• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0 Error Reporting & Feedback Thread

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m experiencing a bug where I cannot use any of the editing tools in the post box. Clicking on the buttons for each tool does nothing. I’m on mobile.

kbear

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-neogaf-like-button.1469244/

The thread for this was locked so I hope you don’t mind me posting this in here as I guess it’s still feedback:

I think this is a great thing but can seem discouraging with the like button to challenge the conversation
If you feel discouraged to reply / dissent to another member’s post due to how many likes they have, you probably shouldn’t be here as your spine seems to be MIA.

Instead of typing "thank you", "I agree", "you are spot on", "sorry my mistake" I just press the "Like" button. Saves the forum hundreds of posts and bandwidth

Ultimately, this is a litmus test to see if Evilore’s putting on a front about genuinely wanting the culture of this community to change, or if he’s just placating the current crowd.

Dude locked that thread linked above. Adding a rep system to a forum undeniably reduces ‘activity’ as people will just tap the like button rather than posting “This!”, QFT”, “Nailed it”, etc. The end result is higher quality discourse — you don’t have to skip to the second page to finally read a post that either read the OP or took a tad bit of effort. The cost of this is less posts, less activity, less $$$. So basically, if this cat wasn’t genuine about wanting change in the atmosphere here, there wouldn’t be a rep system at all. That’s just one example of this.

TLDR: Give this shit a chance. I’ve been skeptical af over the past year in terms of his motivations and if this change in attitude was just a desperate response to placate the current user base, but think about it — if it was all about the $$$ we simply wouldn’t have a rep system. Makes no sense whatsoever to have a rep system if you’re just trying to increase post count / activity.

Last edited:

DadEggs

whats with RE copying neogaf design and layout? like legit Gaf make a change and now they make a change and its identical changes for the most part...

are they doing this to mess with evilore cause thatd be catty af? why can't they develop their own identity?

also note - my avatar icon in upper right corner is still squished horizontally.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Is there any anti spam system that doesn't let you create thread between x seconds increasing more and more after each consecutive thread created? Because i can't post information because of this and i have to wait a huge amount of time and "time" is the most apreciated thing i don't have so much so please remove that system or i'm not going to post information here.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Is there any anti spam system that doesn't let you create thread between x seconds increasing more and more after each consecutive thread created? Because i can't post information because of this and i have to wait a huge amount of time and "time" is the most apreciated thing i don't have so much so please remove that system or i'm not going to post information here.

I believe the only system in place is that we only let people post once every 60 seconds. Are you seeing wait times longer than that between posts?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I believe the only system in place is that we only let people post once every 60 seconds. Are you seeing wait times longer than that between posts?

Yes, way more! i saw one of nearly 90 seconds. Could you reduce the limit to 30 seconds and remove the increase time?

Piss me off the wait when i have threads created in seconds and i can't post them.

guggnichso

Banned
I just realized some dudes have green or blue dots on their avatars, in the upper right or left corner. Never seen this before. What does that stand for?

Huh, I have a dot too. Panic!

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I just realized some dudes have green or blue dots on their avatars, in the upper right or left corner. Never seen this before. What does that stand for?

Huh, I have a dot too. Panic!
Green is for the status online and the blue is for the status of creator of the thread.

DadEggs

Green is for the status online and the blue is for the status of creator of the thread.

thoughts about another color dot for currently viewing the same thread?
thoughts about different shades of green (or colors) to represent level of achievements?

thoughts on a gold dot for....premium neogaf gold account?

DadEggs

anyone else annoyed at teh offset alignment of the thread titles and the space they occupy. it feels like it should be centered to the icon on the left or something should go under it.

DadEggs

maybe make some type of signal that means a thread is new, or you've read it already.

without page numbers now, its hard to gauge where in the life a thread is. OR more importantly if i've already been to/ read it. just hard to discern whats old to me and whats new. the only identifier is if i've posted in the thread already with the avatar thumbnail.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
maybe make some type of signal that means a thread is new, or you've read it already.

without page numbers now, its hard to gauge where in the life a thread is. OR more importantly if i've already been to/ read it. just hard to discern whats old to me and whats new. the only identifier is if i've posted in the thread already with the avatar thumbnail.
If I have read a thread up to date, it is normal colouring, if it has new posts, it is bolded. Very easy to distinguish. Don’t you get the same thing?

DadEggs

If I have read a thread up to date, it is normal colouring, if it has new posts, it is bolded. Very easy to distinguish. Don’t you get the same thing?

yeah, i get that now. for some reason i wasnt. and i coulda sworn there used to be something like that in place, dunno why it was happening this morning. oh well. thanks!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
How come you guys never fixed that bug where if there is a thread full of Youtube embeds, it’s starts lagging and eventually errors out? Is it too hard a problem to fix?

