• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

super.modulaire

Neo Member
Guy Martin will race again at the Isle of Man TT (and a few other road races like the Ulster GP). And for the first time with the official Honda Racing team. Good news!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/38661790

img_20170118_134529hsqay.jpg

Mastah

Yeah, from unofficial reports it was fatal. Waiting for confirmation.

Hopefully rally won't be affected by actions of one silly person.

edit: There it is:

Passed out? Well, that's one way to put it when he was resuscitated for 20 minutes.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Terrible news.

Indeed.

Spectators on rally events are often putting their own life in danger, with standing on dangerous places. And it is nearly impossible to cover every corner of the stage with stewards, especially in the dark.

Very sad.

Some serious lawyer speak in that statement from Hyundai. The incident happened at the same time as Paddon crashed not because of.

Not sure of the consequences to Hyundai but a little research suggests the Rally organisers would be held accountable as it was in a closed rally stage not a transport stage.

Jezbollah

Extremely sad news :(

In situations like this the spectators are advised that they alone are accountable for any incidents should they be located in dangerous spots. Unfortunately due to the nature of Rallying there is only a fraction of the course that can be controlled for this kind of eventuality.

xrnzaaas

Sad news indeed, but yeah, it's impossible to cover the entire stage 24/7.

It was a nice gesture from Hyundai to retire Paddon's car from the rest of the rally and I won't even guess how that death could affect Paddon.

Business

That's a really strange accident. The car doesn't seem to touch the person at any time, and the fall doesn't seem that bad to be fatal. Did the person get unsettled by the crash or just scared and fell down? Anyhow just really unlucky.

edit: damn you are right Mastah totally missed it.

edit 2: it was a Spanish spectator.

xrnzaaas

Is there a WRC thread I'm not seeing or is this sport not popular enough on GAF?

Anyway pretty disappointing day for Citroen. Ogier is doing a great job and he would be close to Neuville if it wasn't for that mistake.

B.K.

Yeah. Brian France continues to be the worst thing that ever happened to NASCAR.

Those changes could include such things as a new points system, awarding points for leading race segments, new qualifying procedures and perhaps running the Chase race at Charlotte Motor Speedway on the track's infield circuit.

NASCAR is expected to divide races into segments, and drivers would get points depending on their running order at the end of each segment, according to industry sources. The news conference Monday will detail the new points distribution system with the goal that drivers will have to compete for spots early in the event rather than having the option to bide their time until the end of the race before making a move.

Bill France Sr and Jr would both be rolling in their graves if they knew what this idiot is doing. There are a few races I'll watch, but I won't be watching every race this season, if they really do the segments and I definitely won't go out of my way to be free on Sundays to watch races.

Loxley

I'm starting to get into watching rally racing and I'm really enjoying it so far. As far as rally is concerned, is each individual race it's own contained event? Meaning there's no year-long build-up to some big, final race? I'm very new to motorsport in general so I'm just trying to grasp the basics of how the races are set up. As a side note, I subscribed to WRC+ and so far it's definitely been worth it. The app is surprisingly good. Being able to watch race replays and highlights has been very useful since a lot of the races in Monte Carlo happened while I was asleep since I'm in the US.

Speaking of the US, as far as drivers go, do we typically not have much of a presence in WRC?

Robaperas

I'm starting to get into watching rally racing and I'm really enjoying it so far. As far as rally is concerned, is each individual race it's own contained event? Meaning there's no year-long build-up to some big, final race? I'm very new to motorsport in general so I'm just trying to grasp the basics of how the races are set up. As a side note, I subscribed to WRC+ and so far it's definitely been worth it. The app is surprisingly good. Being able to watch race replays and highlights has been very useful since a lot of the races in Monte Carlo happened while I was asleep since I'm in the US.

Speaking of the US, as far as drivers go, do we typically not have much of a presence in WRC?

No, there's no final event, the driver and co-driver with the most points at the end win the championship, and the same goes for the manufacturers championship, in the last few years both have been decided a few races before the end. I hope the new cars bring excitement until the last event.

Chris R

Did you guys see the new format for NASCAR in '17?

each race is broken down into 3 stages with cautions in between.

It's really dumb, but it isn't as dumb as I thought they were going to go.

I'll hold my final decision until I see it in action, probably wont end up watching every race this year though.

B.K.

Details on NASCAR's clusterfuck of a format change.

• Races will now consist of three stages, with championship implications in each stage.

• The top-10 finishers of the first two stages will be awarded additional championship points.

• The winner of the first two stages of each race will receive one playoff point, and the race winner will receive five playoff points. Each playoff point will be added to his or her reset total following race No. 26, if that competitor makes the playoffs.

• All playoff points will carry through to the end of the third round of the playoffs (Round of 8), with the Championship 4 racing straight-up at Homestead-Miami Speedway for the title.
• Championship points following the first two stages will be awarded on a descending scale, with the stage winner receiving 10 points, second receiving 9 points, and so on.

• The race winner following the final stage will now receive 40 points, second-place will receive 35, third-place 34, fourth-place 33, and so on.

The sooner Brian France is gone, the better. He and Bruton Smith are destroying NASCAR.

dubc35

Guy Martin will race again at the Isle of Man TT (and a few other road races like the Ulster GP). And for the first time with the official Honda Racing team. Good news!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/38661790

img_20170118_134529hsqay.jpg
I'm not a big bike fan but the TT is legendary level of Motorsport! Has Guy still not won it?

Welcome! Rally is awesome! WRC+ looks like a good deal but I haven't subbed yet. Try to watch anything they air live (I know timing sucks for the US but will be better for Mexico and South American rallies). Live rally is so good.

Nope, not many Americans in WRC. Ken Block actually rallied for a couple seasons in the WRC but was not very successful. Rally America, or whatever the series is called now, will have a bunch of Americans (and plenty of other nationalities).

dubc35

Rolex 24h starts tomorrow, some on track action today as well (times are ET).
FRIDAY, January 27
— 9:20-9:40 a.m.: Practice 5-Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge
— 10-11 a.m.: Practice 4-WeatherTech SportsCar Championship
— 12:15 p.m.: BMW Endurance Challenge at Daytona (4 hours)

SATURDAY, January 28
— 2:30-11:59 p.m.: 55th Rolex 24 at Daytona (Coverage: 2-5 p.m. on FOX; 5-10 p.m. on FS2; 10-11 p.m. on FOX Sports GO; 11 p.m.-Midnight on FS2)

SUNDAY, January 29
— 12 a.m.-2:40 p.m.: 55th Rolex 24 at Daytona (Coverage: Midnight-1 p.m. on FS2; 1-3 p.m. on FS1)

I wish Fox didn't suck so much and you could watch stuff online for content that airs on Fox (the main one, not FS1 or FS2). Oh well, I'll have to keep my eye open for a stream.

Chris R

Rolex 24h starts tomorrow, some on track action today as well (times are ET).

I wish Fox didn't suck so much and you could watch stuff online for content that airs on Fox (the main one, not FS1 or FS2). Oh well, I'll have to keep my eye open for a stream.

Hope you find one :( I'll be watching whenever I wake up.

dubc35

Hope you find one :( I'll be watching whenever I wake up.

I'm positive I can find one, may not be the best quality though, lol.

For people outside the US (or VPN) IMSA.tv is streaming the entire race. Starts 2:15 ET according to the website! I think green flag is scheduled for 2:30ET.

NHale

The amount of cautions in this race absolutely ruined any excitement I had for it. There has to be a better way to clear a racetrack of a stalled car or a piece of debris than just having a safety car for 20 minutes allowing everyone to get close together again, which made all the close battles in the end seem like plastic. The amount of cautions turned this into a 40 minute sprint race instead of a 24 hour endurance race which is a shame.

To me "Code 60" is more than enough to help stalled cars and clear the track (if they can do it with the huge grid at Dubai they can do it anywhere). Only heavy rain, big crash, safety problems with tyre barrier/guardrails should require a safety car in endurance races. But at the same time I understand that people like a good fight for the lead to last until the end.

I just hope the 12hours of Bathurst don't disappoint.

Loxley

No, there's no final event, the driver and co-driver with the most points at the end win the championship, and the same goes for the manufacturers championship, in the last few years both have been decided a few races before the end. I hope the new cars bring excitement until the last event.

I'm not a big bike fan but the TT is legendary level of Motorsport! Has Guy still not won it?

Welcome! Rally is awesome! WRC+ looks like a good deal but I haven't subbed yet. Try to watch anything they air live (I know timing sucks for the US but will be better for Mexico and South American rallies). Live rally is so good.

Nope, not many Americans in WRC. Ken Block actually rallied for a couple seasons in the WRC but was not very successful. Rally America, or whatever the series is called now, will have a bunch of Americans (and plenty of other nationalities).

Thanks for the info guys!

I love this montage of drone/helicopter footage from the Monte Carlo rally, talk about a great way to few the races. Part of what drew me to watching rally racing was just the shear variety of locales.

AkTK3TW.gif

HSq3Puu.gif

5kEInPl.gif

dubc35

^ Nice gifs! That is what I was talking about with live rally stages: a lot of the footage is from the helicopters. That plus the split times and seeing how the stage evolves is great stuff. I wish I could watch more of it!

-----

I didn't get to watch as much of Daytona as I would have liked to. I tried to keep up via the mfg onboard cameras on imsa.tv + radio Le Mans. Glad to welcome in the 2017 endurance racing season though!

Driving the R18

I'm going to miss this car.

As will I. What a poignant shot at the very end. Thanks for posting this.

Top Gear magazine was similarly insightful in describing their experience with the car, but the impact of Audi's sudden withdrawal from prototype racing on the R18's crew are what really stuck with me. To have nearly two decades of excellence brought to a close so unceremoniously had to sting, and they certainly felt as much.

Chris R

Holy cow, MotoGP tickets are expensive! I'll be in Austin the week of the race but don't know if I'll be at the race or not :\

The Ferrari has been the class of the field, pretty much untouchable. Only the outrageous talent of SVG and some car position have held up the Ferrari. The BMWs were most likely but all had trouble.

SVG playing for keeps. First gives the Ferrari a fake out at 280km/h and then punts off a Porsche. Gotta get a penalty for that.

Edit: Well no need for a penalty now. Bentley on the Podium.

Edit2: Holy shit, Maro Engel just threw SVG, his teammate, under the bus on live TV! Accused him of making mistakes all weekend.

Top Bottom