• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 19 | OT | Baseball is the most important thing in the world, but MLB The Show is pretty good, too.

2wuk8d.jpg

MLB The Show 19

PS4, PS4 Pro

March 26, 2019

Welcome to the MLB The Show 19 OT! What can I say that hasn't been said in last years OT? Well, a bunch of improvements have been made as well as new features have been added. New Game Modes, new additions to legends, reworks to existing Game Modes. New animations.

I'm not going to give you an information dump here. It's an annual game for christ sakes. It's the same game as MLB The Show 06 (Fuck I'm old) just... better. Thats why Sony San Diego Studio isn't above. It's been covered FFS. Many OT's for the same information.

I had an information dump of a OT written up. I hated it. I did a bunch of research and realized it was like previous The Show OT's expect for a new year. And that's not what this game is imo. Yes its an annual release series. And while that makes sense for new IP's, it feels dirty for this right now. Don't like it? Make a new OT to replace this one.

Let's get into it. First here's a trailer to admire. It has a ton of new stuff, or rather reworks from previous years.

Yeah Bryce Harper is the cover athlete, no he isn't in that trailer since he hadn't sign with a team yet.

First... Road To The Show. My favorite Game Mode. Actually it's the only one I play. You create a character, play the game in plays that only involve your player (Hitting, Fielding, Pitching). Games are fast and you earn points to put towards categories you want to get better at. Previous years have included interactions with Coaching Staff and Agents.

How we will create our character has changed. They've retooled the player archetypes.

Pitching Archetypes are
Plain Filthy - Moves Ball Well
Flamethrower - Hard Throwers
Control Freak - Controls Pitches Well

Positional Archetypes are
Pure Power - Power Hitter
Small Ball - Contact High : )
Mr. Utility - Situational Player
Rock Steady - Good All Around
Anomaly - Abnormal player for the position.

Best news here... you will not be capped in categories. So you can make that 99 overall 99 in every category player. But it will be harder to make that Power Hitter a 99 contact hitter.

New training mini games (as seen in trailer), you get an apartment to decorate and customize, more depth to the dialogue choices.

A YouTuber by the name of Emmdotfrisk does pretty good information videos on the game. He has a bunch and covers the game well.

I'm really excited for all the new and reworked off the field stuff.

Speaking of reworks, a big addition coming to this years game is Defensive improvements. I heard the Devs talk a lot about how they were unhappy with how well hitters were represented in the game but how that didn't translate to the defensive side of the game.

They talk efficiency. How the A.I is improved to allow you to field and throw to the base better. So they eliminated that weird faster runner and slacking infielder shit that was in years previous. Will we still be screaming at our player acting lazy in their throws? They say no.

1,300 new animations!!! But they aren't giving all these animations to every player. Sounds weird at first but it allows the top players access to certain animations. Its a good decision imo.

They are adding more than 30 new Legends also.

Confirmed so far *Taken from The Show Nation sticky written by Fear The Fork ASU HERE!!! *
1. Christy Mathewson (First gameplay trailer)
2. Ty Cobb (First gameplay trailer)
3. Jason Kendall (First gameplay trailer)
4. Rob Dibble (First gameplay trailer)
5. Willie Mays (First gameplay trailer)
6. Jimmie Foxx (Defense Overhaul Twitch stream)
7. Iván "Pudge" Rodríguez (Hitting Twitch stream)
8. Cliff Lee (GameStop Monday RTTS video - Feb. 18)
9. Andruw Jones (RTTS Twitch stream)
10. Walter Johnson (RTTS Twitch stream)
11. Kerry Wood (Moments Twitch stream)
12. Cy Young (Moments Twitch stream)
13. Mark Prior (Moments Twitch stream)
14. Rogers Hornsby (Moments Twitch stream)
15. Lou Gehrig (March to October Twitch stream)
16. Hal Newhouser (Diamond Dynasty Twitch stream)
17. Bret Boone (Diamond Dynasty Twitch stream)
18. Don Mattingly (Diamond Dynasty Twitch stream)
19. A.J. Burnett (Diamond Dynasty Twitch stream)
20. Rickey Henderson (GameStop Monday Legends & Flashbacks video - Mar. 18)
21. Torii Hunter (Dev Tournament Twitch stream)

To go along with all the Legends is a new Moments mode. You get to relive via The Show MLB History for players and teams. And they will be adding moments into the game that happen as this season goes on.

