• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball

Corrik

Let's talk about college basketball here.

I am a huge North Carolina Tar Heel fan. By nature, I hate Duke of course (and Kentucky).

Nassir Little and Coby White are our two most heralded incoming freshman (Rechon "Leaky"Black also is a freshman coming in). Coby White has looked extremely good so far in early year activities.

We have secured commitments from Jeremiah Francis PG and Armando Bacot C for next year already and have offers out to a lot of top talent, including Tre Mann, Josh Green, Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Cole Anthony, Vernon Carey, and Will Baker. (Ordered list in likelihood of them coming to UNC).

I am excited for the upcoming season.

Tell me some about your favorite team, expectations, likes/dislikes, etc. Basketball is only a couple months away!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
West Virginia fan here. They’ve been a regular sweet 16 fixture in recent years (3 of last 4), final four trip in 2010 and a couple other sweet sixteens under Bob Huggins. Great run under John Belein the few years before that.

I’d expect them to easily make the tourney again and win a game or two. I think we have too much inexperience in the backcourt to expect more than that this year after Carter and Miles Jr graduated. We do have maybe Huggins best recruiting class since he’s been here coming in though, so the future is bright.

Corrik

And of course since God apparently hates me and wanted to solidify my post as the ultimate jinx.

There is a big time recruit that many people are considering a lock to wvu. I think he is from Africa originally. I can find his name for you. WVU always is good, I just don't know if they can win championships with that style of play.

Edit: player is Oscar Tshiebw

Last edited:

dolabla

Their highest ranked player is 12th? Color me surprised. Figured they would have scored some big time top 5 guys over the years.

It won't be long until the season starts. It's football season right now though :pie_beaming_smiling:

Corrik

Their highest ranked player is 12th? Color me surprised. Figured they would have scored some big time top 5 guys over the years.

It won't be long until the season starts. It's football season right now though :pie_beaming_smiling:
Actually they have had a huge lack of 5 stars in recruiting. They have benefited a lot from having players continue to keep returning instead of being OAD like other programs. This Antoine guy chose Villanova over Duke also.

dolabla

Actually they have had a huge lack of 5 stars in recruiting. They have benefited a lot from having players continue to keep returning instead of being OAD like other programs. This Antoine guy chose Villanova over Duke also.

Yeah, I remember their roster this past year.

I just figured they would have some big time recruits sprinkled in over the years.

I bet that last part made you smile :D

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan's 2019 class has been done for almost 2 months. Pretty happy with Wilson and Bajema. They are going to give us a great combo of length and skill at the 2/3 positions.

Also here are Blue Ribbon Basketball's pre-season rankings.......

DnZni4aXsAIZbfM.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
UNC is too high in those rankings. Michigan should have drop off without that goofy tall white kid they had. But, they had some depth also.

In sadder news,

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...oneal-shaq-son-miss-ucla-season-heart-ailment

That is a huge hit to ucla. He was supposed to be a big recruit.

We should be alright.

While Jon Teske certainly does not have Wagner's scoring ability there are several other things he was better than Moe at like defense, rebounding, and passing.

Jordan Poole and Isaiah Livers both got a ton of experience as role players last year and should be ready to step up. 5* recruit Iggy Brazdeikis should give us some firepower off the bench as he led the team scoring in Spain last month.

Besides like last year this is going to be a defense-oriented team. We are going to hold a lot of teams under 60 so we just have to be semi-competent of offense.

Corrik

Also the FBI trials have started also regarding college basketball. Academic universities are trying to paint the specific people doling out money as defrauding the system. The accused are trying to establish how they are all part of a system that was done at the behest of University head coaches and officials.

Payments paid or offered to players are going to come up. Schools are being named left and right.

It is highly unlikely coaches were not involved, but they are going to do their best to argue they were not.

ebevan91

Hope Penny Hardaway can pull in some of these top level recruits. 2018 is looking good and 2019 can be even better.

Corrik

Josh Green announces to Arizona.

Wendell Moore announcing on Monday.

Wiseman is supposed to declare soon and is between Memphis - with Penny - and UK.

Corrik

Wendell Moore committed to Duke on Monday. Giving them their first recruit for next season.

Some teams start practicing soon.

LNWR (Late Night with Roy) is Oct 12th.

Unc's secret scrimmage is with Villanova.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Wendell Moore committed to Duke on Monday. Giving them their first recruit for next season.

Some teams start practicing soon.

LNWR (Late Night with Roy) is Oct 12th.

Unc's secret scrimmage is with Villanova.

Teams have been practicing for a couple of weeks now. They just like to spread out their midnight madness nights.

Also how much fun can it really be to be Duke fan? Having to pretend to care about a new group of mercenaries each year seems soulless and exhausting. Watching kids develop over time is half the fun for me and Duke fans just don't get that.

Corrik

So some new news.

Texas gets a commitment from Kai Jones a center. Been speculated Texas chose him over Will Baker in a surprise move despite Baker being considered a lock there. Thus, UCLA becomes baker's likely destination.

UCLA has two of their top recruits for 2018 out for the year alrdy. One is Shaq's son.

FBI trials are still going. Sean Miller's staff at AZ, Pitino's at UL, and Bill Self himself at KU are all pretty heavily alluded to with allegations. A new report has messages purporting Zion Williamson (now at Duke) was asking to be paid also.
Kansas is looking in bad shape specifically.

