• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0 Error Reporting & Feedback Thread

Myths

This new one is more appealing, and the circular avatars match the rounded, circular design you have going. With a few touch-ups on the functionality, I’m sure it’ll nestle its way into preference. 👍🏿

Just add an old version option for the people who want to revert, but I sure as hell don’t care to personally.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I’d love to see more attention given to the experience of writing/editing on mobile. It wasn’t good before, and it’s no better now. Mainly phones seem to choke on all the JavaScript the WYSIWYG editor requires. Using the gear to disable stuff can help, but scrolling within a text field that’s also on a scrolling page creates its own headaches.

Some way to make the editor take over the view might be an improvement.

Last edited:

nowhat

So first, some positive feedback - you've finally got with the program and added the theme-color meta tag. While only Chrome on Android supports it currently (well, Samsung Internet too, but who uses that), that's what I use on my phone and as I use the dark theme/often browse my phone in quite dark conditions, it's a very welcome addition so the address/notification bar doesn't blind me (even if I'm not overly keen on the shade of orange used).

But one suggestion, though I'm not sure if this is simple/possible to implement - obviously you're not going to have a ton of different themes, and light/dark is fine by me. But it would be nice to be able to adjust the base font size of the comments (this would require you to have a separate definition for comment text, as there is now for the font size of quoted text, instead of having it be inherited from html). No need to go overboard with it, just a setting like S/M/L/XL (that would affect both the size of the actual comment and quoted text). As it is, while this works ok on my phone and when using an external monitor, on this laptop alone (which admittedly is 13" so the display isn't that large), the text is a bit too small for my taste. Sure, I can zoom the browser contents, but doing so adjusts other elements too, which isn't preferable.

Last edited:

Caayn

Compared to the previous UI:
- I dislike that the alerts/notifications are now hidden behind a side-menu when using the mobile UI. Previously it was instantly visible when you had an alert/notification on mobile.

Wish for future iterations:
- I miss the ability to jump to the start or end of a thread when browsing the thread overview on a mobile device. On mobile I miss the control that I have on desktop to decide how I want to enter a thread.

Overall I kind of like the new UI, I do really like that I can instantly see the threads I've already commented in from the thread overview.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Compared to the previous UI:
- I dislike that the alerts/notifications are now hidden behind a side-menu when using the mobile UI. Previously it was instantly visible when you had an alert/notification on mobile.
I had this issue too initially, but they fixed it (on ios at least) where I can now see the alert notification in the top left of a page. I still have to click on the pop up menu in order to read the alerts though, or is that what you meant?

Caayn

I had this issue too initially, but they fixed it (on ios at least) where I can now see the alert notification in the top left of a page. I still have to click on the pop up menu in order to read the alerts though, or is that what you meant?
Looks like it's fixed for me as well. I'm using Firefox on Android.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
First 5 minutes: WHAT THE, HOW, WHERE IS THE, OMG, REALLY.

Now:
5D5pWqj.jpg

Honestly. I didn't like the design at first, but it's growing on me. Much needed update.

Last edited:
Not sure if asked before, but... when outside a thread, how do you click a specific page? The only way I see to enter the thread is the thread name, and it always leads to the first unread.

Edit: Found it, it's only available (along with the creator/date of the thread, user who made the last reply) when in full screen. To me, it's a bummer, as I do 95% of my GAF browsing at work and I never use the browser's full screen.

Last edited:
I'll use this post to address another thing that bugs me. We used to have all the links at the top bar, Gaming, Offtopic, Politics... now I can only browse fast through those if I click on the hamburger (which makes it slower than before...), because it's content only shows when on full screen.

Last edited:

Blam

Not sure if asked before, but... when outside a thread, how do you click a specific page? The only way I see to enter the thread is the thread name, and it always leads to the first unread.

Edit: Found it, it's only available (along with the creator/date of the thread, user who made the last reply) when in full screen. To me, it's a bummer, as I do 95% of my GAF browsing at work and I never use the browser's full screen.

You can zoom out of the page and do it like that if you're not in fullscreen which is what I do but that might not be ideal.

edit: adding this code to the page removes this issue.

CSS:
.structItem-cell.structItem-cell--latest{
    display: flex!important;
}
span.structItem-pageJump {
    display: flex!important;
}

Last edited:

Breakage

Getting large white blocks of space when I scroll downwards through a thread I have entered.
I'm using a Nexus 7 tablet with Chrome browser/Android OS (GAF Dark theme)

kbear

Probably mentioned already but the arrows on the bottom right are huge. There used to only be one that went up, I believe. ERA has both arrows like GAF does now and it helped reading threads quite a bit so good job with that.

Last edited:
Couldn't think of anywhere else to ask this, but is it possible for a mod to take the underscores out of my name? I didn't realise on registration that my username didn't need them!

Exentryk

The main forum page looks too busy. Needs less text and more space. See comparison to previous style.

oqjqHlr.png

D28CAYT.png

The old style still retains all the functionality like going to first page, unread, last page, last post, etc., but does it with much less text. Perhaps you can hide some text (like page numbers/thread starter's name/etc.) and only show it when you hover the mouse on that thread title.

Last edited:

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
I hope removing it was only a temporary solution. :D I do like the new bookmarks functionality and prefer ready access to them.

That placement was in error, yes. You can still access your bookmarks by opening your user menu and selecting "Bookmarks".

pnwevXd.png

DadEggs

cool! rounded Avatars and no more thread creator avatar thumbnails on main thread page!

ch-ch-ch-changes

edit: just saw, dunno how new it is, but funny that RE had to copy gaf immediately. at least from what it looks like, dunno how deep it goes or just superficial look changes

Last edited:

Nelsin

Banned
I would love if mods here take an extra step and edit some comments that went too far instead of "you are joking right?" Warnings.
Maybe that's just me.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
For some reason, all the editing options in editor are greyed out when on mobile in Classic Theme.

This was not the case yesterday.

Klondyke

Banned
Hello! not nececcarily a bug, but where do I stop from receiving emails for notifications?

I went over to preferences, and unchecked everything if emails, but I still keep getting them.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I may have found a bug. When I go to my profile page and click on “find” —->”threads by this member”, I get no results. It used to work pre-update.

eot

Banned
I don't know if this is just my browser, but I don't like that the side navigation bar appears every time I come to the forum

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Search is rebuilding indexes. Will be fully populated today

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Please post again to notify when is ready.

Yesterday i was not able to post a lot of news because of this problem. Also today i have information to share (plus the news from yesterday i have) but with the search broken and without the ability to see my own post to search over there is impossible to do nothing. It makes me doubt when i try to create a thread if the information it's already posted or not because i can't search...:messenger_loudly_crying:

I may have found a bug. When I go to my profile page and click on “find” —->”threads by this member”, I get no results. It used to work pre-update.
Is search working? Tried to search for the PC building thread and only getting threads from 2010 and older
+1

Last edited:

plushyp

Yeah, was about to ask about searching as I was unable to find posts and threads.

Edit:
Still facing issues with post searching.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Considering the time frames we are now 19 hours later, not much improvements. I came across this when i wanted to create a new Indie Watch thread - I retroactively link back to the list and this simply was not yet possible.

Please take your time when addressing your issue. It is but a minor struggle.

hypotc

Can you please add a refresh button on the bottom right on mobile? I have to refresh in Chrome for iOS now, and it automatically scrolls up everytime.

The way it worked on the old design was great!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Considering the time frames we are now 19 hours later, not much improvements. I came across this when i wanted to create a new Indie Watch thread - I retroactively link back to the list and this simply was not yet possible.

Please take your time when addressing your issue. It is but a minor struggle.
The problem is not resolved yet and not fixed:messenger_crying:

plushyp

Seems like the site is under heavy load right now considering some pages are loading blank, the layout is getting messed up when loaded and certain functions are not working as intended (can't quote).

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
It seems after checking some words the search engine is now working correctly. I'm still not sure 100% but from the initial results i had seems good to me. Waiting for the official confirmation from the admin/mods.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It seems after checking some words the search engine is now working correctly. I'm still not sure 100% but from the initial results i had seems good to me. Waiting for the official confirmation from the admin/mods.
Yep. It seems to be working. Awesome job!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Rebuilding the search is never a fast process... this is some of the stats, so you can see the size.
Code:
Documents    121,389,162 (19.8 GB)
Index updates    122,254,133
Searches    14,665 (21 milliseconds average)

Top Bottom