I'm skeptical of this Moments mode honestly. Maybe it will be cool. But I doubt anything can come close to the real Willie Mays plays he is a legend because of. We will see.

Diamond Dynasty

Its still here. It's better, it's improved. What more do you want? They've added new legends and flash back players.

They removed Souvenirs, Ticket Counters, and Immortals.

Moments mode will be worked into Diamond Dynasty. Here is a link for the information dump on this years Diamond Dynasty Click here for that NERD! I don't really play that mode.

Online Franchise Mode!!!
Nope.

There is another new Game Mode called March To October. Sounds sort of like a mix between Franchise mode and Road To The Show. You select your team and only play the key moments in a game.

This is one I will definitely try. It promises "unique narrative commentary content will progressively and dynamically unfold the essential story of your chosen MLB club’s campaign." Yeah we've heard this shit before. And you start to hear the same commentary over and over.

You will be delivered from episode to episode with maximal action and intrigue, and minimal menu interfacing. It’s all about getting your team to the postseason and beyond. Can you elevate your performance to meet the increasingly big moments that emerge down the stretch? Your poise under pressure will determine the fate of your chosen team’s season.

But the Game Mode does sound awesome overall

Read this Blog Post about March To October HERE!!! DON'T WATCH THE FIRST VIDEO! seriously it's 7 seconds long and contains nothing. Why even make that one Sony? Cunts.

Editions
You can buy the game. You can buy the game and give them even more money for "stubs and packs". And you can even give them more money at GameStop" and get a hat. Do you. Here is a link to all the editions HERE! I'm just buying the Standard Game.

Overall, I'm excited for this year. Here is my thoughts.

1. It's better than previous years. Especially Road To The Show and Diamond Dynasty.
2. They added more stuff. Legends and FlashBack Players. Stuff to further customize your player.
3. They added a few new Game Modes and features that may or may not be in next years game depending on how the community receives them.

Darklor01 Darklor01 was kind enough to inform me of the Pro choices. Like last year you can choose between frame rate, resolution, or balance. Thanks for the information.

Here is a great video for a complete rundown of the game so far by a professional website and writer HERE!!!

Thanks for reading. Lets talk about MLB The Show just like we did in previous years... only better :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

My baseball game fire died on the 360 and I never got around to trying The Show really as I just played other stuff.

I'll probably pick this up.

My baseball game fire died on the 360 and I never got around to trying The Show really as I just played other stuff.

I'll probably pick this up.
Definitely.

The core of the game is really good. I’m a Road To The Show player, so I recommend that.

The only major complaint I hear about this game is the removal of online franchise mode. And the online play isn’t elite server wise.

But honestly this game is a top console game every year. Consistently the best sports game year after year.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Been playing since Saturday. None of the online features work yet, so, I’ve been playing Road to the Show almost the entire time. I like the new mini games for training for the most part. The game does look sharper to me. I’m also happy I was able to specify which league, region, and/or team I wanted to play for. Not much else I have an impression on just yet.

Edit: personally, I did like last year’s intro better.

Last edited:
Been playing since Saturday. None of the online features work yet, so, I’ve been playing Road to the Show almost the entire time. I like the new mini games for training for the most part. The game does look sharper to me. I’m also happy I was able to specify which league, region, and/or team I wanted to play for. Not much else I have an impression on just yet.

Edit: personally, I did like last year’s intro better.
You playing on the Pro?

Darklor01

Can you tell us all the options? Same as last year?

Options are pretty much the same as last year for visuals and presentation.. etc. most other options are inaccessible without connection to their servers which isn’t available just yet.

There are many more RTTS interactions, training options, role on the team options for personality and things like that. I like the challenges the game throws at you mid game in RTTS too.

Options are pretty much the same as last year for visuals and presentation.. etc. most other options are inaccessible without connection to their servers which isn’t available just yet.

There are many more RTTS interactions, training options, role on the team options for personality and things like that. I like the challenges the game throws at you mid game in RTTS too.
I appreciate the info. I’ll update the OP.

Any impressions you want to drop here I’m sure will be appreciated by everyone else.

Darklor01

I appreciate the info. I’ll update the OP.

Any impressions you want to drop here I’m sure will be appreciated by everyone else.

Since I’ve only been toiling around in RTTS mode, my impression is limited. I don’t remember nearly as many player customization options last year. It’s nice you can pick a country of origin by flag. One of the selections gave a trophy. I picked it because it was odd. Don’t want to spoil the trophy though.

Hitting with dynamic difficulty on seems reasonably balanced. I generally play Balanced Mode. In this mode, play seems pretty smooth and no hickups that stood out that I can recall. The graphics in this mode seem sharper to me.

Unlike last year, I didn’t see the option to edit my players gear, like a stat boost bat or glove for example. Either that’s removed or I can’t find it. Maybe it isn’t there for the minors? Don’t know.

Edit: I’m sure the new Moments and other modes as well as Diamond Dynasty will unlock tomorrow at some point.

Last edited:
Since I’ve only been toiling around in RTTS mode, my impression is limited. I don’t remember nearly as many player customization options last year. It’s nice you can pick a country of origin by flag. One of the selections gave a trophy. I picked it because it was odd. Don’t want to spoil the trophy though.

Hitting with dynamic difficulty on seems reasonably balanced. I generally play Balanced Mode. In this mode, play seems pretty smooth and no hickups that stood out that I can recall. The graphics in this mode seem sharper to me.

Unlike last year, I didn’t see the option to edit my players gear, like a stat boost bat or glove for example. Either that’s removed or I can’t find it. Maybe it isn’t there for the minors? Don’t know.

Edit: I’m sure the new Moments and other modes as well as Diamond Dynasty will unlock tomorrow at some point.
I think the gear is tied to the packs you open. Will be there when online starts.

Can you select the team you want to play on this year? I think last year you couldn’t and had to enter the draft.

Darklor01

Yes, you can select league, region, and team. I got straight into the minor leagues of the team I selected.

Yes, classic mode is still in like last year. Off to work :(

Darklor01

I kept getting my butt whooped online.. ended up sticking to RTTS.

Besides.. I love creating players with damn names. Last year I made a pitcher named Fingers Maballzak and a power RF named Daddy McSmashy. So far, made a 1B named Weakey McHackey for ‘19 RTTS.

Edit: Oh, and the audio for this year’s first player calls him Dirtbag Yellowhorse.

Last edited:
I kept getting my butt whooped online.. ended up sticking to RTTS.

Besides.. I love creating players with damn names. Last year I made a pitcher named Fingers Maballzak and a power RF named Daddy McSmashy. So far, made a 1B named Weakey McHackey for ‘19 RTTS.

Edit: Oh, and the audio for this year’s first player calls him Dirtbag Yellowhorse.
Haha. Nice

I tend to stick with balanced mode on Pro. What about everyone else? The framerate mode is nice too
Balanced. But I heard the higher the difficulty the faster the pitch will be on screen. So I may need to prioritize framerate

I will never see these higher difficulties lol

Darklor01

Anything anyone want me to check? Keep in mind that servers are still not up, so, I can’t access new modes, or online modes.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Play on highest difficulty yet?

Also is there a noticeable improvement for defensive animations?

I was playing on Dynamic difficulty. Hadn’t got to All-Star. Was doing alright with pure analog swing, no zone guessing .

The animations are nicer, and smooth on balanced. I think the running game got a bit easier than last year.

I was playing on Dynamic difficulty. Hadn’t got to All-Star. Was doing alright with pure analog swing, no zone guessing .

The animations are nicer, and smooth on balanced. I think the running game got a bit easier than last year.
Is it still Topps prospect game to start RttS? Dialogue with advisor, then draft.

Darklor01

Is it still Topps prospect game to start RttS? Dialogue with advisor, then draft.

I rushed through but I think so.

It has a bit of hitting (I made a position player) which the game judged me on. Then, the games like last year to judge your ability, then draft. The first part was new.

Dialogue with advisor was after draft.

Last edited:
I rushed through but I think so.

It has a bit of hitting (I made a position player) which the game judged me on. Then, the games like last year to judge your ability, then draft. The first part was new.
Are you a humble, just happy to play baseball player or arrogant? With your dialogue choices I mean.

Every year I want to be the arrogant hotshot, very maverick like. But I can’t bring myself to do it lol.

Darklor01

Are you a humble, just happy to play baseball player or arrogant? With your dialogue choices I mean.

Every year I want to be the arrogant hotshot, very maverick like. But I can’t bring myself to do it lol.

Lol. I always play humble. The reason for that is all about not wanting in any way to have a personality like Alex Rodríguez. For that reason, I selected to be heart and soul of team with captain as a secondary personality choice. Maverick and Lightning Rod would kill that.

Lol. I always play humble. The reason for that is all about not wanting in any way to have a personality like Alex Rodríguez. For that reason, I selected to be heart and soul of team with captain as a secondary personality choice. Maverick and Lightning Rod would kill that.
I never say no. They ask me to change position I do even if I don’t want to.

Is those personality traits new this year?

I don’t remember them from last year.

Darklor01

I never say no. They ask me to change position I do even if I don’t want to.

Is those personality traits new this year?

I don’t remember them from last year.

Yes. Personality traits are new. You use them to build relationships with others in your club. There is also an opposite for using these traits when talking in Rivalries.

You select two traits to use overall. You can use any of the four (Captain, Heart and Soul, Maverick, or Lightning Rod). When a training opp comes up, you can use that time to do training or to use personality influence within your clubhouse or select rivalries to fuel a rivalry. When choosing clubhouse, you interact with one of three teammates to talk them through a slump or praise them for something using a personality trait. You gain levels as you keep using a trait with the same player. Same applies in how you talk to one of three rival players at a time.

When asked to try a new position, I agreed, and generally do. I tried the new position and did well. The manager put me back to the natural position anyway.

Yes. Personality traits are new. You use them to build relationships with others in your club. There is also an opposite for using these traits when talking in Rivalries.

You select two traits to use overall. You can use any of the four (Captain, Heart and Soul, Maverick, or Lightning Rod). When a training opp comes up, you can use that time to do training or to use personality influence within your clubhouse or select rivalries to fuel a rivalry. When choosing clubhouse, you interact with one of three teammates to talk them through a slump or praise them for something using a personality trait. You gain levels as you keep using a trait with the same player. Same applies in how you talk to one of three rival players at a time.

When asked to try a new position, I agreed, and generally do. I tried the new position and did well. The manager put me back to the natural position anyway.
Maybe you should have done the OT lol

That sounds cool. I really want to be a cocky shithead now.

I wonder if Django is in the spoken names. If it is, I am making a Django character :messenger_beaming:

Darklor01

Maybe you should have done the OT lol

That sounds cool. I really want to be a cocky shithead now.

I wonder if Django is in the spoken names. If it is, I am making a Django character :messenger_beaming:

Nah. Your OT is good. I agree that the iterative stuff makes it not need the flood of info. If I didn’t get an early UPS delivery, I would be waiting like in usually do along with everyone else. That said, since the damn servers are offline *]%}*{+]%.. I cant see much else. Lol.

I think you should make a complete ahole to see if it makes a difference. I acted like one last year in the minors and I can’t say it made much difference.

Nah. Your OT is good. I agree that the iterative stuff makes it not need the flood of info. If I didn’t get an early UPS delivery, I would be waiting like in usually do along with everyone else. That said, since the damn servers are offline *]%}*{+]%.. I cant see much else. Lol.

I think you should make a complete ahole to see if it makes a difference. I acted like one last year in the minors and I can’t say it made much difference.
Be a total asshole... for science lol.

Challenge accepted.

Catphish

I may hit you up. I'm not much of an online player tho.
I'm not, either. Usually because the majority of online players behave like they're on fking Adderall.

I like to go slow, take time between pitches, and just chill. I high-anxiety kind of chill. :)

I'm not, either. Usually because the majority of online players behave like they're on fking Adderall.

I like to go slow, take time between pitches, and just chill. I high-anxiety kind of chill. :)
I'll hit you up this weekend at the latest definitely

RTTS first for me

How friendly is the gameplay for a person who never played a game in the series?
It’s designed to allow casual play and high level play.

I play with disabling the complex mechanics. So I only use single buttons to bat. I’m not using the analog sticks or anything.

They allow you to shorten and speed up games.

It’s for pick up and play all the way to deep rpg players

Top Bottom