• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

yeah but you still got to play it 4 times to see all the endings, not too shabby

That never was and never will be a reason to replay a game for me. Unless the different ending are something that branches out midway through the game then yes but just for a boss fight and a cutscene I'd rather watch on youtube and go play another game. Too many great releases this past few months.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
How do the controls feel in this game. Watching some streams it seems much more fluid compared to Souls games, which I always found had a methodical clunkiness to them.
Controls feels good. They are also completely customizable.

It feels very different than the Souls games, to the point where you’ll spend your first few hours fighting your “Souls” muscle memory until you realize dodging isn’t a good idea.

Also, play on PC if you can — the very strict timing required on some parries is easier when you’ve got a solid frame rate (which the console versions don’t have, despite still being playable).

Codes 208

After my last night rage against snake bitch, I found myself in the Ashina depths to find:

The same fucking snake bitch. WHY?

Fake

Yuck, I hate game mode on my TV. Makes the picture all weird and dark. But ok, maybe I’ll try it.
You need to calibrate, but I must confess some Samsung TVs have the worst game mode ever. The sound is shit when I turn game mode on my 4k Samsung and I forced to turn off Dolby Surround Bitstream and force stereo because my stupid TV kinda lock the 'virtual surround' while in game mode. Besides that you just need to calibrate the TV. My next tv will be Sony Bravia for sure.

For someone still on the fence about this game, this thread is all over the place. My intentions flip flop almost on a post by post basis.

Positive post = that's it, I'm getting it.

Negative post = maybe not.

This is awesome! Where's my bank card?

Fuck this game! I'll pass.

I'm basically the crowd in this scene.

RedVIper

Banned
For someone still on the fence about this game, this thread is all over the place. My intentions flip flop almost on a post by post basis.

I recommend the game, for the combat alone, the rest is a stepdown compared to the other From games IMO but it's still good. If you're on the fence you could wait until the game is cheaper and for the inevitable DLC to come out.

I recommend the game, for the combat alone, the rest is a stepdown compared to the other From games IMO but it's still good. If you're on the fence you could wait until the game is cheaper and for the inevitable DLC to come out.
I'm currently playing through Dark Souls 3 again, and I'm doing the Ringed City dlc for the first time. At The Demon in Pain and The Demon from Below boss fight. That second phase is irking me. Anyway, my point is, that it might be wise to play through something else in the interim just to try and lose the habits?

Did you enjoy Souls/Bloodborne (or even Nioh)? If yes, then you will enjoy Sekiro. If no, then you'll probably end up wasting 60 bucks. It's that simple, really. The game does play differently from the Souls series, but the formula hasn't really changed that much.

If you haven't played any of the aforementioned games, then just drop that 60 quid on Sekiro. You'll be hard pressed to discover a potentially better game than Sekiro anyways.

Did you enjoy Souls/Bloodborne (or even Nioh)? If yes, then you will enjoy Sekiro. If no, then you'll probably end up wasting 60 bucks. It's that simple, really. The game does play differently from the Souls series, but the formula hasn't really changed that much.

If you haven't played any of the aforementioned games, then just drop that 60 quid on Sekiro. You'll be hard pressed to discover a potentially better game than Sekiro anyways.
I have played, beaten, enjoyed and raged at Demons, Dark 1, 2, 3, Bloodborne, and Nioh. Even got the platinum on DS1.

Last edited:
Then this is your game buddy. Think no further fam.
My hesitation, and the reason I haven't bought it yet, is that I have never managed to successfully parry an attack in any of those games, despite beating all of them, haha. I understand it's a big part of the combat. I'm also not adverse to summoning when pissed off, which isn't an option in Sekiro.

Fuck it, I'll buy it once I finish this dlc and see how I go. Thanks, appreciate the replies.

My hesitation, and the reason I haven't bought it yet, is that I have never managed to successfully parry an attack in any of those games, despite beating all of them, haha. I understand it's a big part of the combat. I'm also not adverse to summoning when pissed off, which isn't an option in Sekiro.

Fuck it, I'll buy it once I finish this dlc and see how I go. Thanks, appreciate the replies.

Parry became second nature for me pretty quickly.

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
It blows my mind that people can't sense the horrible input lag they're experiencing. It makes you question all their opinions at that point.
Very true my friend. I don't know how people can play games with game mode off on a tv. The difference is night and day.

Last edited:

Fuz

Finally tried it.

I really don't understand FROM Software.
I played all three Dark Souls with mouse and keyboard, and they were all pretty much perfect (even DS1 after you modded). So I was confident they'd keep doing the same
But no.
The camera in Sekiro is atrocious and works against you. Literally. Moving around resets camera position, so I have to keep dragging the mouse to look around. Sometimes it decides I have to look up or down, and I have to "counter" that. On narrow spaces, during combat, is a fucking mess (but I assume gamepad has the same problem).
It worked so well before, why did they do this?
I'm not having much fun, so far. Not just because of the camera problems, but I also find the combat less interesting and way more messy than DS - fighting more than 2 enemies together is a mess, I usually just run away and hide. But I'm just at the guy with the spear in the past.

Hope some modders fix that shitty camera.

And by the way, THANK GOD for the modders that made the FPS unlocker and FOV increase. Esoecially the latter, it's a godsend.

Ragnaroz

Phantom Kunai is pretty awesome. On Corrupted Monk and Guardian Ape I literally did 30-40% vitality damage in the first 10s just by spamming that skill. Made both fights so much easier and it made it possible to do Corrupted Monk without Divine Confetti. Btw, whoever decided to make that item so rare in the early game is an evil, evil man.

Last edited:

Ivellios

TIP

IF YOU PLAY ON A TV. TURN GAME MODE ON FOR THE LOVE OF SHINOBI.

YOU WILL DIE / SUCK LESS.

Now that you mention, im playing this game on a ancient 11 year old budget plasma TV.

I dont even know the model, but can the input lag on it be so bad that its actually giving myself a handicap?

Kamina

Golden Boy
After my last night rage against snake bitch, I found myself in the Ashina depths to find:

The same fucking snake bitch. WHY?
You can cheese that one though.
If you lure him to the idol behind thr statue and then escape higher up and hide behind the statue, he will often walk through the swamp and poison himself.

Codes 208

You can cheese that one though.
If you lure him to the idol behind thr statue and then escape higher up and hide behind the statue, he will often walk through the swamp and poison himself.
I found another strategy. I was able to evade her for a bit to get a first deathblow and afterwards I got her stuck on the little camp where the two riflemen were at.

Overall took around 8 tries but I did it.
Now I’m currently O’Rin of the Water which is more of a battle of patience and endurance than anything.

JRW

Anyone with higher refresh monitors should try the fps unlock patch, it comes with various .exe's depending on fps target in mind, I used the 144Hz patch to match my monitor and holy its so smoooth now, I mean of course 60fps is already smooth but on a higher refresh monitor anything above 100fps has noticeably better motion handling (way less ghosting).

Last edited:

tassletine

Random thoughts:
Samurai mini-boss 1, jumping and parrying and the value of getting the first stealth deathblow.
Chained Orge, dodging and using your grapple and also shinobi prosthetic tools (if you went on the Hirata detour).
Samurai mini-boss 2, clearing the field before going for the boss plus reinforcement of the previous samurai miniboss lessons.
Big horse-riding Samurai combining all of the above, jump, grapple, parry, dodge, shinobi tools (firecracker).

Wish I had that experience! Went a bit different for me.

All intro levels: Easy. Almost no challenge. Holds your hand annoyingly.

Mini Boss 1: Beat him easily as I'd already been taught how to parry.

Mini Boss 2: Spent about 30 goes on it until I learned to jump away constantly back and forth hitting him was the quickest way. But it looked foolish and cheap. Also learned that the game has an annoying lock on like Dark Souls 2 where some characters spin to face you constantly -- and also a sweep mechanic that likes to pull you in an cheaply reset you dead infront of the ogre -- so it didn't teach me much about dodging. At this point I can't believe the ramp up in difficulty and the janky mechanics and almost throw in the towl.
Since I'm bored I start to focus on the flaws, like the repetitive graphics, framerate and way the graphics sometimes jerk around.

Samurai Mini Boss 2. I liked this fight, but I did it later. It actually taught me just to move on and avoid it since I was so bored with fighting the chained ogre for so long.
Horse Samurai. Beat him in one go. Just chased him around at speed, threw firecrackers (that I'd already been told would work) and hit him. Really easy boss. Taught me nothing.

Still, it's a pretty good game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
this game can go take a fuck to itself. i can't deal with this juzo guy.

tried getting the guy to help me but he's useless. tried clearing the enemies first but it feels impossible with big Juzo constantly fucking me up. there are too many enemies to deal with.

i'm done for today. i'll try tomorrow again.
Sneak around the right and left sides of the building and take down his men one by one.
Assassinate > retreat
Until he is the only one left.
Then sneak up behind him and do a finisher on him.
Then run down to the Samurai to get him to engage in battle and avoid him until he is distracted and attack.
And just repeat that.
That's what I did.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sneak around the right and left sides of the building and take down his men one by one.
Assassinate > retreat
Until he is the only one left.
Then sneak up behind him and do a finisher on him.
Then run down to the Samurai to get him to engage in battle and avoid him until he is distracted and attack.
And just repeat that.
That's what I did.
Funny thing is I beat that guy without that his help and after the battle he comes in all proud screaming his name.

nkarafo

Ok i'm getting the hang of it

Managed to beat a few generals and the
chained troll

I remember i left one general in the staring area. I assume you revisit it at some point?

