• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

TJP

On the COTA MotoGP race, it seemed clear Marquez was just comfortable behind Dani and didn't want to do any mistakes, specially after Mav crashed. His tyre choice was also H H to Pedrosa's M H if I recall correctly. Rossi needs a massive improvement now in Europe or the title seems a Marquez Viñales thing, but it's still nice to see him on top of the standings. Zarco has to be the highlight of the beginning of the season though.
It can be rather hard to write about the events post race without giving a lot away! Very happy for Marc (much needed for the championship) but I'm also very happy for Zarco as the jump from Moto2 to MotoGP is very hard for most riders. Hopefully Viñales learns from his early exit. Rossi just keeps on doing the job on the other factory Yamaha which seems to pay dividends by the end of the season.

The penalty Rossi got was laughable; Race Direction are always making me scratch my head as the penatly did SFA to the end result.

In regards to Pedrosa and Marquez, I read Marc prefers the hard front tyre because of its sidewalls being stiffer; Rossi and Marquez seem to dislike the new front tyre construction although the factory Yamaha riders don't seem to be suffering too much. Marquez needs the Honda to improve greatly IMO as his mastery of COTA seems to mask a few issues with the Honda.

Business

Well Rossi gained some time advantage, maybe he should have dropped back a little in relation to the Honda but I agree it was harsh.

About Honda I can see how the Yamaha may be better overall but I think Honda is by no means far away and in some circuits it's better. Pedrosa underperforming for years makes it look worst that it actually is and I think Crutchlow's performance proves it.

TJP

Well Rossi gained some time advantage, maybe he should have dropped back a little in relation to the Honda but I agree it was harsh.
Race Direction have been laughably soft for years and all of a sudden they are making idiotic decisions like a 0.3 second penalty

About Honda I can see how the Yamaha may be better overall but I think Honda is by no means far away and in some circuits it's better. Pedrosa underperforming for years makes it look worst that it actually is and I think Crutchlow's performance proves it.
Matt Oxley seems to think the tyres and Honda's development direction needs to be addressed:
the RC213V was originally conceived to take advantage of Bridgestone’s ultra-high-performing slick during braking and corner entry. The bike still retains its original character and therefore needs a stiff-construction front

You can read the article here: http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/motogp/hondas-failed-great-escape

Chris R

Good on Jr for getting out while he's still somewhat healthy.

Probably shouldn't have come back at all after the latest concussion, but whatever.

Mastah

Meeke:

C-p24c4XkAE-Lav.jpg

Robaperas

Can't help to feel a bit for Evans. Good for Neuville though, now imagine he didn't throw away two certain wins in Montecarlo and Sweden.

Well, Evans did loss a bit of time on that last stage when entering that tight bridge, but yes, after leading all the weekend, losing like that is heartbreaking. As for Neuville, I prefer a more close battle at the top, after so many years of 1 driver/team dominance, it's good to see 3 drivers fighting for the championship lead.

B.K.

Just had a pretty nasty wreck in the Cup race at Kansas. It looks like they're cutting the roof off of Almirola's car to get him out.

Danica is in that wreck inside the fireball.

Edit: They've got him out of the car, on a stretcher, and in an ambulance.

TJP

dubc35

I'm not a big bike fan but definitely hoping Nicky pulls through!

He seemed like a good guy in the documentary Faster(?) It was narrated by Ewan McGregor.

xrnzaaas

Keeping fingers crossed that he'll pull through. You can risk your life everyday and then lose everything in an accident somewhere else. Recently our most famous Polish speedway rider Tomasz Gollob had a freak accident on an enduro bike and it's likely that he'll never walk again. :(

Mush

If anyone wasn't already aware, NISMO.TV is doing live coverage of Super GT this year complete with English commentary on Youtube. Round 3 just finished up and without spoiling anything, I'd have to say it was one of the most exciting races I've watched in my whole life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VG8c_HUR_M

Edit: I probably should add that the commentary isn't the most "professional" thing out there but it does the job, especially if you don't mind a bit of humour.

Apparently Jorge Lorenzo and Jack Miller had a bit of a set to in the riders meeting on Friday where Jorge was one of the few riders to defend the 2017 Michelin fronts while everyone else voted to go back to the 2016. Miller said, "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one." So Jorge suggested Miller's crash was a message from God!

Top Bottom