• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfricanKing

Pramod's thread isn't ban-worthy. He was scared and expressed it honestly, the responses were sensible, done. Jordann is currently banned and on perm warning. Your "certain users" examples are useless.

JordanN only just got a ban after almost a year of painting black people as inferior , it got to a point where it was almost like a running gag.

I'm not in the business of mass @ing other users but we all know .

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Worse in terms of insulting you personally, or worse in general? I agree that you need not tolerate if people disrespect you on your forum, but a perm for that was really harsh.
Why are you always one of the first to the scene to question the decision making of the staff and in particular Evilore?

I am not going to lie that this is a democratic good and i support it, but in your particular case, you seem to have a thing for it.
Did we just not have a thread of a user being scared to talk to minorities.
Pramods thread on not wanting to associate with people of another race

Or certain users obsession with linking the LGBT community with pedophilic behaviour.

Or people thinking saying Nigger is not racist . There's a thread for that aswell .

Or the constant threads attempting to link IQ to race to paint black people as inferior humans .

I think these are just some of the examples I can think off just off the top of my head. We had JordanN calling black people Negroid .. there's a reason Negro is no longer used as a description term for black people .

I think these are far more worse then getting into a shouting match with a mod or yourself but they get a pass for the sake of discussion.
Then link to all of them. Don't just go with a single example and think that's enough to describe a problem.

JordanN only just got a ban after almost a year of painting black people as inferior , it got to a point where it was almost like a running gag.

What did you do to stop it?

The bolded is once more a baseless comment and only serves as thinly veiled warnings signs directed towards the staff. If you want to address an issue, you do so with evidence.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

You think that's his first mod action? It's not. He's been given numerous bans, warnings, and at least one personal ultimatum from me. Just like BraveOne. He's on perm warning.

"We all know." Citations or sit down, please.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why are you always one of the first to the scene to question the decision making of the staff and in particular Evilore?
Why would I be qualified to answer this? I am not responsible for other people's actions. I feel that LuigiMario's ban was harsh and BraveOne's was a sign of a misreading on the mod's behalf*, so I think that these two bans were harsh (in the one case) and wholly unjustified (in the other case). I find it pretty astounding though that left-leaning people get banned for racism, permanently, when they are mere mocking racism, whereas JordanN can post hardcore racist garbage for a year and still "only" receive a perm warning.

* At least the quoted posting in the ban page contains absolutely zero racism from his side, he was mocking the idea of racial superiority and the classification of judaism as a race by his neighbour.

AfricanKing

You think that's his first mod action? It's not. He's been given numerous bans, warnings, and at least one personal ultimatum from me. Just like BraveOne. He's on perm warning.

"We all know." Citations or sit down, please.

I doubt it was his first but I also doubt LuigiMario had a worse standing account then JordanN.

Being on the receiving end of many mass @ing I won't do that to other users. I'll put a that in a PM

Yoshi

I have nothing to add to this except the funny cuteness that Yoshi is defending Mario and Luigi 😝
Considering they are regularly punching my head, it should carry some weight I say.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Why would I be qualified to answer this? I am not responsible for other people's actions. I feel that LuigiMario's ban was harsh and BraveOne's was a sign of a misreading on the mod's behalf*, so I think that these two bans were harsh (in the one case) and wholly unjustified (in the other case). I find it pretty astounding though that left-leaning people get banned for racism, permanently, when they are mere mocking racism, whereas JordanN can post hardcore racist garbage for a year and still "only" receive a perm warning.

* At least the quoted posting in the ban page contains absolutely zero racism from his side, he was mocking the idea of racial superiority and the classification of judaism as a race by his neighbour.
I need to correct myself wrt this posting. I have no idea why BraveOne was banned, I mixed it up with the ban for Gander. Sorry for that mistake.

You permed me back way before all the drama, but I’m happy to see moderation is more rational in terms of discussion.

I’m risking this account getting wiped from existence, but I’m CrankyJay and would like that account unbanned if possible. =)

Redneckerz

You permed me back way before all the drama, but I’m happy to see moderation is more rational in terms of discussion.

I’m risking this account getting wiped from existence, but I’m CrankyJay and would like that account unbanned if possible. =)
Mention EviLore EviLore in your post. Do note that you are using an alt to post this from so that might work against you.