Sygma

That never was and never will be a reason to replay a game for me. Unless the different ending are something that branches out midway through the game then yes but just for a boss fight and a cutscene I'd rather watch on youtube and go play another game. Too many great releases this past few months.

actually is a thing yeah

Makariel

Beat up the Bull today.

tenor.gif

Now seems the game is opening up quite a bit, there are a number of different paths to pick and I finally have more options for the prosthetic arm than slots.

I never really did parry anything worth crap in Souls as well, unless I'm totally remembering this wrongly. But I'm getting along okay-ish so far in Sekiro. You do need to kind of not lean on your Souls tendencies at times, but I would think that someone who has played sufficient Souls games should be able to cope eventually.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
never parried in Dark Souls until Anor Londo, when it became necessary to pass the archers, and then handy in farming the Silver Knights.

it's easier to parry in this because parry and block are both the same button. they were two different buttons before. in Sekiro you can block with your sword with 100% effectiveness in many cases, and blocking refills your posture gauge faster. so you can really get away with turtling. in fact it may even help you parry. just hold down block, and repress it every time they attack.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

The fine people at From Software are fucking sadists and I love them for it.

I beat GSO and I was thinking I was near the end. I get whisked away by this gigantic wicker/straw thing. I'm thinking, "Cool! More to explore!" The first thing that happens? Corrupt Monk with 3 fucking health bars and she hits like a fucking truck. I really, really, REALLY shouldn't have cheesed her the first time with Mortal Draw and instead learned how to fight her properly.

RedVIper

Banned
The fine people at From Software are fucking sadists and I love them for it.

I beat GSO and I was thinking I was near the end. I get whisked away by this gigantic wicker/straw thing. I'm thinking, "Cool! More to explore!" The first thing that happens? Corrupt Monk with 3 fucking health bars and she hits like a fucking truck. I really, really, REALLY shouldn't have cheesed her the first time with Mortal Draw and instead learned how to fight her properly.

You can cheese her too if you want
You can literally one shot her first two phases and jump to the third, then use firecrackers to stunlock her to death.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

You can cheese her too if you want
You can literally one shot her first two phases and jump to the third, then use firecrackers to stunlock her to death.
No kidding? I think you've given me some ideas that I'm going to try based on the environment where the fight happens. Thanks!

If it doesn't work, I'm totally going to PM you asking how to do it the proper way ;)

Last edited:

Ivellios

Yes! Finally made some real progress.

Managed to beat the boss on the well and i only died 3 times trying him, the fight was really fun and i think im getting the hang of when to deflect and when to dodge.

[Asmodean]

Managed to avoid first death until that purple ninja guy at the hidden path in hirata estate. Died 3 times to it and 2 npc get dragonrot right off the bat lol wtf From

Wasn't aware you only get the resurrection orb things after dying once. Was starting to think it was after some point in the story

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
finally beat Lady Butterfly! ah, it feels good to beat a tough fight. and good lord that was a tough fight. this was for real a struggle on the level of first playing through Dark Souls.

i kept dying over and over to the same attacks: the unblockables with the symbols. turns out i was too aggressive with the whirlwind slash, i kept using it too early & would hit it right before she fired off an attack, leaving me to get taken out while i watched it happen. you can override attacks by pressing LB before they fire off, but once you decide to go into a whirlwind there is no cancelling into a dash or jump. so for the final match i toned it down and used slash only half the time and patience was rewarded.

when i didn't take a single hit for the first phase, i knew i would win. isn't that always the way?

Last edited:
never parried in Dark Souls until Anor Londo, when it became necessary to pass the archers, and then handy in farming the Silver Knights.

it's easier to parry in this because parry and block are both the same button. they were two different buttons before. in Sekiro you can block with your sword with 100% effectiveness in many cases, and blocking refills your posture gauge faster. so you can really get away with turtling. in fact it may even help you parry. just hold down block, and repress it every time they attack.

Anor Londo brings a tear to my eye when mentioned. Beautiful place, one of the most memorable levels I've ever seen in a game.

You know what would have Sekiro CRAZY HARD is if the devs made blocking less derp. I think holding block to replenish posture was something that might have been added subsequently and not the original intention.

Top Bottom