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
I've added support for several requested sites, for example:

Gyfcat

Twitch clips

Streamable

Full announcement thread with all the new goodies coming soon

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
32f16920e615e4512ba3044950b07266cb0d0264d6ed50866b02cc1cf6e5fc46.jpg

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Regarding the username feature, I'd like to report a potential security / privacy issue.

See my post in the Gold announcement thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/introducing-neogaf-gold.1469563/page-4#post-253654925

So long as the tag replaces text even within URLs, it can pose a threat to the privacy of users, since anyone could embed an image that tracks which usernames have viewed and from which IPs etc.

Thanks for the heads up, this should now be fixed.

DadEggs

suggestion:

now that there is a giveaway section (thats typically steam only), ya'll should lock that "Free to a good home" thread and reboot the system so that anyone who wants to donate/giveaway software keys/digital funds etc. can do so via that giveaways section.

bonus feature: give away a certain value of item, or a certain amount of times (and earn coupon pts, like those stores who holepunch cards for you) and you can receive a NeoGaf Gold trial for 1 week, 2 week, or even a month...

this would help:
- add to the amount of giveaways and the platform variety ( oh hey, look at all these giveaways, i love gaf, gaf is the best)
- incentive to give away/donate (oh hey, I'll give away my spare Sonic Team Racing for some gafGold.)
- raise awareness of gafGold ( oh hey , giveaways? cool. what's this gafGold I can receive?)
- intro people into gafGold ( oh hey, i like gafgold, I cant go back to being a normie, I'm going to buy an annual plan)
- adds to the Gaf metagame (oh hey, I gotta collect those coupon pts! *ding* w00t! achievement unlocked)

Last edited:

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
suggestion:

now that there is a giveaway section (thats typically steam only), ya'll should lock that "Free to a good home" thread and reboot the system so that anyone who wants to donate/giveaway software keys/digital funds etc. can do so via that giveaways section.

bonus feature: give away a certain value of item, or a certain amount of times (and earn coupon pts, like those stores who holepunch cards for you) and you can receive a NeoGaf Gold trial for 1 week, 2 week, or even a month...

This has definitely been on our radar for a while, actually. We are working on a method that will let people put their own Steam keys or anything else into site giveaways, but these will probably be listed in a separate section below the "official" giveaways with a disclaimer that they're provided by the community. We are also somewhat hesitant to tie too many rewards (maybe a site achievement for X number of giveaways) to user-generated giveaways considering the nature of what's taking place there. For example, someone could say they're giving away a Steam key for the latest $60 AAA game, but instead just write something snarky in the key field. Even with validation, they could write something like SUCKI-TTREB-ECK11 and our system wouldn't have any way of verifying that key is legitimate.

However like I said, this is definitely on our roadmap.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Throwing an idea out there. On every forum and board and comment section, there is an emphasis on replying 'first'. A fellow GAF user posted a study on Reddit demonstrating that the first comment(s) have a disproportionate amount of likes and attention.

A way to address this: posts with x number of likes in a thread over x number of posts are 'featured' below the OP, even before the second ('first') post. Now, the 'first' still has the advantage of possibly scooping up the most likes, bu this would encourage people to consider what they type instead of blurting out whatever comes to mind (knowing that they'll get a lot of likes).

I don't think GAF suffers from this problem too bad. Overall, our post quality is pretty good.

Maybe there could be a 'featured posts' widget or frame and the original post remains in its original spot?

Dunno. Just spitballing. Sorry if the spitballs hit anyone in the eye.

A few weeks ago I noticed that, in the thread list, the circle next to each thread's name is no longer the OP's avatar and is now just a simplified NeoGAF icon. Was this change on purpose?

Hi Members of Neogaf. I am a returning member and hope to stay here for a good while. I got banned for 3 days from the other site (Resetera) for saying someone is 'hot'. The ban reason was objectification. If this is likely to happen here please let me know. In my opinion its quite ridiculous to get banned for this reason and i hope this is not the standard at which gaming forums are now. If so then its a damn shame as in my opinion there is nothing wrong with saying someone is hot.
Mods or members please let me know if that is going to be an issue going forward.

Rant over.

Thanks

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hi Members of Neogaf. I am a returning member and hope to stay here for a good while. I got banned for 3 days from the other site (Resetera) for saying someone is 'hot'. The ban reason was objectification. If this is likely to happen here please let me know. In my opinion its quite ridiculous to get banned for this reason and i hope this is not the standard at which gaming forums are now. If so then its a damn shame as in my opinion there is nothing wrong with saying someone is hot.
Mods or members please let me know if that is going to be an issue going forward.

Rant over.

Thanks

Nah, you won't get banned for complementing people or things on this forum.

Here is a thread you can introduce yourself to others in the community:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-official-neogaf-introduce-yourself-thread.1460728/

And this one if you need to vent or share experiences:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/off-...ont-make-it-personal-keep-it-in-here.1462647/

Welcome aboard! I think you will find this place a breathe of fresh air compared to what you were accustomed to. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom