher but he's extremely smart and makes adjustments quickly.

Haha to be fair, this happened to James Shields two years ago: https://nypost.com/2016/05/08/what-its-like-to-give-up-a-home-run-to-bartolo-colon/

That said, Ohtani is impressive. Too bad he's done as a pitcher for this season.

Went to the Jays' game yesterday. That was a fucking long one and no payoff either. It's a good game but I just wish that everyone pitched with the pace of Buerhle at times. There were about 3 half hour plus innings.

NickFire

Sox were robbed last night. 5 runs washed off the board due to rain. MLB trying its best to keep things close in the east. Ok, maybe it was just rain but still. 5 runs lost. SMH

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sox were robbed last night. 5 runs washed off the board due to rain. MLB trying its best to keep things close in the east. Ok, maybe it was just rain but still. 5 runs lost. SMH

That is all on Baltimore (since the home team has the say). They have handled the rain delays very poorly the entire series. Cora spoke up about them knowing the game was going to be a washout, yet they went ahead with it anyways. That is how players get hurt, or you impact their routines.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24195492/boston-red-sox-irritated-rainout-game-baltimore-orioles

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/news/jd-martinez-mookie-benintendi-lose-homers/c-287342648

Of course a last place team with nothing to lose would be "jerks" and handle it poorly. Just like their entire front office with the team itself.

Last edited:

NickFire

That is all on Baltimore (since the home team has the say). They have handled the rain delays very poorly the entire series. Cora spoke up about them knowing the game was going to be a washout, yet they went ahead with it anyways. That is how players get hurt, or you impact their routines.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24195492/boston-red-sox-irritated-rainout-game-baltimore-orioles

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/news/jd-martinez-mookie-benintendi-lose-homers/c-287342648

Of course a last place team with nothing to lose would be "jerks" and handle it poorly. Just like their entire front office with the team itself.
Well, it seems the O's control the start but the umpires decide if they will call the game. I do agree that its bull though that the O's can start a game knowing what the weather holds, work a pitcher and give up big runs, and then get it wiped. Certainly allows the home team to cook the books to an extent and that should not be allowed. They should give the away team the option to resume or restart the game in circumstances like that.

lil puff

The Mets are awful and progressing to whatever's worse than awful.

Brave marine Sandy Alderson fought the good fight, but he's gone now. With luck, the Wilpons will be swept away, too and the Mets can have a fresh start.
(This is not to say I hope Alderson does not recover. By all accounts, he's a very smart man with a very luckless job.)
What is after "worse than awful" ?

This is embarrassing. I never thought I'd see the day when I would be disappointed to see Tim Tebow hurt. If Cespedes wasn't twice my size, I would.... I'd type something bad about him on the internet LOL. But injuries are not an excuse for any of this.

If I were them I would have cut Mickey out of there about a month ago. As long as we accept losing like this, we fortify the cancerous culture. There has to be more to this than a bunch of guys not getting hits. The team's at bats are about as nonchalant as the manager. They swing as if they're attempting to swat a pesky fly while eating BBQ at a picnic.

MC Safety

What is after "worse than awful" ?

Thor getting struck down by a disease normally associated with babies and toddlers.

This is embarrassing. I never thought I'd see the day when I would be disappointed to see Tim Tebow hurt. If Cespedes wasn't twice my size, I would.... I'd type something bad about him on the internet LOL. But injuries are not an excuse for any of this.

If I were them I would have cut Mickey out of there about a month ago. As long as we accept losing like this, we fortify the cancerous culture. There has to be more to this than a bunch of guys not getting hits. The team's at bats are about as nonchalant as the manager. They swing as if they're attempting to swat a pesky fly while eating BBQ at a picnic.

The New York Mess are too old and too used to losing. They can do some small things like cut bait on Reyes, Bautista, Frazier, and David Wright. I'd keep Mickey Callaway because he at least recognizes the Mess are doing some fundamentally bad things -- and that starts at the minor league level. Or maybe I just like the guy because he's not Terrible Terry Collins.

The next step would be to get a general manager. Not three. One guy.

The pipe dream would be for the Wilpons to divest themselves of the Mess.

lil puff

Thor getting struck down by a disease normally associated with babies and toddlers.

The New York Mess are too old and too used to losing. They can do some small things like cut bait on Reyes, Bautista, Frazier, and David Wright. I'd keep Mickey Callaway because he at least recognizes the Mess are doing some fundamentally bad things -- and that starts at the minor league level. Or maybe I just like the guy because he's not Terrible Terry Collins.

The next step would be to get a general manager. Not three. One guy.

I can not come up with any scenario that leads to this.

I think the fans would have no problem with a few seasons just bringing young talent up. They say "No you can't do that in NY!" BS. In this case you can. Even the Knicks are doing it.

Why is David Wright even here? I did not mind Reyes at first, but his usefulness in helping Rosario has worn off. I also feel sorry for their starting pitchers. Let them go off to a real team and win. They don't deserve this shit.

prag16

Banned
This is the only step that could really set things down the path of fixing the franchise. You can get a flash in the pan like 2015, but a setup for any kind of sustained success? With the Wilpons at the helm... I will not be holding my breath. -_-

oagboghi2

I just want to say you all are blessed to be alive to see my Oakland athletics on their Cinderella run to the world series. You can tell your grandkids how you picked the wrong team at the start of the season.

Last edited:
I just want to say you all are blessed to be alive to see my Oakland athletics on their Cinderella run to the world series. You can tell your grandkids how you picked the wrong team at the start of the season.

I'm sure they'll choke in embarrassing fashion in the ALDS like they always do :p

Dereck Rodriguez has been a stud for the Giants his season. 7 IP tonight with 3 hits and 7Ks against the Astros, lowering the Era to a cool 2.34. Throwing to his dad Pudge and future HOFer Buster Posey, kid won the catcher lottery twice

oagboghi2

I'm sure they'll choke in embarrassing fashion in the ALDS like they always do :p

Dereck Rodriguez has been a stud for the Giants his season. 7 IP tonight with 3 hits and 7Ks against the Astros, lowering the Era to a cool 2.34. Throwing to his dad Pudge and future HOFer Buster Posey, kid won the catcher lottery twice
don't say things like that. The baseball gods are listening

Top Bottom