NBA G League starting next year is offering 125k a year slots to select 1andDone if they wish to skip college also.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Corrik

Expected by everyone except Illini Twitter who always seem to think they have a shot when they never do. Now they've moved on to Drew Timme. LOL

Lol.

UNC had their secret scrimmage against Villanova today. Villanova won both 20 minute segments by 5 points each. Booth had 41 points for Villanova. They hit like 23 3s in it.

UNC won the 10 minute zone only defense segment by 1. UNC reserves won the reserve segment by 9.

Villanova gonna be launching 3s like crazy again this year.

Corrik

College basketball starts tomorrow!!!

Jeremiah Robinson-Earl committed to Villanova over UNC and Kansas. Starting to look bad for UNC recruiting!

Memphis picked up a recruit in Jeffries.

NC State commitment Jalen Lecque is looking to go straight to the pros instead of NC State. To the surprise of very little.

Boogie Ellis is announcing within this month where he is going to go. Between UNC, Duke, Memphis, and San Diego State.

In the FBI trials, the defendants were found guilty of defrauding the universities. While the FBI argued the schools were unaware, they did have to argue that even if coaches were aware of paying recruits it doesn't mean the universities as a whole were aware.

Kansas and Arizona and Louisville and NC State came out of the initial round of trials looking pretty bad.

De Sousa of Kansas has been ruled out for now due to evidence he received payments. (Possibly opening up a path to vacate last year's final four run for Kansas).

Last edited:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan is looking great right now but Evanston has been a house of horrors for us. Hope we can avoid the letdown. Will be interesting to see how our offense fairs against their match up zone.

Corrik

I know I am basically talking to myself, but...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25923557/welcome-wofford-terriers

New bubble watch.

Lagerald Vick leaves Kansas indefinitely.
Michigan State loses a top player for rest of the year.
Duke rolling
Arizona possibly gearing up to fire Sean Miller and make a run at the Laker's Coach.
Desousa ruled ineligible for this year and next for Kansas.
UNC continues to strike out in recruiting.

Zion, Barret, and Morant looking like top 5 NBA picks.

Duke Virginia tonight at 6pm.

If I’m Zion, I’m not playing another minute of college basketball, regardless of severity (or lack of) of the injury. One scare is enough. Dude is For Sure lottery pick. Make them millions.

Corrik

I think he will return if not serious, but you have to figure it makes sense not to. He is the guaranteed first pick regardless UNLESS he suffers a severe injury.

I think he will return if not serious, but you have to figure it makes sense not to. He is the guaranteed first pick regardless UNLESS he suffers a severe injury.

If he chooses to return, that’s bold. I would take the Joey Bosa route (Ohio Staye defensive end) and just start preparing for the draft.

If I’m his agent that’s what I’m suggesting at least.

Don’t get me wrong. I love watching the best college athletes participate in college sports, but I’m just thinking from the business perspective

Edit

Nick Bosa, not Joey

Sorry I’m super groggy

Last edited:

Corrik

If he chooses to return, that’s bold. I would take the Joey Bosa route (Ohio Staye defensive end) and just start preparing for the draft.

If I’m his agent that’s what I’m suggesting at least.

Don’t get me wrong. I love watching the best college athletes participate in college sports, but I’m just thinking from the business perspective

Edit

Nick Bosa, not Joey

Sorry I’m super groggy
It is a potential half a billion dollar risk. Sure.

Corrik

It sounds like Boeheim did nothing wrong.

I initially was like "74 year old man driving ran over guy that sounds like another point to at some point driver licenses shouldn't be issued to the very elderly". But, it looks like it was something he wasn't really at fault for.

Crazy story though.

Still waiting for them to disclose more about Zion. He should have had his MRI today.

K is notorious for not divulging actual information though.

highrider

Banned
I like college basketball I need to start following it again. I’m like a lot of older Maryland fans, I never got over losing Len Bias. I’ve been up in the NBA streets too hard.

Last edited:

Mihos

It sounds like Boeheim did nothing wrong.

I initially was like "74 year old man driving ran over guy that sounds like another point to at some point driver licenses shouldn't be issued to the very elderly". But, it looks like it was something he wasn't really at fault for.

Crazy story though.

Still waiting for them to disclose more about Zion. He should have had his MRI today.

K is notorious for not divulging actual information though.

I don't think he did anything wrong.... Except for beating my Cardinals, that was ugly

Corrik

Lots of teams are looking overrated but the best teams are likely Duke, UVA, and Kentucky.

Tennessee and UNC can't beat anyone of top note and are inflated.

Gonzaga is a dark horse.

when will sports get cool team names like i want a unique name like the florida "dad is never coming home" or the louisiana "rash that just wont heal"

Corrik

UNC beats Duke twice. Now we are onto conference tournaments and locking up bids.

Virginia and Gonzaga are locks for number 1 seeds.

The other 2 are up in the air between MSU, UNC, Duke, UK, and Tenn. Each could arguably make a run and nab them.

Ja Morant will be dancing with Murray State after beating Belmont in their final.

Star power is coming.

Zion Williamson expected to play in ACC tourney.

Top Bottom