Redneckerz

Well, he posted here and only here to ask about an unban, I think that's fair.
Its an alt account and you can also mail GAF instead so effectively you don't even need to mention it here.

I don't think plane knew that as its not readily apparent, but its there (Unless that got changed).

Yoshi

Its an alt account and you can also mail GAF instead so effectively you don't even need to mention it here.

I don't think plane knew that as its not readily apparent, but its there (Unless that got changed).
I know that there is a preferred way of doing it via mail, but he didn't sneek in, and made clear with his first posting what was going on, so I feel that alt-account in itself shouldn't count as a point against him.

Redneckerz

I know that there is a preferred way of doing it via mail, but he didn't sneek in, and made clear with his first posting what was going on, so I feel that alt-account in itself shouldn't count as a point against him.
Using a new account to circumvent an old one, even when the intentions are good and likely the user isn't aware of the mail function is still (technically) a violation.

Hence why i said that explaining the situation probably will be in his favor and that the simple fact that an alt was used might work against him. What i failed to mention because it was obvious, is that it only may work against him if no explanation will be given.

Using a new account to circumvent an old one, even when the intentions are good and likely the user isn't aware of the mail function is still (technically) a violation.

Hence why i said that explaining the situation probably will be in his favor and that the simple fact that an alt was used might work against him. What i failed to mention because it was obvious, is that it only may work against him if no explanation will be given.

What’s there to explain? I was banned long ago and I’m asking for that account to be reinstated.

Could I have emailed support? Yes, but I have an alt account and thought I would just do it here. If I catch another ban, that’s fine too, but I’m assuming EviLore EviLore has some tools at his disposal (IP lookup) to tell I’ve been on GAF several times.

I had another alt ColdPizza that was permed, arguably by the rigid moderation staff/rules in place at the time. (My perm message for that account even acknowledged they knew who I was.)

If I understand correctly, he’s dialing that back slightly and if that’s the case this may be a cool place to discuss things again.

Redneckerz

There's no problem.
That's good.
What’s there to explain? I was banned long ago and I’m asking for that account to be reinstated.
And that's alright.

I had another alt ColdPizza that was permed, arguably by the rigid moderation staff/rules in place at the time. (My perm message for that account even acknowledged they knew who I was.)

If I understand correctly, he’s dialing that back slightly and if that’s the case this may be a cool place to discuss things again.
Nah its still terrible out here. Like, horribly so.
Jk its good here, plz get your account back i vouch for its legitness. Evilore please work your magic hands and give this man an account he can be proud of.

Yoshi

I thought he just applied strikethrough to his username.
His profile cannot be viewed anymore and he is not part of the members list of moderators anymore. I guess he really is banned. Considering the lack of response on requests on it, I assume the reason for that is supposed to stay internal matter.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
His profile cannot be viewed anymore and he is not part of the members list of moderators anymore. I guess he really is banned. Considering the lack of response on requests on it, I assume the reason for that is supposed to stay internal matter.

Ah I didn't notice that since I didn't bother to click. He used to make his name colorful and all that so I just assumed.

Redneckerz

He's no longer with the site.
That is unfortunate. I wish there was a happy goodbye note. Who is his replacement?

I like the new staff aswell (That oddly use new accounts, so i take it they aren't from NeoGAFia) but yeah, bummer that Beard is not around anymore :/

Yoshi

That is unfortunate. I wish there was a happy goodbye note. Who is his replacement?

I like the new staff aswell (That oddly use new accounts, so i take it they aren't from NeoGAFia) but yeah, bummer that Beard is not around anymore :/
I agree, it is always unfortunate if people who have a long history with a community leave it or are being thrown out. Beard was not an active poster (under that username?) here, but having worked for the community for a decade makes him an important part of the community either way.

Redneckerz

I agree, it is always unfortunate if people who have a long history with a community leave it or are being thrown out. Beard was not an active poster (under that username?) here, but having worked for the community for a decade makes him an important part of the community either way.
To be fair, account approvals, i never saw Beard at OldGAF. Perhaps he is invisible again now, but who knows.

I just wish we could wish him the goodbyes instead of a silent exit. Beards in a forest have souls too.

Yoshi

To be fair, account approvals, i never saw Beard at OldGAF. Perhaps he is invisible again now, but who knows.

I just wish we could wish him the goodbyes instead of a silent exit. Beards in a forest have souls too.
I suspect staff member who are not Evilore himself get new accounts to protect them from the usual harassment (e.g. from Kiwifarms), so Beard might have had an active account before. If you are not interested in forum discussions, you will probably also not be interesting doing account approvals afterall..

Either way, if you read this Beard, goodbye and maybe see you at a later time.

MrRogers

I've been permed twice. First joined in 2005 after I jumped from the 1up boards, got permed initially because I made a feminist fat joke when the progressive inquisition took over the board circa 2011-2012. I thought it was funny, the mod with the Samuel Jackson avatar however did not (complete with snarky ban msg, that guy was a c--t). Second time I got banned it was when Smokey Dave was being mobbed by progs (he was finally banned in that thread and I went zfg) I called the mob in that thread a bunch of spineless dickless bootlickers and Dave was a better poster than what any of them could muster in a thousand years.. I think one of the angy transsexual mods banned me then. I went by Mrmartel. Its good to be home.

D

Deleted member 749832

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore EviLore Can I please get some clarification on banning practices? On ERA I was perma'd recently on a thread about a kid in a Florida school being arrested. It was a thread based on very light details and I asked that people let the facts come out and see what the full picture. I acknowledged clearly that the substitute teacher had certainly taken on liability by not knowing the rules about not enforcing the pledge of allegiance onto students and thus escalated the situation.

Fast forward the thread and I got banned for "history of severe infractions (never had any prior infractions), trolling (I generally only posted in the PC and TV advice threads. My most recent was helping with the high end PC mobo guide) and doxxing (posting public info from the Police Department site is not doxxing)." In summary, because I wasn't willing to slam the cop and school while making a hero out of the kid with limited data thus I was the bad guy for asking for more details.

How they and other choose to run their site is perfectly fine by me. I'm a guest after all.

I'd link the thread but I'm sure someone wanting to review my conduct can find it themselves without giving the site mass clicks through here. Mainly, I don't want to spend time and energy here if principals are similar. I suppose there would be value to get your take on the thread and conduct, in the abstract, not specific to any one user if you have a chance to review it.

Yoshi

EviLore EviLore Can I please get some clarification on banning practices? On ERA I was perma'd recently on a thread about a kid in a Florida school being arrested. It was a thread based on very light details and I asked that people let the facts come out and see what the full picture. I acknowledged clearly that the substitute teacher had certainly taken on liability by not knowing the rules about not enforcing the pledge of allegiance onto students and thus escalated the situation.

Fast forward the thread and I got banned for "history of severe infractions (never had any prior infractions), trolling (I generally only posted in the PC and TV advice threads. My most recent was helping with the high end PC mobo guide) and doxxing (posting public info from the Police Department site is not doxxing)." In summary, because I wasn't willing to slam the cop and school while making a hero out of the kid with limited data thus I was the bad guy for asking for more details.

How they and other choose to run their site is perfectly fine by me. I'm a guest after all.

I'd link the thread but I'm sure someone wanting to review my conduct can find it themselves without giving the site mass clicks through here. Mainly, I don't want to spend time and energy here if principals are similar. I suppose there would be value to get your take on the thread and conduct, in the abstract, not specific to any one user if you have a chance to review it.
This thread should answer that for you: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/empi...e-police-investigating-possible-hoax.1471680/

Dunki

Always sad to see and hear how people get banned there.

As for the policies here. You can not get banned fo opinions. At least that I know. You only have problems if you personal attack people on he forum for as an example having a different opinion view than you. Also if you really go berserk for whatever reason in a single thread you most likely get a thread ban. Note I am no a mod or Admin but this is my experience here as a user.

There's no actual written forum rules right now, outside of the general terms of service, but here's some advice from what I've noticed in the last year or so:

Do not insult this forum, the moderators here, or generalize the people posting here as a group. That's the main one that I see people get banned for.

Do not be racist, sexist, or homophobic. However, don't let that worry you about having an opinion either. Hating, distrusting, or generalizing people because of how they were born is not okay. But take a look at a Colin Kapernick thread, or a sexualized game characters thread, or a gay wedding cake thread, and you'll see opposing thought and actual disagreement is welcome.

No one is going to tell you how to think here.

If you want to not just be never permanently banned from the forum, but also want to steer clear of any suspensions or moderator actions, I have this advice to give. Always show as much or more respect to a person you disagree with than they're currently showing to you. If they're trolling, you won't give them the reaction they want. If they're genuine, it can help deescalate things. And if they remain hostile or increase their hostility, it won't look good for them.

Avoiding sarcasm is also usually a good idea for a healthy conversation. And get yourself an avatar. And don't be a stranger to the gaming forum.

Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of any page and look for "bans" to see a full explanation of why people were were banned.

Welcome to NeoGAF.

D

Deleted member 749832

Unconfirmed Member
There's no actual written forum rules right now, outside of the general terms of service, but here's some advice from what I've noticed in the last year or so:

Do not insult this forum, the moderators here, or generalize the people posting here as a group. That's the main one that I see people get banned for.

Do not be racist, sexist, or homophobic. However, don't let that worry you about having an opinion either. Hating, distrusting, or generalizing people because of how they were born is not okay. But take a look at a Colin Kapernick thread, or a sexualized game characters thread, or a gay wedding cake thread, and you'll see opposing thought and actual disagreement is welcome.

No one is going to tell you how to think here.

If you want to not just be never permanently banned from the forum, but also want to steer clear of any suspensions or moderator actions, I have this advice to give. Always show as much or more respect to a person you disagree with than they're currently showing to you. If they're trolling, you won't give them the reaction they want. If they're genuine, it can help deescalate things. And if they remain hostile or increase their hostility, it won't look good for them.

Avoiding sarcasm is also usually a good idea for a healthy conversation. And get yourself an avatar. And don't be a stranger to the gaming forum.

Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of any page and look for "bans" to see a full explanation of why people were were banned.

Welcome to NeoGAF.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm a low participant user anyhow and will be primarily here for gaming elements (not system wars!). On the occasion where I might participate in a social or political thread, it's usually to learn something or share a perspective based on niche knowledge or actual life experience. My main concern is not dumping one echo chamber for another. Progress suffocates when voices are choked.

Appreciate you taking the time to type that out and I'll do my best to find an avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMatt555

I was going to suggest to write a PM but even with nearly 1500 posts you are still a junior so i reckon there was something prior here.

Sad to see you go, but activity was not that high.

EviLore EviLore to put some context in, Above user also made a request to member status last year in this thread. Perhaps this was missed?
I don't want to leave, I have a request but I'd rather say it privately. I haven't been granted back member status since the old mods hit me, tho.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

I don't want to leave, I have a request but I'd rather say it privately. I haven't been granted back member status since the old mods hit me, tho.
I see. Well that's refreshing! Ill tag EviLore EviLore once more to reinstate your PM capabilities so you can make that request.

You do know we have a Discord too?

Velius

Banned
I'm not really privy to the details of everything but from the comments on these bans, this "bish" person sounds like a serious douchebag obsessed with throwing internet weight around.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not really privy to the details of everything but from the comments on these bans, this "bish" person sounds like a serious douchebag obsessed with throwing internet weight around.
There was a cult of personality around him, that I think after a while went to his head. There were a lot of excited members that loved to watch him run through threads with his “lawnmower” and a billion banned memes based off him.

Basically any banned meme with Sam Jackson in it is derivative of a Bish meme.

There was a cult of personality around him, that I think after a while went to his head. There were a lot of excited members that loved to watch him run through threads with his “lawnmower” and a billion banned memes based off him.

Basically any banned meme with Sam Jackson in it is derivative of a Bish meme.
Crowd psychology at its finest.

Kagey K

Banned
Crowd psychology at its finest.
Oh yeah, absolutely and he actively encouraged it.

I remember he’d jump into controversial threads once they hit a certain size and just say “Vroom vroom” or “BRB going to the shed” which would result in 5 pages of “OH shit,” “yes,” and “Here we go” with a smattering of Sam Jackson gifs.

Then people would celebrate as the bodies mounted, usually all on the “wrong” side of that discussion.

I know I would usually nope the hell out of a thread, as soon as I saw him post in it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Oh yeah, absolutely and he actively encouraged it.

I remember he’d jump into controversial threads once they hit a certain size and just say “Vroom vroom” or “BRB going to the shed” which would result in 5 pages of “OH shit,” “yes,” and “Here we go” with a smattering of Sam Jackson gifs.

Then people would celebrate as the bodies mounted, usually all on the “wrong” side of that discussion.

I know I would usually nope the hell out of a thread, as soon as I saw him post in it.
0130_dmm8.gif

Yes, same here. The People being happy to see others go down made me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom